[mod] Bike for Minetest [1.1.1] [bike]

gpcf

In-game: gabriel

Re: [mod] Bike for Minetest [1.1.1] [bike]

by gpcf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 17:32

Also, we need some tools to break open the locks, that might send you to jail if you get caught (with some random chance component).

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 18:02

voxelproof wrote:what about improving physics of the bike movement i.e. adding gravitational acceleration/deceleration?

When I saw the code last time, i got the impression that GreenDimond has already implemented such feature. I'll look again and see what I can do.

GreenDimond wrote:Next on my todo list is bike racks/locks if Hume isn't already working on it.
After I do that I will mess around with the physics and see what I can do.

I thought, I'll work on this after I test the bikes a little and have some time. However, if you are willing to do that, you are welcome.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Tue Sep 11, 2018 19:37

Hume2 wrote:
voxelproof wrote:what about improving physics of the bike movement i.e. adding gravitational acceleration/deceleration?

When I saw the code last time, i got the impression that GreenDimond has already implemented such feature. I'll look again and see what I can do.

The only thing I added physics-wise was sudden-stop detection. Which includes step-up detection to avoid glitches, but none of this is related to the physics stuff voxel wants.

GreenDimond wrote:Next on my todo list is bike racks/locks if Hume isn't already working on it.

I thought, I'll work on this after I test the bikes a little and have some time. However, if you are willing to do that, you are welcome.

By all means, go ahead! (its your mod :P)
My ideas were: Bike rack is a singular node that can hold one bike. So you can put a few together to make a bigger rack. Bikes placed on a rack would only be able to be taken by the placer. However, there are some interaction problems (ownership, who can dig what, public racks) that I havent solved yet.
Y▹uTube | Mods | Patre●n | Twitter | Minetest Discord | GreenDimond#3232

Hey, you. You're finally awake.
You were trying to view their profile, right? Found the rest of their signature, same as us, and that guest over there.

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 22:42

GreenDimond wrote:
Hume2 wrote:

The only thing I added physics-wise was sudden-stop detection. Which includes step-up detection to avoid glitches, but none of this is related to the physics stuff voxel wants.

By all means, go ahead! (its your mod :P)
My ideas were: Bike rack is a singular node that can hold one bike. So you can put a few together to make a bigger rack. Bikes placed on a rack would only be able to be taken by the placer. However, there are some interaction problems (ownership, who can dig what, public racks) that I havent solved yet.

Do the racks like chests, locked and regular

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Wed Sep 12, 2018 03:57

GreenDimond wrote:
Hume2 wrote:

I've worked out a simple pseudo-code for skis. I think it may work also for bikes. The idea is not to make it a very realistic model of physics neither modelling the surfaces' curvature, but by simple trick simulating the behaviour of the object so that it would resemble real features of movement -- just checking whether the player's character decreased it's y coordinate and then adding about 5% to the current velocity (it should be tweaked so that the speed increases slightly in spite of friction).
Game is the essence of life; therefore every good game makes life better.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Mon Sep 17, 2018 19:14

I've checked out the newest version. Well done :) Bike goes smoothly, it's nicely steerable, the game doesn't crash anymore. And I think that adding gravitational acceleration, however it would make the play harder and maybe more funny, isn't so important when a player can switch into auto-key "W". Thanks a lot, excellent mod, my favourite :)

EDIT: and most importantly, now the bike can be picked up from the bottom of a stream :D

Attachments
bike.jpg
(62.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Game is the essence of life; therefore every good game makes life better.

maxx

GitHub: maxxmodding
In-game: maxx or MrNobody

by maxx » Sun Nov 18, 2018 19:02

What about an extension?
Roadbikes run faster on ground like stone but not that fast on dirt.
Mountainbikes run faster on dirt, gravel and sand but are slower on stone.
visit https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19743 to get more information about trainblocks

neoh4x0r

GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Mon Nov 19, 2018 19:08

GreenDimond wrote:The latest update now includes a "bike painter" tool.
This allows you to choose any of 4.2 billion colors to paint your bikes :D

Actually the alpha value is the opacity of the color (how transparent or opaque the color is).
There are actually only 17 million possible color combinations (RGB).

Lord_Vlad

Gibeinumo

GitHub: LibraSubtilis

by Gibeinumo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 18:58

I really like the bike and made textures to make it fit to my texture pack. I noticed that you don't use "bike_" as a prefix for all textures of this mod. I created a merge request with changed names on gitlab.

rgspro

by rgspro » Fri Dec 14, 2018 01:55

Love this Mod! However, I tried the unstable version with the painter option and get the following errors,

2018-12-13 15:41:19: INFO[Main]: Irrlicht: Loaded mesh: bike.b3d
2018-12-13 15:41:19: ERROR[Main]: Invalid color: ""
2018-12-13 15:41:19: ERROR[Main]: generateImage(): Failed to generate "[colorize::"
2018-12-13 15:41:19: INFO[Main]: GenericCAO: Got init data
2018-12-13 15:41:19: INFO[Main]: ClientEnvironment::addActiveObject(): added (id=176)

These errors only happen when the Bike mod is used with Dreambuilder Mod. I have tried to narrow down the conflicting mod in Dreambuilder but have not found it yet. The only errors in the debug file are above. The Bike mod does work great as long as Dreambuilder is not active. The form for the paint tool opens and the sliders move but the values do not change. The stable Bike mod works great with Dreambuilder active.

My question is has anyone else run into this and what did anyone find to correct it?

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 04:10

I've seen this mod in action on the Gallifrey server. The mod works very nice, and the bike has a very good animation. Well done!
A list of my mods can be found here.

AleksSyntek

IRC: Aleks
In-game: Aleks

by AleksSyntek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 02:14

Yeah! Now I can do a bicycle race! (viewtopic.php?p=311476#p311476)

Thanks Hume2, GreenDimond an gpcf for this mod!!!
Crash happens.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases