[mod] Superimposed Window Frames [si_frames]

h-v-smacker
GitHub: h-v-smacker
In-game: Smacker

[mod] Superimposed Window Frames [si_frames]

by h-v-smacker » Post

A collection of frames you can put over existing xpanes and similar glass types to add a wooden frame for a window. I tried it with stained glass, for example. For obsidian panes it obviously makes no difference, because it's completely transparent in the middle.
The mod uses shifted 3d models, so technically the frame node is in front of the window (where its hitbox appears), and the frame gets overlaid with the glass pane, creating an illusion that the glass is inside the frame.

Currently, 4 frametypes are available: square, quartered, and two varieties of diagonally partitioned.
The wood comes from default or ethereal, but any other wood types should also work as long as the grain of the wood in the texture image runs left-to-right (as opposed to say, ethereal bamboo floors).

Foreseeing a certain question: I also tried to make a "universal frame" of sorts to cover windows of any size (using the attached node mechanism), but it proved to be an ultimately fruitless venture (among other things, attached nodes cannot be rotated). So now I don't know if I should add objects to make one large frame spanning multiple blocks, because that would be at least two objects (corner and side), and I think it's too much.

AGPL 3.0

https://github.com/h-v-smacker/si_frames
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (536.32 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [mod] Superimposed Window Frames [si_frames]

by Stix » Post

Very interesting, ive been looking for something like this! Does it automatically cover any wood node from mods? Also what about window frames made from trees?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

Stix wrote:Very interesting, ive been looking for something like this! Does it automatically cover any wood node from mods? Also what about window frames made from trees?
No, you need to add the node names and their parent mod names into a list. I added only some wood types so far. Every name produces 4 registered nodes though.
Stix wrote:Also what about window frames made from trees?
I think that's pushing it too far. Like frames out of mushroom spores. Or sand. I want to add baked clay though. Because it looks generic enough for a colored frame.
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

h-v-smacker wrote: I think that's pushing it too far. Like frames out of mushroom spores. Or sand. I want to add baked clay though. Because it looks generic enough for a colored frame.
A white wooden frame plus a white one with another texture (baked clay or whatever works best) in combination with hardware coloring might offer quite a lot of options for painted window frames. The screenshots look very good.
A list of my mods can be found here.

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

Sokomine wrote:
h-v-smacker wrote: I think that's pushing it too far. Like frames out of mushroom spores. Or sand. I want to add baked clay though. Because it looks generic enough for a colored frame.
A white wooden frame plus a white one with another texture (baked clay or whatever works best) in combination with hardware coloring might offer quite a lot of options for painted window frames. The screenshots look very good.
Not that many: using a palette with facedir nodes only leaves 8 colors...

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

You could go for wallmounted. Most of the facedir directions would be indistinguishable due to symmetry anyway. In effect there are only four (or perhaps even only two) ways the node can be placed: north-south and east-west. With that, there'd be room for more color than would be convenient.
A list of my mods can be found here.

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

Sokomine wrote:You could go for wallmounted. Most of the facedir directions would be indistinguishable due to symmetry anyway. In effect there are only four (or perhaps even only two) ways the node can be placed: north-south and east-west. With that, there'd be room for more color than would be convenient.
(1) You can place the frames flat as well. Won't work well with glass panes from xpanes (will be limited to 1xN windows), but there are other glass types which work better.

(2) While I made symmetrical frames so far, I'm not bound to continue doing so. E.g. I can make a frame with a window sill.