Minetest 5.0.0 is on the road

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

Re: Minetest 5.0.0 is on the road

by csirolli » Post

Guys this is not a PvP forum. Lol. You guys are crazy.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

5.0.0 will come in some months. In some months means 2/3 months for development. Therefore don`t worry.

Nutty8
In-game: Nutty8

by Nutty8 » Post

Man, I came across this topic and it was impossible to not laugh near the end. Seriously, for me, it's just a number switch. C'mon, even calling the previous versions with that zero at the start, it would take years to be used (to change by one!), so that zero cannot be more useless than it is right now. (O_o)
And being SemVer or not, it's still a version number, officially or not. Call it by a codename if you want :')
(Minetest DatPreciousZero Version, (5.0.0))
But it can really bring a bit of confusion, it would be good if a big announcement around this subject was made, maybe in the website (and also in the forum).

Also, I have a question.
Why mobs aren't native in Minetest? I think that 5.1.0 (corrected by v-rob ( >u0)) would be a nice opportunity to introduce mobs as native features. Playing MTG as survival, offline and without mobs, makes swords and armor pretty pointless...
I tried mods for mobs (mob engine, nssm, and even TenPlus1's Mobs Redo which is very good!), but relying in an interpreted language (such as Lua) to deal with objects which require constant processing doesn't seem to be a good idea...
Last edited by Nutty8 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
In love with Minetest

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Nutty8 wrote:I think that 0.5.1...
All that talking about version numbers, and you goofed it up right afterwords :-P
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Nutty8 wrote:I think that 0.5.1 would be a nice opportunity to introduce mobs as native features.
Having a formspec replacement and a better networking code would be nice too - oh and please a native realms API. Would be lovely. What works in commercial projects with TODOs and deadlines doesn't work out that well in open-source projects like Minetest. We're happy to see new contributors so that the project goes onward faster.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Nutty8

by Nutty8 » Post

v-rob wrote:
Nutty8 wrote:I think that 0.5.1...
All that talking about version numbers, and you goofed it up right afterwords :-P
Oh man, I was just so hyped by the news of a major release four or five months ago
And only discovered before yesterday that the number changed :')
I went everywhere speaking "OMG! 0.5.0 is coming!"
Force of habit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In the end what matters is that it's on the road (crying of happiness).
In love with Minetest

Nutty8

by Nutty8 » Post

Krock wrote:
Nutty8 wrote:I think that 0.5.1 would be a nice opportunity to introduce mobs as native features.
Having a formspec replacement and a better networking code would be nice too - oh and please a native realms API. Would be lovely. What works in commercial projects with TODOs and deadlines doesn't work out that well in open-source projects like Minetest. We're happy to see new contributors so that the project goes onward faster.
I think the same about network (mainly after playing OpenTTD online) and formspec.
Also,
What can I do to be a Minetest (Game or not) developer?
EDIT: (My first programming language was C++, I also studied C in high's school integrated technical lessons and college (in addition to Python), but I'm very bad at graphical interfaces and using other libraries except for the standard ones (because only made console applications).) i'm reading the development wiki. And about TODOs and deadlines, I know that the work is totally based in passion, but such features cannot be implemented individually by a developer at own rhythm?
In love with Minetest

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

nrz wrote:Minetest next release will be a breaking compat release.
is there a estimated time for completion?
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

ManElevation wrote:
nrz wrote:Minetest next release will be a breaking compat release.
is there a estimated time for completion?
Merely few months for the development.

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

Andrey01 wrote:Merely few months for the development.
? dint they start like a year ago?
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

ManElevation wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:Merely few months for the development.
? dint they start like a year ago?
This is breaking update. And so updates are usually developed for a long time. Very long development also may mean the update will be massive and it will contain multiplicity of changes, bugfixes and content. That`s why be patient! I hope the devs will release it in 1 or 2 months.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Andrey01 wrote:I hope the devs will release it in 1 or 2 months.
That would be awesome, yes. But seeing the development speed and the recent releases I assume the new release won't be available till late Q4/2018 or early Q1/2019.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Nutty8 wrote:What can I do to be a Minetest (Game or not) developer?
First of all, getting familiar with the core structure. The wiki provides some help but for the other parts you'll have to look into the source and follow the function call paths.
Afterwards there are 700-800 issues on GitHub, whereas some might only be a few changed lines to implement or fix (provided that the right code location is known). The graphical interface is just one part of many, so that isn't a problem.
See also: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... IBUTING.md

