Connection timeout in my own server!

ManElevation
GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

Connection timeout in my own server!

by ManElevation » Post

heyaii! one question, why do i sometimes get connection timeout on my own server when im connected to the same network but using a different device?
other players from outside dont get timeout, but im the only one who does.
when this happens what i do is restart my router and internet, and that fixes it for a few hours
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

Chiantos

Re: Connection timeout in my own server!

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

Chiantos wrote:Hello,

When you connect to your server from a local machine, I advise you to use the local ip hosting the server and not the external ip.

Maybe ... It is likely that your Wifi is defective whether it is your modem or your machine. Your users will not have problems, because you probably use the host machine in ethernet, while you use I imagine the wifi to access your server.

Do you try to see, if the problem was still present, if you do not use the wifi?

If restarting your machine or your router resolve the problem, it is that there is a good chance that it is because of the router or the machine no longer able to send or receive the wifi, if one of the two to a hardware or software problem.

Good Day.
no i connect to the server with ethernet and sometimes on wifi, so that dosent have anything to do with it. and its defenly my router

843jdc
GitHub: jdc843
IRC: jdc843
In-game: 843jdc

by 843jdc » Post

It's worse when it happens with the server and client on the same machine! That was using the loopback IP address also. Definitely a WTH moment :/

My guess is that the server is very busy 'doing something'. Maybe you have more network traffic than your network connection can handle? Run a monitor to see the load on the server's cpu, memory/HDD read/writes, and network traffic.

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

843jdc wrote:It's worse when it happens with the server and client on the same machine! That was using the loopback IP address also. Definitely a WTH moment :/

My guess is that the server is very busy 'doing something'. Maybe you have more network traffic than your network connection can handle? Run a monitor to see the load on the server's cpu, memory/HDD read/writes, and network traffic.
i have fiber optic and alot of spare network while im hosting the servers, so definitely my network and my pc can handle the servers
but yes i will do the monitor thing

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

ManElevation wrote: why do i sometimes get connection timeout on my own server when im connected to the same network but using a different device?
other players from outside dont get timeout, but im the only one who does.
when this happens what i do is restart my router and internet, and that fixes it for a few hours
mhhh, not exactly but some similar here.

so tell me, to compare, if the MTS is configured onto a specific IP Address that it is listening ? (the IP of the MTS Machine)
are you connection with the own client from MTServer machine or also from other internal network machine with the internal IP (MTS IP) or via the external listed link address (external IP Router) ?

So one problem i saw myself:
* the running minetest-server MTServer doesn't like minetest client on same machine (causes core dump) - as here server and client are different versions
* when I connect from several internal other machines, Linux and Windows, I direct connect to the internal IP Address from the server (192.168.1.x)
* the difference at me is a closed port 3000 after some time running the MTS, like another new MTS blocked the port now ... so nobody could connect even the server runs (that seams not your part)
* also i put a secondary switch into my network, conecting first the MTS and internal clients, and from there to the router, so "save the routers" internal traffic from the internal minetest-server-client traffic - testing, but a hint

edit: some routers have a problem with too much traffic, so use a 2nd switch behing, where traffic from server and your client is direct passing, without the router, and only external gamers traffic goes through the router. if happen I have to reset the router also, as of too much. And after change the switches, much better.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ManElevation

by ManElevation » Post

easily fixed with a static ip and a subdomain