[Mod] Cave Realms Lite [caverealms_lite]

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [Mod] Cave Realms Lite [caverealms_lite]

by Andrey01 » Post

I see there are new sorts of caves that are imagined on the screnshot. Are they many?

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

by Shara » Post

Andrey01 - yes, depending on depth.

SaKeL - I'm not sure what to suggest. Do any of the mods do anything to the underground areas? Are the OOMs triggering only at a specific depth? (As a note, OOM isn't a thing mods "use", it's just what happens if memory use is too high.) I would suspect a specific mod is somehow interacting with CRL in a way that pushes memory use too high, but it also seems to be specific to that map. I'd be happy trying to adjust anything that might help, but I'm at a loss without being able to identify the issue.

SpaghettiToastBook
In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Post

Is there any chance coal dust could be renamed? There's an item in technic called coal dust.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Coal dust in CRL comes from the node in the original Cave Realms, which is also a very old mod and is used on many servers. If I change the name, it will leave worlds filled with unknown nodes or I'll need to rely on aliases, which it is much better to avoid.

There are servers using both Technic and Cave Realms, as well as servers using both Technic and CRL, all without issue, so could you let me know what the problem is?

SpaghettiToastBook

Shara wrote:Coal dust in CRL comes from the node in the original Cave Realms, which is also a very old mod and is used on many servers. If I change the name, it will leave worlds filled with unknown nodes or I'll need to rely on aliases, which it is much better to avoid.

There are servers using both Technic and Cave Realms, as well as servers using both Technic and CRL, all without issue, so could you let me know what the problem is?
Sorry; I think I wasn't clear. I was referring to the node description that you see in-game. There's no problem from a technical perspective.

EDIT: There are also two different nodes in this mod with the description "Salt Crystal".

Shara

by Shara » Post

It's called coal dust because it is coal dust. It's simply a block of it, and you can turn nine of them into a coal block. I don't see what advantage changing the description brings, and it would put the name and description at odds with each other, which isn't something I want to do without good reason.

Regarding salt crystal descriptions: There are two different nodes that are types of salt crystal (one is named stone_with_salt because that's what it is in the original Cave Realms, but it doesn't look like a "stone_with" node so I won't call it that.)

There is nothing wrong with two nodes having the same description, either within or between mods, when the description makes sense.

SpaghettiToastBook

Shara wrote:It's called coal dust because it is coal dust. It's simply a block of it, and you can turn nine of them into a coal block. I don't see what advantage changing the description brings, and it would put the name and description at odds with each other, which isn't something I want to do without good reason.
It doesn't have to not be coal dust. For example, it could be "Compressed Coal Dust" or "Block of Coal Dust" or something.
Shara wrote:Regarding salt crystal descriptions: There are two different nodes that are types of salt crystal (one is named stone_with_salt because that's what it is in the original Cave Realms, but it doesn't look like a "stone_with" node so I won't call it that.)
I definitely agree with not calling "stone_with_salt" "Stone with Salt". But they could still be distinguished ­– one of them could be "Compressed Salt Crystal" or something like that.
Shara wrote:There is nothing wrong with two nodes having the same description, either within or between mods, when the description makes sense.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I think it's confusing and awkward from a player's perspective ("Why can I use this coal dust in this recipe but not that one?").

Shara

by Shara » Post

Cave Realms has existed since 2014 and I have never heard of any other player having an issue with descriptions.

You're very welcome to change the descriptions in the version you are using, and I can let you know what to change to achieve that if you need help, but I'm not going to use such long and awkward descriptions in the mod.

SpaghettiToastBook

Shara wrote:Cave Realms has existed since 2014 and I have never heard of any other player having an issue with descriptions.
Well, I definitely had a problem with it when I was playing in 2015. (Not that I'd expect anyone to know, since I didn't post about it.) Anyway, it does seem like no one but me cares about this, so I'll drop the issue.
Shara wrote:You're very welcome to change the descriptions in the version you are using, and I can let you know what to change to achieve that if you need help, but I'm not going to use such long and awkward descriptions in the mod.
I really don't think any of my suggestions were long or awkward, though they certainly could be better.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Well, I definitely had a problem with it
Then change it in the version you use, or if you play on a server, ask the owner of that server to change it.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

One of the two mods should drop their registration and use aliases, or force register an alias. I have no particular opinions on which
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

What issues are there with same names ? both have their own crafting recipes and uses.

