ContentDB - now with package translation support

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Content database for in-menu installer - add your things

by texmex » Post

Note that Gogs and Gitea instances replicates Github API quite well, so integration with those should be easy too.

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

Spoiler
I just read the Package Inclusion Policy and Guidance and noticed something wrong. At 3.1first paragraph last clause it should be "3.2" and not "2.2".
https://content.minetest.net/policy_and_guidance/

https://github.com/minetest/contentdb/pull/100/files

(I know it's only a draft.)
Last edited by cx384 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 15:39, edited 5 times in total.
Can your read this?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

An exception to the above is that mods are allowed to have the same name as a mod if its a fork of that mod (or a close reimplementation). In real terms, it should be possible to use the new mod as a drop-in replacement.

We reserve the right to decide whether a mod counts as a fork or reimplementation of the mod that owns the name.
But how would that actually work? In Minetest, you simply can't have two mods with identical names. It is completely unable to handle that. You have to delete all other mods first. But you can't have 2 mods with identical technical name installed at the same time. This is a problem.
What does Minetest do when you try to install such a mod?

Duplicate names are a mess, why even encourage this practice? It just makes things worse.
What's the point of technical names if you can't even rely on them being unique?
I think uniqueness of technical names is a very important property. Names should never have been re-used in the first place.

As for the idea of “drop-in replacement”, this should probably be done properly with engine support. Deliberately re-using a technical name and breaking unique names is a huge hack.

PorygonZRocks
GitHub: BeeeWall

by PorygonZRocks » Post

Just saw this, nice! Will your Minetest Mods app be updated to use this site?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Yes, when there's enough content
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I love it!

Problems found so far:
- I accidentally created a wrong release, but have no option to remove it.
Would it be possible to pull the releases from github too? Instead of manually adding them.
- The in game menu shows 9 games while the website shows 8.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Casimir wrote:- I accidentally created a wrong release, but have no option to remove it.
Removed. This is intention, but I guess it doesn't hurt to be able to remove unapproved releases
Casimir wrote:Would it be possible to pull the releases from github too? Instead of manually adding them.
You can import from Github automatically using the VCS option, but there's no support for Github's releases yet. Support for this is planned, but isn't particularly high priority on the scale of things
Casimir wrote:The in game menu shows 9 games while the website shows 8.
Looks like it's showing unapproved packages for some reason, I'll add that to the issue tracker

Hello profile reader

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Thanks for writing the new content database. It looks very good already. So we'll finally get some good and easy modmanagement for players so that they can install what they want without having to search the forum?
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Comments about Package Inclusion Policy (at least the draft) …
It is not permitted to submit abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where "Content DB” is hosted or International Law.
This goes too far.

The definition of “obscene” is very debatable, this depends a lot on the culture you live in.
“sexually-orientated”? Why so prude? Do you live in the U.S.A.?
“slanderous”? Well, any form of parody can certainly be perceived as slanderous by those who are being mocked.
“vulgar”? Nice, now we are going to police language as well?!
“hateful”? This is not unambigiously bad in my view. Hate is, first of all, an emotion. You can hate all sorts of things without hurting anybody.

I can only approve of “abusive” and “threatening” to be bad things which we shouldn't promote.
All the other things are basically moral judgements of the content. I can not accept this. We should be neutral towards the content. Note that forum policy does not do ANY moral judgement of the mods. I don't see why we should start now.
any material that may violate any laws be it of your country
This restriction is totally unneccessary. Why should you care? If the law of a foreign nation is violated by your users, that's not your problem.
the country where "Content DB” is hosted
I can understand that one, it's for covering your own ass. Should mention which country that is, otherwise it's not helpful.
International Law
This does not make sense. Wikipedia defines internatonal law as “the set of rules generally regarded and accepted as binding in relations between states and between nations”. States and nations will not post mods on the Content DB. :D
ContentDB should only currently contain playable content, ie: stuff that would be in Mod Releases and Game Releases.
It should be clarified that Mod/Game Releases is the name of a subforum, also add links.
3. Technical Names
I already commented on that one before. I am still waiting for a response.
If the license you use is not on the list then please choose the correct "Other" option.
This opens the door to tons of non-free licenses, even full copyright.
And full copyright of course implies a “no derivates” policy.
“Other” should therefore not be a selectable option.

