What Git (or other) repo are people migrating to?

What repository are you migrating/ have you migrated to?

I am sticking to M$ Github (github.com)
38%
Mesehub (git.minetest.land)
13%
NotABug (notabug.org)
8%
Gitlab (gitlab.com)
21%
Bitbucket (bitbucket.org)
4%
Gitea (gitea.io)
6%
Other (Git, please specify which in comments)
6%
Other (non-Git, please specify which in comments)
4%

Total votes: 52

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

What Git (or other) repo are people migrating to?

by Beerholder » Post

Just want to get a bit of a feel where everyone is migrating their Minetest mod source code to (if at all, hence the stay option ;-) This is for your primary repo, not mirrored ones. You can however choose multiple repositories (just for those that actually use multiple hosters for their primary repositories).

You can change the vote later, i.e. if you are on Github.com at the moment but sometime in the future you make the move, you can go back and change the option if you want :)

Please let me know if I missed another big one that I should add as an option (though only two more can be added). Thanks! :D

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: What Git (or other) repo are people migrating to?

by Pyrollo » Post

I forgot about Mesehub, it looks like a very good idea !
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

GitHub is staying where it is. Even some of the larger projects can't be bothered to move, because it's very likely a free git service will either require lots of storage and bandwidth to be appreciable, or costly in donations. Many other git repository services do not have as many useful feature sets such as GH.

I'd rather a company known for "developers developers developers" than one that takes bought startups and services out back and shoots them.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Switching seems rather pointless and inconvenient for everyone...

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

What most people forget is that GitHub is a proprietary platform.
It's quite ironic to use proprietary GitHub to host your free software on it, isn't it? ;=)
No, I don't mean the server-side code. That doesn't matter so much.
It depends on the user (that is: you, plus all your bug reporters, testers, contributors, coders, etc.) to run proprietary JavaScript for important site functionality (such as editing). It's still usable without JS, but not being able to edit is still a serious downgrade.
So you are subjugating yourself and your userbases and co-developers to using proprietary software. Have you even looked at the JavaScript code? It's 100% obfuscated, only the stars will know what this code actually does! ;-)
All GitHub needs to do is to to become acceptable is to release their unobfuscated JavaScript code under free software licenses.

Free software developers (like most of you are) should ask themselves how much they actually value freedom (their own, plus that of their userbase). If you do care, stay away from GitHub. There are many alternatives.

Gitea.io is not a standalone service, it's just the website for the software. People can use it on their own servers. Mesehub is an Gitea instance. Clearly recommend. Gitea does not have any freedom issues. It's basically a free GitHub clone, except you can ACTUALLY DISABLE PULL REQUESTS! YES! xD

By the way, most of my stuff is hosted on repo.or.cz. Keeping it simple …

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:By the way, most of my stuff is hosted on repo.or.cz. Keeping it simple …
...and unusable
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Gitea.io is not a standalone service, it's just the website for the software. People can use it on their own servers. Mesehub is an Gitea instance. Clearly recommend. Gitea does not have any freedom issues. It's basically a free GitHub clone, except you can ACTUALLY DISABLE PULL REQUESTS! YES! xD

By the way, most of my stuff is hosted on repo.or.cz. Keeping it simple …
Owww, I thought I had checked them all if they actually hosted code or not ... -_- Oh well.

I currently use GitHub but I am considering switching. I don't necessarily dislike M$ at this moment, hopefully Satya keeps steering the company in the right direction and they have truly rid themselves of the anti-OSS stance. I worked with and really liked their developer tools (well, except SourceSafe of course, in the end our source code ended up not being so safe after all), I love C# and think it is superior to Java in many ways (and I am an expert Java dev myself). M$ acquiring GitHub is logical and a great addition to their dev tools, so good for them!

But, everything M$ is proprietary and at this moment (or maybe stage in my life XD) I just don't want to use proprietary tools. I considered moving to git.tchncs.de (where Illuna, Beerarchy, etc. are hosted, GitLab instance) even before the M$/ GitHub news broke, and the news most certainly made me think again about this. Now that the dust is settled I was just wondering if people are staying put or migrating. And if migrating, where to.

