[Server] VanessaE's Survival Server [5.4.0]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Re: [Server] VanessaE's Survival Server [0.4.16]

by VanessaE » Post

Something went wrong in the past 48 hours, causing some kind of unspecified damage to the world, which neither I nor any of my admins were able to locate, which resulted in excruciatingly poor server performance, to the point of basically being unplayable.

I was forced to restore from the Sunday morning backup. This affects the world/map content, player inventories, bags, waypoints, and anything else that is routinely stored in the world directory.

Everything is exactly as it was at 5am CET on Sunday (minor griefing repairs aside).

I don't know exactly what happened, but what I *am* sure of is that it wasn't any kind of hardware failure, or Minetest/engine bug, or storage issue, or remote exploit, or anything of the like. Rather, the event in question (whatever the hell it was) triggered some kind of CPU-usage bug in Technic, Pipeworks, Mesecons, or some combination of these, and that whatever it was occurred some time between Sunday 5:05 am CET and Monday 5:00 am CET.

I regret any inconvenience this causes you folks. It sucks having to restore from backups, but at least all that was lost was a little time.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

some old picture from spawn in 2013
see more at:
https://imgur.com/a/sk370

piesquared
GitHub: piecubed
IRC: piesquared
In-game: piesquared Matthias

by piesquared » Post

*Note to cheapie*. Please restock your store more often, I will be starting a business and we will need cheap supplies! And from what I have heard, you have a great store. Also, are the quarries back up and running? Thanks!

piesquared
GitHub: piecubed
IRC: piesquared
In-game: piesquared Matthias

by piesquared » Post

Thanks for all the work you have put into this! This looks like the best server ever!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

WARNING:

Someone is redirecting traffic from IP address 104.250.138.199 to my servers on daconcepts.com.

I don't know how, or why (it may be an attempt by someone to frame me for bot activity), but if you see that IP address in your logs, IT IS NOT FROM daconcepts.com! Unless you all hear directly from me here or on IRC, my server's IP address is 188.165.239.81, and NOTHING else (to my knowledge).

If you suspect malicious activity from any IP, I highly advise you look up what host actually owns the IP address, ignore any domain name that seems (or is claimed) to be associated with the IP, and contact that host's abuse department. In this instance, that would be https://www.gorillaservers.com/contact.php as they are the owners of the malicious IP address. I would appreciate it if you do not mention me or daconcepts.com, since doing so may confuse the issue, and clearly neither I nor my servers are associated with any malicious activity of any kind.

I have already discussed the issue with my host and have raised an abuse complaint with the offending host.

I have not, to my recollection, authorized any redirects, proxies, alternate DNS services, other domain names, or any other unusual resources to point at my server, except as may pertain to individual minetest instances or services that I host for a few trusted individuals.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

pheonixfire
In-game: pheonix

by pheonixfire » Post

Hi Vanessa,

I would like to change my skin to the following
http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/1602697/cyborg/

Also would it be at all possible to add the advanced trains mod?

best regards
pheonixfire

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

You skin has been uploaded, and will take effect at the usual time. As for trains, sorry, no. I'm not adding any new mods, and last time I played with that one, it was too complicated to use, and I never heard back from the author on my comments.

pheonixfire
In-game: pheonix

by pheonixfire » Post

Hi Vanessa,

I accidently mined the central mine rope, I have replaced it with the exception of
the public mine lobby since it wuldn't let the rope through

regards
pheonixfire

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

No worries, it'll get replaced eventually.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Due to excessive lag caused by users abusing Technic and other mods that lack any kind of CPU usage limiting, this server has been shut down until further notice.

Please try my Basic Plus server instead: daconcepts.com 30005

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

What have you shut down these both servers for? Can they no longer work due to that lag or what?

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Btw, and what have the users messed things up on your servers what ever your CPU did not have enough memory?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Technic is slow to do things, and when you have large power networks, and lots of complex machines, it takes a long time to make network calculations. My servers have gotten so complex that Technic takes all the available CPU - since it won't throttle itself down - preventing people from even logging in.

