building a game from scratch - Sol Aureus

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

Re: building a game from scratch - Sol Aureus

by v-rob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 22:57

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Birch aren't swamp trees I think. I know I'm pesky.

Well, they might be aspens (although those aren't swamp trees either), but hey, it looks nice.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Sat Jun 09, 2018 08:28

in germany, birches can grow anywhere, even swamps :P
v-rob wrote:Well, they might be aspens (although those aren't swamp trees either), but hey, it looks nice.

yes, they are aspens, because the wood colour was too dark for birches. (but they were actually birch textures in minecrap)

aspens grow in cold humid areas which are usually coniferous.
i called neptune the swamp biome because it has mossy grass. it's placed between mercury (glacier) and jupiter (jungle).
cool and humid is good blend for those two, and it's the climate where aspens grow =(^.^)=
building inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15550 --- my game: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15860 --- =(^.^)= nyan~

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

firefox

by firefox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 18:23

i'm not dead yet, just lazy :P

i reset the trees mod back to 0, because copying the default trees was not what i wanted and in the end it means even more work to use them and change them later. so if i'm working on the new trees mod, it will be my own tree models from the beginning.
for now i'm working on lots of improvements to the biome map.
building inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15550 --- my game: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15860 --- =(^.^)= nyan~

firefox

by firefox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 18:26

it's done! the biome map finally works as intended.
i switched from the square grid pattern to a diamond cross pattern. the biome distribution is now much better and the "mismatching beach glitch" is also fixed.
height limit and filler depth have been adjusted for smoother borders between biomes and altitude variants.
the colours of stone across the biome map is now aligned like a gradient. ice only appears adjancent to grey stone, red stone only near yellow stone, brown stone is in between yellow and grey stone.
everything looks just gorgeous =(^.^)=

Attachments
ice.png
(788.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet

wziard

by wziard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 09:18

But they are (?). Where I live the swampy areas are covered with a mixture of birch, willow and alder (closely related to birch) trees.

migdyn

GitHub: migdyn
In-game: migdyn

by migdyn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 19:53

Nice! I had a similar idea.
"How can I get my Winmodem to work?"

firefox

by firefox » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:23

i should be working on tree models, but i'm too lazy.
now i have to work on a server town project.
i promise to get back to work when minetest 5.0 releases.

firefox

by firefox » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52

not only did i not make any progress with trees, i also realized that i messed up the biome map. important ideas for a unique experience, like the glass desert or luminous swamp water, were left out and i ended up with a slightly modified set of the standard biomes.
focusing too much on simple and clean design, i created a boring remake instead of a new original world.

so i started over again, but this time i will focus on making the game playable first and add content afterwards.
the new plan for the biome map still has some holes, but i will fill them eventually.
i also changed the name to Almagest.

still keeping the focus on alchemy, i want to add a lot more node interactions based on heat and moisture, so that instead of using furnaces and autocrafters, the player can construct full functional large scale alchemic transmutation devices.

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:16

so i started over again, but this time i will focus on making the game playable first and add content afterwards.

This is, I suspect, the fate of many game makers! Myself included. Core gameplay has ”core” in it for a reason. Good luck! :)

ShadMOrdre

GitHub: ShadMOrdre
In-game: shadmordre

by ShadMOrdre » Wed Jul 10, 2019 18:39

Firefox,

Please look at my lib_materials and lib_ecology mods. You'll find biomes, and plenty of tree schematics, as well as node defs for those trees and plenty of plants and other things that could make this easier for you.

Shad
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

Previous

Return to Game Discussion