[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.41.3]

by sirrobzeroone » Post

I'm getting an odd error when trying to run Mineclone2, not sure if its a setting somewhere I need to adjust? Any help much appreciated.

Code: Select all

2018-08-13 11:03:46: ACTION[Main]: World at [C:\Users\Rob\Minetest\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\worlds\MinecloneTest]
2018-08-13 11:03:46: ACTION[Main]: Server for gameid="MineClone2" listening on 0.0.0.0:52681.
2018-08-13 11:03:50: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2018-08-13 11:03:50: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2018-08-13 11:04:00: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2018-08-13 11:04:00: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2018-08-13 11:04:13: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenOOM error from mod 'mcl_dungeons' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): not enough memory
2018-08-13 11:04:13: ERROR[Main]: Current Lua memory usage: 17 MB

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Cheers, missed that thread.

Running as host server seems to have fixed the issue :)

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

When are we getting redstone???
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:When are we getting redstone???
There is redstone...
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Redstone will be added in 20 months ago.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Redstone will be added in 20 months ago.
Great! I looked forward to it
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
You forgot to read the "ago" part :P. Redstone was added 20 months ago, but when it will be worked on again, noone but Wuzzy knows.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:
You forgot to read the "ago" part :P. Redstone was added 20 months ago, but when it will be worked on again, noone but Wuzzy knows.
Yep I know. My 'looked' was intentional :P

u34

by u34 » Post

When will be the next update came out?!!

Wuzzy

Current state of MineClone 2

by Wuzzy » Post

As all of you have probably noticed, there have been no updates for a while now.

The project is currently on ice (but not dead!) until further notice. I have no idea when exactly I will continue.

But when Minetest 5.0.0 comes out, I definitely want to update all my stuff to make sure the transition works smoothly.

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

Discovered this awesome project (which includes virtually everything I already modded into my MT installation), then went ahead and ported:

edit: mods removed, check this topic out: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20935&p=332808#p332808

They appear to run just fine, but WARNING.
!! If any error - quote me, not author of this Game! Although I am a Lua noob, I don't want to bother people with my garbage.

Installation:
1. $ mkdir ~.minetest/games/MineClone2/mods/1_CUSTOM (make a new directory inside mods of MineClone2)
2. $ touch ~.minetest/games/MineClone2/mods/1_CUSTOM/modpack.txt (add an empty marker file there)
3. extract each or any archive inside 1_CUSTOM, so it looks like .../1_CUSTOM/airtanks_mc2
4. run the game, they should be auto activated. There are few options in Advanced Settings too.

Enjoy, hopefully?

More below!
Last edited by minerdudetest on Tue Oct 09, 2018 22:42, edited 2 times in total.

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

Follow up:

* Ghost by Blockmen (not the updated, complex version by Hamlet) (MIT?)
* Bewarethedark by Ben needs no patching, compatible from the box!

The anvil mod works differently from anvil already present in game and allows unlimited repair trick with default setting so Ive increased material cost to put it into a higher tier.
Attachments
ghost_mc2.zip
rev1
(94.34 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by minerdudetest on Tue Oct 09, 2018 22:43, edited 2 times in total.

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

Speaking of mobs, it would be supercool if the spawn rate of the MCL mobs could be set in Advanced Settings.
In way, similar to what NSSM does, but for peaceful and hostile mobs separately.

This is very useful for servers, since there could be 20+ mobs roaming around.

I also wonder if NSSM port is possible?

Thank you.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Installation:
1. $ mkdir ~.minetest/games/MineClone2/mods/1_CUSTOM (make a new directory inside mods of MineClone2)
2. $ touch ~.minetest/games/MineClone2/mods/1_CUSTOM/modpack.txt (add an empty marker file there)
3. extract each or any archive inside 1_CUSTOM, so it looks like .../1_CUSTOM/airtanks_mc2
4. run the game, they should be auto activated. There are few options in Advanced Settings too.
Nooooo! This is completely wrong. Why are you making it so complicated?

