[Server] HOMETOWN

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: [Server] HOMETOWN

by GreenXenith » Post

Hey @ExeterDad, I don't know if this helps any, but
https://web.archive.org/web/20171221203 ... er.com:80/
There is an old archived version of the HOMETOWN forum. I don't know if that's useful or not though.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

GreenDimond wrote:Hey @ExeterDad, I don't know if this helps any, but
There is an old archived version of the HOMETOWN forum. I don't know if that's useful or not though.
Quite sure I made another archive more recently... Maybe it was just a thread.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

BBmine wrote:
GreenDimond wrote:Hey @ExeterDad, I don't know if this helps any, but
Quite sure I made another archive more recently... Maybe it was just a thread.
That is the latest archive of the front page, other pages are older or newer. Just depends.

This maybe be completely useless as well, an archive could be no help at all when rebuilding the site. I don't know.

RWЯ
GitHub: DreamCrusher
IRC: DabbetulArz
In-game: Hood

by RWЯ » Post

It looks like you added old Alamut save, when you have free time could you copy paste newer version from Bob8881 map save 2.6 GB one.
If I feel it then I do it (I don’t need a reason why)

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

RWЯ wrote:It looks like you added old Alamut save, when you have free time could you copy paste newer version from Bob8881 map save 2.6 GB one.
I wish it was as simple as "Copy and Paste". I added each map save oldest to newest according to information contributors gave me. If bob's huge map save was the most current, I would of added his last. Thus the freshest information would over write the older information if already in the database. bob's was added roughly in the middle of the pile of map saves sent by 9 people. The last save I added was one that was claimed to be saving as the server went down. It's possible that person visited your build long ago and had map data that didn't get updated, and it wrote over bobs.
Count your blessings you have a build at all Hood. Many have returned to find they've lost everything as there wasn't even old data of theirs to put in the new map.
If I re-add bobs save. It will likely take out many other builds, or update them wilth stale data. As we are fortunate to have anything at all to work with, and many were just fine with starting with a fresh slate and blank map... I think I'll not risk making things worse.

random_geek
GitHub: random-geek
In-game: Techy5 random_geek

by random_geek » Post

ExeterDad wrote: Count your blessings you have a build at all Hood. Many have returned to find they've lost everything as there wasn't even old data of theirs to put in the new map.
Some of my buildings were the wrong version as well. May I ask... if I were to produce a valid MT schematic for one or more buildings, could it be pasted over the existing copy with WorldEdit? No problem either way.

GitHub: 67221245191
IRC: 6722
In-game: 67221245191

by 6722 » Post

Lupercus wrote:Hello 6722, remember me? i have something for you, but you are not going to like it
lupercus i think i remember you are you someone from switch pvp

by 6722 » Post

is green diamond on

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

6722 wrote:is green diamond on
Clearly you do not understand the concept of a forum.
If you wish to chat with people in real time, and ask useless questions like "is green diamond on", then please, install Discord https://discordapp.com/ and check out our Discord server https://discord.gg/v7tYMMk.
People will gladly answer your questions there.

by 6722 » Post

I have discord but i dont know your usernamr on discord

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

6722 wrote:I have discord but i dont know your usernamr on discord
I'll tell you if you join this Discord https://discord.gg/v7tYMMk
I'm in it
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

wwww
In-game: wwww

by wwww » Post

Hi! I have a land in which i built my house (that is lost with ALL my inventory deposited into it, so sad!), and now i have found this area at the original state (before my first "visit") but protected exactly like i placed problocks previously, but literally *without* them: there are like invisible! I want to move a problock but actually I can't :) Do anyone have the same problem?

