I need a completely flat green map

Ayden

I need a completely flat green map

by Ayden » Post

Hi,

I want to create a mansion neighborhood on completely endless flat green land. No trees, caves, sand, flowers, water, hills, or anything else, just flat green land.

How can I do this? I tried finding a mod that does this but it doesn't work.

Since making buildings on flat land is common in Minecraft, there should be an easy way in Minetest to select this option.

Thanks

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: I need a completely flat green map

by sorcerykid » Post

I believe the only way to get a completely flat world with only grassland is to install the flatgen mod.

viewtopic.php?id=8952

Be careful not to use the "flat" mapgen during world creation. That only generates flat terrain. but it won't disable biomes and decorations.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You can get a flat world without mods. HOWEVER, it's not perfect, you still have biomes, so it's not 100% grass.

First, go to advanced settings, search for “mg_flags”. Edit this, enter the value “nocaves,nodungeons,light,nodecorations”. This setting gets rid of caves, dungeons, trees and plants for new worlds.

Then go to the world creation menu, create a new world. Select the world type “flat”. Enter a world name and hit create, then play in it. There, you now got a flat land

NOTE: After you created a flat world, you may want to reset the setting “mg_flags” to the default afterwards, if you want to have caves, dungeons, trees and dungeons in new worlds again.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Wuzzy's solution works, except it still requires installing (or creating a mod) that registers only a grassland biome.

It's unfortunate that there is still no way to simply deactivate biomes on a per-world basis, without having to alter the game itself. Ideally the world creation screen would allow biomes to be toggled on/off based on a setting in minetest.conf or world.mt.

Of course, I realize some games depend on the existence of certain biomes, so perhaps more intuitive solution might be to introduce a new API for game-specific settings to be shown in the world creation screen. I'm not sure how that would be implemented, as it's beyond the scope of this topic. Just brainstorming :)
Last edited by sorcerykid on Thu Sep 27, 2018 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Chiantos

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 04:57, edited 1 time in total.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

After a bit more digging (no pun intended), I found this all-grassland mod that is compatible with the "flat" mapgen.

https://github.com/CoderForTheBetter/grassland/

I haven't tested it personally, but supposedly it disables all biomes, decorations, and schematics automatically.

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

by Devy » Post

That's my mod! I just updated it so that caves are now turned off automatically. I'll paste this here though, use caution when using this mod:

NOTE: Grasslands mod modifies map generation settings 'caves' and 'dungeons'. This mod tries to reset these settings when the world is closed, but if they are not (computer or world crash) then the disabled settings will modify the generation of new caves and dungeons in other worlds. To turn on dungeons and caves then open a world with this mod enabled and then leave, or go to settings page and search 'mg_flags' (without quotes) to manually reset the flags. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Also, my mod will not have a light issue.

That message is displayed everytime in chat when you use this mod.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Since I just linked this thread as an answer...

The wiki page also mentions the Superflat Mapgen mod, which was updated in 2017, but I've not tried it.

Perhaps flatgen should be removed from the wiki page and replaced with grassland.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

What Wuzzy wrote.
Plus a simple mod that clears all registered biomes and registers a single grassy biome. This mod should depend on 'default' and the init.lua should be:

Code: Select all

minetest.clear_registered_biomes()

minetest.register_biome({
	name = "grassland",
	node_top = "default:dirt_with_grass",
	depth_top = 1,
	node_filler = "default:dirt",
	depth_filler = 3,
	y_max = 31000,
	y_min = -31000,
	heat_point = 50,
	humidity_point = 50,
})
Much better to do it this way using the engine's Flat mapgen and Biome API because lua mapgens are slow.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Devy wrote:That's my mod! I just updated it so that caves are now turned off automatically. I'll paste this here though, use caution when using this mod:

NOTE: Grasslands mod modifies map generation settings 'caves' and 'dungeons'. This mod tries to reset these settings when the world is closed, but if they are not (computer or world crash) then the disabled settings will modify the generation of new caves and dungeons in other worlds. To turn on dungeons and caves then open a world with this mod enabled and then leave, or go to settings page and search 'mg_flags' (without quotes) to manually reset the flags. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Also, my mod will not have a light issue.

That message is displayed everytime in chat when you use this mod.
Is it really necessary to change the global settings each time you start the world, and revert them on quit? Aren't mapgen settings saved per-world anyways?(in world.mt)
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

by Devy » Post

I'm not sure. Show me the code you would use for that and I'll implement it but I couldn't figure it or test anything.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Well, I haven't actually looked at your code... I may have a look...
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...