Just install mods into ~/.minetest/mods like any other mod.

Player3107
GitHub: coolcodee2007
In-game: arvgarcia

by Player3107 » Post

Quick question, how do you use the Name Tag? My wolf disappeared, and I want to keep my new one. Thanks, and sorry for asking a n00bish question!
I don't like hashtags! #stopusinghashtags
Loose: Not firmly or stuck in place. (ex: I have a loose tooth.)
Lose: To fail to win a game or contest. (ex: If I lose at Minetest, my stuff will disappear!)
Now that you know, use them properly!

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Nooooo! This is completely wrong. Why are you making it so complicated?
Heya, Boss! :)

This is with purpose. Currently I converted the depends as well as few internal calls from "default" to "mcl_"/equivalents. Thus these convertions will work only with MCL and I assume user wants them to be turned on in server anyway. These mods are all purposely optional as they for sure do not belong into "perfect minecraft" goal of the project.

This is of course not the "perfect" way: aka to expand mod with logic that checks for MCL presence. That would also keep base Minetest Game compatibility. However, this is currently more complex (I am unfortunately lazy and also newbie in Lua), plus there should be proper upstream patches, and upstream could refuse increased complexity. So... its just a lot more effort to do the proper way. If its done proper way, it will work in "mods". Still they load and seem to work.

Speaking of upstream, could I ask what you think about my previous post, aka adding multipliers for hostile and animal mobs into "Advanced Settings" vars, so that users and admins can have finer control over the NPC crowd?
I am heavy fan and user of your another great project - "mobs_mc" but in Minetest game, where I had to manually tweak to have 1-2 of each animal (cows, sheeps, hares, chickens) instead of 100-headed army near player base killing fps. So this inquiry comes from experience.

Also, I would recommend to temporarily kill the reference to Storage Drawers from OP.
I posted in that thread, that mod contains a major bug for since one year, which causes drawer to disappear on touch with its contents and also uses wrong texture (solution to which I found and posted).

Thank you, sir! :)

PS.
Going to port a few smaller mods. Maybe even the amazing Circular Saw :O

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

@Player3107: To answer the question “How do I use X?” for any X, do:
1) Open your inventory
2) Click on the question mark icon (this is the help)
3) Click on the item type (block, tool, miscellanous) (the nametag is classified as tool)
4) Click on the item you look for.

Hint: The help will automatically gain new entries as you discover new items. It's a great way to learn about new mechanics and stuff.
This is with purpose. Currently I converted the depends as well as few internal calls from "default" to "mcl_"/equivalents. Thus these convertions will work only with MCL and I assume user wants them to be turned on in server anyway. These mods are all purposely optional as they for sure do not belong into "perfect minecraft" goal of the project.
So what? This does not explain why you have to modify MineClone 2 to make them work. Sounds to me like they work perfectly fine outside of that directly.
As long the modname does not collide with anything and the dependencies are correct and the mod is not broken, I don't see how the perfectly simple and standard solution of “put it into mods/ folder” is wrong.
If your mods require the player to modify the core game by hand, you're doing it wrong!
adding multipliers for hostile and animal mobs into "Advanced Settings" vars
Good idea. Maybe this is already possible in some hidden setting, just not exposed to Advanced Settings so far.
Mob spawning in general is not well-balanced anyway and needs some serious work in future.

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

Wuzzy wrote: So what? This does not explain why you have to modify MineClone 2 to make them work. Sounds to me like they work perfectly fine outside of that directly.
As long the modname does not collide with anything and the dependencies are correct and the mod is not broken, I don't see how the perfectly simple and standard solution of “put it into mods/ folder” is wrong.
If your mods require the player to modify the core game by hand, you're doing it wrong!
This is how it looks at my machine, they are pretty standalone from native MCL mods:

Well all entities in Mods folder are visible across every game (Minetest Game, Minimal Development Test, MCL) and as I said, they will not work outside MCL because these are ported mods with replaced deps. The mods neither modify core game, nor native MCL mods, so its purely about visibility on "Settings" (mod pickup) screen.

