[GAME] Tolkien Test

Nota

[GAME] Tolkien Test

by Nota » Post

License:
- LGPLv2.1
- Sounds.txt in the base directory contains sound info
- See the license.txt or README of each mod for information regarding authorship

Description:

Since I could not contact the original creators of Lord of the Test, I have forked it. Much of the orginal content remains untouched because it's amazing stuff (thanks guys).

Also, thanks very much to all the mod authors I have borrowed from (either direct content or ideas). Hyrule was VERY helpful, as well as some of DOOMED's mobs.

Not *everything* is compatible with Tolkien lore, but I went for fun and function over immersion.

I've added a lot to the base game:

- Weapons like Sting, Glamdring, Wizard Staff, Grond, High Elven Bow, Elvish Glaive, Gimli's Axe. All have different magic functions and are useful for scouting, detection, travel, and of course smiting evil.

- Lothlorien clothing, dwarven armor, and ranger boots! Each has different powers.

- Mystic Rods. Not very lore friendly, but really fun and powerful, especially before you get ring crafting going.

- Dragons! Acquire rare gems and eggs, hatch your own dragon, and ride around the Shire terrorizing the inhabitants!

- Rings of Power overhaul. All four are now worth making, and all VERY useful and powerful.

- Ring crafting failure (destroying all ingredients) reduced to basically zero, because that was a drag. Failure rates on gem polishing/refining still apply.

- Lore books overhaul to describe ring/rod/weapon crafting, and what the new items do.

- Existing guidebooks (palantir, rings) heavily tweaked for readability and grammar. Book recipes heavily tweaked.

- New monsters including one VERY scary new one that is a challenge even with advanced weaponry/armor. She has 8 legs, evil offspring, and wields a *deadly* venom. If you are very deep in the earth, watch out! She may creep up on you before you have a chance to react.

- Silver Dwarf harp, for those evenings at the local inn where you just need some Irish jams.

- Silver Dwarven whistle, improved version of the "lesser" whistles.

- The One Ring (rare drop from scary new monster, who has... ingested it)

- Added items from Cottages for more homely houses, and beds to sleep the night away.

- Armor formula reworked. You now have a value 0-100. 100 armor drastically reduces damage from mobs/players, and can even give immunity to lesser damage.

- Changed GUI icons to bars, added armor and mana for a total of five bars

- Mana added to balance use of more powerful weapons.

- Graves become lootable by everyone after 20 minutes, and can then be removed from the world. Previous versions left the grave there forever, which was annoying.

- Various items from "church" mod added: Bells, benches/pews, crosses, candles, stained glass. They are perfectly compatible with my family's ideas of "lore", but if you don't agree you can easily take these out.

- Areas mod added for easy server admin

- Added signs you can write on

- Tom Bombadil may be rarely found near Hobbiton! He doesn't care much for worldly currency, but is known to love pipeweed...

- Added anvils

- Added some new use/armor textures for rings.

- Wooden armor speeds you up slightly. Mithril/Galvorn armor speeds you up very slightly.

- Added four ocarinas which play different tunes (from Hyrule). Three are magical and will summon different things (handy when you run out of food in a cave, hint hint). Again not very lore friendly, but fun.

Bugs and TODO:

- Has been tested with damage ON and creative mode OFF. "Remove far mobs" should be set to "disabled", otherwise summoned guardians may not work correctly (required extensive testing).

- You have to right click on your summoned guardians to get them to attack the right things. This is actually a feature since you can set their behavior this way.

- Code is all over the place, not always where you expect it. Partly my fault and partly the original game. "grep -r" is your friend.

- If you are sitting (horse, chair, bench) and you die you do NOT get a grave, all your stuff in inventory will be gone. I didn't code this part, just figured it out.

- First player to log in is automatically an admin, and therefore a wizard. This removes the race the player chooses permanently, I think? Best way to avoid this is to make sure the admin is always on first, or is the same client that hosts the server.

- Over many hours of the server being up, the stamina system gets broken. Food drains very quickly (walking, crafting, etc). I have tweaked the stamina mod values a bit to compensate, but I've found the best way to fix it is to just restart the server every 8 hours or so. No idea what causes this.

- Armor bar doesn't always update on login. Switching out one armor item fixes this.

- When playing "random" audio, as in the Silver Harp/Whistle, each player in range hears a different choice. Would be nice if it was the same, so you could dance around to the same tune!