We should encourage using tried-and-tested licenses, and not obscure or even self-written ones. But in case someone desperately wants a license added, it can be requested to be added to the list and it will be added to the list after a short review. The approval could be automatic if the license is FSF or OSI-approved.
The use of licenses which do not allow derivatives or redistribution is not permitted. This includes CC-ND (No-Derivatives) and lots of closed source licenses.
(…)
However, closed sourced licenses are allowed if they allow the above.
Let's view that from the user perspective for a moment.

So, freedoms 1, 2 and 3 (from the Free Software Definition) are guaranteed. Good.

But freedom 0 (freedom to use the software for any purpose) is not guaranteed. This means that a license which forbids mere usage of the software in any way is unambigiously permitted.

Note this is not merely about commercial use, this is about any use.

Please note that all the following clauses would all be perfectly fine:

- “Must not be used for commercial purporses” (whatever a “commercial purpose” is)
- “Must not be used by the Military”
- “Must not be used by government institutions”
- “Must not be used by racist/bigoted/evil/etc. organizations or people”
- “Must not be used by people who do not subscribe to the idea of $IDEOLOGY”
- “Must not be used to perform evil deeds”
- “Must not be shown in monetized videos on YouTube or similar platforms”
- “If you use it, you must not advertise the software”
- “If you use it, you must advertise the software” (e.g. the 4-clause BSD license!)
- etc. etc.

Besides, CC-ND is not a real license. Please rewrite that part (e.g. “Creative Commons licenses with the No-Derivatives clause”).

I do not argue about this at this point here, I am merely stating facts. My arguing goes in the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20193
4.2 Recommended Licenses
Non-free licenses like CC BY-SA-NC are not discouraged. Free licenses are not encouraged. This is not good.
The document, as it stands now, suggests that there is absolutely nothing wrong with non-free licenses.
Paid promotions are not allowed at all, anywhere.
Does that mean that if a mod contains an advertisement, it's not allowed?

Finally, some words about the list of licenses in the drop-down list:

The Creative Commons licenses should be clarified by their version numbers (just like GPL), down to version 2.0 (I believe version 1.0 is dead. I have NEVER seen version 1.0 in the wild.).
Apache License should be clarified as version 2.0 (version 1.0 is not FSF/OSI-approved).
FreeBSD License is the same as the 2-clause BSD license. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsd_licen ... ense%22%29

----

Final takeaway:
I cannot approve of a service with a policy which is so anti-freedom.
In protest of this, I will continue to not post mods, games and updates on the Content DB.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
It is not permitted to submit abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where "Content DB” is hosted or International Law.
That paragraph is from the rules you see when signing up on the forums.
Wuzzy wrote:It should be clarified that Mod/Game Releases is the name of a subforum, also add links.
Wuzzy wrote:Non-free licenses like CC BY-SA-NC are not discouraged. Free licenses are not encouraged. This is not good. The document, as it stands now, suggests that there is absolutely nothing wrong with non-free licenses.
Added to todo list
Wuzzy wrote:I already commented on that one before. I am still waiting for a response.
Forks will be allowed and this will not change. Changing this will bar mods like mobs redo from being on cdb. Note that cdb represents how the engine works, not the other way around.
Wuzzy wrote:This opens the door to tons of non-free licenses, even full copyright.
And full copyright of course implies a “no derivates” policy.
“Other” should therefore not be a selectable option.
Non-free licenses are allowed, and it already says that "no derivates" licenses are not allowed.
Wuzzy wrote:We should encourage using tried-and-tested licenses, and not obscure or even self-written ones. But in case someone desperately wants a license added, it can be requested to be added to the list and it will be added to the list after a short review. The approval could be automatic if the license is FSF or OSI-approved.
This kills UI, I'll wait until I add support for that standard for specifying licenses.
Wuzzy wrote:*snip* [stuff about freedoms and licenses] *snip*
There's a dedicated topic for this
Wuzzy wrote:Does that mean that if a mod contains an advertisement, it's not allowed?
Only applies to the cdb listing, although this code be clarified.
Wuzzy wrote:The Creative Commons licenses should be clarified by their version numbers (just like GPL), down to version 2.0 (I believe version 1.0 is dead. I have NEVER seen version 1.0 in the wild.).
Apache License should be clarified as version 2.0 (version 1.0 is not FSF/OSI-approved).
FreeBSD License is the same as the 2-clause BSD license. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsd_licen ... ense%22%29
I'll correct the Apache and FreeBSD ones. I'll leave CC until I add support for that standard for specifying licenses (like LGPLv2.1+) as the list is getting a bit unmaintainable
Wuzzy wrote: I cannot approve of a service with a policy which is so anti-freedom.
In protest of this, I will continue to not post mods, games and updates on the Content DB.
In that case, why don't you stop using the forums?

