[Server] Capture the Flag Server

Waterbug
IRC: Waterbug
In-game: Waterbug Treeman

Re: [Server] Capture the Flag Server (Guns!) - Multiple maps

by Waterbug » Post

Can anyone beat this?

(Screenshot from over two years ago).
Last edited by Waterbug on Sun Nov 25, 2018 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

There was a hacker called Arctic_Fox who's hacks were much worse than geesh's hacks.

Guess what...

"We killed him with a grenade, and then we did a hate crime in the woods."

Esskeetit
IRC: Esskeetit
In-game: Esskeetit Rio

by Esskeetit » Post

Waterbug wrote:Image

Can anyone beat this?

(Screenshot from over two years ago).
Wow incredible. I can never imagine having all of those goodies. Though there was a time when I had 4 grenades
Attachments
screenshot_20180928_193000.png
screenshot_20180928_193000.png (481.59 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Esskeeetitttttt

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

There's a new bug where you cant put any items into the fuel slot of a furnace. Also any chance that players could drop the rifles from their starter-kit on the ice-age map? Because ammo isn't renewable and there's only so much of it, this would mean in a longer match players would have to suicide to get new rifles with ammunition.

*EDIT: Btw there is someone under the name "Stix1" impersonating me, please look into it.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

by ANAND » Post

Stix wrote:There's a new bug where you cant put any items into the fuel slot of a furnace.
Thanks for reporting. An issue has been filed here: https://github.com/MT-CTF/capturetheflag/issues/269
Stix wrote:Also any chance that players could drop the rifles from their starter-kit on the ice-age map? Because ammo isn't renewable and there's only so much of it, this would mean in a longer match players would have to suicide to get new rifles with ammunition.
The rifle was intended to be used as much as the ammo would allow, but I see what you mean. I could also add 3 ammo-packs alongside the rifle...
Stix wrote:*EDIT: Btw there is someone under the name "Stix1" impersonating me, please look into it.
Noted.
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Stix

by Stix » Post

I saw the new vote-kick PR a few days ago, and thought that if it isn't already the case to disallow vote-kicking players with a certain priv (aka staff members) before chaos ensues :P. Also i think everyone who has the vote_kick priv should also be able to start a vote to remove that priv from another player if they have become abusive and no staff members are online.

Stix

by Stix » Post

I have an idea that pertains to the great apple controversey: what about on a select few maps apples are still present in trees and a stack of apples are part of the starters kit (alongside a steel sword and pick) so that players who like apple spamming can still do so but in a fair scenario, where everyone has apples and a sword?

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Instead of removing apples completely, you could reduce the speed at which players can eat the apples. That way, the people who like apples can keep them, and players who don't are satisfied, and stop complaining about them.
What is SCP-055?

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Stix wrote:I have an idea that pertains to the great apple controversey: what about on a select few maps apples are still present in trees and a stack of apples are part of the starters kit (alongside a steel sword and pick) so that players who like apple spamming can still do so but in a fair scenario, where everyone has apples and a sword?
This idea would satisfy me. Keeping apples available on some maps is only ever what I have advocated for.

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

There is a pull request about healing in CTF. It removes healing property from apples and adds medkits.
Medkits will restore health gradually over time and can be interrupted by damage.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The point of medkits is to limit the healing power and make healing hacks useless. This could be done by changing how apples work instead of medkits. The difference between them is only really where they are found
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:The point of medkits is to limit the healing power and make healing hacks useless. This could be done by changing how apples work instead of medkits. The difference between them is only really where they are found
While I agree with this point, I don't understand why you are writing it here, instead of PR in your own repository.
It was hanging there for about a month, constanly updating.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Xudo wrote:There is a pull request about healing in CTF. It removes healing property from apples and adds medkits.
Medkits will restore health gradually over time and can be interrupted by damage.
I know, my comment was about keeping some maps with apples after medkits are merged.

DELTA_FORCE
IRC: DELTA_FORCE
In-game: DELTA_FORCE

by DELTA_FORCE » Post

I can have all of that stuff in a few minutes. It's called photoshop :P
check me out nowhere because i never do anything

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

This could be handy:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20954
What is SCP-055?

