Maps for Capture the Flag mega-topic

ANAND
GitHub: magnetar47
IRC: MAGNETAR ANAND
In-game: ANAND and all names with Tomato

Re: Maps for Capture the Flag mega-topic

by ANAND » Post

-sniper-: You could make use of wool for the "RED BASE" and "BLUE BASE" lettering if you want. Just make sure you use the indestructible variant of wool, otherwise players would be able to dig the wool.
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

I'll definetely finish my current map before starting this. But would a map which is totally flat, contains a few trees behind the bases (not in the battle field). But it could have a bunch of towers all over, maybe some hot-air ballons, maybe some trenches, possibly bunkers.

Gives me an idea for making a World-war 2 based one with trenches and bunkers.

What would you think of these maps?
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

-sniper-
GitHub: JostP
IRC: sniper-
In-game: -sniper- and JostP

by -sniper- » Post

Hello
I made my 3 rd map, it is called forest map. There is a lot of apple trees and 2 lakes with bridge in the middle. You spawn with stone sword, stone pick, stone axe and 3 torches. I tested it in CTF game. Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler
Spoiler

Code: Select all

name = Forest map
author = -sniper-
r = 115
h = 140
rotation = z
team.1 = red
team.1.color = red
team.1.pos = (3,1,102)
team.2 = blue
team.2.color = blue
team.2.pos = (-24,-8,-101)
initial_stuff = default:pick_stone,default:sword_stone,default:axe_stone,default:torch 3
forest_map.zip
(440.04 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

ANAND wrote:-sniper-: You could make use of wool for the "RED BASE" and "BLUE BASE" lettering if you want. Just make sure you use the indestructible variant of wool, otherwise players would be able to dig the wool.
Does there exist wool stairs? I haven't found indestructible wool. Will it be added in the future?
What do you think about river_valley map and forest_map map?

PanzerBandit
In-game: PanzerBandit

by PanzerBandit » Post

Great new map Xenon! I love when new maps are added :D

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

Hello
I made cavern map, called moon_caverns. I think everybody like caverns. There is a large cavern system which extends from one side of the map to the other. There is a lot of diamond and mese ores. You spawn with steel pick, 3 sticks and 20 torches. I tested it in CTF game. Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler
Spoiler

name = Moon caverns
author = -sniper-
hint = Dig to reach the enemy!
r = 115
h = 140
rotation = z
team.1 = red
team.1.color = red
team.1.pos = (17,5,100)
team.2 = blue
team.2.color = blue
team.2.pos = (-21,-13,-97)
initial_stuff = default:pick_steel,default:stick 3,default:torch 20
moon_caverns.zip
(857.85 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

-sniper- wrote:Hello
I made cavern map, called moon_caverns. I think everybody like caverns. There is a large cavern system which extends from one side of the map to the other. There is a lot of diamond and mese ores. You spawn with steel pick, 3 sticks and 20 torches. I tested it in CTF game.
This is bears an uncanny resemblance to the existing cavern map. We're trying to go for unique maps, to encourage different strategies. Maps that are too similar won't be added.
My Mods

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

ANAND wrote:
I made cavern map, called moon_caverns. I think everybody like caverns. There is a large cavern system which extends from one side of the map to the other. There is a lot of diamond and mese ores. You spawn with steel pick, 3 sticks and 20 torches. I tested it in CTF game.
This is bears an uncanny resemblance to the existing cavern map. We're trying to go for unique maps, to encourage different strategies. Maps that are too similar won't be added.
Are river_valley and forest_map maps good, are they too similar? I think, there isn't any map with a lot of rivers or with trees on whole map in CTF server maps.
Otherwise i understand, i will try to make very good and different map with a lot of bases, fortresses and walls.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

-sniper- wrote:Are river_valley and forest_map maps good, are they too similar?
Going by the screenshots, they do look like fun maps to play in, but I haven't had the time to review them yet.
My Mods

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

What do you think about making map from this:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6642

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

That'd be way too big. Remember, maps should only be 220x110x220 in size.
My Mods

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

It'd be nice if someone created a map with this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7304&start=25#p152287 or this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7304&start=150#p323686 or this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7304&start=175#p324324. Ill try to make a map out of one of these when i have the time (hopefully the day after tomorrow).
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

Just need some quick feedback.
My map: Monolithic mountain, that I'm restarting from scratch to fix issues. The mountain is in the middle of an ocean, and has some small flat parts around it, though I'll be cropping those out to have a mountain centric strategy (sometimes less is more, less playing area, more imaginative strategy). But there will still be small ocean spots between the mountain and the barrier. (See images) I am unsure whether: I should make the map go 20-30 nodes below water level, make them shallow and only include 5-10 nodes below water level. Or fill them with stone and dirt or sand to make them into flat areas, including 0-5 nodes below the surface.
So should I make the map deep, make it shallow, or make it into a plain?
Spoiler
SW
SE
NE
Edit: How do I make insert attachments as images?
Edit 2: Fixed, Thanks ANAND
Last edited by Brian Gaucher on Sun Jan 20, 2019 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Looks a little too restricted to me, what's radius of the map? If it's going to be very small, you should make the map deep.

