Cyberbullying via Minetest/IRC

Gekkeupie
IRC: Majochup
In-game: majochup-upie2

Cyberbullying via Minetest/IRC

by Gekkeupie » Post

I have noticed that some players get bullied via minetest.
I think thats wrong.

I questioned a few persons who got bullied and the bullies are the same.
spamming, and anoying are the most common things what the bullies do.
If you ever get bullied go to a admin and ignore those bullies.
They are just pieces of peep.

And if it is on IRC then put them on your ignore list.
Also contact me if you want. :)

-Majochup
Last edited by Gekkeupie on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

jas
IRC: Freenode

Re: Cyberbullying via Minetest/IRC

by jas » Post

I hope they're not from Michigan!

Gekkeupie

by Gekkeupie » Post

wdym?

jas

by jas » Post

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

jas wrote:I hope they're not from Michigan!
I hope they are!

Bullying people online or offline is an absolute no-go. Some jail-time maybe wakes up the bullies.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Bullying, will always be a thing because, people do not want to get tough on people who display unacceptable/poor behavior.
As far as I feel, IRL and online etc, when a bully is found out, they should be publicly shamed, and made to feel embarrassed for their behavior, to the extent that they and others like them actually fear the consequences.

But society will not do this because we live in times when bullies and criminals are actually victims, and you are supposed to feel bad for them, or find excuses for their behaviors.
Quite often these days, those who display unacceptable/inappropriate behavior, have more rights to protect them, than there are to protect their victims those who display acceptable/appropriate behavior.

This is due to the "Who are you to judge me?!" movement, as well as those who constantly whine that we need to "understand" why these people behave the way they do, and we need to help them.
"If we're just nice to them, they will reform... blah blah" (which rarely works 1 out of 1000 times)

If you experience bullying on any MT server, communicate with the admins and mods.
If that does not work, then troll the bully right back... like it's your job ;)

But make sure what you are experiencing, is actually 'bullying'. Sometimes, people tend to over-react to harmless goofing around, and go off the deep end. (This happens IRL all the time as well)
If you are an over-sensitive individual, you will have to learn to adapt to the world around you, because the rest of the world is not going to change things just to accommodate you.
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Mon Dec 31, 2018 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
A Wonderful World

jas

by jas » Post

tsk, tsk... lol jk
for the record i am happy it's on the books and there are serious consequences. i also trust it won't be used inappropriately nor in-proportionately.... huh, guess that's not a word.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

disproportionately jas :)

I guess it is dissing in proportionate levels :D
A Wonderful World

Gekkeupie

by Gekkeupie » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:Bullying, will always be a thing because, people do not want to get tough on people who display unacceptable/poor behavior.
As far as I feel, IRL and online etc, when a bully is found out, they should be publicly shamed, and made to feel embarrassed for their behavior, to the extent that they and others like them actually fear the consequences.

But society will not do this because we live in times when bullies and criminals are actually victims, and you are supposed to feel bad for them, or find excuses for their behaviors.
Quite often these days, those who display unacceptable/inappropriate behavior, have more rights to protect them, than there are to protect their victims those who display acceptable/appropriate behavior.

This is due to the "Who are you to judge me?!" movement, as well as those who constantly whine that we need to "understand" why these people behave the way they do, and we need to help them.
"If we're just nice to them, they will reform... blah blah" (which rarely works 1 out of 1000 times)

If you experience bullying on any MT server, communicate with the admins and mods.
If that does not work, then troll the bully right back... like it's your job ;)

But make sure what you are experiencing, is actually 'bullying'. Sometimes, people tend to over-react to harmless goofing around, and go off the deep end. (This happens IRL all the time as well)
If you are an over-sensitive individual, you will have to learn to adapt to the world around you, because the rest of the world is not going to change things just to accommodate you.
But what if it is on a open IRC channel which has no special admin?
Or if it is in IRC with PM`s.
That is more of a problem and spreading rumors which look "harmless".
So the victim gets hated because of the bullies.

jas

by jas » Post

Just remember, two wrongs don't make a right. If you cannot remove yourself from the bullies presence, then it may be time to contact/inform authorities.

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

jas wrote:Just remember, two wrongs don't make a right. If you cannot remove yourself from the bullies presence, then it may be time to contact/inform authorities.
But Three lefts do. ;-)

J/K
Cyber Bullying is a serious matter, they should make people accountable for this, and as I am from Michigan, we welcome the new laws. :)
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

These are bad!
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Gekkeupie

by Gekkeupie » Post

migdyn wrote:These are bad!
Yep thats why i try and do something against it. :)

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Gekkeupie wrote:
migdyn wrote:These are bad!
Yep thats why i try and do something against it. :)
Oh, I was talking about the laws they may be used against you. Remember: Every law the you ma use against someone may be used against you
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

You know. Just don't pay them attention and talk to someone else; if something block them: this is the wonder of new technologies. If something just troll them.