SpaghettiToastBook

Shara wrote:
Well, I definitely had a problem with it
Then chance it in the version you use, or if you play on a server, ask the owner of that server to change it.
Yeah, I'll do that.
rubenwardy wrote:One of the two mods should drop their registration and use aliases, or force register an alias. I have no particular opinions on which
That wouldn't work very well, since one is a node and the other isn't (assuming you're talking about coal dust).
TenPlus1 wrote:What issues are there with same names ? both have their own crafting recipes and uses.
It's awkward to have two different items with the same description. It breaks the immersion into the game world a bit. At least, that's my opinion.

Shara

by Shara » Post

It breaks the immersion into the game world a bit.
This makes no sense to me. There's plenty of things in the real world I'd call "bricks" for example. But that doesn't mean they all look identical or are the same size or could be used for the same thing.

SpaghettiToastBook

Shara wrote:
It breaks the immersion into the game world a bit.
This makes no sense to me. There's plenty of things in the real world I'd call "bricks" for example. But that doesn't mean they all look identical or are the same size or could be used for the same thing.
True, but if two bricks look different and are used differently, they probably should have different names. This is especially the case in Minetest, where on item can be representative of multiple similar items in reality. If two things are different enough that get to be different nodes, they should probably have different names (descriptions) too.

If all bricks in Minetest Game had the description "Brick", it would be accurate, but it would feel silly.

Shara

by Shara » Post

That's the expected response. The problem is you can start off saying that one brick is red and one is green, so you'd have "Red Bricks" and "Green Bricks", but what if you have several the same colour? Maybe tell them apart by stone type? Then what if each type of stone has several sizes of brick? What if they use different colour cement between the bricks? What if they have added ornamentation of some kind? You'll get names like " Large Red Sandstone Bricks with Pale Cement and Engraved Patterns"...

Ridiculous? Sure, but your suggested descriptions basically feel like this to me anyway. I prefer simple descriptions that, wherever possible, exactly match the node name.

SpaghettiToastBook

Yeah, it just comes down to how detailed one prefers node descriptions to be. In this case, I want them to be more detailed than you want them to be. It's a matter of personal taste.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

There's no point in attempting to eliminate all identical descriptions across mods. There are so many mods it would take far too much time to check all descriptions for matches. You never know what combinations of mods will be used so the effort would be mostly wasted effort. It's far better that the users, if they are bothered by identical descriptions (most are not), change them themselves, then the effort is made only where the effort is needed.
Essentially, it's futile for any one mod to be too concerned about what other mods do.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Could Caverealms and Caverealms_lite take less deep space and PilzAdam's Nether do the same?
I mean : I have tried to create a new world with Caverealms AND Nether both activated, they merged and the result was disastrous, IMHO.
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

wwar
GitHub: wwar-XeStro
In-game: wwar

by wwar » Post

Best mode for underground biomes! (probably late a bit)

HobbitPower
GitHub: HobbitPower
IRC: HobbitPower
In-game: HobbitPower

by HobbitPower » Post

Shara wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 08:47
Hi duane - Those were one of the things we agreed not to keep, (after all, once you have seen one of them, you've really seen all of them), though the DM statues are still there and can now be crafted from hot cobble and glow ore.
Is hot cobble only available in creative mode or can it be found? Just asking because i havent found any yet & since fortresses got removed, idk if they still spawn..
One does not simply walk into mordor unless you're a Hobbit(Power)!

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Hot cobble can be found in the deeper cave realms surrounded by flame and the odd generation of dungeon masters :)

NikaSama
GitHub: Nikorasu
In-game: Nika

by NikaSama » Post

For the most part, I'm loving this mod so far.. Tho I've just encountered a strange generation glitch after traveling down to around -10,000 just now..
It appears that a perfectly flat layer of cave-terrain, in the style of this mod's cave biomes, have generated floating in the air, inside an open cave layer that is supposed to be a huge open lava sea. It seems to happen across the entire map, and looks very out of place. Lots of vines and crystals just floating in mid-air just around -9950.
I'm gonna double-check things and regenerate, and see if it happens on another seed.
Edit: Darn.. Happens on other seeds too, and sure enough, disabling this mod and generating new terrain, the problem goes away. hmm
Attachments
screenshot_20231023_195925.png
screenshot_20231023_195925.png (776.14 KiB) Viewed 1752 times