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Chem871 wrote:This could be handy:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20954
Thanks for the suggestion, but development of the new healing mechanism is already over, and it's a tad more sophisticated than Slow Eater's implementation.

What remains is to decide whether apples themselves would have this healing mechanism, or would they have to be replaced by medkits altogether...

If interested, you can follow the discussion here: https://github.com/MT-CTF/capturetheflag/pull/203
My Mods

Stix

by Stix » Post

ANAND wrote:
Chem871 wrote:This could be handy:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20954
Thanks for the suggestion, but development of the new healing mechanism is already over, and it's a tad more sophisticated than Slow Eater's implementation.

What remains is to decide whether apples themselves would have this healing mechanism, or would they have to be replaced by medkits altogether...

If interested, you can follow the discussion here: https://github.com/MT-CTF/capturetheflag/pull/203
Id say merge medkits as-is and for a for a few select maps keep apples and have a stack of it in the starter kit alongside a steel sword and pick. If necessary this could be changed but because healing is so unbalanced right-now i feel this should be merged ASAP.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Stix wrote:Id say merge medkits as-is and for a for a few select maps keep apples and have a stack of it in the starter kit alongside a steel sword and pick. If necessary this could be changed but because healing is so unbalanced right-now i feel this should be merged ASAP.
Stix, the whole point of the new healing mechanism is to make healing more realistic, and most importantly, "hacker-proof". The one-click-to-immediately-gain-a-heart system is the one being replaced here. The only options we have is to use this new healing system with apples itself, or completely replace apples with a new item (medkits).
My Mods

Stix

by Stix » Post

ANAND wrote:
Stix wrote:Id say merge medkits as-is and for a for a few select maps keep apples and have a stack of it in the starter kit alongside a steel sword and pick. If necessary this could be changed but because healing is so unbalanced right-now i feel this should be merged ASAP.
Stix, the whole point of the new healing mechanism is to make healing more realistic, and most importantly, "hacker-proof". The one-click-to-immediately-gain-a-heart system is the one being replaced here. The only options we have is to use this new healing system with apples itself, or completely replace apples with a new item (medkits).
It was an idea to please both sides by keeping some maps with apples, but if i had to pick what item to apply thew new properties too, id pick the medkits. Using apples for that would feel to weird imo (maybe someone should start a poll...).

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

Would it not be simple to just keep the healing properties of medkits the same as apples with the exception that you can't use them in fights or if you have been damaged in the last few seconds?

Waterbug

by Waterbug » Post

DELTA_FORCE wrote:I can have all of that stuff in a few minutes. It's called photoshop :P
It was a genuine screenshot.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Apples should be for between fights, not during them.
What is SCP-055?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Chem871 wrote:Apples should be for between fights, not during them.
I agree
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

A poll is being suggested by a number of people... I too think a poll would be quite useful in gathering public opinion.
Chem871 wrote:Apples should be for between fights, not during them.
Yes, correct. And hence the new (and arguably more realistic) gradual healing system.

If a player engages in PvP (hits an enemy, or gets hit by an enemy) while healing, the healing is considered to be interrupted, the player will get the used medkit back, and their original health will be restored.
My Mods

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

ANAND wrote:If a player engages in PvP (hits an enemy, or gets hit by an enemy) while healing, the healing is considered to be interrupted, the player will get the used medkit back, and their original health will be restored.
I think the "original health will be restored" part would be overly complicated for players. I'd go with interrupting the healing (but allowing the player to retain whatever healing they've done so far) and not giving back the item. There is still a cost to the player in that they lose the item and don't get the full healing capacity but they won't get confused when they have almost full health and then get killed in one hit or they don't know where all their health went or how the item got back in their inventory. This would also simplify the code, as it would be as simple as increasing the health until a timeout expires or the player hits someone or gets hit.

Other features I might also include would be to prevent the healing item from working (or make it unusable, which is probably simpler to code) if the player has hit someone in the last X seconds, or to require the player to be stationary or limit their movement speed.