[Server] The Testing Grounds (no longer active)

Piezo_
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

[Server] The Testing Grounds (no longer active)

by Piezo_ » Post

The Testing Grounds and its former IP address are no longer active. The server is now being hosted at a new location under the name TimeSent. The same world and mods are present.

Old server info:

If you've seen the mods I make and/or contribute to, you've probably heard me mention this old junk heap a couple of times.
That's right, I host a server, and I need beta-testers, moderators, and anyone else who wants to play! As the name implies, there are some experimental mods currently installed on this server, but I've made sure that they are all relatively stable beforehand, so don't worry too much about bugs.

Gameplay-wise, it's a small survival server, with enough mods to feel complete, and PVP enabled. Griefing is allowed, but we have a protection mod for people who want to keep their stuff safe.

Our mods folder is just around 40 MB, so the media download shouldn't be too slow.

Rules
I read the server logs at least once a day at an unspecified time. All actions, including chat, node interactions, commands, etc are logged.
Behave yourself.
  • Mild swearing is allowed, but any kind of illegal, hateful or obscene content is not. This is the only rule for which the penalty is an immediate, non-negotiable, permanent ban.
  • We have a protection mod, so don't whine about getting griefed. If it ain't nailed down, it's fair game.
  • Don't ask who the admins are (Except me, you already know that...), and don't pretend to be staff.
  • Don't encourage the use of non-libre software
  • Have fun!
Special/Complicated rules and non-rules
These are common rules on other servers that aren't hard-set rules here. To prevent confusion, I will list some specific ones.
  • Modified clients are allowed, so long as you can provide the source code if asked (If your modifications are a threat to the server/network's security, you may be asked to stop using that client. Failure to comply will result in a ban, as well as your IP being blacklisted in the server's firewall).
  • Building in the sky/underground is allowed. You are allowed in wherever wardzones lets you travel. If wardzones doesn't allow you to enter there, then you aren't allowed there, but you can't get there anyway, so don't worry, and don't bother.
Default Privs
interact, shout, home, zoom

Notable Mods
Source code for all of our mods can be found here.
  • Glowtest, because it's awesome.
  • Illumination, playeranim, wield_redo, and 3darmor, to spice up the playermodel a bit.
  • Mobs (of course)
  • Slimes!!
  • We have the G.O.A.T. (Spoiler alert: It's a goat.)
  • drops, because clicking items gets exhausting, fast.
  • farming_redo and mushrooms_redo, to vary up your diet!
  • Mese Portals and Hanggliders, for travelling in style!
  • Mesecons and hoppers, to give you engineering geniuses some basic automation.
  • Meshnode, for those daring explorers who want to boldly go where no Sam has gone before...
  • Mythology, a very early WIP mod that will eventually include bosses, OP weapons with unique quirks, and more!
  • Witchcraft! Nyeheheh!
  • Settlements, for players who are too edgy/socially awkward to make real friends!
  • Half of display_modpack and the other half of signs_lib. Don't ask.
  • other_worlds, which adds SPAAAAACE!!!
  • moretrees, and redtrees, because trees.
  • mpd, with different songs for day and night! (All music by Kevin MacLeod)
  • dfcaverns, because the bowels of the earth weren't epic enough by themselves.
  • character_creator with my own custom sprites, because I didn't like the other ones.
Tips and Tricks
  • Eggs will not hatch if you throw them. (You'd think this would be common sense) You have to place them and wait patiently.
  • The Soul Scythe is good for more than just counting the heads of players you've killed. It is also a proper scythe. It can harvest crops in a clean sweep, and it's indestructible!
  • You can actually drive a Meshnode ship through a Mese Portal. I've tried it, and it works.
  • Grass, cobble and fire are are all affected by rainfall. Keep this in mind when building!
  • To share a wardnode with all players, share it with '*'.
  • If you unshare your claim with yourself, you won't be able to build, but you can still re-add yourself as long as you're the claim's owner, so feel free to use this to test the protection.
  • Water generators do NOT work. Use a rain barrel or a well to get renewable water.
Last edited by Piezo_ on Sat May 04, 2019 23:22, edited 56 times in total.
while (true) { suffer(); }

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Server] The Madman's Test

by Stix » Post

Hold everything! Whats with the age requirement? How are players like me who are interested gonna beta-test if they cant join because they aren't that old? (in my case im 15).

*EDIT: btw if your wondering who i am you saw me on CTF as "ready_p2", which is one of my many alts (i'm the one who informed you on the old mushroom farming system in MT).
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

<EDIT>

Since the time of this reply, the age restriction has been lifted, and the rules have been adjusted.
To my knowledge, no offensive content was created before this change.
Any content that is not suitable for minors will result in a permanent ban of your account, your IP address, and all accounts that have connected from that IP address.

</EDIT>
Stix wrote:Hold everything! Whats with the age requirement? How are players like me who are interested gonna beta-test if they cant join because they aren't that old? (in my case im 15).
It was a precautionary measure (my policy has changed, and no unsuitable content was created (to my knowledge) in this time). I initially refused to censor content (with the exception of illegal content and promotion of nonfree software).
Stix wrote:*EDIT: btw if your wondering who i am you saw me on CTF as "ready_p2", which is one of my many alts (i'm the one who informed you on the old mushroom farming system in MT).
Hi! :D

Sorry, I'll have to think about whether to make my rules more strict, or to continue enforcing an age restriction.
Last edited by Piezo_ on Mon Dec 31, 2018 22:33, edited 10 times in total.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Hmm, i was under the impression that all one needed was to post a disclaimer that it was 18+, to not be held liable for anyone younger than that age-group. See this no rules server (with no censored chat) that i used to play on: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17901

*EDIT: also what do you mean by "encouraging use of proprietary software"? So if a couple people start talking about some old console or pc games they used to play and love (and lets face it they're probably proprietary like most great games), would they get banned?
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Piezo_ wrote:Are you good at breaking things?
Oh yes, I am.
Piezo_ wrote:Do you like to see "Attempted to index a nil value" as your world CRASHES AND BURNS?!
That's a quite boring error since it can mostly be fixed with a single if-statement in the mod code (or just by updating the mod). But burn and crash? I could help you with that. i.e. trying to find exploits, test, check how big it is, and patch it with the gained information about the issue.
Piezo_ wrote:Then you're EXACTLY the type of person I'm looking for!
Well, so what's the server address? Also 0.4.x would be preferred, otherwise I'd have to rebase my edited client to 5.0-dev.
Piezo_ wrote:Rules
I don't see it anywhere, so I wonder which kinds of cheating or abusing the server do you forbid? Surely, this announcement is about testing a server and with it, fixing the bugs in the code - so basic (one-time) crashes per bug are accepted, right?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Krock wrote: Oh yes, I am.
Great! PM me for the IP address!
Krock wrote:Do you like to see "Attempted to index a nil value" as your world CRASHES AND BURNS?!
That's a quite boring error since it can mostly be fixed with a single if-statement in the mod code (or just by updating the mod). But burn and crash? I could help you with that. i.e. trying to find exploits, test, check how big it is, and patch it with the gained information about the issue.
That was just an example. And yes, exploits, broken recipes, protection loopholes, and ways of making the server crash/etc. were what I was thinking of.
Krock wrote:Well, so what's the server address? Also 0.4.x would be preferred, otherwise I'd have to rebase my edited client to 5.0-dev.
4.17 server, currently. I won't use 5.* until it's stable. About the address: PM ME. I'm not publicly posting my IP address until the server has some mods (the moderation kind), and the mods (the lua kind) are somewhat stable.
Krock wrote: I don't see it anywhere, so I wonder which kinds of cheating or abusing the server do you forbid? Surely, this announcement is about testing a server and with it, fixing the bugs in the code - so basic (one-time) crashes per bug are accepted, right?
There are no rules about glitches/exploits, there will be once we're out of beta, and it will be something like "one-time, and report immediately".

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

Piezo_ wrote:Half of display_modpack and the other half of signs_lib. Don't ask.
why not :) ?
(actually I'm always very interrested to know what is missing in display_modpack)
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Pyrollo wrote: (actually I'm always very interrested to know what is missing in display_modpack)
Signs_lib had its dependency on basic_materials removed, and display_modpack had everything except large banners, ontime_clocks, steles, and the libraries needed for basic function removed. Both of them have had their "infotext" functionality stripped completely.

Several other mods have been "audited" by me to ensure compatibility, stability, security, etc.

That's why I may sometimes be grouchy with mod developers. I spend hours and hours forcing ugly hacks to coexist.