But mods like "Bewarethedarkness" who need no required MCL-specific deps can be put into "~.minetest/mods/$dir" for sure.
Wuzzy wrote: Maybe this is already possible in some hidden setting...
I found that the dice roll has the greatest impact in: mobs:register_spawn ( x, x , x, x, dice roll, x, x).
Rolls within 5000-10000 cause pretty frequent appearance, where 10000-30000 less and 30000+ rare (100k+ very rare).

Can I work on it and send you a merge offer? I will basically add two vars: mcl_spawn_multiplier_monster and mcl_spawn_multiplier_animal to every entity inside ENTITES/mobs_mc, depending upon the existing critter type.

Now, the problem is wither to expose these vars:
- Inside settingtypes.txt of MCL: will allow any internal MCL mod (mobs_mc, and any (future) mob-mod inside MCL/mods) to use this setting and the setting will appear only in one place in game screen. Downside - if the mob-mod is installed outside MCL/mods/ it can't use it though.

- Make equivalent of "settingtypes.txt" inside the mod dir (MCL/mods/mobs_mc/ for mcl version of mobs_mc). This will for one - make mobs_mc setting independent of MCL, which maybe good idea if you plan to provide it standalone, and will require any (future) ported MCL mob packs to add this option on individual basis.

- Third option,which I think is the best is a combination: mobs_mc exposes the vars inside settingtypes.txt of MCL. Other mods should expose their own. This will add individual multipliers per mob mod.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

@minerdudetest: I don't care how you organize your folders personally, but for normal players it's better that mod deployment follows standard practice. That for now, that is the default mods/ directory. It's that simple. That mods are MCL2-specific is not a reason to confuse players. There are plenty of MTG-specific mods, too, yet nobody suggests to players to do such gymnastics to install them.
Can I work on it and send you a merge offer? I will basically add two vars: mcl_spawn_multiplier_monster and mcl_spawn_multiplier_animal to every entity inside ENTITES/mobs_mc, depending upon the existing critter type.
Oh, thanks. Every work on making the mobs spawn system less WTF is highly appreciated. Especially balancing, which is a tedious but important task. Just send me patches. However, note that I will not review them for a while as I am currently not active in MCL2. I don't know when I will return to coding either, so be aware of that.

Also, what is more important to just making the values configurable is to make the game balancing as such work out by default. MCL2 must work out of the box, configuration must be strictly optional. If MCL2 requires players to fix what is essentially a broken balancing, MCL2 has failed.
Now, the problem is wither to expose these vars:
That's easy. For settings, I always go for settingstypes.txt of the whole game and the mod as well. The reasony why it's added redundantly for the whole game is that Minetest is not (yet) able to show the mod settingtypes of the mod if that mod is part of a game.

The mob spawn factor should go into mcl_mobs, not in mobs_mc, however. But IIRC, this game already has such a variable (too lazy to check).

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

by zargulthewizard » Post

Kinda skimmed all that. Maybe shouldn't have, but short on time.

Modified the portalgun mod by aitecheye to be entirely mineclone2 compatible. How should I go about posting it if at all?
May God be with you, always.

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

zargulthewizard wrote:Kinda skimmed all that. Maybe shouldn't have, but short on time.

Modified the portalgun mod by aitecheye to be entirely mineclone2 compatible. How should I go about posting it if at all?
Hey! Great stuff!
Know what, I got one point off the laziness bar and be actually remakeing the mods I posted above.
Now they will be compatible with both "MineTest Game" (aka baseline) and "MineClone2" compatible. So not limited to MCL only, not "ported", but made compatible with both baseline and MCL2.

