Keybindings General

Insurrection
In-game: Insurrection

Keybindings General

by Insurrection » Post

This is a thread for the general discussion of keybindings - both as a feature, and lack thereof.

One thing that sticks out to me is how "hardcoded" a lot of keybindings are in Minetest. Obviously, it'd be nice to completely customize all of one's keys, but that doesn't really work in practice. One problem often brought up is that if a server uses a mod that has extra allowable keybindings, it might mess with players who play on different servers. A solution might be to just have per-server keybinds - so a player may have to re-bind their keys each time they enter a new server (with applicable mods), but not each time they enter any server. Also, obviously, "default" keybinds by "minetest game" would be treated as universal where applicable.

Another solution is to have a few pre-defined "extra" keys that don't have a function by default, but can be assigned one if the player so decides. This would be nice for splitting certain keys/mouse buttons - especially for common mod/game features like "sprint". Even better would be the ability to assign command macros to certain keys.

Lastly, it'd be great if mouse buttons in general could be (re)mapped - especially for those of us who have more than 3 buttons on our mice. Being able to toggle, say, noclip with a mouse button rather than a key press would be handy. Or just for general mod/game use.

jas
IRC: Freenode

Re: Keybindings General

by jas » Post

It's funny because I just posted this comment: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... -424960934

Ideally we'll be able to bind any action to any key. Such is not the case, actually we're unable even to rebind the mouse keys.

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

jas wrote:It's funny because I just posted this comment: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pu ... -424960934

Ideally we'll be able to bind any action to any key. Such is not the case, actually we're unable even to rebind the mouse keys.
I guess the main concern is about Android versions and how to have similar controls on keyboardless devices.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Insurrection
In-game: Insurrection

by Insurrection » Post

Hmm, good point - maybe a solution could just be to allow for game creators to specify whether a game should be playable on keyboardless devices/etc. Might not be very nice for those playing on android, but I think it'd be a worthwhile sacrifice for those who want some good content for a PC game made in MT.