Possible to switch a username and all associated nodes?

Whiskey
GitHub: git512
In-game: Whiskey SNICKLE011

Possible to switch a username and all associated nodes?

by Whiskey » Post

I run the PotatoLand server (forum post on it soon) and have just now, after almost two months of work on it, found out about the de-ranking of servers who have users with a 3 number suffix. My server owner account fits this regex and I was wondering if there is a way to go through everything and change this out? sfan5 recently marked this de-ranking as a "feature" so I guess it won't be changing anytime soon. This needs to be made clear before people get this deep in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Whiskey

p.s.:Server is on windows at the moment but I do have 'nix boxes available if it would make the process easier.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: Possible to switch a username and all associated nodes?

by sorcerykid » Post

In a day and age when mobile gaming is on the rise, it's counter-intuitive why the Minetest server list specifically penalizes servers that attempt to be mobile-device friendly. Almost everybody with Internet access owns at least one mobile device. And kids, in particular, almost exclusively play games on smart phones and tablets nowadays, rarely ever a desktop computer.

During peak hours my server usually had upwards of 30-40 players. Yet it was ranked at the bottom of the entire server listing only because most of its user-base was mobile users.

Last edited by sorcerykid on Thu Sep 06, 2018 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Servers are not penalised for having mobile users. They're penalised for having users with guest-style names, which was never an Android-only feature. The assumption is that guest names are lazy, and so the player is less likely to contribute. This assumption made a lot more sense when Guest was the only prefix (ie: Guest1234)

Fun fact: The name of a previous core developer, est31, comes from his first nickname when trying out the game - Guestxx31
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

As long as a server is open and free to the public, then all of the players are by definition guests (regardless of their username) except for the staff and the owner.

Whether or not a player contributes to a server is highly subjective. Not all players are expert builders. And, not all servers are building-focused either. That is just one method of gameplay. Some people (esp. little kids) prefer to explore, to chat, to fight mobs, or to PVP. Just because they don't conform to a singular method of gameplay, doesn't make them inherently "lazy".

If a server consists entirely of builders, then what incentive or reward is there to even continue building since there is nobody to appreciate and interact with those builds? Everyone may as well just fire up singleplayer with some mobs and AIs, as the end-result will be the same.

Imagine if company XYZ hired 100 programmers to develop a new state of the art 3d game called NoPlayers. It was released to raving reviews by all the top gaming magazines, and widely praised for having only developers but no players. The critics argued "End-users don't contribute to game design and architecture. They simply enjoy the game, so they are inherently less valuable. Game developers are all that matter in our annual rankings."

It's really no different than real life. Not everybody participates in the same way in society. Some people are "builders". Some people are "end-users". In tandem, they both create a vital community. So why is it expected that there is only one way to play Minetest? A truly realistic (and in my mind, engaging) Minetest server should have a balance of all different types of players :)

Lejo
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

by Lejo » Post

For Ranking have a look here