[Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

by Krock » Post

v-rob wrote:When you are on a slope, the view from the player is weird.
Until now it's only possible to change the eye offset of a player, but not the rotary centre. This centre is the same as before, so looking around will sometimes bury your head in the rails. So currently, there's only the choice between a blocked view when travelling up/down and this half-way working eye position displacement.
v-rob wrote:[...] separate entity between them that makes the two (or more) carts that are hitched together have the same speed.
This already has been done previously - a video is hidden somewhere on Youtube. Maybe you'll be luckier than me at finding it. The idea itself is great, but takes some time to program once I have time for this.
v-rob wrote:About forceloading: Are you saying there is actually code that can do this, but it isn't used?
The Minetest API provides functions that make forceloading possible. It's just the boost_cart mod that hasn't made use of them yet.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

voxelproof

An acceleration bug

by voxelproof » Post

I've noticed that there's probably a bug concerning physics of a cart movement. It definitely accelerates uphill without any powered rails, so it renders powered tracks practically useless in a hilly terrain. The cart still needs power on a longer flat stretches of rail.

The mod, apart this fault, is a significant improvement in comparison to the default carts (it means that my CPU is not fuming so much any more ;) ) Thanks a lot :)

EDIT: ufortunately after the latest Windows 8.1 update the mod ceased to be usable :( I cannot say for sure what's the reason, but probably it has sth to do with the graphic processor driver update. The cart tends to move along straight lines only, so it derails and floats forward beyond the track; what's even worse, when going downhill it sometimes falls below the ground surface. Sometimes getting out of the vehicle is impossible and one must exit the world. I'm sure that this is related to the Win update because I was using this mod hundreds of times and never anything like that happened - and now using it became impossible.

EDIT2: It looks that the performance of the mod is getting better with every use under new update. It obviously is caused by some strange AI optimization algorithm of the graphical unit. The performance of the game itself noticeably improved, as that of the display.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Krock
Developer

Re: An acceleration bug

by Krock » Post

voxelproof wrote:I've noticed that there's probably a bug concerning physics of a cart movement.
I noticed that too last Sunday, doing some tests with it. But by that time I had no clue why this happened and whether it also happened for other people too. Thanks for reporting - it's fixed now in the most recent commit.
voxelproof wrote:after the latest Windows 8.1 update the mod ceased to be usable
Well, increasing the performance of a whole system using a single mod is quite out of scope. I hope this performance regression caused by M$ gets fixed by them soon.

However, I'm glad that the mod still offers a few minor improvements performance-wise compared with the one in MTG.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

voxelproof

Re: An acceleration bug

by voxelproof » Post

Krock wrote:
voxelproof wrote:after the latest Windows 8.1 update the mod ceased to be usable
Well, increasing the performance of a whole system using a single mod is quite out of scope. I hope this performance regression caused by M$ gets fixed by them soon.
Yes, it got fixed quite soon :)) It is all about the significant boost in graphic performance of games in the Win8.1. At first it looked that something wrong is going with Minetest, but now both the game engine and your mod are running whole lot better than before (thx M$!)
However, I'm glad that the mod still offers a few minor improvements performance-wise compared with the one in MTG.
Not so minor, don't be so modest... Preventing laptops from catching fire is a matter of safety :D (Seriously, heating of the processor was obviously tangible ). Anyways, thanks a lot for your work - good job.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

The rails don't connect with a newer version of moreblocks.
This is a cool signature. :)

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

LRV wrote:The rails don't connect with a newer version of moreblocks.
How can I reproduce this issue? I pulled the newest version from git and the rails connect correctly as before. Non-rail nodes should not connect with rails, if that happened before.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Well, then try to drive with a cart from a copper rail to the other(it won't work).
This is a cool signature. :)

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

LRV wrote:Well, then try to drive with a cart from a copper rail to the other(it won't work).
Sorry for the late answer, I haven't seen your reply until a few minutes ago. The bug is now fixed.

alxk
GitHub: alex-unknown
In-game: unknown

by alxk » Post

This mod ist great!!!!
But when you try to build an automatic cart systen on multiplayer servers, the system didn't work because some guys think, that the should control the cart.That's why I added locked carts to the mod:

https://github.com/alxki/boost_cart

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Does this mod override the default minecarts or do i have to get rid of those first before installing this mod?
*EDIT: nvm, the answer is in the mod description.

BTW: did you play on CTF as "Krock"?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

alxk wrote:I added locked carts to the mod
This idea is nice. It prevents people from stealing carts or manipulating them. However, the locked carts can be placed by anyone on any rail net where they have access to. If there are long, connected railways, then consider to allow the area owners to remove the locked carts.
Stix wrote:did you play on CTF as "Krock"?
Yes.

Dan2018

by Dan2018 » Post

May have missed something, but how do you destroy the carts?

Cant seem to delete them.

Edit. Sorry, checked the code and worked it out. Gotta turn noclip off.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Dan2018 wrote:May have missed something, but how do you destroy the carts?
The item description states: "Sneak+Click to pick up", which means that you'll have to press Shift and punch the cart.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I made a pull request (https://github.com/SmallJoker/boost_cart/pull/25) for making the player reattach to the cart they were on after leaving and reentering the game. It makes sure that if a player leaves the game while on a cart, other players can then get onto that cart, and if the original player in the cart reconnects to the game, he will not reattach to that cart since there is already a player in it.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

amadin

by amadin » Post

Direction of a player's sight not change after cart turns if use first person view. Is this normal? MT 0.4.16

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

@amadin: Yes, that's normal because changing the player's view direction wrecks up the client's camera smoothing (cinematic mode).

