project Mindbuilder!

cae2000

project Mindbuilder!

by cae2000 » Post

Hello! This is my first post! I am working on a game like minetest! I will call it mindbuilder! But i need help to code it. So if any body wants to help, tell me! I will help to code it too.
Last edited by cae2000 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Post

good luck

madchicken13

by madchicken13 » Post

Ill help what code languge ill code in lua c or c++
Mostly know lua
Minetest-CC = viewtopic.php?pid=122782
My Minetest Mods = MoreBlocks
My Website: http://www.cddo.us/

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

im coding using darkbasic.

madchicken13

by madchicken13 » Post

is it really basic

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

lol! i know how to code with it.
Last edited by cae2000 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

madchicken13

by madchicken13 » Post

lawlz if you can code with that you can code with lua
lua is more strait forward

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

Good luck with that. or not. You can not make anything better than Minetest. Minetest is the best there ever was, the best there is, and the best that there ever will be. And dark basic is too simple to be used to make a complex block-based game like Minetest.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

madchicken13

by madchicken13 » Post

I Agree C++ is the simplest code for making complex games like Minetest

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

a game like minecraft or minetest is depending on the 3d engine. so first question for me would be, what kind of 3d engine darkbasic use. so there are not so many 3d engines availible which offer an open access to other languages.

what is darkbasic using? ogre, irrlicht ?

next is how good is the compilied code, is darkbasic really better and faster then c or c++. all the basic languages i kknow are based on a basic code like "c" whatever. so mainly there is one more softwarelayer of code if you write something in that language. i doubt if this is faster or better then a code writen directly in "c" whatever.

darkbasic might be good to get an understandig of programming, but if you want to write something like minetest and want it running smoth and fast like minetest, you realy have to use an other language. if you are really good try machinecode (assembler) and here is the next problem. how you want to make sure that it runs on linux and windows like minetest does?

this is one of the biggest "+" minetest has, even better then minecraft, its running on both system .....

one suggestion from my side, why you dont start with tools for minetest? like a 3d maker for the node_box in minetest. this would be already a big project and lots of ppl would be glad if something like that are availible. better then to try as a one man show to write one more "better" minetest/craft clone.

but this are only my five cent to this topic
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

"better than minetest"
[citation needed]
:) You can't really make games with "basic" languages.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

hmmm

i was now on the homepage of darkbasichttp://www.thegamecreators.com

on the first look its sounds good, but.....

why spent money (you need at least 40 dollar /30 euro) for the 3d basic version, when you can have this for free ? why not using "dev++ c" or visual C++ and then a free engine like irrlicht or ogre3d thats all for free and you have a big community who are able to help.

second:
if you want to get deeper into 3d programming with darkbasic you have sooner or later to buy add ons for 3d moddeling or other things like texture, sound, etc...

third:
i looked into some code examples there, its not that easy as the word "BASIC" means. for complex programming you need a loots of skill and experience of programming already. i think as a beginner you will have a hard time to find out how something is really working. hopefully the community in darkbasic is big enough to answer all your questions.

so to my opinion: i personaly would not spend that money for the progamm if i have lots of free alternatives. and if you need help, i guess its always easier to get it in the world of the "free" choice, cause here are much more ppl involeved then in darkbasic.

anyway...good luck and hope you will learn a lot, when you try to code something like minetest/craft in darkbasic. at the end its a good way to learn and in your life you will try or use lots of programming languages anyway if you work in that field. (thats at least what an old man like me can tell you ......) so start with dark basic, maybe you will find out later that its better to rewrite the code in c++ and use an "better" 3d engine like the one build in into darkbasic

Liandri

by Liandri » Post

I don't see the point to make another clone (another!!) when Minetest is taking shape every day.

Building a graphics engine is a very time consuming task, not to mention the programming skills necessary, that's why there is some open source 3D engines available like those mentioned above.

If you want your game good looking, you will need (among other things) to code a good terrain generator algorithm, with some maths involved, which again, it's very time consuming.

When you're done with this, you will be tired, bored and you will loose the desire to continue the project for sure.

Honestly, most people who want to start a project of this level doesn't have a clue what they are saying.

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

'
tkerwel wrote:a game like minecraft or minetest is depending on the 3d engine. so first question for me would be, what kind of 3d engine darkbasic use. so there are not so many 3d engines availible which offer an open access to other languages.

what is darkbasic using? ogre, irrlicht ?

next is how good is the compilied code, is darkbasic really better and faster then c or c++. all the basic languages i kknow are based on a basic code like "c" whatever. so mainly there is one more softwarelayer of code if you write something in that language. i doubt if this is faster or better then a code writen directly in "c" whatever.

darkbasic might be good to get an understandig of programming, but if you want to write something like minetest and want it running smoth and fast like minetest, you realy have to use an other language. if you are really good try machinecode (assembler) and here is the next problem. how you want to make sure that it runs on linux and windows like minetest does?

this is one of the biggest "+" minetest has, even better then minecraft, its running on both system .....

one suggestion from my side, why you dont start with tools for minetest? like a 3d maker for the node_box in minetest. this would be already a big project and lots of ppl would be glad if something like that are availible. better then to try as a one man show to write one more "better" minetest/craft clone.

but this are only my five cent to this topic

1.Darkbasic has it's own 3d engine
2.i have done comparisons, and darkbasic is a lot faster, but as far as i know, it only works on windows, and minetest laggs alot on my system
3.Im better at c++ any way :)
4. I tried that, but it wont compile

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

Liandri wrote:I don't see the point to make another clone (another!!) when Minetest is taking shape every day.

Building a graphics engine is a very time consuming task, not to mention the programming skills necessary, that's why there is some open source 3D engines available like those mentioned above.

If you want your game good looking, you will need (among other things) to code a good terrain generator algorithm, with some maths involved, which again, it's very time consuming.

When you're done with this, you will be tired, bored and you will loose the desire to continue the project for sure.

Honestly, most people who want to start a project of this level doesn't have a clue what they are saying.
i cant do it myself, but im asking anyone who wants to help can, like map gen, i cant do that, a few people can work on that, while i can work on the adding/removing of blocks.

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

tkerwel wrote:hmmm

i was now on the homepage of darkbasichttp://www.thegamecreators.com

on the first look its sounds good, but.....

why spent money (you need at least 40 dollar /30 euro) for the 3d basic version, when you can have this for free ? why not using "dev++ c" or visual C++ and then a free engine like irrlicht or ogre3d thats all for free and you have a big community who are able to help.

second:
if you want to get deeper into 3d programming with darkbasic you have sooner or later to buy add ons for 3d moddeling or other things like texture, sound, etc...

third:
i looked into some code examples there, its not that easy as the word "BASIC" means. for complex programming you need a loots of skill and experience of programming already. i think as a beginner you will have a hard time to find out how something is really working. hopefully the community in darkbasic is big enough to answer all your questions.

so to my opinion: i personaly would not spend that money for the progamm if i have lots of free alternatives. and if you need help, i guess its always easier to get it in the world of the "free" choice, cause here are much more ppl involeved then in darkbasic.

anyway...good luck and hope you will learn a lot, when you try to code something like minetest/craft in darkbasic. at the end its a good way to learn and in your life you will try or use lots of programming languages anyway if you work in that field. (thats at least what an old man like me can tell you ......) so start with dark basic, maybe you will find out later that its better to rewrite the code in c++ and use an "better" 3d engine like the one build in into darkbasic
their is a free version of Db... and the basic means the language. there is also Dark Gdk, it is in c++.
Last edited by cae2000 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

Calinou wrote:"better than minetest"
[citation needed]
:) You can't really make games with "basic" languages.
[citation needed] ?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's shorthand from Wikipedia, meaning "the preceding comment or purported fact needs verifiable proof".
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

ok, changed title to "working on game like minetest"

Liandri

by Liandri » Post

What I was trying to say is, why start a proyect from scratch while Minetest is looking for talented coders (like you) to complete and enhance the game? :P
cae2000 wrote:...2.i have done comparisons, and darkbasic is a lot faster, but as far as i know, it only works on windows, and minetest laggs alot on my system
I'm sorry but I disagree. C++ is top in terms of general performance, only machine code (assembler) can run faster.

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

I mean its faster than irrlicht on my system. but irrlicht is faster than anything else in c++ that i know of.

Also, I tried to make minetest better, but i cant get it to compile.
Last edited by cae2000 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

This project is now being coded in C++!! Not DarkBASIC Professional.
Last edited by cae2000 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

and ? how is the progress ? do you have a webside you can show the progress from time to time?
i am really curious how you manage this...

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

You need a website/blog/wiki first. Start working on it until you get to the point where that you have some blocks in-game. Then start defining tools and stuff, walking, etc., and post your progress to the blog and keep the wiki updated. Make sure that you are using something that ''loads'' blocks/items/tools from a folder (like what minetest does) and keep it simple.
Also try looking over the code that Minetest uses to see how it works (but do NOT copy it, only use it as reference) and base the project off of the same methods that Minetest and minetest-related games use.
Or just make a minetest fork,...
EDIT: and if you need a temporary forum, http://www.forumify.com
Last edited by SegFault22 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

cae2000

by cae2000 » Post

@segfault22:i dont know html.