I am looking for a host for an AOE style faction server

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

I am looking for a host for an AOE style faction server

by Diamond knight » Post

Hello, I have a proposal for an interesting server that has not been done to this extent before. I have an idea for an age of empires style server where players make their own communities, unlock crafts using a "tech research" mod like this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14222, and make their own rules and enforce them with player made jails.

I am currenly preparing a subgame for this server, one where progression is slower then in default similar to realtest, with many weapons and armors that all stay true to the realistic age of empires feel. Players will start by randomly spawning in a harsh world full of mob predators and practically no rules (though minimal rules such as no hacking etc will be in play). They will soon find that surviving alone against the greifers and the wild animals will be difficult, and a few players may decide to build an earthen hut viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15531 together and rise out of the stone age and into the neolithic age of farming. That small two player settlement may expand as another cold hungry player wants to stay in the hut, and that hut may eventually expand into a village. Eventually city states and a few small empires will spring up, conquering their neighbors and expanding their territory. A new greifer may log on and attempt to greif the city but be stopped by a force of players and put in a jail. As a temporary deathban is going to be in play, a fear for one's ingame life will mean they will not just be able to shrug off the player made rules, and will have to take them seriously, either obeying them or resisting with a band of likeminded players or staying stealthy like an assasin in the night. Many empires will rise and fall, and legacies will be born and wiped out of history.

Some players will know why I am doing this, as I recently played on a server with a similar promise, although less interesting and more default gameplay. The admin changed the rules midgame to dissalow reasonless pvp, which effectively killed the aspect of semianarchy and players making the rules. His server caters to a different audience now and I have decided to finnaly work on developing the ultimate minetest pvp server that I have been holding off on for a while.

Planned differences from default minetest:
-longer dig times and common blocks only having a percent chance to break when dug, to provide a lightweight way to prevent the server from being swiss cheese while still retaining the threat of greifers that unites likeminded survivors and ensure that progress is slower with more immersion similar to realtest (eg. no going from stone tools to having full suits of diamond in a single day)
-more realism and realtest inspired elements
-realtest inspired oregen, making mining less of randomly spread ores, player traderoutes, and more "strategic city locations" located in a metal rich feild, will be expanded upon too with stuff like stone types (want granite and you do not live near a deposit? better get either your sword or your merchant cart ready, your choice)
-Local chat
-An ingame guide, so players are not confused on the complexity of the server and ragequit
-Temporary deathbans (may be a few hours to a day, could possibly add in randomization
-Custom base skins, [possible]or maybe even random base skins[possible]
-Craftable clothing (start out with just adam and eve style olive leaf clothing and work your way up to walking around in grand tyrian purple robes)
-[possible]Possible random genetics, you may not be able to choose your genetics, but you must make good use of what advantages and disadvantages you have, making players have to work together and be strategic (not as fast as other players, but higher jumping or more health when 5.0 comes out)[possible]
-Aging, you will start out as a young adult, but over time you will get older and slower, but take heart, as you could go on a quest for the (ungreifable) fountain of youth(I know it is not realistic but it will make the server more interesting if an indestructable fountain of youth could be competed over by players)
-slower progression and "research quests" to discover new technologies and crafts viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14222
-may add in a way for players to share "technologies" and even sell them if I can find how too
-possibly a system where players can submit pull requests to "invent" new custom (they still have to be balanced or the PR will not be accepted) items and weapons
-Possibly a system where when you die you get a new playername, skin, and genetics (eg. a soft non-ip ban) to create the interesting effect of permadeath (eg. assasinating the enemy king, or naming a heir, or bodygaurds), without actually permbanning players for dying
-Exploiting bugs may be allowed as long as they are not too gamebreaking, what is considered allowed and not will be decided later, cheating would kind of be a little like "the dark side" in a way, where it would get you power but is liable to get you arreted ingame in a city that does not allow cheating
-much more

The rules are intended to be minimal:
-no hacking
-no doing anything illeagal (what I mean is not breaking ingame player made rules but breaking irl ones like doxxing and such)
-no alts
-more to be decided before server goes up

Even if you are not a server host, I could still use help modding the subgame, even if you do not want to join my modding team pull requests are still welcomed

migifg2003
In-game: migfig2003

Re: I am looking for a host for an AOE style faction server

by migifg2003 » Post

If you do manage to find a host I could help you with building. I hope you do find one because this is an awesome server idea.

Diamond knight

by Diamond knight » Post

Thanks, though since this section of the forums is kind of dead finding a host will be the real trick, though I am glad somebody found this thread in the depths of the dead threads.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Diamond knight wrote:Thanks, though since this section of the forums is kind of dead finding a host will be the real trick, though I am glad somebody found this thread in the depths of the dead threads.
Don't worry, ive found all your other threads about this topic before, so they can't be THAT hard to find :P. I myself am very interested in this style of a faction server (especially the part about "soft" bans) and would love to see this idea up-and-running someday.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Coder12

by Coder12 » Post

Diamond knight has some good ideas.

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

I'm interested in playing this add-on too.
Is there any minimal playable version for LAN?

Diamond knight

by Diamond knight » Post

Not currently, as I thought this server idea was dead when it was ignored for months by the forums, but I plan to reboot the project. If anyone wants to help I have a modding team discord.

https://discord.gg/FDjC2ah

piesquared
GitHub: piecubed
IRC: piesquared
In-game: piesquared Matthias

by piesquared » Post

I’ll host.

I’m piesquared btw. I can’t change my username...

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

piesquared wrote:I’m piesquared btw. I can’t change my username
done
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Xudo

by Xudo » Post

Diamond knight wrote:Not currently, as I thought this server idea was dead when it was ignored for months by the forums, but I plan to reboot the project. If anyone wants to help I have a modding team discord.

https://discord.gg/FDjC2ah
Have you made github repository?

Diamond knight

by Diamond knight » Post

not yet, as it is easier to tinker and add new mods from other modpacks on my computer itself, but I have a repository for my aging+ mod I think that I need finished

How does one upload a subgame/mod to GitHub without having to zip it though, one of the reasons I cannot transfer it over

Xudo

by Xudo » Post

Diamond knight wrote:How does one upload a subgame/mod to GitHub without having to zip it though, one of the reasons I cannot transfer it over
You need to:
1) Install git itself (from git-scm.com)
2) Initialize local repository in directory of thr mod
3) Set url for remote repository
4) Commit files
5) Push changes