[Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

User avatar
Lejo
Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

[Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Lejo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 14:31

VPS Blocker
This mod checks the IPs of the player for VPNs, proxys, or other hosting services which players use to skip IP bans.
These players will be blocked using this mod.
It gets the information from nastyhosts.com or iphub.info.
The information is stored to prevent often requests.

Installing
First you need to add vps_blocker to secure.http_mods to allow https requests.
If you want to use iphub.info(recommend) you need to register there and paste your API key in the minetest config to iphub_key = 123
Set the kick message:
vps_kick_message = "You are using a proxy, VPN or other hosting services, please disable them to play on this server."

Commands
Use /vps_wl <add or remove> <name> to allow people using VPS.

License
The idea for the mod is taken from here but it's a complete redo of it which is more lag resistant.

License: CC0
depends: none
Download
Source
Last edited by Lejo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Nathan.S
Member
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 17:47
Location: Bigsby Texas
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Nathan.S » Fri Feb 01, 2019 02:28

I feel it's unlikely somebody will go out and buy a VPN just to bypass an IP ban, but I guess if somebody is having trouble with players doing that this could be useful. I do like that you implemented a way to allow people that do use a VPN to still connect if the admin/mods know they are a good player.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course
 

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
Location: Germany
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Linuxdirk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 09:20

In the current state this is illegal when processing data from users inside the European Union.
 

User avatar
rnd
Member
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:24
GitHub: ac-minetest
IRC: ac_minetest
In-game: rnd

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by rnd » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:04

How about writing complete sentences?
"In the current state this is illegal" + "because REASON - with citations to EXACT points", when processing...
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. Oscar Wilde
 

wziard
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 19:12

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by wziard » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40

Linuxdirk wrote:In the current state this is illegal when processing data from users inside the European Union.


Filtering by IP is not 'processing a user's data' though...
 

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
Location: Germany
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Linuxdirk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17

wziard wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:In the current state this is illegal when processing data from users inside the European Union.


Filtering by IP is not 'processing a user's data' though...

IPs are considered as personal user data. Forwarding personal user data to an external service without informing the user about this and having the user consenting to this before forwarding the data is illegal according to the GDPR.
 

User avatar
Lejo
Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Lejo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:23

Linuxdirk wrote:IPs are considered as personal user data. Forwarding personal user data to an external service without informing the user about this and having the user consenting to this before forwarding the data is illegal according to the GDPR.

The Problem of this is the system of the mod:
It starts checking on prejoin so that the player can be kicked when fully joined.
If they need to accept first they can play until then.
The best way would be in my opinion to add it to the registering information of 0.5 so that the checking will be done after this.

Do you have another idea?
 

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
Location: Germany
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Linuxdirk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 13:43

Lejo wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:If they need to accept first they can play until then. [...] Do you have another idea?

Maybe have a formspec that reappears on closing it until the decision was made. At bare minimum you need to fully inform the user what data will be transferred and to what service the data will be transferred and why the data will be transferred.

Best would be waiting for 5.0.0 with it's better API calls for when people join so you can intercept joining. Not exactly sure how to do that though.
 

User avatar
Lejo
Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Lejo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 17:50

What about adding this to the server info:
Code: Select all
By Connecting you accept that your IP-address might get stored to block malicious users and might get uploaded anonymous to third party websites.

Example of my server:
Image
 

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
Location: Germany
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Linuxdirk » Tue Mar 19, 2019 07:40

Lejo wrote:Image

So you "agree" by joining the server and be informed about that after you joined the server?

I am pretty sure that was illegal even before GDPR.
 

User avatar
Lejo
Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Lejo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 14:47

You see the info before you join the server.
It’s the server info sent by the public server list.
 

neoh4x0r
Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 20:16
GitHub: neoh4x0r

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by neoh4x0r » Thu Mar 21, 2019 23:43

Lejo wrote:What about adding this to the server info:
Code: Select all
By Connecting you accept that your IP-address might get stored to block malicious users and might get uploaded anonymous to third party websites.

Example of my server:
Image


I am by no means an expert on the GDPR, nor do I care about that law--since I'm not in the EU.

However, if I am not mistaken....to be GDPR compliant (at least in part) you must give EU users the ability to request that their IP-Adress (or other information) be deleted from the server.

Following some of the news coverage on the GDPR, this meant providing a portal to allow EU users to view all of the information you have collected about them.

/rant

IMHO, the GDPR is a prime example of government-overreach, simply because the EU is trying to force that law on the rest of the world rather than just companies operating within the EU.

For instance a US company could be held financialy and legally liable for any mishandling of an EU citizen's public/private information. The problem with this is it practically gives the EU unlimited-power to force a law onto people/companies that shouldn't be subject to EU-law.

https://www.cmdsonline.com/blog/the-loo ... -websites/

To further expand on the absurdness of the GDPR....what happens if someone's router happens to log or otherwise retain an ip-address of an EU citizen ? According to the site I linked to, the collection ip-addresses is considered "personal information," so would that router and its owner (not being a company) be subject to the GDPR ?
....overreach indeed.

The simplest solution to the problem (to avoid the GDPR all-together) would be to block access from anyone in the EU, but that has its own set of problems.
 

User avatar
Festus1965
Member
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:58
Location: Thailand - Chiang Mai (+5-6h to MEZ)
GitHub: Minetest-One
In-game: Thomas Explorer

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Festus1965 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 00:50

neoh4x0r wrote:I am by no means an expert on the GDPR, nor do I care about that law--since I'm not in the EU.


A law is working inside an area the law was made for, so the EU area,
and it is running for the people from this law area, like me, as I am German even I live not in that area.

