[Mod] Digilines LED marquee [git][led_marquee]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Mod] Digilines LED marquee [git][led_marquee]

by VanessaE » Post

LED marquee mod

This mod provides a set of LED panels to form a marquee, controlled by Mesecons' Digilines mod.

Simply place one or more panels, either in a line or forming a wall, and set a channel on just the left-most or upper-left one.

Then send a character, a string, or one of several control words or codes to that channel from a Mesecons Lua Controller and the mod will try to display it.
Spoiler
A single character will be displayed on the connected panel.

A numeric message (i.e. not a string) will be converted into a string.

Strings of all types (other than the keywords below) will be displayed using all panels in a lineup, so long as they all face the same way, starting from the panel the Lua Controller is connected to, going left to right. The other panels in the line do not need to be connected to anything - think of them as being connected together internally. Only the panel at the far left need be connected to the Lua Controller.

The string will spread across the line until either a panel is found that faces the wrong way, or has a channel that's not empty/nil and is set to something other than what the first is set to, or if a node is encountered that is not an alpha-numeric panel at all.

Panels to the left of the connected one are ignored (unless they, too, have their own connections).

You can also stack up a wall of LED panels, of any horizontal and vertical amount. If you then set a channel on the upper left panel, leave the others un-set, and connect a LuaController to it via digilines, the whole wall of panels will be treated as a multi-line display.

Long strings sent to that channel will be displayed starting at the upper-left and working from left to right, top to bottom, wrapping from line to line as appropriate (similar to printing to a shell terminal).

As with a single line, printing continues from node to node until the program either finds a panel with a different non-empty channel than the first one, or if it finds a panel that's facing the wrong way.

If the program finds something other than a panel, it wraps to the next line. If it finds something other than a panel twice in a row, that signals that text has wrapped off of the last row, and printing is cut off there.

Lines of panels don't need to be all the same length, the program will wrap as needed, with the left margin always being aligned with the panel the LuaController is connected to.

Strings are trimmed to 6 kB.

Panels are not erased between prints.

Any unrecognized symbol or character, whether part of a string or singularly is ignored, except as noted below.

This mod uses the full ISO-8859-1 character set (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1 for details), plus a bunch of symbols stuffed into the normally-empty 128-159 range that should be useful on this sort of display:
  • 128,129: musical notes
  • 130-140: box drawing glyphs
  • 141-144: block shades
  • 145-152: arrows
  • 153-156: explosion/splat
  • 157-159: smileys
If a string is prefixed with character code 255, it is treated as UTF-8 and passed through a simple translation function. Only characters with codes greater than 159 are altered; normal ASCII text, color codes, control codes, and the above symbols are passed through unchanged. Note that in this mode, a character code over 159 is treated as the first byte of a two-byte symbol.

The panels also respond to these control messages:
  • clear turns all panels in a lineup or wall off (up to 2048 of them, anyway). Essentially a "clear screen" command.
  • allon fills all panels in a lineup/wall (up to 2048 of them) with char(144), i.e. the reverse of "clear".
  • start_scroll starts the automatic scrolling function, repeatedly moving the last displayed message to the left one character space each time the scroll timer runs out (and automatically restarting it, natch). The scroll action will spread across the line, and down a multi-line wall (just set a new, different channel on the first row you want to exclude), and will continue until stop_scroll or any displayable message is received.

As it advances through the message, the scroll code will search through the message for a printable character, on each scroll step, basically stripping-out color code, and using just the last one before the new start position. This is done in order to keep a constant visible speed (the text will still be colored properly though).
  • stop_scroll does just what it says - it stops the auto-scroll timer.
  • scroll_speed followed by a decimal number (in the string, not a byte value) sets the time between scroll steps. Minimum 0.2s, maximum 5s.
  • scroll_step will immediately advance the last-displayed message by one character. Omit the above automatic scrolling keywords, and use ONLY this keyword instead if you want to let your LuaController control the scrolling behavior. Optionally, you can follow this with a number and the scroll code will skip forward that many bytes into the message, starting from the current position, before starting the above-mentioned color-vs-character search. Essentially, this value will roughly translate to the number of printable characters to skip.
  • get will read the one character (as a numerical character value) currently displayed by the master panel (by reading its node name)
  • getstr will read the last-stored message for the entire lineup/wall (from the master panel's meta). Note that even if the message has been or is being scrolled, you'll get the original stored message.
  • getindex will read the scroll index position in that message, which will always point at a printable character, per the above color-versus-character search.
During a scroll event, the printed string is padded with spaces (one in auto mode, or as many as the skip value when manually stepping).

