Should the plants on the development version be renewable?

Should maram grass and kelp be renewable?

Yes, they should be renewable
100%
No, they should not be renewable
No votes

Total votes: 11

BlueTangs Rock

Should the plants on the development version be renewable?

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Accoording to the Official MineTest Wiki, two of the plants in development version; the maram grass, and kelp are both non-renewable at the current moment.

I would like to see them become renewable in some way or another, as it would make it easier to do survival mode builds with them, as you wouldn't have to go to a new location to find more of the plants you need for a project, as you can grow them where you are.

Also, since just about all other plants in Default MineTest are renewable, such as the dirt with grass blocks, grass, ferns, flowers, dry shrubs, mushrooms, crops, bushes, trees, papyrus, cactus, and mossy cobblestone, so making maram grass and kelp renewable would also add consistency.

What do you guys think, I would like to know.
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: Should the plants on the development version be renewabl

by paramat » Post

Good point, are you able to open an issue in MTGame on GitHub?

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

paramat wrote:Good point, are you able to open an issue in MTGame on GitHub?
I should, I believe that I have a GitHub account, and I probably have the password lying around somewhere.
I should attempt to make a poll on MTGame GitHub in a few hours. :)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Actually i remembered that marram grass isn't renewable in the normal way for a reason, the pattern it appears in is carefully coded to create sandy paths through it, normal ABM spreading would destroy that.
Kelp is also intentionally patchy, and neither are resources so renewability isn't as high a priority.

Of course, almost all flora is patchy and distributed carefully using noise, the standard spreading ABM acts to destroy that distribution. So i consider the standard spreading mechanic inherently broken and should not be applied to any new flora.

So i disagree with the conventional ABM spreading, but an alternative way to produce more is ok.
So this poll may be difficult to assess as the renewing method isn't specified.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

paramat wrote:Actually i remembered that marram grass isn't renewable in the normal way for a reason, the pattern it appears in is carefully coded to create sandy paths through it, normal ABM spreading would destroy that.
Kelp is also intentionally patchy, and neither are resources so renewability isn't as high a priority.

Of course, almost all flora is patchy and distributed carefully using noise, the standard spreading ABM acts to destroy that distribution. So i consider the standard spreading mechanic inherently broken and should not be applied to any new flora.

So i disagree with the conventional ABM spreading, but an alternative way to produce more is ok.
So this poll may be difficult to assess as the renewing method isn't specified.
Ah, ok. So something other than ABM spreading could work to allow them to a renewable then. Like maram grass having their own seeds, as well as prehaps kelp sometimes dropping multiple of itself to make more kelp, like a cactus does.