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

wwww wrote:Hi! I have a land in which i built my house (that is lost with ALL my inventory deposited into it, so sad!), and now i have found this area at the original state (before my first "visit") but protected exactly like i placed problocks previously, but literally *without* them: there are like invisible! I want to move a problock but actually I can't :) Do anyone have the same problem?
Not sure what you're asking about the pro blocks. If you are not able to place any... it's possible there are buried protection blocks you can't see? If you hold a protection block or a logo and strike the ground with it. A message should appear telling you if a protection block is in place, and it will even print out the cords of where to find it for removal.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

wwww wrote:Hi! I have a land in which i built my house (that is lost with ALL my inventory deposited into it, so sad!), and now i have found this area at the original state (before my first "visit") but protected exactly like i placed problocks previously, but literally *without* them: there are like invisible! I want to move a problock but actually I can't :) Do anyone have the same problem?
That is not possible. Unlike some other protection mods, the protection mod used on this server does not store the co-ordinates of protected areas separately but instead uses the actual protection blocks in the map when checking if an area is protected.

What makes you think that the area is protected? If you can build in that area this means that it's probably unprotected. If you can't build in that area then someone else has probably protected it before you got there. Holding a protection block in your hand and left-clicking/punching in an area will show you if it's protected, where the protection block is located, and who is allowed to build there.

wwww
In-game: wwww

by wwww » Post

Blocks are not buried, and the problem is: in the map I see areas correctly protected by me as I have done before the big crash, but there are not problocks in them.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

wwww wrote:Blocks are not buried, and the problem is: in the map I see areas correctly protected by me as I have done before the big crash, but there are not problocks in them.
Ohhhhhh! I know what you mean. The blocks shown by the map on the web are not accurate now. The database is not aware that we had massive map loss, so the recorded positions have not been removed.
This is going to be tricky to fix as not all protection blocks where lost.

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
wwww wrote:Blocks are not buried, and the problem is: in the map I see areas correctly protected by me as I have done before the big crash, but there are not problocks in them.
Ohhhhhh! I know what you mean. The blocks shown by the map on the web are not accurate now. The database is not aware that we had massive map loss, so the recorded positions have not been removed.
This is going to be tricky to fix as not all protection blocks where lost.
  1. I didn't realise that the map was back online.
  2. Can't it be done the same way that it was done when the map was first implemented and there was no existing database of protection blocks?

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

micheal65536 wrote:Can't it be done the same way that it was done when the map was first implemented and there was no existing database of protection blocks?
I made the sqlite database for the web map way late in the game. So to get all protections listed since the begininning I parsed all the logs from the beginning and recorded the positions into the database. Once completed, the new logs are parsed nightly and the database added to. I was trying to keep the whole process outside of Minetest to not slow anything down.
I can't start over in the same way from when we got back online. There's many blocks that survived and many that did not.
I'll likely go another way and set up LBM's so the old blocks are discovered and recorded when the areas are loaded.
But this won't happen for a bit as I need to get my mind around getting the other forums up and running as they are just too useful. I'm thinking about ditching PhBB for NodeBB. It's pretty. But would require me to dive head first into javascript and a Node.js server. I'm trying not to make this decision without some thought.

shacharr
In-game: shacharr

by shacharr » Post

lprchaum_ wrote:I just visited the server and it's in surprising good shape. My base was there, maybe a few weeks work was lost. Many thanks to Bob8881 for providing the mapsave that included that place. Some glitches here and there but we'll get over it. Thank you EDad for bringing it back online!
Your base - does it contain bob8881's tower by chance? If so, I believe I managed to stumble upon it. I have found it amazing! Brought back amazing memories from my actual travel to Japan :).

lprchaum_
In-game: lprchaum

by lprchaum_ » Post

ExeterDad wrote: I made the sqlite database for the web map way late in the game. So to get all protections listed since the begininning I parsed all the logs from the beginning and recorded the positions into the database. Once completed, the new logs are parsed nightly and the database added to. I was trying to keep the whole process outside of Minetest to not slow anything down.
I can't start over in the same way from when we got back online. There's many blocks that survived and many that did not.
I'll likely go another way and set up LBM's so the old blocks are discovered and recorded when the areas are loaded.
The online map is incredibly useful, so my vote goes to fixing that. It's so much easier to place protection blocks and correct badly placed ones. But I'm sure you have reasons for your priorities, and once again, thank you for your work EDad!
l-rbt l-ʻštrt ʼšr qdš ʼz w-šnt lmʼš ʼlm b-bty šnt km h kkb m ʼl -Pyrgi Tablets