That's a huge part of why I made minetest_systemd.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Stix wrote:*EDIT: also what do you mean by "encouraging use of proprietary software"? So if a couple people start talking about some old console or pc games they used to play and love (and lets face it they're probably proprietary like most great games), would they get banned?
To quote the signs in our spawn area:

Code: Select all

4. Don't encourage the use of non-libre software.
Penalties:
1: Warning
(n>1): n days mute + shame box
The "Shame box" is a small wooden structure right next to the rules board that functions as a jail.
I may scrap this rule and replace it with one about glitches/exploits.
Last edited by Piezo_ on Mon Dec 17, 2018 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Sooo, i was there a few moments ago to check things out, looks interesting but there seems to be a heavy lag issue ongoing. i could not do anything, neither switch pages in inv nor issue a simple /status command :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Sooo, i was there a few moments ago to check things out, looks interesting but there seems to be a heavy lag issue ongoing. i could not do anything, neither switch pages in inv nor issue a simple /status command :(
The server is located in California, USA.
If you live particularly far away (such as in Switzerland), you would definitely see some lag.

Then again, I have a friend who is able to log in just fine from the Czech Republic, so I'm not sure...

Also, for listing players, you can use /players instead of /status. To ping the server, just run the same command you use to agree to the terms/disclaimer. /status still works it's just a jumbled mess in my opinion.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update
Several new or upcoming changes
  • Rule 1 has been updated. Hateful and obscene content are now forbidden.
  • The server is now looking for moderators. Once a decent-sized staff team has gathered, the age restriction will be lifted, and the IP address will be released publicly.
  • I have considered changing the name of the server to "MineFest".
  • Upon going public (and licensing/stability details being resolved), a notabug repository will be posted containing all of the mods used on the server.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update
  • The age restriction has been lifted, and Rule #1 has been modified.
  • The server IP will become public within a couple days, however, I ask that you not quote it in any replies, as I may choose to remove it in the (hopefully unlikely) event that I decide to stop hosting.
  • NEED MODERATORS!!

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

The IP is now public (Read the main post carefully again)

Still in need of moderators.

Piezo_

Re: [Server] The Testing Grounds

by Piezo_ » Post

Update
  • More mods and more character customization options!
  • The wardzones barrier preventing access to coordinates below -1200 has been broken! Go explore those crazy caverns!

catwhisperer77
IRC: catwhisperer777
In-game: catwhisperer77

by catwhisperer77 » Post

Have you considered rnd's Alchemy mod? (GPL licensed) Might be a bit OP for what you're going for, but otherwise kinda fits in the magical theme and is a great dump for extra cobble.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

catwhisperer77 wrote:Have you considered rnd's Alchemy mod? (GPL licensed) Might be a bit OP for what you're going for, but otherwise kinda fits in the magical theme and is a great dump for extra cobble.
Well, this looks interesting.

I'll see what it does in singleplayer, then possibly tweak it a bit to integrate with the server's own content, first, if I decide to add it.

EDIT: There are several things wrong with this mod, that would require more work than I feel would be worth the addition. The textures are ugly (and the essence texture is straight from a certain nonfree game), and, while the idea behind it is good, the execution feels clunky and bland.

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

I was browsing the code repo and came upon this:
https://notabug.org/Piezo_/minetest_mad ... odpack.txt

I didn't read through all of it, but that definitively doesn't belong there.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:I was browsing the code repo and came upon this:
https://notabug.org/Piezo_/minetest_mad ... odpack.txt

I didn't read through all of it, but that definitively doesn't belong there.
Ok, what the hell is that, and what is it doing in my server?!

I'm taking the repo down, doing a rootkit scan on my server, and reviewing every file in that modpack. What. The. Hell.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update

After a brief security panic due to the creator of redtrees deciding that it would be funny to paste the source code for a literal freaking virus into their modpack.txt file, the issue has been resolved, the repo is back up, the server is no longer on lockdown, and all is a little bit more right with the world.

Today has been a real weird day for me.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update

I realized that I left the IP redacted in the post despite the server lockdown being over, and everything being back online.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update
I have decided to edit minetest.conf and grant players the zoom privilege. If you are unable to log in (because I also edited auth.txt), please let me know either here on the forum, or by making an alt account and leaving a tip with /report

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

Crashed?

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

If it was just a crash, the server would reboot itself automatically.
Seems to be back online now.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Update on the status of the server and mods

The server hasn't seen any public updates recently, and I haven't been online very often.
There's a reason for this.

Several core mods on the server (wardzones, minetest_systemd and a few others) are undergoing massive changes.
To keep things moving, however, I've pushed a few of the more stable changes that don't depend on unstable features to the public repo, in the following mods:
  • dfcaverns, with a new "mantle" layer in the mapgen, below -16000
  • meseportals, with the updates listed on the mod's forum page.
  • death_messages, with a couple new/different messages.