[Mod] Player Nametags [playertags]

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

[Mod] Player Nametags [playertags]

by LMD » Post

Player Nametags (playertags)

Adds player nametags floating above players.

About

Depends on modlib. Code licensed under the MIT License. Written by Lars Mueller aka LMD or appguru(eu).
The FreeMono characters are licensed under the GNU GPLv3 + font exception. playertag_bg.png is available under the same license or alternatively CC0.

Links
  • GitHub - sources, issue tracking, contributing
  • Discord - discussion, chatting
  • Minetest Forum - (more organized) discussion
  • ContentDB - releases (cloning from GitHub is recommended)
Screenshot

Setup

Install the mod like any other, using git clone https://github.com/appgurueu/playertags.git or installing via ContentDB & the in-game content manager. Enable it & modlib and you're done.

Features

Shows colored player nametags floating above players. Configurable.

Configuration

glow

Value from 0 to 15. Indicates brightness when it's dark. 15 means full brightness. Default is 7.

size

Positive number. Nametag size (character width) in blocks. Default is 0.25. If set to 0, nametags are just disabled.

step

Positive number. Each step seconds the nametag updates. Default is 0.1.
Attachments
playertags_showcase.png
playertags_showcase.png (480.54 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Last edited by LMD on Mon Dec 28, 2020 17:34, edited 13 times in total.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [MOD][TINY][GIT]Playertags[playertags]

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Am I right in guessing that you can't see the nametags through walls?
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

by Devy » Post

If using 5.0.0, needs an option for different vertical offset because of model change, otherwise, the tag is in player model's head. Good mod otherwise!

LMD

by LMD » Post

will change as soon as possible.

TalkLounge
GitHub: TalkLounge
In-game: TalkLounge

by TalkLounge » Post

Subgames Server: Sky World Subgames German Survival Server: Wildes Land 2 E-Mail: talklounge@yahoo.de

LMD

by LMD » Post

They are slightly different(font). Didn't know that. Anyway, magic-ctf features health rune, so np. Plus, mine has more configs.

Devy

by Devy » Post

Looking at the code for both: this one seems much more simple (maybe even more reliable) and it supports more characters. Also, The one TalkLounge linked needs each font in a different color whereas LMD's needs a base font and that base can be turned into any color you like.

LMD's is better for the following reasons:
  • -Easy to adjust the size of player tag entity.
    -Easy to adjust color.
    -Becuase it adjusts color in code, no reason to have a font stored for each color and served to each player that joins your server (five colors? Have to store five versions of the font and serve that to each client, using more bandwidth).
    -Supports a lot of different characters.
Thanks, LMD for the awesome mod! Rubenwardy might like to use this on his CTF server (uses TalkLounge linked version).

LMD

by LMD » Post

Needn't thank me for that ! Thank you for significantly improving my mood.

Devy

by Devy » Post

What license is your mod? You have this in the readme:
License : GPLv3
© Lars Müller
What is that copyright? Also, you need to include a license file with your code.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Devy wrote:What is that copyright?
It is irrelevant outside the United States. The sign doesn't have any legal relevance in jurisdictions around the world.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Devy wrote:What is that copyright?
It is irrelevant outside the United States. The sign doesn't have any legal relevance in jurisdictions around the world.
It would (in the US), were you to pay a (couple hundred bucks if you use a lawyer) or anywhere from $40-100US if you do it yourself, per item you want to copyright.
Copyright laws are complicated and, if you plan to copyright a number of works, best to probably have a lawyer handle it.
And yes, you have to pay an application fee, per official, legal copyright, per item or, piece of code/art/manuscript,etc., you wish to be protected by copyright laws.
It only makes sense, and is worth the $ 'if' someone violates the copyright. But then, you also have to find a lawyer or, have one on retainer (a retainer can be from $1500 to $5,000.00US), and that..., is just to have them on standby, and might last through 'possibly' one weeks worth of 'lawyerly kinda stuff', depending on the case and the amount of time spent (and they account for every minute, and round up to the nearest minute/half hour/hour)

The biggest things to consider going such a route..., is the probability/likelyhood of someone or some company trying to profit from your labour, and creativity.