If you need vertical scrolling, you will have to handle that yourself (since the size of a screen/wall is not hard-coded).

To change colors, put a "/" followed by a digit or a letter from "A" to "R" (or "a" to "r") into your printed string. Digits 0 to 9 trigger colors 0 to 9 (obviously :-) ), while A/a through R/r set colors 10 to 27. Any other sequence is invalid and will just be printed literally. Two slashes "//" will translated to a single char(30) internally, and displayed as a single slash (doing it that way makes the code easier).

Color values 0 to 11 are red (0), orange, yellow, lime, green, aqua, cyan, sky blue, blue, violet, magenta, or red-violet (11).

Colors 12 to 23 are the same as 0 to 11, but lower brightness.

Colors 24 - 27 are white, light grey, medium grey, and dim grey (or think of them as full bright white, a bit less bright, medium brightness, and dim white).

The last color that was used is stored in the left-most/upper-left "master" panel's metadata, and defaults to red. It should persist across reboots.

char(10) will do its job as linefeed/newline.

char(29) signals a cursor position command. The next two byte values select a column and row, respectively. The next character after the row byte will be printed there, and the rest of the string then continues printing from that spot onward with normal line wrapping, colors and so forth. Note that any string that does NOT contain cursor positioning commands will automatically start printing at the upper-left.

Any number of color, line feed, and cursor position commands may be present in a string, making it possible to "frame-buffer" a screen full of text into a string before printing it.

All panels emit a small amount of light when displaying something.

The panels only mount flat on a wall or floor/ceiling, like a sign.

The "master"/connected panel stores the last-displayed message and some other details in its metadata, so you may occasionally need to dig and re-place the panel if things go wonky (this won't happen during normal use, but it may happen if you're making lots of changes to the panels' layout, channel names, etc).

Incidentally, the symbol displayed in the wield image is character code 155, the third of the "splat" symbols. Seemed to fit.
Crafting:

Three glass, three Mesecons lamps, two of any kind of wood, and a Mesecons Microcontroller (not a LuaC)
Spoiler
The complete character set, showing graphics in the 0x80 to 0x9F range and ISO-8859-1 symbols at 0xA0 through 0xFF

The complete character set again, this time displayed using all 28 colors (cycled)
The code that generated the above colorful display (plus some extra bits used for testing):

Code: Select all

if pin.c then

char_to_color = {
	"0",
	"1",
	"2",
	"3",
	"4",
	"5",
	"6",
	"7",
	"8",
	"9",
	"A",
	"B",
	"C",
	"D",
	"E",
	"F",
	"G",
	"H",
	"I",
	"J",
	"K",
	"L",
	"M",
	"N",
	"O",
	"P",
	"Q",
	"R"
}

digiline_send("test", "clear")

string = "/0"
color = 0
for i = 32, 255 do
    char = string.char(i)
    if char == "/" then char = "//" end
--    string = string .. char
    string = string .. "/" .. char_to_color[color+1] .. char
    color = color + 1
    if color == 28 then color = 0 end
end

--string = string .. string.char(31)
string = string .. "/2" .. string.char(31)

digiline_send("test", string)

end

if pin.b then
    digiline_send("test", "scroll_step 1")
end

if pin.a then
    digiline_send("test", "start_scroll")
    digiline_send("test","scroll_speed 0.2")
end

if pin.d then
    digiline_send("test", "stop_scroll")
end
Download: https://github.com/mt-mods/led_marquee/ ... master.zip
...or browse the code: https://github.com/mt-mods/led_marquee

License: LGPL 3.0 for code, CC-by-SA 4.0 for media and everything else.

