[Mod] Cave Realms Lite [caverealms_lite]

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

[Mod] Cave Realms Lite [caverealms_lite]

by Shara » Post

This caverealms fork provides the biomes and decorations from the original caverealms, with several additions and without the overhead of generating caves. The mapgen used will determine the shape and size of individual caves. This lowers the server resources the mod requires, for example CPU and RAM. This also removes the large lava spills created by the original caverealms.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Features:
  • Unnecessary features, including cave generation, removed for better performance.
  • Additional decorations (new type of glow worms and fire vines).
  • Bricks/stairs/glass added for glow obsidian.
  • Giant mushrooms can now be grown from mushroom saplings.
  • Underground moss/lichen/algae spreads over cobble.
  • Additional features if used with the Ethereal mod.
Compatibility:
As caverealms_lite does not generate its own caves, replacing caverealms with caverealms_lite might result in minor map generation issues. Please report any other issues (such as unknown nodes) by opening an issue on github, and we'll do our best to fix them.

Servers:
caverealms_lite has been tested on, and is used on the Dark Lands Survival and Xanadu servers.

Download: https://github.com/Ezhh/caverealms_lite ... master.zip

Source: https://github.com/Ezhh/caverealms_lite

License: This mod is released under FreeBSD License (Simplified).

Dependencies:
  • Required: default, stairs
  • Optional: ethereal, mobs
A huge thank you to:
  • Zeno - for huge amounts of work helping to make this version of caverealms possible.
  • HeroOfTheWinds - for the amazing original caverealms mod.
  • tenplus1 - for help and suggestions.
  • The players of Dark Lands Survival - for being our test subjects.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [Mod] Cave Realms Lite [caverealms_lite]

by rubenwardy » Post

Nice!
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

EPic!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Nice!!!!

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

Looks good. Do you still get fortresses?
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Hi duane - Those were one of the things we agreed not to keep, (after all, once you have seen one of them, you've really seen all of them), though the DM statues are still there and can now be crafted from hot cobble and glow ore.

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

At what depth does caverealms_lite start spawning?

Shara

by Shara » Post

roboto - There are a few different key depths. Caverealms start at -1500 and deep caverealms start at -7000. By default, the DM's Lair is between -14,000 to -16,000. You can find these values in config.lua and adjust if you'd like to.

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

Thanks for the info.

I'll look into contributing to this mod sometime.

Heraclitus

by Heraclitus » Post

Thanks so much for modifying this to avoid unnecessary cave generation.

Quick question: does the modification affect frequency of lava underground? You mention that code was modified to avoid large lava spills, but does the presence of caverealms_lite affect how often you might find lava caves underground in general now?

I ask because I've been testing this in a new world, and I've never encountered a world with seemingly so little lava as I dig deep. (This is also an issue because I'm also including Technic as a mod, and sulfur now has a number of uses, but it spawns near lava.)

It's possible that I'm just unlucky so far with the particular seed, but there really seems to be almost no lava in the deep regions now.

Shara

by Shara » Post

I don't think it will change the amount of lava, and I can't say I've noticed an unusual amount in my own uses of the mod. With that said, I haven't looked too closely into how lava is added, but there's nothing here done specifically to stop it appearing. I've sadly encountered maps with very little lava myself as well, so it is something that happens from time to time.

The avoidance of large lava spills comes by using the default mapgen and not adding the caverealms as separate caves. When they are separate caves they can cut through mapgen caves, causing lava in those caves to spill into the caverealms ones. So I guess overall we should have the same number of lava sources, but less flowing lava.

EdShouldBeInBed
In-game: EdShdBInBed

by EdShouldBeInBed » Post

Came across this while digging, boots me back to main menu (using minetest 0.4.17.1, personal game):

Code: Select all

2018-07-11 16:47:21: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'caverealms' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...ard/.minetest/games/edtest/mods/caverealms_lite/init.lua:312: attempt to call method 'stalagmite' (a nil value)
2018-07-11 16:47:21: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-07-11 16:47:21: ERROR[Main]: 	...ard/.minetest/games/edtest/mods/caverealms_lite/init.lua:312: in function <...ard/.minetest/games/edtest/mods/caverealms_lite/init.lua:66>
2018-07-11 16:47:21: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:420: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:400>
2018-07-11 16:47:21: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
2018-07-11 16:47:21: ACTION[Main]: [playereffects] Server shuts down. Rescuing data into playereffects.mt
2018-07-11 16:47:21: ACTION[Main]: [playereffects] Wrote playereffects data into /home/edward/.minetest/worlds/ICP/playereffects.mt.
First time I've gotten any sort of generation error with caverealms_lite. Thoughts?
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Thanks for reporting. I've not been able to duplicate this crash, and haven't had any reports back from the servers using the mod to suggest there might be a problem.