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:I'm thinking about ditching PhBB for NodeBB. It's pretty. But would require me to dive head first into javascript and a Node.js server. I'm trying not to make this decision without some thought.
I wouldn't do that. phpBB is pretty timeless and with a modern theme (like the one that you used to use) it doesn't look outdated at all. And it's one of the easiest forum applications to set up (it will run on anything with PHP and a supported database backend available). It might also be worth looking at MyBB, it's also written in PHP but it has a wider range of themes and plugins available (and more out-of-the-box features) last time I checked. It supports PostgreSQL as a database backend and of course it is open source. I had no difficulty setting up MyBB on my Apache + MySQL stack last time I tried (it was comparable to phpBB).

But if you want to go "modern" and you're looking for something simple to set up, Discourse is available as a pre-built Docker container as long as you can use Docker. Otherwise you'll find that most of the "modern" web applications require awkward dependencies like Node.js, Ruby on Rails, and other such nonsense. Also in my experience/opinion most of these applications are bloated and provide a frustrating user experience for users with lower-powered computers or mobile devices.
lprchaum_ wrote:The online map is incredibly useful, so my vote goes to fixing that. It's so much easier to place protection blocks and correct badly placed ones. But I'm sure you have reasons for your priorities, and once again, thank you for your work EDad!
To be honest I've always been somewhat concerned that it is open to abuse. Someone could easily look around someone else's protected areas until they find a gap in the protection, and can then grief that area or place their own protection. Or they could simply find large unprotected areas on the server and snap them up, without the constraint of having to actually travel around on the server to find unprotected areas.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Nodejs is very easy to install and run an application. Not awkward at all.

Worth noting that both the server list and the ContentDB use python/flask which is a lot more complicated to deploy than node
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Nodejs is very easy to install and run an application. Not awkward at all.

Worth noting that both the server list and the ContentDB use python/flask which is a lot more complicated to deploy than node
Node.js (and similar frameworks such as Ruby on Rails) is difficult to deploy alongside an existing stack. For example, I use Apache with multiple vhosts. To run a Node.js application alongside Apache on its own vhost would require running the Node.js application on another port and setting up Apache as a proxy (which is more work than I'm willing to put in for something that I'll use once or twice a month and can find an alternative). Of course, it's also usually impossible (if not very complicated) to install the application in a subdirectory of the HTTP path (e.g. "mysite.lan/forum" instead of "forum.mysite.lan") because it's running on a different server to the rest of the path.

In my experience, nothing beats the flexibility and portability of PHP-based web applications. Simply unpack the tarball in a directory on your HTTP server of choice (Apache, Nginx, or whatever you like to use) and you're ready to go. There's no reason to avoid PHP when it can do everything that a simple web application should need (including your examples of the server list and the content database, where the only reason to use another framework is because you're more familiar with that framework or prefer it for some other reason).

I did also try Docker at one time but it had two annoying issues. Firstly, Docker's networking implementation messed with my NetworkManager configuration and hijacked my firewall tables to implement its own traffic routing. Secondly, Docker didn't have a suitable restart policy for me. I wanted "restart container when host is restarted, unless container was manually stopped, and don't restart container when it crashes". Apparently that's too complicated for Docker (the closest option was "restart container when host is restarted regardless of whether or not it was manually stopped, and restart the container when it crashes", the former of which is stupid because if I've stopped the container I want it to stay stopped regardless of what happens with the host and the latter of which is also stupid because a crashing container is broken and needs to be manually fixed otherwise it could further corrupt e.g. a database or continue to hog system resources).

/rant

Lupercus
GitHub: lupercus13
IRC: Lupercus-Server
In-game: Lupercus

by Lupercus » Post

hi guys sorry for the misunderstanding
Last edited by Lupercus on Sat Aug 11, 2018 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Lupercus wrote:I was banned from this server without reason.
Had you not left the Discord, you would have received an answer to your question.
And would have seen my question.
And it should have displayed a reason. Odd if it didn't.
Anyway, as you are related to bender, you have been banned as a side-effect of being on the same IP.