Contributing: If you'd like to contribute something or report bugs, email ben@theholtsite.com

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION HERE

HORRIBLY UNCOMPRESSED SCREENSHOTS HERE
Last edited by Nota on Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:23, edited 10 times in total.

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

Re: [GAME] Tolkien Test

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

That's so seen the new "The Lord of Test "
Spoiler
I hate my life

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Is it a public server?
What is SCP-055?

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

Chem871 wrote:Is it a public server?
No, it's a game. You even wrote that yourself.
Spoiler
I hate my life

Nota

by Nota » Post

Chem871 wrote:Is it a public server?
No it's just for my family right now, but you can try it out yourself!

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Nota maybe consider contacting KGM, he's been making his own LOTR MT Subgame as well : LOTH. It's also very good and I believe if we could merge both subgames together, the result would be magnificient. KGM has focused on mobs, and therefore, has much better and much more mobs than LOTT. Plus, he made some special things (3 new dimensions), map, etc...
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Nota

by Nota » Post

I'm cool with that, he can use my ideas or send me his!

Did you check out my version, what do you like/dislike about it?

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

No, sry, didn't check it out yet, but I know original LOTT. What I disliked most was that there are only odd melee mobs.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Joeqqq
In-game: Joeqqq

by Joeqqq » Post

I thought this sub game was great. It is so much better than the old LOTT.

Nota

by Nota » Post

:)

Nota

by Nota » Post

I'm currently adding some things and fixing bugs! Fixed a guard-related crash, added two Silmarils (and guidebook), fixed some shooting weapons hitting shooter, modified a bunch of weapons. Changes not reflected in download yet, but soon.

Nota

by Nota » Post

New version posted.

- Various bug fixes
- Added Elfstone, lets you set a "home" location and teleport to it. Requires lots of "elvish" things to make.
- Added Silmarillion and a guidebook for them. They combine the functions of all four rods, but better. Awesome items, as game-changing as the four rings.
- Sting (probably my favorite idea and weapon) can also change you into a very stealthy form...
- Wizard Staff is now more powerful, and takes Glamdring and the High Elven Bow to make. The secondary function (sneak + click) is fairly awesome and... Gandalf like :) The main use fires very powerful bolts of magic.
- Added Lothlorien clothing. Each piece (out of 5 total) increases mana regen by 20%, so a full set doubles your regen, VERY useful. Dropped by various evil monsters.
- Added Dwarven Armor. Each piece (out of 4 total, one of the rings occupies a chest slot) increases fire resistance by 1. If you have Nenya and all four pieces you are immune to fire! Rarely dropped by Nazgul and Witch Kings.
- Each of the two "wearable" rings increase TOTAL mana by 50, so you can now have 300 mana AND double regeneration with all the Lothlorien gear and both rings.

roboto
GitHub: NewbProgrammer101
In-game: akoek

by roboto » Post

I got this error when trying to launch the game:

Code: Select all

2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "default_pine_wood.png" while building texture; Creating a dummy image
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "default_pine_wood.png" while building texture; Creating a dummy image
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'stamina' in callback on_joinplayer(): ...0/.minetest/games/Tolkien-Test/mods/hudbars/init.lua:265: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]:       ...0/.minetest/games/Tolkien-Test/mods/hudbars/init.lua:265: in function 'init_hudbar'
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]:       ...0/.minetest/games/Tolkien-Test/mods/stamina/init.lua:388: in function '?'
2018-09-05 19:17:02: ERROR[Main]:       /usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:419: in function </usr/local/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:399>

Nota

by Nota » Post

That's odd, maybe it's because of the update or something. Is this a new world? What version of the game?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I'll have to try this later. Nice work :)
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Nota

by Nota » Post

Thanks, I made a few more updates in the latest version, I'll update the file soon. Like Gimli's Axe (vorpal hits) etc!

werdanith
GitHub: werdanith
IRC: werdanith

by werdanith » Post

Hello, nice work on the game.
Since you planning to post an update I'd like to point out a few issues I came across.
For one, growing mushrooms crashed my server a few times. I was able to narrow it down to the global variable num in the mushroom code having the same name but a different type with a num variable in the butterfly code. I fixed it by making the butterfly variable local.
Also, I could get the game to crash consistently by throwing axes at spiders and spamming the balrog whip. I didn't look into the cause of those.
Thank you for your effort.

Nota

by Nota » Post

Hey, I discovered the same issue about mushrooms... just not using them at the moment. I can change the variable name I guess!

The Balrog Whip crashes the game anyway and has been "removed" (just doesn't drop anywhere) for the time being.

