[Raspberry PI] Server

DoyleChris
In-game: DoyleChris

[Raspberry PI] Server

by DoyleChris » Post

My son wanted to start playing Minetest, so i created a server on my laptop. But I was not able to run it all the time. But I did have a Raspberry PI 3B and i knew you could run Minetest on it. So I set out to get a server running, but it was a little harder then I thought.

Then I hopped onto the Minetest IRC channel, and NathanS was nice enough to help me. And he was able to compile a Stable 4.17.1 version and a 5.0 Dev version.

So requirements that you need (what I am running):
Raspberry PI 3B
Raspbian (command line if possible)
libhiredis-dev package (sudo apt-get install libhiredis-dev)
Able to share the game folder to install worlds and mods

Download corresponding build you want. Extract it. And run /EXTRACTEDFOLDER/bin/./minetestserver (i had to run sudo ./minetestserver)

Stable http://www.nathansalapat.com/downloads/0.4.17.1.tar.gz
Dev http://www.nathansalapat.com/downloads/5.0.tar.gz

Thank you to NathanS for the help and building the program.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Raspberry PI] Server

by Nathan.S » Post

It shouldn't be necessary to run minetestserver with sudo. I never needed to in any of my testing, and I was able to connect to the server from other computers on the home network.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

BBmine
GitHub: BBmine
IRC: BBmine
In-game: Baggins

by BBmine » Post

Nathan.S wrote:It shouldn't be necessary to run minetestserver with sudo. I never needed to in any of my testing, and I was able to connect to the server from other computers on the home network.
I believe he had to use sudo because it was throwing an error about not have permission. Run the following command to fix it:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod a+w /var/log/minetest

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

You can use the "snap" version of minetest (only server) you can download it from the console sudo apt-get install dsnap, then sudo snap install minetest and then snap run minetest --server --worldname <worldname> --console replace <worldname> to your worldname (first run it without the worldname and then you can copy your world to "/home/pi/snap/minetest/820/worlds" and add the worldname)
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

PizzaIstGeil1
In-game: PizzaIstGeil1

by PizzaIstGeil1 » Post

DoyleChris wrote:My son wanted to start playing Minetest, so i created a server on my laptop. But I was not able to run it all the time. But I did have a Raspberry PI 3B and i knew you could run Minetest on it. So I set out to get a server running, but it was a little harder then I thought.

Then I hopped onto the Minetest IRC channel, and NathanS was nice enough to help me. And he was able to compile a Stable 4.17.1 version and a 5.0 Dev version.

So requirements that you need (what I am running):
Raspberry PI 3B
Raspbian (command line if possible)
libhiredis-dev package (sudo apt-get install libhiredis-dev)
Able to share the game folder to install worlds and mods

Download corresponding build you want. Extract it. And run /EXTRACTEDFOLDER/bin/./minetestserver (i had to run sudo ./minetestserver)

Stable http://www.nathansalapat.com/downloads/0.4.17.1.tar.gz
Dev http://www.nathansalapat.com/downloads/5.0.tar.gz

Thank you to NathanS for the help and building the program.
Thanks