Dependencies: Minetest 0.4.17.1 and minetest_game/default, digilines, Mesecons LuaControllers. Mesecons Microcontrollers and Lamps are optional and only needed for crafting (you can use just the individual sub-mods if you don't want all of Mesecons)
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-08-21_01-33-12.png
Screenshot_2018-08-21_01-33-12.png (837.44 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Screenshot_2018-08-21_01-32-28.png
Screenshot_2018-08-21_01-32-28.png (947.54 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Screenshot_2018-08-21_00-25-29.png
Screenshot_2018-08-21_00-25-29.png (25.67 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Screenshot_2018-08-15_11-28-57.png
Screenshot_2018-08-15_11-28-57.png (115.07 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: [Mod] Digilines LED marquee [git][led_marquee]

by rubenwardy » Post

Look useful! And good to see another mod from you
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

LegoLogger
GitHub: BakerPrime
IRC: BakerPrime
In-game: BakerPrime

by LegoLogger » Post

Very nice looking mod! I'll have to test this on your servers soon. And probably install them on mine. Very useful, something I've wanted for a long time! Thanks

EDIT: Now we can do Times Square in Minetest! lol

~~Logger
For those who complain about radiation, I should remind you that every time you leave your house, you step into
the worlds largest radiation beam. (Why else do you think us programmers hide in basements? ;P )

if you need to speak to me, you can catch me on #VE-Minetest-Servers, #RRH-Servers, ##Minetestwithunk, or #Minetest

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Houston, I think we have a problem.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

garywhite
GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

by garywhite » Post

Same thing for me (would post a photo but I forgot how)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yeah, my bad. Brain-o on my part. Fixed in git.

Note that you may have to dig-up and re-place the panels due to the change to proper wallmounting.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Update: this mod now supports the ISO-8859-1 character set. Of course since Lua has no concept of what a character set is (nevermind trying to use Unicode/UTF-8 :-P in this particular situation), you'll have to use string.char() to specify them. I'll try to work out something better later.

There are also a bunch of symbols stuffed into the empty 128-159 range that should be useful on a marquee:
  • 128,129: musical notes
  • 130-140: box drawing glyphs
  • 141-144: block shades
  • 145-152: arrows
  • 153-156: explosion/splat
  • 157-159: smileys
Plus, I changed the "all on" keyword to point to char(144), and "cursor" is moved to char(31).

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Ohhhh man do I love this mod.
With the power of luatransform to create 4800 panels at once, set each one to a unique xy channel name, and put a digimese wall behind them, plus a luacontroller that is gonna have a bad day, and some code (below), I have created a totally efficient and completely optimal full UltraHD LED screen.
In fact it's so efficient I stopped it loading because I was too impatient (4 pixels per second, man!).
Ok, it's not very fast and its only 80x60, but it's still cool!
Spoiler

if not mem.posx then
 mem.posx = 0
end
if not mem.posy then
 mem.posy = 0
end
interrupt(0.1,"load")
if event.iid=="load" then
 digiline_send("x"..tostring(mem.posx).."y"..tostring(mem.posy), string.char(math.random(1,30))..string.char(128))
 if mem.posx >= 80 then
  mem.posy = mem.posy + 1
  mem.posx = 0
 end
 mem.posx = mem.posx + 1
end
I suppose I should mention, the char(128) was all_on before the latest update.
I tried a few different variations of the code (10x10 chunks, odd/even at the same time), and it ended up that having 2 luacontrollers with the code but one starting at the top was the "fastest". There are so many things one could do with a smaller screen! :D

I am currently in the process of making a game of pong with this.. we'll see how that goes.

Because this was totally what this mod was meant for, right?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Now featuring multi-line support (GreenDimond's hack is obsolete ;-) ). See README or first post for details.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Added basic "cursor position" support, and rudimentary UTF-8 string translation.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

May i know how did you make that mod? I mean probably did you register black panels with all kinds of symbols on it and each symbol with each color? I think you would have very many nodes.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

There are 224 nodes - one for each character from 0x20 to 0xFF. The textures are a sort of black plastic for the "frame" and back side, a background image of 8x8 LEDs (all turned off) for the front, and an overlay face is used for the character glyph (textures thereof are drawn as if they're made of white LEDs).

They use param2 for colorization of the overlay containing the white glyphs ("colorwallmounted" mode which is why the color selection is somewhat limited).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

More keywords added again, and some stupid ones removed. :-)

Fixed a few minor bugs also, see commit log and README (or first post here).