So, here is some porting template code I scratched together, maybe its helpful for you. A bit more work, than simple replacement, but you can actually upstream this, so in case of success you won't need to patch the mod again:

1) depends.txt
both mcl_ and default should be an optional dependency (?) in depends.txt. If both mcl_ and default are absent, then it means user is running notMCL and notMineTestGame, so game will fail on loading anyway and return to menu (safe).

typical depends.txt:

default?
mcl_core?
mcl_sounds?
2) switcher in init.lua and other mod code.
Important - place the block after "local S, NS = dofile(MP.."/intllib.lua")" call!:

moditems = {}  -- declare a var, somewhere at beginning but below intlib.lua call.
if core.get_modpath("mcl_core") and mcl_core then -- means MineClone 2 is loaded, this is its core mod
	moditems.IRON_ITEM = "mcl_core:iron_ingot"   -- example, MCL version of iron ingot
	moditems.STRING_ITEM = S("MineClone 2 string")   -- item description if mod is loaded in MPL
	moditems.WOOD_SOUNDS = mcl_sounds.node_sound_wood_defaults()

else         -- fallback, assume default (MineTest Game) is loaded, otherwise it will error anyway here.
	moditems.IRON_ITEM = "default:steel_ingot"    -- iron ingot in stock MT
	moditems.STRING_ITEM = S("MineTest Game string")   -- item description if mod is loaded in MT
	moditems.WOOD_SOUNDS = default.node_sound_wood_defaults()
end

-- actual use in the code down somewhere.
material = moditems.IRON_ITEM 
sounds = moditems.WOOD_SOUNDS

_doc_items_longdesc = moditems.STRING_ITEM
3. expanding sound check in some mods:
if similar block already exists (as it should be), and equivalent of "sounds" var exist - use that and change "sounds" in this block to however the var is called!
If similar block does not exist or game plays no sounds, you don't need this.

local sounds

if mcl_sounds then
	sounds = mcl_sounds.node_sound_metal_defaults()
else
	if default.node_sound_metal_defaults then
		sounds = default.node_sound_metal_defaults()
	else
		sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults()
	end
end
May the code be with you!
Last edited by minerdudetest on Mon Sep 10, 2018 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

If you seriously want to support both MTG and MCL2, then doing such mod checks like shown above make sense. However, be aware it will be quite painful over time. MCL2 and MTG differ technically in many aspects. It's not just a matter of compability, but also one of balancing.

The common idiom I use to check if a mod exists is:
if minetest.get_modpath("name_of_mod") then
-- do something
end
If you get anywhere with your mods and they become something useful and they work out of the box with MCL2, I recommend to post these new mods in the WIP Mods subforum instead of cluttering this thread. A mod for MCL2 is still a mod, after all. This also has the benefit that the discussions are more organized.

But it's OK to post here for general advice, of course.

Also, please do not call MTG “baseline”, that's far from the truth. It's just one of many games and is no more “valid” than any other game.

minerdudetest

by minerdudetest » Post

Sheesh, I forgot that "maybe", I hope it does not sound rude. :/

@Wuzzy Well, I don't think I have a choice, because I find MCL2 more fitting and integrated than MTG, where I have to add basically same mods (but I don't touch the ore).
Previously I made my own private server for my kids and periodically added mods+tweaked them, but its still disorganized. Then I found that you can texture, created own texture mix and discovered that MCL2 is using the same textures, plus it feels like much more fun experience with the need to craft an actual crafting table, that it includes mobs_mc, which I previously used.

I have never played Minecraft, so I am porting mods to spice-up the MCL2 in the direction which may not play well with MCL2 goals. Hence I planned to add them as optional mods. :) I have nothing against contributing to core MCL2 though, its just that I am pretty newbie-sh with modding and lua in general. :)

I got the anti-cluttering idea. From now on, I will:
a) create a topic about made-compatible-with-MCL2 mods, paste the ready mods there.
b) paste the changes that make mod compatible with MCL2 into forum thread of that mod, link to downloadable versions in (a). If mod author adopts change in (b), the (a) will not need to host the code or update it much.
c) drop the message here if some of the mods deserve to be included in MCL2 or questions about MCL2.
I hope that this is good. :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I am looking forward to the results! :-)