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Krock wrote:@amadin: Yes, that's normal because changing the player's view direction wrecks up the client's camera smoothing (cinematic mode).
Plus, it would be very annoying. I prefer to look where I want to look.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

PowerOlive
IRC: powerolive
In-game: powerolive

by PowerOlive » Post

what?down key!!!sneak+click:)

goldcrest42
GitHub: claretty

by goldcrest42 » Post

Krock wrote:
Badake wrote:However, now he cant seem to remove it, any ideas?
Hold shift and punch/left click on the cart to take it.
I've had a similar problem - my cart came off the rails in mid-tunnel and I can't shift it, even this way!

I'm running 0.4.17.1 on a 2015 Macbook Pro with 10.13.6 (High Sierra). I have found that I can't use the 'sneak' (left shift) to go down ladders or descend in 'fly' mode, I have to tick the 'use=climb down' option and use E on the keyboard. But that doesn't help here.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Beware of programmers with soldering irons!

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

goldcrest42 wrote:Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Universal Cart Removal Guide ©®™
It may look a bit complicated, just begin from 1 and read the next step after jumping.

1) Enable the debug information (default key F5), so that you can see the text 'pos' and the coordinates on the top left. If you can't: go to step 5.
2) If you can see the cart (even just partially), point at it. The text "GenericCAO" should appear. If it doesn't appear: go to step 6.
3) Press the key to go down the ladder for at least a second until you left-click (punch) the cart in combination. Cart not removed, but step 2 still present? Repeat this step until the carts are all gone.
4) You're done (problem might not be solved, though). Ask the server admin to update boost_cart to minimize this problem. Do not follow any further instructions here.
5) Are you sure it was F5? Maybe use Fn+F5 or some weird MacOS-key combo to get the actual F5 key. If there is no F5 key, change it to something you can press. Proceed with step 2 after this worked. If there's no keyboard: go to step 4.
6) The cart is too deep inside the node. Dig the node or use "noclip" + "fly" (if granted: fly inside the cart) and proceed with step 2. If you can't either of them, continue with step 4.

Still not solved? Well, that sucks. Ask the server admin to begin with 6).

goldcrest42

by goldcrest42 » Post

Thanlks, I'll have a go at that when I've digested my steak!!

goldcrest42

by goldcrest42 » Post

Krock wrote:
goldcrest42 wrote:Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Re step 6 below, my original cart was quite deep in the hill, so I made another one near the entry point and experimented on that.
Universal Cart Removal Guide ©®™
It may look a bit complicated, just begin from 1 and read the next step after jumping.

1) Enable the debug information (default key F5), so that you can see the text 'pos' and the coordinates on the top left. If you can't: go to step 5.
F5 works and shows this info.
2) If you can see the cart (even just partially), point at it. The text "GenericCAO" should appear. If it doesn't appear: go to step 6.
What actually appears is this, transcribed from the screen:
Generic CAO hp=10
armor=(immortal=1,)

Hmm, I thought...
I checked inside cart_entity.lua and found this line:

self.object:set_armor_groups({immortal=1})

Is this significant?

(This is my first taste of lua, though I do know C, and a smidgen of C++)
3) Press the key to go down the ladder for at least a second until you left-click (punch) the cart in combination. Cart not removed, but step 2 still present? Repeat this step until the carts are all gone.
No joy, alas..
4) You're done (problem might not be solved, though). Ask the server admin to update boost_cart to minimize this problem. Do not follow any further instructions here.
5) Are you sure it was F5? Maybe use Fn+F5 or some weird MacOS-key combo to get the actual F5 key. If there is no F5 key, change it to something you can press. Proceed with step 2 after this worked. If there's no keyboard: go to step 4.
6) The cart is too deep inside the node. Dig the node or use "noclip" + "fly" (if granted: fly inside the cart) and proceed with step 2. If you can't either of them, continue with step 4.

Still not solved? Well, that sucks. Ask the server admin to begin with 6).
Looks like that's my next step!
Thanks for your efforts.

(PS.Tidied things up a bit..)

goldcrest42

by goldcrest42 » Post

Update:
I've added a comment to the Bug #6727 page on Github 'Default sneak key doesn't exist on macOS'. (Nor does a # key, but there is a workaround!)

goldcrest42

by goldcrest42 » Post

Another update: temporary workaround hack on Mac

I have sidestepped this problem in 0.4.17.1 on the Mac as follows.

I examined the code for the 'carts' mod, in particular the section 'cart_entity.lua'. This code uses the 'sneak' action thus:

'-- Player digs cart by sneak-punch
if puncher:get_player_control().sneak then'

I checked the wiki for get_player_control and found this

' get_player_control() — Returns table with player's pressed keys.

Format: {jump=bool, right=bool, left=bool, LMB=bool, RMB=bool, sneak=bool, aux1=bool, down=bool, up=bool}

get_player_control_bits() — Returns an integer bitfield with player's pressed keys.

Bits: 0/up, 1/down, 2/left, 3/right, 4/jump, 5/aux1, 6/sneak, 7/LMB, 8/RMB '

It's not clear what 'aux1' is (or LMB and RMB come to that!) but I found this in GitHub #4703 from Wuzzy2:

'This PR renames the “Use” key ([E], also known as “aux1”, cofigured with keymap_special1) to “Special”.'

So I changed 'sneak' in the cart code to 'aux1' and used E-punch successfully to retrieve my stranded carts!

Is there a list on the wiki anywhere which clarifies what keys the control bits refer to?