It's not anti-freedom - free licenses are allowed and encouraged by not having a red warning. It's just not anti-proprietary, which is an issue discussed in another topic.

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

With anti-freedom I was actually referring to:
That paragraph is from the rules you see when signing up on the forums.
Wait, aren't these just the default phpBB rules?
What about <viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17151>?

Copying the forum rules and applying them to things on Content DB seems … strange and, to be honest, lazy.
Also, great job in ignoring my specific criticisms. :-(
I think rules that apply to posts should not be the same that apply to mods you post.

In that case, why don't you stop using the forums?
It's a protest against Content DB policy, not forum policy. It's more like a symbolic statement than anything else.
I will not delete all my mods over this, nor resort to other destructive behaviour.

EDIT:
We should encourage using tried-and-tested licenses, and not obscure or even self-written ones. But in case someone desperately wants a license added, it can be requested to be added to the list and it will be added to the list after a short review. The approval could be automatic if the license is FSF or OSI-approved.
This kills UI, I'll wait until I add support for that standard for specifying licenses.
How does this kill UI? I meant something along the lines of “If your license is not listed here, ask rubenwardy to add it” and with “automatic” I meant it gets approved without much thinking. If even the FSF approves a license, then it certainly is fine for Content DB. I was NOT thinking about a sophisticated “license approval algorithm” or other crazy shit. ;-)

You seem to be already over-engineering this.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Random changelog

Wuzzy, and Linuxdirk: I've implemented a few of your suggestions

Features / Improvements
  • Packages can no longer be approved if they have a license of "other". Added an interface for moderators and admins to add and edit licenses.
  • Updated list of licenses.
  • Added in-house forum parser to be more accurate than Krock's mod search, and also contain more information. Also added an api
  • Revised policy. WIP things are now allowed, and further restricted allowed licenses.
  • Added support for filtering by multiple package types.
  • Added support for comment threads on approved packages. Can only be created by the package owner or an editor, in order to stop spam. Added support to subscribe and unsubscribe from threads. Comments now support markdown
  • Added release specific download link.
  • Added commit hash to releases - shown in release lists and on the edit release page.
  • Added forum topic validation - now checks that the author is the same, among other things.
  • Added popular sorting, and new and popular sections to home page
Bug fixes
  • Fixed license drop down.
  • Fixed blurriness in thumbnails.
  • Fixed typo in link to task in edit package release.

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

This release thing is so annoying. I’d love to contribute to the database but to me this is simply too much work to open up the database, register a new release and do stuff all the time … But I like the new consistency :)

I wish it would be possible to simply add a Git link and the database automatically fetches the files and creates a release everytime something was changed in the repository (maybe check once a week or so) and removes the previous release – because it’s rolling release, baby :)

Edit: Just added a modpack from GitLab. Worked flawlessly!