You can insert images by using image hosting services (e.g. imgur). Forum's attachments system can't embed uploads in posts.
My Mods

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

ANAND wrote:Looks a little too restricted to me, what's radius of the map? If it's going to be very small, you should make the map deep.
My map isn't wide (diameter 90), nor is it meant to be. It's not deep, nor is it meant to be. The map is high, from 0-90. The flags are at Y=25, and Y=30. The battle is meant to be centred around the mountain, either climbing and falling unto the enemy camp, or digging tunnels through the mountain (the bases are 60 blocks apart, I might make them more distant though).
Spoiler
Diamond in middle: dividing line
Diamond on sides: Flag positions

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

My map isn't wide (diameter 90), nor is it meant to be. It's not deep, nor is it meant to be. The map is high, from 0-90. The flags are at Y=25, and Y=30. The battle is meant to be centred around the mountain, either climbing and falling unto the enemy camp, or digging tunnels through the mountain (the bases are 60 blocks apart, I might make them more distant though).
I can understand how you intend this map to be played on. But if the bases are so close to each other, esp. with a mountain extending right up to the bases, players would tunnel to the enemy base, and capture their flag in a matter of seconds. If you intend for player to move around the map instead, consider using indestructible stone for the mountain.
My Mods

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

ANAND wrote:If you intend for player to move around the map instead, consider using indestructible stone for the mountain.
I might not put stone through the entire mountain. But I agree that tunneling straight through the mountain might become too much of a game-play killing strategy (since the bases have the same z-coordinate, 60 X-coordinate apart, and 5 Y-coordinate apart), I might make a not-flat (so they don't figure it out too quickly) wall in a general area between the bases, but let players dig through the upper half of the mountain as they wish.
Thanks for the idea

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

Hello
I made amazing city map called Karsthafen. I didn't build the city, I created map with solars' Karsthafen map (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6642). I removed/replaced all not-supported nodes (grass, obsidian_glass, rail, signs etc.) There are a lot of houses and buildings, bridges, roads and streets. You spawn with wooden pick, stone sword and 3 torches. I tested the map in CTF game. Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler
Spoiler

name = Karsthafen
author = -sniper-
r = 115
h = 140
rotation = x
team.1 = red
team.1.color = red
team.1.pos = (-24,-2,105)
team.2 = blue
team.2.color = blue
team.2.pos = (40,-4,-101)
initial_stuff = default:pick_wood,default:sword_stone,default:torch 3
karsthafen.zip
(445.14 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Add this map to ctf server maps if you think it is good :)
Last edited by -sniper- on Fri Jan 25, 2019 15:38, edited 2 times in total.

ANAND

by ANAND » Post

Wow, Karsthafen is really good!
My Mods

PanzerBandit

by PanzerBandit » Post

-sniper- wrote:What do you think about making map from this:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6642

That will be so amazing!! Please do one like that with edifications <3

PanzerBandit

by PanzerBandit » Post

I made amazing city map called Karsthafen. I didn't build the city, I created map with solars' Karsthafen map (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6642). I removed/replaced all not-supported nodes (grass, obsidian_glass, rail, signs etc.) There are a lot of houses and buildings, bridges, roads and streets. You spawn with wooden pick, stone sword and 3 torches. I tested the map in CTF game. Here are some screenshots:
Spoiler
Spoiler

name = Karsthafen
author = -sniper-
r = 115
h = 140
rotation = x
team.1 = red
team.1.color = red
team.1.pos = (-24,-2,105)
team.2 = blue
team.2.color = blue
team.2.pos = (40,-4,-101)
initial_stuff = default:pick_wood,default:sword_stone,default:torch 3
karsthafen.zip
Add this map to ctf server maps if you think it is good :)
It's great!! i hope we can play it soon :)

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

PanzerBandit wrote: It's great!! i hope we can play it soon :)
If you want you can try making your own map. It is very easy. Here are some links that may help you:
YouTube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orBsC9w ... e=youtu.be
CTF download(with ctf_map mod): https://github.com/MT-CTF/capturetheflag
WorldEdit download: https://github.com/Uberi/Minetest-WorldEdit

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

Especially for -sniper-
I tested out the map you made from karsthafen, I found it very creative an diverse, I enjoyed wandering around in it, but I don't think it should be included in CTF under it's current form.
First, IMO the map is way too big, CTF has a maximum of 30 people, and ussually has around 10-20 most of the time. If there were 100 people, that map could work, but for 20 people, players will get lost in that map. I spent 15 minutes wandering around in it, with fast enabled, and after stealing the flag, most players will get lost on their way back to their base (not necessarily a bad thing), finding other players will be a struggle. It will be more a game of hide&seek or tag than it will be fighting other players.
The caves don't serve much to the game, they go deep, but most have a single entrance. They go very deep, and players will get lost and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them would try suicide rather than wander around 5 minutes to find the way back out.
Finally, too many buildings are cut by the barrier, we would need to remove those buildings, and maybe leave grass instead.
Actual finally, I don't think the lake serves too much to this map's gameplay goal, I think many of us would wander around the town, find the ennemy base, hide until they leave, take the flag, and swim across the river to avoid getting lost.

This review is completely subjective, I will respect, and want to hear your opinion if you disagree with my review.

TLDR: Too big, too complex, caves too deep, caves quite pointless, edge of map cuts off buildings, lake ruins town atmosphere.

I would love a city-like map, but I don't think this one currently works.

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

Brian Gaucher:
Thanks for your feedback.
I agree with you about caverns. I made that map in 10 minutes and i didn't saw its weakness. Rubenwardy's caverns are better.

But i don't agree with you about Karsthafen. There isn't any map in ctf-server maps like this one. When you will play it for 10th time, you won't get lost anymore. There is also wide road from red to blue base. The map need to be big because if it is small, games are short because bringing flag to your base becomes very easy. I guess, noobs will like it because pros won't find and kill them. Finding flag stealer will be hard because there is a lot of streets, where they can hide.
Brian Gaucher wrote: Finally, too many buildings are cut by the barrier, we would need to remove those buildings
I don't think this is a problem. Removing them is very hard. You can try to improve map if you want ;).

I think my maps (Plain_battle, River_valley, Forest_map and Karsthafen) need to be tested. Players can skip them if they don't like them and they can still be removed.

-sniper-

by -sniper- » Post

ANAND please post my maps on GitHub when you will have time.