[Server] Capture the Flag Server

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:Short Proposition on how to eliminate flag-tunneling.

Anyone who's played on CTF for a reasonable amount of time knows that tunneling to grab the flag is a big issue and looked down upon, so i propose a way to eliminate it.

My idea is simple: to eliminate flag-tunneling we must remove players ability to tunnel. How do we do that? All it would take would be to make stone generated in the map indestructible in a 20-block radius around the flag for non-members. That way players tunnel would have to stop at a distance from the flag, and they then have to actually risk themselves to achieve their goal.

@All id love to hear what you think of this, don't forget to write a reply!
There are a lot of risks to tunneling. If someone follows and kills you (Which isn't hard to do) The enemy then have a tunnel to get to your base. In the Caverns map I made a tunnel to the enemy base. And Waterbug found it. He was able to win the match because we were unable to fend him off. So my tunnel was used against us.
And I don't look down upon tunneling. It adds to the game. Instead of just watching out for players aboveground you have to watch out for players belowground too. You also have to figure out ways to deal with the problem. Build a moat? Make the lower parts of the base out of a mix of wood, gravel, and cobble? Flood lava under the base? (Latter is probably not possible...). There are many risks and advantages to tunneling. It's good for the players that aren't as good as PvP too. They have a slightly smaller chance of being taken out by a pro
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

DragonsVolcanoDance
IRC: DragonGirl
In-game: DragonsVolcanoDance

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by DragonsVolcanoDance » Post

These are all aspects of the game you're talking about - it's just part of the game-play. There's nothing wrong with it. Yes, annoying things will happen such as tunneling, people building straight up, people spamming apples faster then you can damage them, getting killed, getting grenades thrown at you, etc.

You start taking stuff like this away, you start taking the game away.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Anyone who's played on CTF for a reasonable amount of time knows that tunneling to grab the flag is a big issue and looked down upon, so i propose a way to eliminate it.

My idea is simple: to eliminate flag-tunneling we must remove players ability to tunnel. How do we do that? All it would take would be to make stone generated in the map indestructible in a 20-block radius around the flag for non-members. That way players tunnel would have to stop at a distance from the flag, and they then have to actually risk themselves to achieve their goal.

There are a lot of risks to tunneling. If someone follows and kills you (Which isn't hard to do) The enemy then have a tunnel to get to your base.
Not true. There is no way to detect an incoming tunneler, nor the direction. Meaning that once they have your flag you'll have to go through hell to get it back, as they'll block off the tunnel behind them and the end of their tunnel ends smack-dab in enemy territory. So no matter how many players you kill in an effort to get the guy with your flag, newly re-spawned players will come to take their place, meaning even a large force can get overrun.
Lone_Wolf wrote:In the Caverns map I made a tunnel to the enemy base. And Waterbug found it. He was able to win the match because we were unable to fend him off. So my tunnel was used against us.
The only way to find a incoming tunnel is pure luck or its owner was being sloppy.
Lone_Wolf wrote:And I don't look down upon tunneling. It adds to the game. Instead of just watching out for players aboveground you have to watch out for players belowground too. You also have to figure out ways to deal with the problem. Build a moat? Make the lower parts of the base out of a mix of wood, gravel, and cobble? Flood lava under the base? (Latter is probably not possible...). There are many risks and advantages to tunneling. It's good for the players that aren't as good as PvP too. They have a slightly smaller chance of being taken out by a pro
Even the best fortifications are useless against tunneling, let me give you an example: Our base was surrounded by a perimeter wall made of wood. this wall was 10 blocks high and 4 blocks thick, and supported at the back by cobble. Underneath our flag room the area was hollowed out to stop ppl tunneling beneath us, all the jungle-trees in the surrounding area was cleared out, and we had a couple players guarding the base/battlements. Despite all this a player was able to tunnel underneath it all and grab our flag. You want to know why? Because we couldn't be everywhere at once and we had no way to tell what direction they were coming from, or even that they were tunneling to us!
Last edited by Stix on Fri Jul 20, 2018 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Stix

by Stix » Post

DragonsVolcanoDance wrote:These are all aspects of the game you're talking about - it's just part of the game-play. There's nothing wrong with it. Yes, annoying things will happen such as tunneling, people building straight up, people spamming apples faster then you can damage them, getting killed, getting grenades thrown at you, etc.

