[Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

burli

Re: [Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

by burli » Post

No, it's Minetest 0.4.16 with vanilla MTG. I can activate other mods, but crops gets deactivated if I save the world configuration. If I look in world.mt

Code: Select all

load_mod_crops = nil
If I set it manually to true it stays true, but doesn't work and it gets reset to nil if I open the world configuration.

I have downloaded right now the MTG stable-0.4, I have downloaded the crops mod again, created a new world, I even tried it with Minetest 0.5 and MTG 0.5.

Still can't activate it

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Chem871 wrote:It works fine for me in 0.4.16, but I just don't know the moisture percentage that each plant prefers.
I just tried again on another system (android 0.4.16 mobile, linux 0.4.16) and the mod still just works for me.

As for hydration, the idea is that you figure this out by yourself by looking at how the plant behaves if you over/under water it. If you see the water bubbles, it's too much, if the plant is showing the drying out particles, it needs water. The hygrometer shows the hydration level, so pay attention to it as you water various plants.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Would you add strawberries?
What is SCP-055?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Chem871 wrote:Would you add strawberries?
I'm not inclined to. Strawberries are cute, but gameplay wise they don't add much to the game. They're simply wild bushes that continue to generate berries, nothing more. And aside jellies/jam, there would not be anything interesting to craft from them either.

I tend to strongly prefer adding mechanics and plants that require a non-trivial amount of work, and that yield a finite amount of resources. Corn needs to be replanted and creates trash, the beans require beanpoles, you need to water the tomatoes, etc.. All these mechanics offer a challenge, and strawberries would become too easy quickly.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

I see what you mean about the strawberries, not enough of a challenge, too easy to get food. But still, this is one of the best farming mods out there, I'm going to try it out on an all-water world, to see how it goes. What if you added a crop that grows down? Might be something new.
What is SCP-055?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Chem871 wrote:I see what you mean about the strawberries, not enough of a challenge, too easy to get food. But still, this is one of the best farming mods out there, I'm going to try it out on an all-water world, to see how it goes. What if you added a crop that grows down? Might be something new.
My intent is to actually combine 'luscious' with this mod somehow. Luscious provides a way to get humidity values, and those could be used by this mod to create a variation in watering needs of plants. E.g. in really wet areas, some plants won't grow because it's too wet, and in dry areas, you need to water much more to sustain plants.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Do the crops spawn in the wild?
What is SCP-055?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Chem871 wrote:Do the crops spawn in the wild?
pumpkins, melons and potatoes are obtainable. The rest currently isn't.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

What if there was a crop that grew downwards from mossy cobble, needed shade, and didn't grow next to itself?
What is SCP-055?

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

What about adding butternut squash? You can make soup from it, and it doesn't taste terrible. Maybe pizza, with cheese, tomatoes, and flour? Baked potatoes? Just some more ideas.
What is SCP-055?

Grizzly Adam
GitHub: Grizzly-Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

I needed peppers for a mod I am working on, so I modded the tomatoes file to make green peppers (they are both nightshades afterall). Works the same as tomatoes, but the seeds are peppercorns (yes, I know thats not realistic but I thought it was a nice littke twist).. Peppercorns can be crafted with glass vessel to make ground pepper.

If anyone is interested I will upload it.
Check out my Mods: BBQ Mod Crops Plus

Grizzly Adam
GitHub: Grizzly-Adam

by Grizzly Adam » Post

Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (300.78 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Check out my Mods: BBQ Mod Crops Plus

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Do you plan to make the mod extendable, ie creating an API similar to default farming's?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:Do you plan to make the mod extendable, ie creating an API similar to default farming's?
I wouldn't object to that, but the design has been mostly handcrafted thus far, and so this would be relatively a lot of work. In hindsight, I've made things somewhat over complex. If I ever redo this mod, it will be much more object oriented, but mostly to make the mechanical parts of how crops grow easier, and not really to make it easier to add more plants. The reason for that is that I've still found that adding more plants to the mix that are largely a clone really doesn't add much value to the game.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

l think the clone problem pertains for mobs too.
Creating unique entities for each mob could make them more interesting.
Currently all default sand nodes (sand, desert_sand and silver_sand) have the same texture, only different colours, same for wood. And the tools (e.g. picks) have the same shape. How do you think about it?