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

Give TechPack a try. A small, lean, and efficient technic mod. Link in the footer.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I saw that mod before, and I would try it, if it could outright replace Technic. The server has so much stuff built-up that it's impossible to switch to a leaner mod, unless it has aliases and such and operates more or less the same. Otherwise I'd end up with a whole *lot* of unknown nodes.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The server has a long time ago become too heavy for my machine. But at least that was local lag only, preventing me from going to spawn. I hope that there can eventually be a way to run the server again. There's no need for technic to actually work. Maybe all power transmitting cables, all actual activity (abms etc.) could be reduced to zero?
A list of my mods can be found here.

MOZ
In-game: MOZ

by MOZ » Post

Hello, you know me from Survival...

Some thoughts and experiences:

• Clouds are looking nice - but noone needs them….
• There are no mobs - so why a day-night-system...

• Floating is a big laggy thing:
- try to dig dust under water
after 100 pieces it begins: dust digged or not digged (building bug) - water or not water - what means floating or not floating water... and in combination with sand - falling down sand or not falling down..... --- MANY operations --- growing lag....
- basalt / pumice machines
combination of lava and water is giving basalt and pumice - good - buuuut: why is this combination randomized? i have a machine with lines of lava vs. lines of water.... you should mean the creation of pumice and basalt is at the same time.... but no - one block gets a new block - the other not... - and sure - if my 4 creator machines run - what means 20 blocks of pumice and 20 blocks of basalt - i can go sleeping - cause of the lag.... - and if someone else comes to this place - internals are possible.....
- but the problem with the da*n lava gets even bigger, if you go to a caverealm: the lava seems to spawn... every time you enter, you find a new lava stream.... many many blinking and floating blocks.... spreading and falling down.... and getting 1000s.... 1000000s of blocks..... - and depending of your view options - the clients want to know from your server, where all the lava is... and where it is fallen and floated.....
AND - meanwhile a few people are in cheapies obsidian cave - should be the biggest cave on the server - with 100s of lava ressources....
- and something else with lava: and cause of so much lava streams - you have crossing lava streams - which means - calculating so much lava from left and so much from right - and behind and before and above - which means enough lava for spreading again.... and in combination with a building bug.... LOOOOOOOOL.... i dont want to be the server...... i wouldnt wonder, if your server calculates 99% of the time only lava......

• Randomize?
- i built a machine
- row of 5 autocrafters - all doing the same....
- filled by 5 nodebreakers and 15 itemwise injectors combined with 5 fullfilled chests
- controlled by the same mesecon line
- you should mean - the five autocrafters should do the same....
- BUT some of the ITEMwise injectors are inject 2 items... the autocrafters are running full - the chests empty - in every autocrafter is something else - and producing at different times...
- AND the thing is even better - cause of the player dependence
- if the machine whould be bigger - one part (where the player is) whould work - another part not, cause it is to far away.... - and if another player is at a third part, this one whould even work....?!?!?!?
- WHAT SHALL THIS BE????? - a machine is switched on or of - a machine doesnt need a sun to grow - and the whole thing with player dependence can only cause problems...

• Spawn
- and this is the problem with the spawm, too - machines that are switching on, when someone comes to spawn
- and pre-calculation for tech is good - but how shall the server know, when a player comes to the server.....???

• Plants
- are spawning and growing with the same player dependence - why???? - do they need love?

--------------------------------------------

solutions:
• no clouds
• no day-night-modus
• less lava
• tech stuff needs a better controlling:
- a whole machine is switched on or not - no dependence, if a player is near to the machine
- tubes need a trashbin - broken tubes only cause problems
- every machine should need a switch (integrated in certain blocks like the nodebreakers) or the whole machine - like the switching station for power... - so a admin could switch off a machine, too
• the server should control the plants
- you could activate/deactivate spawning and randomize of certain plants - that whould be good, too, when new plants are installed
- the server could do (pre)calculations of the plants at less used times

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MOZ wrote: solutions:
• no clouds
AFAIK clouds are completely client-side.
MOZ wrote: • no day-night-modus
While the change from daylight to night and back again does put a severe strain on my poor graphics card, it is to my knowledge of no relevance to the server. The server just says "day" or "night". Some ABMs may be diffrent...
MOZ wrote: • less lava
Less lava is always good :-) I'm not sure if the lava is really the major problem. It is possible that it contributes.
MOZ wrote: • tech stuff needs a better controlling:
- a whole machine is switched on or not - no dependence, if a player is near to the machine
Trouble is: Machines in theory run only when someone is present and thus keeps the block loaded. What's the consequence of that? -> players love building complex machines close to/below spawn as those will run almost all the time and constantly produce. That's very tempting for all players but not really good for the economy.