So I voted GitHub (for now) but I am almost certainly going to migrate my mods to Mesehub soon, mirroring them on git.tchncs.de.
rubenwardy wrote: ...and unusable
Yes, repo.or.cz sure does bring back memories of browsing SunSITE with Mosaic. But the git command line is all you need. Who needs silly GUIs and fancy WWWs ;-)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I don't understand why people are always up in arms against repo.or.cz.
It's JUST a Git repository, basically. Theoretically, you don't even need a stinking website for a Git repository.
The web is not the only graphical way to access Git, there are some downloadable Git clients as well.

I am worried that developers become more and more dependent on fancy websites. And they find themselves completely helpless if the website is taken away from them.
Might this be the true reason why people refuse to move away from GitHub? Because they just became so dependent on it they simply can not use anything else? That would explain a lot. It's a quite horrifying thought.

Calling repo.or.cz “unusable” is absolute nonsense. As long you can click on links, are capable of reading texts and know how to use Git, you can use it. If you can't use repo.or.cz, this probably says more about your competence as a programmer than about anything else.

If you can't use Git without a fancy website, you really can't use Git at all. Also, do note that most of my projects are NOT community projects. Although I do not intentionally lock out potential contributors, I also do nothing to actively engage them. I always welcome patches, but that's it.
Jeez, you are developers, not the end users. End users have an excuse. You have none.

The reason for repo.or.cz is also historical.
Back in the days when I started with Git, I already disliked GitHub for being partially broken without JS (proprietary JS, I want to stress), and the website (frankly) just had too many pointless features for my taste, so I needed an alternative. That's also the reason why I never hosted any of my own code directly on GitHub. Now, my decision back then turned to be out to be absolutely correct.
Back then, repo.or.cz seemed to be the only hoster which works without proprietary JS. Remember, Mesehub did not even exist back then, and I don't know of Gitea as well.

Now, things have changed with more options available. Mesehub looks acceptable to me, the JS is unproblematic. Gitea is an awesome project. But migrating now would be a herculean and risky effort (Mesehub is not very old). If I start to migrate, I would start with the large projects first. But it's a low priority for me right now and I do not promise anything.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

repo.or.cz is objectively shite.

You don't need JS to have a user friendly website. http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/

There's also the fact that URLs are different for the website and the actual git, but not in a way which is typical (ie: .git), which is a pain in ass. There's a reason schems exist.

It's also amusing that you had a github repo just for issues because repo.or.cz is so trash

Basic CSS isn't fancy.

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yeah right, as if I would now migrate >20 repos. :D
It's nice you know that CSS can make JS obsolete. But explain that to millions of other webdesigners first. :(

Also, tbh, I don't really trust other hosters atm to not delete my things. repo.or.cz served me well for years.

Just because repo.or.cz does not include a bugtracker does not mean it's trash. The opposite of that would be “everything and the kitchen sink”.
It has only ONE purpose, namely, hosting Git repositories, and it does one this very well. “One should not judge a book by its cover.”

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

NoScript user here, GitLab made it scream.

I voted for Mesehub, I use NotABug as mirror.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

I'm not quite used to git. Is it easy to maintain mirrors ?
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

Pyrollo wrote:I'm not quite used to git. Is it easy to maintain mirrors ?
With pure Git (so no hosted service with web interface) that would normally be done using a sync script or using hooks in the source repository that push the changes to the mirror. This mechanism of using hooks is how one can mirror to GitHub so you need to do some extra work there.

Some hosted Git services allow you to mirror by just specifying the URL of the source repository you want to mirror. E.g. Gitea seems to allow you to very easily set this up via their web interface by creating a new so called "migration". So +1 there for Gitea

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Beerholder wrote: I love C# and think it is superior to Java in many ways...