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:l think the clone problem pertains for mobs too.
Creating unique entities for each mob could make them more interesting.
Currently all default sand nodes (sand, desert_sand and silver_sand) have the same texture, only different colours, same for wood. And the tools (e.g. picks) have the same shape. How do you think about it?
Same problem, so I hate it.

I'd rather see `luscious` color all sand nodes so they're all just the same sand node instead. Same for desert stone.

It's also a bit of a signal that people who write mods that add "colored XXX" type of things are really not thinking much more further than "finally I can make a mod" and haven't given it much thought whether it makes the game any better or not, and so it's almost guaranteed to be low quality.

thminer
GitHub: TEbinger
In-game: thomas or thomas321

by thminer » Post

Thank You for your wonderful mod, that is installed in my Blue World. Unfortunately I had many server crashes recently, always with a similar warning like
ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'crops' in callback node_on_dig(): /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/crops/polebean.lua:103: attempt to call field 'die' (a nil value)

I updated from 04.16 to 04.17, a long time without crash, but now it's happening again.

Has anybody an idea what could be the reason?
Find my minetest stuff in my blog: http://thomas-ebinger.de/?s=minetest

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

thminer wrote:Thank You for your wonderful mod, that is installed in my Blue World. Unfortunately I had many server crashes recently, always with a similar warning like
ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'crops' in callback node_on_dig(): /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/crops/polebean.lua:103: attempt to call field 'die' (a nil value)

I updated from 04.16 to 04.17, a long time without crash, but now it's happening again.

Has anybody an idea what could be the reason?
I checked the code. crops.die() is defined before the polebean code is loaded, so this bug should not be possible. Do you have a different farming mod or something installed?

thminer

by thminer » Post

Thank You for checking. Yes, I also have the standard "farming" installed (no extra mod). It worked for a long time without crash. Strange ... What can I do?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

thminer wrote:Thank You for checking. Yes, I also have the standard "farming" installed (no extra mod). It worked for a long time without crash. Strange ... What can I do?
Maybe zip up the crops mod you have and attach it to this thread, then I can check what version you have and whether it's broken.

Obviously you may want to update it to the latest version from git, as well.

thminer

by thminer » Post

I reinstalled the mod from the github repository, but it was up to date anyway. Let's see, if the crashes still happen ...

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

thminer wrote:I reinstalled the mod from the github repository, but it was up to date anyway. Let's see, if the crashes still happen ...
I found a bug.

I grew a melon next to a corn plant (2 node high crop). Eventually the melon was spawned where the base node for the corn plant was. I was able to pick up the melon, but trying to clear the top half of the corn above where the melon was led to a game crash.

The corn top node cannot be cleared and any attempts to do so will result in a server crash.

This behavior may be present for pumpkins too.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

jeremyweston wrote: I grew a melon next to a corn plant (2 node high crop). Eventually the melon was spawned where the base node for the corn plant was. I was able to pick up the melon, but trying to clear the top half of the corn above where the melon was led to a game crash.

The corn top node cannot be cleared and any attempts to do so will result in a server crash.

This behavior may be present for pumpkins too.
Well that's bad. Do you have the lua errors that are generated at this point? That would greatly help making a fix here.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

sofar wrote: Well that's bad. Do you have the lua errors that are generated at this point? That would greatly help making a fix here.
I don't, but I looked at the code and I see it calls a minetest function to remove node below, but in this case, there wasn't a node below the corn top half. I think that's likely what caused it.

I'll try to reproduce to get the error from the log.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Perhaps the code should be in the base node to check above and remove.

Also, in the melon code, if you are spawning melons next to the melon plant, perhaps check for nodes around the plant before spawning melon.

You might also be experiencing an issue with buildable property of corn plant node, but sofar, being the mod dev and a core dev, would be able to rule this out as an engine issue.

Shad