Load Bigger Chunks

pedroccrp

GitHub: pedroccrp
In-game: pedro

Load Bigger Chunks

by pedroccrp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 14:30

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of some way to load larger portions of the map automatically. I already saw many posts about this topic but any of hem worked for me.

I tried to change the minetest.conf with this code:
Code: Select all
max_block_send_distance = 100
max_block_generate_distance = 100
active_object_send_range_blocks = 10
max_simultaneous_block_sends_per_client = 40

but it didn't work. It seems that the game limits the loading, since I could load less than the default but not more.

Thanks for the help!

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly Ginkgoo

Re: Load Bigger Chunks

by Gael de Sailly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 15:23

Have you tried increasing the viewing range? It determines the distance at which you see.
viewing_range = 200
or press + or - in-game.
It's a client-side setting.

pedroccrp wrote:I tried to change the minetest.conf with this code:

These 3 parameters are the upper limits of the number of mapblocks generated and sent to the client, but if the player's viewing range is small it won't go that far.

Also, keep in mind that the parameters you used are in number of mapblocks (16 nodes) contrary to viewing_range which is in nodes, so you have actually set the max_block_generate_distance to 1600 nodes away which is way too big. I have no idea about how it behaves with such high values, keep reasonable ones (not more than 10-15 mapblocks).

The max_simultaneous_block_sends_per_client is some technical stuff about how the blocks are transferred to the client, it shouldn't affect the loading distance.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 19:25

pedroccrp wrote:It seems that the game limits the loading, since I could load less than the default but not more.

After testing this out a dozen times I just accepted it because despite the manual and all the forum posts about that it seems like Minetest has an hard-coded internal limit.

craftblox

GitHub: bloxrcode

by craftblox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 20:40

Make sure full rendering is enabled by pressing the 'R' button on your keyboard.
Also, make sure your range is turned up (Turn up with the '+' key and down with the '-' key)

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 22:48

craftblox wrote:Make sure full rendering is enabled by pressing the 'R' button on your keyboard.
Also, make sure your range is turned up (Turn up with the '+' key and down with the '-' key)

Also read through this.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19888

I had the exact same question some time ago and tried getting 1024 nodes rendering distance. Did not work.

sorcerykid

GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Sun Dec 09, 2018 00:10

By loading bigger chunks, do you mean sending to client, or caching on the server? If the latter, then I believe this can be accomplished quite easily with either VoxelManip():read_from_map or minetest.emerge_area which (the latter is asynchronous).

pedroccrp

GitHub: pedroccrp
In-game: pedro

by pedroccrp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 00:26

Gael de Sailly wrote:Have you tried increasing the viewing range? It determines the distance at which you see.
viewing_range = 200
or press + or - in-game.
It's a client-side setting.

pedroccrp wrote:I tried to change the minetest.conf with this code:

These 3 parameters are the upper limits of the number of mapblocks generated and sent to the client, but if the player's viewing range is small it won't go that far.

Also, keep in mind that the parameters you used are in number of mapblocks (16 nodes) contrary to viewing_range which is in nodes, so you have actually set the max_block_generate_distance to 1600 nodes away which is way too big. I have no idea about how it behaves with such high values, keep reasonable ones (not more than 10-15 mapblocks).

The max_simultaneous_block_sends_per_client is some technical stuff about how the blocks are transferred to the client, it shouldn't affect the loading distance.

Yeah, seems like it was as simple as using the + or - inside the game! Thanks for that, it was already driving me crazy :p

And thanks to everyone that replied too!

Return to General Discussion