Sires
GitHub: Sires0
IRC: Sires
In-game: Sires Sores Siri Seris or anything ppl call me

by Sires » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:I wish it would be possible to simply add a Git link and the database automatically fetches the files and creates a release everytime something was changed in the repository (maybe check once a week or so) and removes the previous release[/i]
I luv the idea, also I think it should only make a new release if a file version.txt changed.
I don't have anything important to say.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Sires wrote:I luv the idea, also I think it should only make a new release if a file version.txt changed.
In rolling release there are no versions.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The license drop-down list is unreadable right now. Both in JavaScript and non-JavaScript versions.
Everything is just invisible text except the highlighted entry.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The license drop-down list is unreadable right now. Both in JavaScript and non-JavaScript versions.
Everything is just invisible text except the highlighted entry.
Force reload the page (ctrl+shift+r). If that doesn't help, please tell me your browser versions, GTK themes, and give a screenshot

Hello profile reader

Evil_Gabe
GitHub: thecow275
In-game: thecow275 - HermanFarman - Evil_Gabe

by Evil_Gabe » Post

it would be usefull if details had a field for compatible version(s) for example if a mod works in 0.5.0 and somehow it is broken in 0.5.1 there currently is no way of knowing if it works and the game itself would not load a mod that is not compatible with the current version to avoid issues in the version they are in also a field for incompatible mods that the mod interferes with and the game wouldn't allow for usage of these mods while the mod that interferes is enabled and possibly a version check bypass in the game with a option ingame which would display a warning on the main menu when enabled that would let the user know that some of the mods that they have installed may not work in the version of the game they are useing
Last edited by Evil_Gabe on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
-if you cant find the issue in your code rewrite the sphagetti you wrote

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Evil_Gabe wrote:it would be usefull if details had a field for compatible version(s) for example if a mod works in 0.5.0 and somehow it is broken in 0.5.1 there currently is no way of knowing if it works and the game itself would not load a mod that is not compatible with the current version to avoid issues in the version they are in also a field for incompatible mods that the mod interferes with and the game wouldn't allow for usage of these mods while the mod that interferes is enabled and possibly a version check bypass in the game with a option ingame which would display a warning on the main menu when enabled that would let the user know that the some mods that they have installed may not work in the version of the game they are useing
This will be added once we get close to having more supported versions than just 5.0

Hello profile reader

Evil_Gabe
GitHub: thecow275
In-game: thecow275 - HermanFarman - Evil_Gabe

by Evil_Gabe » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Evil_Gabe wrote:it would be usefull if details had a field for compatible version(s) for example if a mod works in 0.5.0 and somehow it is broken in 0.5.1 there currently is no way of knowing if it works and the game itself would not load a mod that is not compatible with the current version to avoid issues in the version they are in also a field for incompatible mods that the mod interferes with and the game wouldn't allow for usage of these mods while the mod that interferes is enabled and possibly a version check bypass in the game with a option ingame which would display a warning on the main menu when enabled that would let the user know that the some mods that they have installed may not work in the version of the game they are useing
This will be added once we get close to having more supported versions than just 5.0
nice to hear that it is planned but not until more versions than 5.0 exist as it serves as the test for this and if it will be worth it in the long run
-if you cant find the issue in your code rewrite the sphagetti you wrote

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Nice design update of ContentDB!

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Thanks! I forgot to mention:

ContentDB redesign

ContentDB has been redesigned to improve the user friendliness of the site.

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

On author overview page the database site now prominently links to my inactive and dead GitHub account. Is it possible to change this to a more generic “Git” or even MORE generic “Coding” link and make it configurable from the back-end when logged in?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

No, the link is because the github account is connected to the profile. I can offer a way for the account to be disconnected, but I can't change that field to be more generic because it breaks its purpose.
I'm also wary of allowing arbitrary profile links on that PR, because there's not enough added value. It's not a social media site

Removed github from your profile. Please make sure to set a password, or you'll be locked out of your account

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:No, the link is because the github account is connected to the profile.
Password was set long time ago. So this did not unlink it but only changed the login method?

Why do you allow a Microsoft service as only reference link?