But, everything M$ is proprietary and at this moment (or maybe stage in my life XD) I just don't want to use proprietary tools
Microsoft are building a completely open source cross-platform .Net / C# ecosystem around .Net Core, i.e. it's not just open source libraries, but the compiler, tools, ide, runtime etc as well. As a fellow C# fan it's very exciting.

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Post

Wuzzy wrote: It's nice you know that CSS can make JS obsolete.
What makes JS such a thread to digital freedom? Are other scripting languages (Python, Bash, Lua) less of a threat?

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

crazy_baboon wrote:
Wuzzy wrote: It's nice you know that CSS can make JS obsolete.
What makes JS such a thread to digital freedom? Are other scripting languages (Python, Bash, Lua) less of a threat?
JavaScript is the only one that "runs" in the browser. Any other language in the browser is an interpreter made in JavaScript.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I migrated to GitLab. The only active repository is my Minetest fork for Terrainbrot. And that is only because Minetest hasn't migrated so far. I also gave up my owner status of SuperTux because the SuperTux owners wanted me to accept 2FA. I really don't want Micro$oft©®™ to know my phone number, really.
DrFrankenstone wrote: Microsoft are building a completely open source cross-platform .Net / C# ecosystem around .Net Core, i.e. it's not just open source libraries, but the compiler, tools, ide, runtime etc as well. As a fellow C# fan it's very exciting.
This is totally Micro$oft©®™-ish. Make a huge bloatware that pretends to do everything, convince the user that nothing else exists and make it a terrible GUI. Don't allow the user to make anything that is "potentially-dangerous" and combine the application with other application. Yes. Big Brother is watching you. Big GUI is watching you.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Hume2 wrote:I also gave up my owner status of SuperTux because the SuperTux owners wanted me to accept 2FA. I really don't want Micro$oft©®™ to know my phone number, really.
Lol! That's not how it works. GitHub uses TOTP, an open protocol which is not based on phone numbers at all. GitHub generates a shared secret key which it then presents to you as a qrcode. When scanning this bar code, your phone saves this key. The phone when then use this key to generate tokens based on the current time. At no point does your phone communicate with GitHub, nor is your phone number given to GitHub.

Hello profile reader

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

rubenwardy wrote: Lol! That's not how it works. GitHub uses TOTP, an open protocol which is not based on phone numbers at all. GitHub generates a shared secret key which it then presents to you as a qrcode. When scanning this bar code, your phone saves this key. The phone when then use this key to generate tokens based on the current time. At no point does your phone communicate with GitHub, nor is your phone number given to GitHub.
I remember, there were two ways. One was with a mobile application and one was with mobile too but without any application. I'm not buying a mobile phone with camera that can run applications, so I chose the other variant. I was in half-way and it asked me for my phone number. And so I decided not to tell M$ my phone number.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I’m all in for GitLab! Unlimited free private repos, free CI/CD, free pages, useful modern web interface including issue management and all kinds of collaborative tools.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I suspect I'm the only one that ticked nearly every option (except GitHub lol). I tend to mirror my repos on multiple services since it's automated, and I'm hoping to migrate soon. Altho I still primarily use BitBucket only because I'd discovered it years ago. I think GitLab seems like the most fully featured of all the platforms I've tried.
Last edited by sorcerykid on Sat Sep 08, 2018 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I suspect I'm the only person that ticked almost every option (except GitHub lol).
Yes that’s the awesome thing with Git. Simply push your local repository wherever you want.

You could even self-host on cgit which basically looks like from 1996 with no functionality except browsing commits and files. I wish there were at least some modern looking CSS themes for cgit available.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Me, and a couple of guys from the linuxworks server, have moved to http://git.bananach.space/. This thing is maintained by gpcf, featuring a simple cgit instance. To create a repo there, you'll need to send a postcard to gpcf (or play on linuxworks).
However, I've left the mods that are mainly finished or that I don't maintain anymore on github (which are pretty all of them, only advtrains is currently on bananach)
There's also a bugtracker at bugs.linux-forks.de
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...