Slapping a simple (c) on just about anything, is one of the leading scams/ (more like bluffs), going.
And it occurs around the world..., and is even a method or 'scare tactic' of some rather large businesses.
Just the symbol alone, is usually enough to deter a would-be violator (why risk the chance, right?) because 'if' the mark is legit..., you stand to lose a lot, financially, and reputation wise... (not a good risk for any company)

Anyway, It would be safe to venture, that not many works around here with the ole' (c) or other various means of portraying it, are legitimately, legally covered under an official copyright.
But..., always best to be safe, than sorry and besides..., even better, is to be respectful toward other skilled/creative people in the first place.

If I slap a copyright symbol on anything I do, and you violate the copyright..., the only way I can do anything about it is..., if I have a legitimate copyright to back that symbol up.
There is no possibly way you can 'violate' my copyright, if I don't actually have one on record.

Oh yeah and..., that copyright on record, must have been on record, prior to any violation of it.
I cannot use the symbol, without an actual copyright, and then go make it official after someone 'violates' it.
TO repeat..., the official, on record copyright, MUST predate the violation.
A Wonderful World

LMD

by LMD » Post

IMO writing "©" is just more beautiful than writing "by" Lars. I didn't think of that copyright discussion - it's just like with the artists : A digital signature !

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Tumeninodes: copyright is automatic and free. There is the issue of proving you made the original work, which can be done by mailing yourself a copy. Also, if someone violates it and doesn't listen to a DMCA notice then that's when you would need to get a lawyer involved

Copyright notices aren't needed to show something is copyrighted - everything is - it's needed to state clearly who the author is.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Tumeninodes: copyright is automatic and free. There is the issue of proving you made the original work, which can be done by mailing yourself a copy. Also, if someone violates it and doesn't listen to a DMCA notice then that's when you would need to get a lawyer involved

Copyright notices aren't needed to show something is copyrighted - everything is - it's needed to state clearly who the author is.
Yes, copyright is automatic as soon as you can prove you are the author of a work. I thing Tumeninodes mixed (c) for copyright with (r) for registered trademark (or TM). I don't know much about US law but all that Tumeninodes said corresponds to what I know about trademarks.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Tumeninodes: copyright is automatic and free. There is the issue of proving you made the original work, which can be done by mailing yourself a copy. Also, if someone violates it and doesn't listen to a DMCA notice then that's when you would need to get a lawyer involved

If you do not have proof of the copyright being registered, when pursuing an infringement case, in a court of law, (in the US), you have nothing.
There are also many things the copyright claimant/holder needs to prove, when suing for copyright infringement.
A Wonderful World

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

You don't register copyright, it's automatic
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

A Wonderful World

scorpx1

Re: [Mod] Player Nametags [playertags]

by scorpx1 » Post

on my server these tags are all showing in black text. how do i change it to bright white or something easier seen?

LMD

by LMD » Post

1. Download the newest playertags mod from ContentDB or GitHub

2. Configure it. This is done by going to the config folder, which is inside your world folder. Then edit playertags.json, changing the line "glow": 7 to "glow": 15 to make playertags as bright as possible in the dark.

3. Note that playertags inherit nametag color, so if a mod on your server makes them black, you have to fix that mod.

scorpx1

by scorpx1 » Post

yeah got that glow up to max, still a dark greyish tag. here goes the process of weeding out the 1 mod then.

LMD

by LMD » Post

Search nametag_color in your mod & game directories.

elized

by elized » Post

There is a bug that makes a small part of the nametag background remain and is visible through walls if show_nametag_backgrounds is enabled which is the default setting.

LMD

by LMD » Post

elized wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 13:03
There is a bug that makes a small part of the nametag background remain and is visible through walls if show_nametag_backgrounds is enabled which is the default setting.
Fixed (updated). The code was written before nametag backgrounds were a thing.