Isja Krass
In-game: init.lua

by Isja Krass » Post

how can i change the COLOR of the Digilines LED marquee?
Last edited by Isja Krass on Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Isja Krass wrote:how can i change the COLOR of the Digilines LED marquee?
VanessaE wrote:A byte value of 0 to 27 in a string will change colors (i.e. string.char(0 to 27) ).

Color values 0 to 11 are:

Red (0), orange, yellow, lime, green, aqua, cyan, sky blue, blue, violet, magenta, or red-violet (11)

Colors 12 to 23 are the same as 0 to 11, but lower brightness.

Colors 24 - 27 are white, light grey, medium grey, and dim grey (or think of them as full bright white, a bit less bright, medium brightness, and dim white).

The last color that was used is stored in the left-most/upper-left "master" panel's metadata, and defaults to red. It should persist across reboots.
Therefore, doing something like

digline_send("My channel", string.char(4).."My awesome message!")
Should send a green message.

And please use a normal font size in your posts.

Isja Krass
In-game: init.lua

by Isja Krass » Post

Thanks for your for your support. :-)
and I will use a normal size in the future

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Note that I'm going to change how colors work. It'll be proper readable strings using a forward slash as the key, instead of string.char() codes. i.e. "foo/1bar/2/baz/3blah" will print foo in red, bar in orange, baz in yellow, blah in lime. Colors > 10 will use letters i.e. "/A" through "/R" (or lowercase).

I'll post a follow-up when that change goes live.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That change is live now. Also, char(10) is newline now, like it should be. See first post or README.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I decided to write this post on my new HD screen, but if you want to read it in normal text (or you can't see the images), it's as following:

I made some alternate textures for this mod which are 32 x 32 pixels instead of 64 x 64, and instead of being round, they're square. I think it looks better, and if anyone else wants them, I attached them to the post.

While I was making the square textures, I noticed a problem with some of the original textures. Some of them have LED lights that are offset by a pixel so that they don't match up properly. I didn't keep a log of which ones they were, but the ones that I remember were the smileys (157 - 159) and some of the block shades (141 - 144), although there are many more. Look at the bottom screenshot or the numbers I specified to see what I mean.

And here are the images:

(Nearly) full post on an HD LED screen.

Close-up on the square textures.

Notice the offset LED lights in the right one.
Attachments
textures.zip
(89.95 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Nice :-)

Shifted pixels fixed in git (it was just two of the block shades, the smileys are fine). If you find any others, please give me a list.

Whiskey
GitHub: git512
In-game: Whiskey SNICKLE011

by Whiskey » Post

Any possibility of getting an example of code for the luacontroller that does scroll. I did a digiline_send("theproperchannel","start_scroll") after sending the text but the text displays with no scrolling.
Thanks a bunch.

Whiskey
GitHub: git512
In-game: Whiskey SNICKLE011

by Whiskey » Post

Update:
I can get it to scroll at a max speed of 1 char per second with:

digiline_send("daf","scroll_speed 1")
digiline_send("daf","This is the Dead and found box")
digiline_send("daf","start_scroll")

If I try to send a decimal value i.e. 0.5 instead of 1 with scroll_speed. It then goes back to not scrolling.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Please file an issue on the gitlab repo and I'll take a look at it when I can.

In the meantime, omit the speed, start, and stop scroll commands, send your text, and then just have your LuaC repeatedly send the scroll_step command on a timed interrupt.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Very nice looking display and intresting mod. It'd be great if we could actually control each "LED" individually, but then - that would be far too many textures (and close to impossible to control).
A list of my mods can be found here.

minetest-user

by minetest-user » Post

444/5000
Hello everybody!

With the mod "LED marquee mod" I would like to build a display to display text.

For this I have set 6 "LED marquee panel" side by side. I then connected these with Digiline to a Luacontroller. With the following code I would like to display the text "Stage 1 to City Middle". This should come from the right and left "run out".

digiline_send("1","scroll_speed 1")
digiline_send("1",string.char(0))
digiline_send("1","s")
digiline_send("1","t")
digiline_send("1","scroll_step")

digiline_send("2","scroll_speed 1")
digiline_send("2",string.char(0))
digiline_send("2","t")
digiline_send("2","o")
digiline_send("2","scroll_step")

digiline_send("3","scroll_speed 1")