You start taking stuff like this away, you start taking the game away.
Personally i have nothing against flag tunneling itself, but rather the fact that it's so OP. If it was somehow de-buffed I (and probably others) would have no problem with it.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

There is a way to detect tunneling. Climb up in a tower and turn viewing range to 20. If you do it right you will be able to see almost all of the players in the world. Regardless of where they are
And you can also do f7 in a 2x1 tunnel and jump repeatedly to see in noclip view. And to your example: Sounds like he could have walked in from behind and took it too.
It's not hard to look under and around a base either. I can do it without a problem :P
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Stix

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:There is a way to detect tunneling. Climb up in a tower and turn viewing range to 20. If you do it right you will be able to see almost all of the players in the world. Regardless of where they are
And you can also do f7 in a 2x1 tunnel and jump repeatedly to see in noclip view. And to your example: Sounds like he could have walked in from behind and took it too.
It's not hard to look under and around a base either. I can do it without a problem :P
Srry, but i have to actually defend the base sometimes, i can't just use the well-known 3rd-person glitch all day (yes ive tried detecting tunnelers using that trick before).

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:There is a way to detect tunneling. Climb up in a tower and turn viewing range to 20. If you do it right you will be able to see almost all of the players in the world. Regardless of where they are
Srry, but i have to actually defend the base sometimes, i can't just use the well-known 3rd-person glitch all day (yes ive tried detecting tunnelers using that trick before).
Try the other one. I use it when defending the base. Works great for me. I can get down quickly too

Stix

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Stix wrote:
Try the other one. I use it when defending the base. Works great for me. I can get down quickly too
Wow that sounds rlly cheaty, that glitch rlly needs to be fixed. At least the 3rd-person glitch only enabled you to see tunnels (also its a pain to use).

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

by Waterbug » Post

You can design maps wherein it is very hard or impossible to use the tunnel tactic if you find this tactic particularly annoying (and it is kind of annoying).
rubenwardy wrote:No. Tunnelling is a valid tactic
rubenwardy is right; it is technically a valid tactic.

By the way, I've foiled players many times when they tried to use the tunnel tactic against my team.

PETE
GitHub: PETE
In-game: PETE-Randomizer

by PETE » Post

i beat geesh i got a screenshot and rec screenie is on the discord he had mese and apples i had steel and 0 apples this was on the coast map
Whats the trick? I wish I knew

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

If you dig moat around the base, it will help a lot against (underneath) tonneling tactic. It is not very usable in Cave map since ppl can tonnel above base.

PETE

by PETE » Post

Xudo wrote:If you dig moat around the base, it will help a lot against (underneath) tonneling tactic. It is not very usable in Cave map since ppl can tonnel above base.
I only tunnel if the game has gone on forever I don't use it as a signature strat more like a go-to when there's nothing else to do especially when head-on attacks don't work

Stix

by Stix » Post

@rubenwardy i've fixed the scaling issues with my rankings proposition if your interested.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Rankings with fixed scaling issues

So ok, some of you might have read my earlier proposition on rankings. A few days afterwards i discussed it with @rubenwardy, and he pointed out some scaling issues; at first i didn't understand what scaling issues he saw, but a few weeks later when i was thinking of it again i realized he was right, so here's my new proposition:

Everything is the same as the last proposition except one thing; Instead of just minimum k/d and score required to pass to the next rank there is also another requirement; points-per-kill ratio:

This way you have to actually be able to frequently kill enemy pros, instead of relying solely on kill-amount alone. Besides fixing the scaling issues this also partially solves spawnkilling, as spawnkillers are locked out of higher ranks, and potentionally the pro chest. Therefore forcing players to either stop spawnkilling or risk being greatly disadvantaged.

And here's the original proposition for those who missed it:
Spoiler
Proposition to improve teams.

My idea to improve team-picking is to divide players based on rankings. Now before you reply hear me out: i'm not referring to the default ranking system (which is really just a score-board), but rather a new one that resembles badges (ranks could be like "newbie", "pro", "veteran", "overlord" ect).

How this would work is killing gives you EXP, more-specifically killing a player below your rank gives you 1 EXP, killing a player at your rank gives you 2 EXP, and killing someone directly above your rank gives 4 EXP, with 1 EXP added on top for each rank above that. Too level up a rank players need to gain a set amount EXP, alongside having a positive K/D ratio. The total EXP gained in a match is decreased by 10% if your team lost. When in-game, ranking tags will be used for players to easily identify a players skill lvl from a distance.