[quot="MOZ"]
- tubes need a trashbin - broken tubes only cause problems
[/quote]
Havn't worked enough with them to say much about the tubes. But...if they don't get anything fed into them, they eventually ought to stop transporting?
MOZ wrote: - every machine should need a switch (integrated in certain blocks like the nodebreakers) or the whole machine - like the switching station for power... - so a admin could switch off a machine, too
Trouble here is: Should VanessaE be forced to run around each evening switching off all those factories we forgot to switch off? :-) Guess she's got better things to do :-) A manual switch for switching *off* is too impractical. Switching off automaticly after a short while after last player action would IMHO be better suited.
MOZ wrote: • the server should control the plants
The server does that already. Areas where no players are are not loaded, so the server can't really do anything there.

MOZ

by MOZ » Post

plants - not really

If i put dust and grass on it - it becomes the "dust with grass" after a while - and if i put flowers on it - they will spread - BUT only, if a player comes to the place. And when noone is coming - nothing is changing - not today and not tommorrow... - the server is not calculating the thing....

Admins and switching of machines
No Vanessa shall not run around the whole world alone - but do you know the sign of cheapie at spawn for the dye machine - he switched off the machine, cause of problems. Good thing.... but only one machine which is killed. An admin could deactivate the whole (unneeded) machines under spawn within an hour - when there would be switches. But so he would have to cut lines or remove blocks - which means - he has to destroy the machines.

Trash Bins
A running machine produces and produces blocks - at one point every chest is full - and then? Stack overflow. A trash bin could collect the overflow. Which would be good for sorting, producing, and quarries.

MOZ

by MOZ » Post

sorry . there was something missing...

But when the Server doesnt calculate the plants without a player - that doesnt make sense. Cause of this you get something stupid, like the papyrus and dye machines under the spawn. Cause the plants dont grow without players - the machines are placed under the meanpoint of ther server - hoping new players activate them - till the owner will come back. The other thing - i could stay logged in the whole day - but then i couldnt be at every machine at the same time. I would have to place a rail system under the whole machine park... sitting in the cart and driving under the whole machines....

SENSE - noone

The system now has to calculate everything, when a player is on. This means a spike of calculation. And if i am good, i have combined travelboxes - and running through the whole world - from field to field - from machine to machine - everytime causing a spike.... which means a growing lag......................................................

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

MOZ wrote: The system now has to calculate everything, when a player is on. This means a spike of calculation. And if i am good, i have combined travelboxes - and running through the whole world - from field to field - from machine to machine - everytime causing a spike.... which means a growing lag......................................................
Yes. That's one of the reason why I think that a time-based production system is problematic. We - the players - tend to wish for it - but it's not really good for anyone. What can be converted into ressources is activity of the player - not time passing (unless it's very short).

VanessaEs servers are well maintained and administrated. There ought to be no problem with handing out creative priv where it makes sense and inspires players to build something nice and large - even if the server as such is survival. AFAIK that already happened in the past. So the need for more materials isn't really pressing. Turning technic and other machines into purely decorative items ought to be sufficient in most cases. Just..do away with blinky plants, do away with energy production - add a machine where a minegeld note can be inserted, a button pressed, and then energy for a limited amount of time (say, a MT day) comes out of it. After that the energy source goes offline.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I've brought this server back online. By some magic, I've managed to convince it to run again :-)

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I thought you disabled technics quarries because of the lag monster it can be.

I would disable technics all together... reboot. do speed tests .... restore techincs do speed tests then you have benchmarks. Then disable each part of technics to see where the real lag is.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

maybe spawn areas on servers should be generally declared technic free zones :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Michael: it's a combo of Technic and mesecons (pipeworks used to be, but I have rate limiting implemented there). Quarries are no longer laggy, as far as I know.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too late for that, twoelk :-)