If you're interested in helping on another bug, when you fire the wizard staff down on to a node directly at your feet in front of you, it removed that node. I'd like to prevent this behavior but can't figure out the best way. I started a separate thread on it but never got it solved.

werdanith

by werdanith » Post

Keeping in mind that I'm very new to the codebase and API of minetest, and without looking at the code at all I tried reproducing the issue and this is what I see.
The creation of fire automatically replaces the block that it spawns on. The fire making code probably needs a check, and create the fire only on blocks that are air or water or similar. Also, the reason it's problematic when facing straight down is probably related to the wonky collision detection. The bolt probably skips the block the player is standing on entirely and hits the one bellow, and by extension destroys the above block. Using the bolt on a cave wall skips the face of the wall entirely and burns a hole inside it.

Also on an unrelated issue, again without having looked at the codebase, I noticed the problem with food depleting quickly when I started the game and died a lot of times in a row, while not having the problem with the server running for days without anyone dying. My hunch was that the modifier of the food depletion function gets compounded whenever you die, making the problem worse.

Nota

by Nota » Post

- Fixed the mushroom vars by just adding numbers to the end of "num". Seems to have worked.

- I like the fire setting nodes "on fire" without actually destroying anything. Like the elf bow, wizard staff. Here's the code in question, I think?

if self.lastpos.x ~= nil then
         if node.name ~= "air" and node.name ~= "lottthrowing:light" then
            minetest.set_node(self.lastpos, {name=firetype})
            self.object:remove()
         end

if math.floor(self.lastpos.x+0.5) ~= math.floor(pos.x+0.5)
         or math.floor(self.lastpos.y+0.5) ~= math.floor(pos.y+0.5)
         or math.floor(self.lastpos.z+0.5) ~= math.floor(pos.z+0.5)
         then

if minetest.get_node(self.lastpos).name == "lottthrowing:light" then
               minetest.remove_node(self.lastpos)
            end

if minetest.get_node(pos).name == "air" then
               minetest.set_node(pos, {name="lottthrowing:light"})
            end

end
      end
There's probably a couple different ways of fixing the issue. All other instances of firing the bolts/arrows works great!

- The food issue is also known, and I fix it by restarting the server a couple times a day. Upon starting the server, it works great. Then gradually it gets worse and worse after a few hours. It feels like a "drift" in time or speed of depletion. No idea why. I don't think it's linked to player deaths, but it could be.

- I just posted the new version, available for download.

werdanith

by werdanith » Post

The staff and the bow behave differently because the code that generates the starting position of the bolt is different. If you change the appropriate line for the staff to this

local obj = minetest.env:add_entity({x=playerpos.x,y=playerpos.y+1.5,z=playerpos.z}, "lottother:white")
then the staff behaves exactly like the bow.
By the way this doesn't solve the problem because both the staff and the bow can still destroy blocks. Try standing right next to a wall and shooting at it with the bow.
I'll look into the fire generation code now.

Nota

by Nota » Post

Let me know if you need help finding stuff, it's all over and scattered everywhere. I added lots of comments where I edited a ton of stuff, but most of it is inherited from oldish version of LOTT.

There is some code I added/edited that adds an "activation" timer for the bolts. I added it because they were hitting the player, especially if firing downwards.

werdanith

by werdanith » Post

As a quick fix, by adding a check like this

if self.lastpos.x~=nil then
			if node.name ~= "air" and node.name ~= "lottthrowing:light" then
				if minetest.get_node(self.lastpos).name == "air" or minetest.get_node(self.lastpos).name == "lottthrowing:light" then
					minetest.set_node(self.lastpos, {name=firetype}) end
				self.object:remove()
			end
for the bow and staff projectile, they no longer destroy any blocks. If they would they produce no flame.
On the other hand I see now the problem with the staff hitting the player when they are aiming straight down. Obviously something else is different between the bow and staff

werdanith

by werdanith » Post

I see that the timer for the arrow is 0.2 while for the staff it is 0.1.
I changed the staff to 0.2 and I'm no longer hitting myself with my position fix.
Also, I saw the message, but I can't reply yet, due to joining recently. No problem with coming if you have something else to test, but obviously it's easier for me to debug something when I can access the code running.
Edit: Also, please do change my code if my approach isn't the best. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nota

by Nota » Post

Good idea, I should have thought of that. I'll make the changes to my side.
That was probably the biggest issue facing me!

Edit: I remembered why the staff was .1, it moves faster than other weapons like glamdring!