Another idea to go on top is that the server checks if the matches are fair every 1 minute and if they're not, swaps a player to a different team accordingly with a msg: "Player XYZ has swapped teams!".

Pros:
1. Players skill-level can be determined from a distance.
2. Matches will be much more fair.
3. Suicidal players are locked out from ranking up.
4. Adds more of an incentive to win.
5. Adds more of an incentive to fighting (non-contributing players will be left in the dust).

Cons and ways to combat them:
1. Skilled players joining for the first time can put off match balance as the server sees them as a noob.
Solutions:
a. Players frequently killing others above their skill lvl will get 4x EXP until they reach the highest rank they can
reliably kill the players of, therefore lvl'ing up faster.
b. Adding an incentive to have a higher rank besides bragging rights, maybe some kind of reward.

2. (Can't think of any more cons atm, share ones you find!)

@All anyways id like to see what you guys think of this (especially @Rubenwardy and @ANAND).

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

Stix, the rankings system serves as an incentive which the players can get inspired by, and put some effort into their play. i.e. the current rankings system makes the players want to become better. The rankings system you propose outright divides the players into different classes, and makes the players of a lower class look up to those of a higher class. While this would make the "veterans" and "overlords" feel good, this won't actually inspire the players to become better at their game, at least not as efficiently as the current system. The rankings system is supposed to be "just a score-board"...

I don't see anything wrong with tunnelling either. If a team does not protect against tunnelling, that's their loss. If tunnelling is OP, then so are apples, so are guns, and so are swords. Would it make sense to eliminate them all? :)
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Proposal to solve most problems :
Just make flag carriers slower (~75 % of normal speed would be fine)
About as easy as it could get.

I guess I don't have to explain how this solves problems as tunneling ?
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Stix

by Stix » Post

ANAND wrote:Stix, the rankings system serves as an incentive which the players can get inspired by, and put some effort into their play. i.e. the current rankings system makes the players want to become better. The rankings system you propose outright divides the players into different classes, and makes the players of a lower class look up to those of a higher class. While this would make the "veterans" and "overlords" feel good, this won't actually inspire the players to become better at their game, at least not as efficiently as the current system. The rankings system is supposed to be "just a score-board"...
Weird, from my experience in games when they have multiple classes most players (including me) set it as a goal to reach the top, meaning they are inspired to get better. And you must admit such a system would greatly improve team fairness.
ANAND wrote:I don't see anything wrong with tunnelling either. If a team does not protect against tunnelling, that's their loss. If tunnelling is OP, then so are apples, so are guns, and so are swords. Would it make sense to eliminate them all? :)
Oh why must you deal in absolutes? Either remove them all or keep them all eh :P? And on the subject of apples...

BTW: I'm glad you've stopped being a genius long enough to reply on the forums :P.
Last edited by Stix on Tue Jul 24, 2018 14:35, edited 2 times in total.

Stix

by Stix » Post

LMD wrote:Proposal to solve most problems :

NO NO No No no no!

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

YES yes yes !
If you say no, explain why.
My proposal basically just says :
Somebody stealing the flag knows nobody can be faster than him. So an entire team chases him, he needn't care; they'll all take to long to get to him. Especially with tunnels :
Warning ! This may hurt your eyes.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Stix

by Stix » Post

No! CTF is a fast-paced game, we should use different methods to fix this, such as this one i suggested earlier.

*EDIT: Also it is possible to catch them off-guard at their base, or grab their flag too, but that is often very difficult/suicidal.

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

LMD wrote:Proposal to solve most problems :

that has got to be one of the worst ideas i have ever seen
no

cautiouspotato
GitHub: no
IRC: no
In-game: no

by cautiouspotato » Post

ANAND wrote:Stix, the rankings system serves as an incentive which the players can get inspired by, and put some effort into their play. i.e. the current rankings system makes the players want to become better. The rankings system you propose outright divides the players into different classes, and makes the players of a lower class look up to those of a higher class. While this would make the "veterans" and "overlords" feel good, this won't actually inspire the players to become better at their game, at least not as efficiently as the current system. The rankings system is supposed to be "just a score-board"...
I agree, the rankings is supposed to be a scoreboard.
no

Stix

by Stix » Post

I now have video proof geesh is cheating, i just need somewhere to upload it now.

PETE

by PETE » Post

Stix wrote:I now have video proof geesh is cheating, i just need somewhere to upload it now.
He was banned *Hi-Five*

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

How was he cheating? I'd like to know.
What is SCP-055?