More quality videos of Minetest!

runs

More quality videos of Minetest!

by runs » Post

To Minetest increases popularity needs more videos in YouTube, that squeakers (10-13 years old) love.

Minecraft was Minecraft due to Youtube in part.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: More quality videos of Minetest!

by TumeniNodes » Post

just what we need..., servers overflowing with bratty, obnoxious, irritating, and rude babies.
A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I left Minecraft partly because of the community.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Is this a troll thread? So you're saying that Minetest Videos should make mod review videos like PopularMMOs? It would be a total disaster.
Last edited by MCL on Mon Jun 01, 2020 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

runs

by runs » Post

Yes, it is called entertainment...

Minetest videos are calm = Boring. 30 min or more of the sickle to death, like a documentary about lions in the savannah. The audience is not engaged. It is a big problem!!!

The popular Minecraft videos have millions of visits. Young youtubers that talk with a enthusiastic voice and winking the teen target.

OMG, the Minetets reviewers also do not show their faces. People love to know who are the youtubers, especially if they are young and cute.

The opposite would be to condemn Minetest to the most absolute obstracism...

But watch out, I'm not saying there shouldn't be all kinds of videos, but right now there are only boring videos.

I will do some Minetest videos, but of course, with a lot of secrets, mystery, crazy comments and a lot of fun. And if I have to break a keyboard and get all crazy, I'll do it. :-D

Stay tuned.

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

Smashed the like, banged the bell, subbed and shared. I am now part of the #notificationsquad.

Seriously though, what is your YT channel? I would like to see.

MCL

by MCL » Post

Minetest mod review videos are boring? Maybe for you...
I'm not saying all videos should be purely educational, I'm saying that they should be informative and also entertaining but they shouldn't be a copy of each other with slight changes like PopularMMOs does with his lucky block videos.
Last edited by MCL on Mon Jun 01, 2020 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

runs wrote:Minetest videos are calm […] like a documentary about lions in the savannah.
I wish there were such documentations nowadays. But it seems like it’s all about exaggerated screaming and action movie like cuts.
runs wrote:OMG, the Minetets reviewers also do not show their faces. People love to know who are the youtubers, especially if they are young and cute.
So you’re watching for the person not for the content. That’s fine.
Skulls wrote:Smashed the like, banged the bell, subbed and shared. I am now part of the #notificationsquad.
BECOME A PATREON AND SUBSCRIBE TO MY TWITCH CHANNEL! DON’T FORGET TO BUY OUR MERCH!

MCL

by MCL » Post

Actually dumb Minetest videos for 10 year olds already exist and they're called The Pixel Shadow, it's a weird PopularMMOs copy but in Minetest and they scream like crazy in those videos.
Last edited by MCL on Fri Jan 08, 2021 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

migdyn wrote:Actually cringy MT videos for 10 year olds already exist and they're called The Pixel Shadow
How dare you insult the honest work of Cat5 TV and RobbieF's daughter. Just because its made by and intended for younger audiences doesn't make it cringy.

Personally I think we need more creative content and original games that people will want to check out. Minetest itself is more likely to attract modders than players, but the servers and games built atop are what could really draw some attention.

Many popular series based around MC (such as the Hermitcraft series) don't show player's faces, but this is used for jokes about the players being inside the world of the server and ends up adding to the videos.

MCL

by MCL » Post

benrob0329 wrote:
migdyn wrote:Actually cringy MT videos for 10 year olds already exist and they're called The Pixel Shadow
How dare you insult the honest work of Cat5 TV and RobbieF's daughter. Just because its made by and intended for younger audiences doesn't make it cringy.

Personally I think we need more creative content and original games that people will want to check out. Minetest itself is more likely to attract modders than players, but the servers and games built atop are what could really draw some attention.

Many popular series based around MC (such as the Hermitcraft series) don't show player's faces, but this is used for jokes about the players being inside the world of the server and ends up adding to the videos.
I'm not insulting anyone

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I love The Pixel Shadow videos :) especially the one they did on Xanadu server :) w00t!

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Post

migdyn wrote:I'm not insulting anyone
Really?
cringy MT videos for 10 year olds
That's an insult, towards the video sure, but it's still an insult.

More Content Creators will come when there is more things worth making content for, because until we have more to show than the standard fork of MTG, we'll still be seen as a Minecraft ripoff with nothing more to offer.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I think something getting lost in here is that apart from whether or not they should ape the flashy kid-oriented Minecraft videos, (they shouldn't!) I feel like the Minetest video community could still improve their craft (heh) in places.

Like I don't wanna point fingers, but some folks could do with maybe whipping up a quick script and/or doing a rehearsal run before they start recording for real. A bit of "oh I should have built one of these to show this part of the mod off.... okay... hang on.. wait that's not right" is fine with me, since I can always skip ahead, but it definitely looks sloppy.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

sparky
GitHub: Elkien3
IRC: ircSparky
In-game: sparky

by sparky » Post

I have a few minetest pvp videos that aren't too bad. still no enthusiastic commentary but its pvp so maybe a bit more exciting than lions in savannahs :P

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

I made a few videos for ITB (See: https://minetest.foo-projects.org/videos.html ). Of course, the purpose wasn't "cool youtube generation entertainment" but more for people who need to learn how to build boxes and use the special blocks. I haven't gotten too much feedback, though, but it was fun making them and trying to put some quality in them.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sofar wrote:I haven't gotten too much feedback, though, but it was fun making them and trying to put some quality in them.
Very straightforward and informative. Quality is great.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Post

The highest quality series I've done is The Minetest Cinematic Series, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 673xunVzw8

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

runs wrote: Minetest videos are calm = Boring. 30 min or more of the sickle to death, like a documentary about lions in the savannah. The audience is not engaged. It is a big problem!!!
I like that style. And a documentary about lions in the savannah may be great and much more entertaining than say a film about something where the creators forgot the story and just conentrated on special effects. I definitely don't like it if somebody yells loudly. Still, it might be worth if the creator of the video did some preparations and shows what he has to show short and to the point, while other scenes/videos may live from the creator just walking around/building/mining leisurally and talking about some not even MT-related topic.

