Mese Wires (expanded)

prof
GitHub: prof
IRC: prof
In-game: prof

Mese Wires (expanded)

by prof » Post

Mese Wires (expanded)

I have a couple of comments about Mese Wires which I'd like to contribute.

1) Vertical Wires

In use, it seems that Vertical Wires is missing a certain capability -- circuit conductivity on top/bottom surfaces.

Currently a vertical wire must extend a 1/16th up into a new block (matching connections to any surface wire). Is there any reason it cannot be made to also conduct on the top/bottom surface plates as a real wire would? No.

Actually there is one reason and that's the Mese developers made their Mese blocks only conductive in the X and Z directions and failed to include what should have been natural, the Y directions. Correction of this omission would make significant improvements to common circuitry was one wouldn't need to place a Mese block next to the top/bottom plates of a Vertical Wire (as they are forced today) but would also have the options of simply placing a Mese block above and below those plates.

Of course, this encourages the modification of Mese Vertical Wires to include occupying a single block (rather than a 2-block minimum as it is today). What I mean by that, is that the top/bottom plates might also occupy the same block. The only difference would be that wire connections must include adjacency for the +1 or -1 block in X or Z directions -- alleviating the need to have the top plate extend into another block.

2) Mese Wires

My 2nd comment about Mese Wires is that I'd support the capability of "crafting" any block to become conductive. Perhaps adding a green dot to represent it conducts.

In other words, one doesn't need additional wire surfaces to build circuits inside buildings or other objects.

An example I've used is that I like to build aircraft. It would be highly convenient if certain blocks of the aircraft hull were also conductive wires to control lights or other features. I wouldn't have to destroy the aesthetics of wing-tip blinking lights on a wing only 1-block thick as the wing blocks might also include conductive blocks of the same color as those of the rest of the wing.

I'm sure "conductive" is simply an attribute added to certain blocks. Simply turning on this attribute for more generic blocks (and the addition of your identifying green dot) might be all that was necessary to make the modifications for this functionality. It should be relatively easy.

3) Ghost Blocks

In a similar vein to the above (Mese Wires), I think a Ghost Block should be "craftable" to any standard block. Perhaps using a similar block identification system as mentioned above (a dot on block surfaces).

Why have a Ghost Block having only a color no one would want to paint their bulidings or doorways. Why not allow the user to craft the appearance to any block he wishes (only to real blocks and not objects such as furniture, plates, etc).

Such a capability would make using Ghost Blocks and it's use blend in more to a player's build and designs.

The changes shouldn't be much more than those of Mese Wire mentioned above.

--prof

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: Mese Wires (expanded)

by Napiophelios » Post

This is specific to the mesecons?
Seems like you should post this in the Mesecon mod's forum thread
or maybe create an issue/pull request in the mesecon mod's Git repo

prof
GitHub: prof
IRC: prof
In-game: prof

by prof » Post

Sure, you're right. TKS

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

prof wrote:My 2nd comment about Mese Wires is that I'd support the capability of "crafting" any block to become conductive. Perhaps adding a green dot to represent it conducts.
This is covered in my Streetlights API.

While focused on streetlights you can add nodes to be conductive vertically.

viewtopic.php?t=20146

You want to use a "hidden pole" as described in the API documentation.

https://gitlab.com/4w/streetlights/tree ... ter-a-pole