(Not really an) EDIT: C++ is the main language of Minetest aside the Lua code in builtin, so that works out perfectly. Indeed are most of the TODOs big projects which require much planning so that the pull requests stay reviewable (5000 new lines are hard to review btw). It is however possible to break up a bigger project into smaller portions: code refactors, API implementation + docs, final tidy and optimizations (+ bugfixes?).
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

u34

by u34 » Post

Krock wrote:
Nutty8 wrote:What can I do to be a Minetest (Game or not) developer?
First of all, getting familiar with the core structure. The wiki provides some help but for the other parts you'll have to look into the source and follow the function call paths.
Afterwards there are 700-800 issues on GitHub, whereas some might only be a few changed lines to implement or fix (provided that the right code location is known). The graphical interface is just one part of many, so that isn't a problem.
See also: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... IBUTING.md

(Not really an) EDIT: C++ is the main language of Minetest aside the Lua code in builtin, so that works out perfectly. Indeed are most of the TODOs big projects which require much planning so that the pull requests stay reviewable (5000 new lines are hard to review btw). It is however possible to break up a bigger project into smaller portions: code refactors, API implementation + docs, final tidy and optimizations (+ bugfixes?).
same as Krock wrote.
i also learn C++ at school for over 20 years and I learn every day more and more about minetest.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Updated the change log for 5.0.0-dev, it's long: https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog

(Still needs some cleaning up to remove similar things, and aim it more at end users)
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Updated the change log for 5.0.0-dev, it's long: https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog

(Still needs some cleaning up to remove similar things, and aim it more at end users)
Wow. Very big content for 5.0.0 :)

And when was 0.4.17.2 released? Just i noticed it on that wiki.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

oh wow, If i want to support 5.0.0 I'll have to rewrite the entire code of ocular_networks
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

PolySaken wrote:oh wow, If i want to support 5.0.0 I'll have to rewrite the entire code of ocular_networks
I very much doubt this is the case
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
PolySaken wrote:oh wow, If i want to support 5.0.0 I'll have to rewrite the entire code of ocular_networks
I very much doubt this is the case
Yes, that was an exaggeration. However, player:get_attribute() and set_attribute are used many, many times. I would have to replace them all to use player:get_meta
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

PolySaken wrote:However, player:get_attribute() and set_attribute are used many, many times. I would have to replace them all to use player:get_meta
Better replace it with a custom wrapper that is used within your mod so you need to change this only once.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Better replace it with a custom wrapper that is used within your mod so you need to change this only once.
How would something like that be accomplished? I was under the impression that userdata values cannot be modified, since they are not ordinary tables but rather metatables with C-bindings.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
How would something like that be accomplished? I was under the impression that userdata values cannot be modified, since they are not ordinary tables but rather metatables with C-bindings.
I believe, correct me if i'm wrong, that linuxdirk meant a Lua function like the following:

Code: Select all

function ocular_networks.set_player_attr(player, attr, val)
   player:set_attribute(attr, val) -- or player:get_meta():set_string(attr, val)
end
this would allow me to change it here and affect it everywhere.
However, as the code is already in place and using :set_attribute() I would still be replacing it all, but with something else.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I usually do something like this in my mod's init files:

modname = {}

modname.foo = function (whatever)
  -- add functionality here
end
And then I use this exclusively throughout the mod's code that I load via dofile() and then after everything was executed I do modname = nil to get rid of the global table.

Instead of mod specific stuff one can easily use this to wrap around Minetest API functions. I usually add some sprinkles to the vanilla functions.

modname.set_attribute = function (player, attr, val)
    local modname = minetest.get_current_modname()
    player:set_attribute(modname..'_'..attr, val)
end
So it is automatically prefixed without having to provide the prefix all the time (can be done with getters, too.)

... and if you restrict yourself to this pattern you only have to change things in one place if the API changes.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Once 5.0.0 becomes the normal version to use I'll add all these failsafe thingies.
I was too short-sighted to do it earlier, and am to busy (lazy) to do it now.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

PolySaken wrote:I was too short-sighted to do it earlier, and am to busy (lazy) to do it now.
This applies to 80 percent of Minetest development as well :D