Could I ask if you have adjusted the mod in any way? And if not, was this a one off crash or is it frequent?

The mod is running on at least one 0.4.17.1 server, so I don't think it's about a change in that version.

SaKeL
GitHub: JurajVajda
IRC: SaKeL
In-game: SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

Nice to see some performance improvements to such a good mod, i will give it a try. Thank you all for the work!

Edit: i forgot that you can have probably only 1 "register_on_generated" fun() registered in 0.4.17 so i might me screwed

EdShouldBeInBed
In-game: EdShdBInBed

by EdShouldBeInBed » Post

Shara wrote:Thanks for reporting. I've not been able to duplicate this crash, and haven't had any reports back from the servers using the mod to suggest there might be a problem.

Could I ask if you have adjusted the mod in any way? And if not, was this a one off crash or is it frequent?

The mod is running on at least one 0.4.17.1 server, so I don't think it's about a change in that version.
Did some testing before answering. The crash kept happening, always on some caverealm generated item. I had not changed the mod in anyway. So I started from no mods and added mods one by one.

Apparently there was some conflict with jordan4ibanez's Hell mod, also based on Caverealms.

Once Hell was removed everything's fine.

I feel as if I've enacted some sort of parable...
I'm a writer who tinkers with code on occasion. I play minetest when insomnia makes the writing hard.

Shara

by Shara » Post

EdShouldBeInBed - thanks for confirming. Without trying to untangle the code, I assume they are somehow fighting with each other. Perhaps both will work if you make sure they don't try to seize control of the same depth regions?

SaKeL - I'm not aware of any issue with multiple "register_on_generated"s. There was an issue with multiple gennotify events though (fixed in 5.0). Maybe you were thinking of that?

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

Yes i meant that.. thanks :)

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

After flying around the caves for 10-15 min i have seen some nice caves and pretty evenly distributed areas of caverealm biomes but then this happened:

2018-07-25 21:08:14: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenOOM error from mod 'caverealms' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): not enough memory
2018-07-25 21:08:14: ERROR[Main]: Current Lua memory usage: 1316 MB
and again:

2018-07-25 21:16:48: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenOOM error from mod 'caverealms' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): not enough memory
2018-07-25 21:16:48: ERROR[Main]: Current Lua memory usage: 1350 MB
and again:

2018-07-25 21:18:57: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenOOM error from mod 'caverealms' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): not enough memory
2018-07-25 21:18:57: ERROR[Main]: Current Lua memory usage: 1803 MB
this was on local server with no players 16GB RAM / Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4

Happened few more times, still didn't found the shroom but the caves are looking very nice though.

Attachments
screenshot_20180725_211611-min.png
screenshot_20180725_211611-min.png (545.07 KiB) Viewed 4256 times

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

@SaKeL this mod won't be added to SurvivalX, will it? D:
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

Stix wrote:@SaKeL this mod won't be added to SurvivalX, will it? D:
Well i wanted to test it before i do my decision, everything looked good until the crashes every few min. That's why i keep saying no lua mapgens in Survival X :)

Shara

by Shara » Post

SaKeL - tests of my own in single player can't duplicate this. One of my servers also runs the mod and has never had an OOM from it. I've also confirmed Xanadu (which also uses it) hasn't had any OOM issues.

Are you using any other mods that might contribute to OOM issues, and CRL is just pushing MT the last little bit into triggering it? I will admit that I am not really sure what might be happening, beyond not being able to duplicate it.

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

It might be something else from other mods eve though i dont recall any of them are using OOM but it seems to be definately specific issue to my case i guess.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Have you checked if it still happens with only CRL active? I'd just like to try and rule out that CRL by itself can do this if possible.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

SaKeL: Can you copy and paste the mods you are using alongside Caverealms_lite.

SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

* i have created fresh new map with no mods - cannot reproduce
* same fresh new map with all the same mods as before - cannot reproduce
* old map (11 GB compressed) - with all the same mods as before - easy to reproduce
* old map - with all the same mods as before (CRL disabled) - cannot reproduce

i don't get it...