The problem is people not having any self-esteem and succumbing to depression because someone they don't know wrote to them on the internet "u r momma gei xDDDD". The biggest problem isn't "Cyberbullying": it's that you let "Cyberullying" affects you so much; back then in the 1900's kids didn't get into depression because a card from a sender named "urmomma69" said they were useless idiots. The reason of a fire continuing to burn is you giving it more firewood and so it's the thing with "cyberbullies": don't give them attention so they don't continue, just that.
Have a nice day! :D

wziard

by wziard » Post

MineYoshi wrote:back then in the 1900's kids didn't get into depression because a card from a sender named "urmomma69" said they were useless idiots.
Of course they did. Even in the 1900s there was bullying. (Without the cyber-, probably, but bullying is bullying).

Blaming the victim doesn't really help. I know you mean well, and you just want to help people to not take it so serious. But If you are a victim of bullying, that's just not how it works. I kindly suggest you read up a bit on bullying in general.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

wziard wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:back then in the 1900's kids didn't get into depression because a card from a sender named "urmomma69" said they were useless idiots.
Blaming the victim doesn't really help. I know you mean well, and you just want to help people to not take it so serious. But If you are a victim of bullying, that's just not how it works. I kindly suggest you read up a bit on bullying in general.
At least that worked for me some years ago. How you handle situations is also your responsibility; maybe being a "victim" of bullying is sometimes "out" of your choice, but how you handle it is your choice; that your house burns may be out of you control, but rebuilding it or just weeping because "life is so bad to you" is definitively your choice. When you decide not to let the other people affect you that much they lose power over you and such things as "bullying" tend to have lesser effect over you and the people who "bully" you, who most of the times just are searching fun, will not do it anymore because you do not even mind giving them the fun they want.

Besides, who the heck minds about some stranger "cyberbullying" you on the Internet, watching it as it is: someone who you don't know and who you probably will never know saying things about you, who he doesn't know. If you receive a card from an anonymous sender saying "haha ur gei and a idiot XDDDD" the most sure you thing you're going to say is "What a freak; how they let them scape from the Mental Health Clinics?" and so it is the same with cyberbullying. A person has as much power over you as you let him; if you let someone from the internet define your own concept about you then I don't know how you're going to get along in real life where not everybody is as nice as you might think.
Of course they did. Even in the 1900s there was bullying. (Without the cyber-, probably, but bullying is bullying).
Yes, but the difference between real and cyber bullying is that you can block people and that you can look away from the screen if you feel too "sad". If the kids back then in the 1900 could have "block" buttons to shut up people they did not like forever their lives would have been happier; now that you have these beauties why will not you use them?
Have a nice day! :D

wziard

by wziard » Post

> now that you have these beauties why will not you use them?
That's very true.

jas

by jas » Post

"The future of mankind can only be achieved under a banner of cooperation."

Sires
GitHub: Sires0
IRC: Sires
In-game: Sires Sores Siri Seris or anything ppl call me

by Sires » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:If you experience bullying on any MT server, communicate with the admins and mods.
If that does not work, then troll the bully right back... like it's your job ;).
Once an admin bullied me, I griefed the server spawn :P Ik it's useless but it gave me some satisfaction
I don't have anything important to say.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

MineYoshi wrote:You know. Just don't pay them attention and talk to someone else; if something block them: this is the wonder of new technologies. If something just troll them.

The problem is people not having any self-esteem and succumbing to depression because someone they don't know wrote to them on the internet "u r momma gei xDDDD". The biggest problem isn't "Cyberbullying": it's that you let "Cyberullying" affects you so much; back then in the 1900's kids didn't get into depression because a card from a sender named "urmomma69" said they were useless idiots. The reason of a fire continuing to burn is you giving it more firewood and so it's the thing with "cyberbullies": don't give them attention so they don't continue, just that.
Well, although I agree for my case because it's also my state of mind, this just can't work for everyone, and you can't make victims responsible for this, especially if they are children.
Bullies recognize the sensitive people and target them. No matter how many people don't care about them, they will find somebody else to pester.
They are the source of the issue, we can't accept having some of them on Minetest servers.
MineYoshi wrote:At least that worked for me some years ago. How you handle situations is also your responsibility; maybe being a "victim" of bullying is sometimes "out" of your choice, but how you handle it is your choice; that your house burns may be out of you control, but rebuilding it or just weeping because "life is so bad to you" is definitively your choice.
Again, not everyone is able to be indifferent toward bullying. Glad if it worked for you, but you can't generalize. You seem to ignore that some people don't think the same way as you do, and can be deeply affected by the things they hear about them. In that case, just "rebuilding the house" is not in the choice list.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.