But then, I'm not a kid anymore. Maybe that audience needs other videos.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

runs wrote: OMG, the Minetets reviewers also do not show their faces. People love to know who are the youtubers, especially if they are young and cute.
I show my face in live streams where it's not so much about the content but more about a community experience. The idea behind the mod reviews, and Let's plays isn't for people to focus on me, but the mod or server that I'm recording the video about. If people want to look at somebody's face there are billions of vlog channels they can go to.

Also it's a lot of work to get the video and audio to sync perfectly to use a webcam, and then you need to have a clean room, good lighting, a nice backdrop, far too much work for something that isn't important to the video's content. Oh ya, and I'd have to pretend be young and cute, both of which I do not want to be.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Also it's a lot of work to get the video and audio to sync perfectly to use a webcam, and then you need to have a clean room, good lighting, a nice backdrop, [...]
I just set up a webcam and added it as source in OBS. But yes, getting everything in sync is a bit painful in configuration.

The "crystal clear 1080p 30 FPS" webcam ends up with 25 FPS in 800*600 in rather low quality on Linux. So the quality of the facecam is rather low and I had to do some tweaking and I find it sufficient now ... Maybe a real camera connected via HDMI to a capture card would help with improving quality.

My goal is to set up an external cam to record with 60 FPS and record gameplay with 60 FPS (make sure not to drop frames for both recordings but always have 60 FPS no matter what) and import to postprocessing software later.

With this I could even record commentary on the camera and later split the audio so I have gameplay video, facecam video, ingame sound and commentary sound as separate sources and the facecam is "real 1080p60" like the gameplay video (and I can hide or the came on-the-fly if needed what I can do with OBS in a slightly limited way, too).

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

My webcam refuses to sync it's own audio and video, which has never made sense to me, doesn't matter which program I use to capture from it either. If I recall correctly the webcam video shows a fraction of a second before the audio, and I can't put a delay on the video, only on audio, which would mean tweaking all audio inputs to get it to align. I spent a decent amount of time working on it several years ago, couldn't get it to sync perfectly and decided against use it as it wasn't worth the trouble.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Nathan.S wrote:My webcam refuses to sync it's own audio and video,
Yes, this seems to be default on Linux ... Even with high-end webcams (as said: my high-end full HD webcam doesn't even run in full HD. 5 FPS is the maximum I can get. On LQ I get 25-30 FPS) there seems to be no reliable way to get synchronized audio/video or even good quality video.
Nathan.S wrote:If I recall correctly the webcam video shows a fraction of a second before the audio, and I can't put a delay on the video, only on audio, which would mean tweaking all audio inputs to get it to align.
And even then it might not work properly because audio is not synced with video on recording and thus dropped frames are causing the video to be shorter than audio. There is no sane way to fix this (of course you could check synchronicity every 5-10 seconds and split audio and re-align it with video). Those cams are broken by design.

The only reason why my commentary audio and facecam video match (well, at least with only a slight delay) is because the facecam video is forced to 60 FPS and is hard-overlayed to my 60 FPS gameplay video without dropped frames and commentary is recorded with the gameplay video.

aristotle
GitHub: askotos
IRC: aristotle_
In-game: aristotle
Location: Currently on Melpomene, waiting for the starship to be fixed.

by aristotle » Post

runs wrote:... Young youtubers that talk with a enthusiastic voice and winking the teen target. ...
Humm.. That is what I frankly hate more of those videos.
In any case they generally give more specialized info: see some red stone tutorials...
runs wrote:...the Minetets reviewers also do not show their faces. People love to know who are the youtubers, especially if they are young and cute.
OMG. I am almost ready to deploy my first MT - YouTube videos and I am already off! Not cute, nor young!!!!!! Though I feel I am! ;D
runs wrote: The opposite would be to condemn Minetest to the most absolute obstracism...
I definitely hope not. Anyway I agree that we should try to better sell this great app/program/whatever you want to call it! :D
Happy builds & explorations! | Initiating my Creative Minetest channel on YouTube

Compech Dev
In-game: Balldage

by Compech Dev » Post

runs wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 20:42
Yes, it is called entertainment...

Minetest videos are calm = Boring. 30 min or more of the sickle to death, like a documentary about lions in the savannah. The audience is not engaged. It is a big problem!!!

The popular Minecraft videos have millions of visits. Young youtubers that talk with a enthusiastic voice and winking the teen target.

OMG, the Minetets reviewers also do not show their faces. People love to know who are the youtubers, especially if they are young and cute.

The opposite would be to condemn Minetest to the most absolute obstracism...

But watch out, I'm not saying there shouldn't be all kinds of videos, but right now there are only boring videos.

I will do some Minetest videos, but of course, with a lot of secrets, mystery, crazy comments and a lot of fun. And if I have to break a keyboard and get all crazy, I'll do it. :-D

Stay tuned.
No, that's a bad idea. If a bunch of 10 year olds came to minetest, i would leave the community.
Also i like Minetest Videos's style, and other people too. Actually, i bet you are a 10 y.o. that wants youtubers that scream in their microphone.

Not only that, but i kinda feel like you wanted to advertise your channel.