On the other side, we see that behavior against facebook and google, but here is the question, if it is as they have servers inside the law area EU

But as you can easy see on websites, they are not inside EU and not from EU people, they don't care about "our" EU laws.

So this IP problem depends
* maybe on hole minetest as mainly offered on an EU webpage ?
* sure on every server that is hosted in EU or by an EU citizen on hole world

AND as long minetest itself might store IP without we cant deny it ... big problem,

when someone start to complain to a court.
I own minetest.one. Server Asia Thailand Minetest.one (5.0.1) via server.minetest.one:30001 using [Mod]s and build some own Mods.
 

neoh4x0r
Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 20:16
GitHub: neoh4x0r

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by neoh4x0r » Fri Mar 22, 2019 05:28

Festus1965 wrote:
neoh4x0r wrote:I am by no means an expert on the GDPR, nor do I care about that law--since I'm not in the EU.


A law is working inside an area the law was made for, so the EU area,
and it is running for the people from this law area, like me, as I am German even I live not in that area.

On the other side, we see that behavior against facebook and google, but here is the question, if it is as they have servers inside the law area EU

But as you can easy see on websites, they are not inside EU and not from EU people, they don't care about "our" EU laws.

So this IP problem depends
* maybe on hole minetest as mainly offered on an EU webpage ?
* sure on every server that is hosted in EU or by an EU citizen on hole world

AND as long minetest itself might store IP without we cant deny it ... big problem,

when someone start to complain to a court.


Actually the EU is enforcing the law outside of the EU....which is the main problem with it.
The EU is using the law to protect its citizens by forcing everyone else to abide by it (even if not in the EU).

To quote the relevant part from the official EU GDPR Faq (https://eugdpr.org/the-regulation/gdpr-faqs/)
Who does the GDPR affect?
The GDPR not only applies to organisations located within the EU but also applies to organisations located outside of the EU if they offer goods or services to, or monitor the behaviour of, EU data subjects. It applies to all companies processing and holding the personal data of data subjects residing in the European Union, regardless of the company’s location.
Last edited by neoh4x0r on Fri Mar 22, 2019 05:33, edited 2 times in total.
 

User avatar
Festus1965
Member
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:58
Location: Thailand - Chiang Mai (+5-6h to MEZ)
GitHub: Minetest-One
In-game: Thomas Explorer

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Festus1965 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 05:31

neoh4x0r wrote:Actually the EU is enforcing the law outside of the EU....which is the main problem with it.
The EU is using the law to protect its citizens by forcing everyone else to abide by it (even if not in the EU).


Like I mentioned, when others offering important, massive or in and FOR EU located (sub)companies services

example in server name DE/EN might be a problem then, as German language is only in Europe, if EN might be USA and others also (Brexit hihi, then GB out and EN is free haha), so the will not get to make me meaning I offer is special into EU
I own minetest.one. Server Asia Thailand Minetest.one (5.0.1) via server.minetest.one:30001 using [Mod]s and build some own Mods.
 

neoh4x0r
Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 20:16
GitHub: neoh4x0r

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by neoh4x0r » Fri Mar 22, 2019 05:35

Festus1965 wrote:
neoh4x0r wrote:Actually the EU is enforcing the law outside of the EU....which is the main problem with it.
The EU is using the law to protect its citizens by forcing everyone else to abide by it (even if not in the EU).


Like I mentioned, when others offering important, massive or in and FOR EU located (sub)companies services

example in server name DE/EN might be a problem then, as German language is only in Europe, if EN might be USA and others also (Brexit hihi, then GB out and EN is free haha), so the will not get to make me meaning I offer is special into EU


It doesn't have to be a company located in the EU to be subject to the law (the only requirement is that they interact with EU citizens) .

PS: I don't understand what the English or German language (or server name) has to do with a legal law in the European Union (and who is or is not subject to said law).
 

User avatar
Festus1965
Member
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:58
Location: Thailand - Chiang Mai (+5-6h to MEZ)
GitHub: Minetest-One
In-game: Thomas Explorer

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Festus1965 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 08:13

neoh4x0r wrote:It doesn't have to be a company located in the EU to be subject to the law (the only requirement is that they interact with EU citizens) .

PS: I don't understand what the English or German language (or server name) has to do with a legal law in the European Union (and who is or is not subject to said law).


You just wrote yourself: "they interact with EU citizens", so when a server is special for German gamer, as maybe thought about a GE language server, this server and his owner, is/are interacting with EU citizens, and so might have/get the same problems.
I own minetest.one. Server Asia Thailand Minetest.one (5.0.1) via server.minetest.one:30001 using [Mod]s and build some own Mods.
 

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
Location: Germany
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 09:11

Lejo wrote:You see the info before you join the server.
It’s the server info sent by the public server list.

So you see it before and after joining? Because there are ingame clouds in the background of the text. That's why I'm wondering.
 

User avatar
Lejo
Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Lejo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40

Only Before but this should be enough.
I have another idea:
We disconnect players with the question to reconnect and the indo as disconnecting reason.
So they player accepts by reconnecting to the server.
But this needs a core change I need to request.
 

neoh4x0r
Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 20:16
GitHub: neoh4x0r

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by neoh4x0r » Fri Mar 22, 2019 15:21

Festus1965 wrote:
neoh4x0r wrote:It doesn't have to be a company located in the EU to be subject to the law (the only requirement is that they interact with EU citizens) .

PS: I don't understand what the English or German language (or server name) has to do with a legal law in the European Union (and who is or is not subject to said law).


You just wrote yourself: "they interact with EU citizens", so when a server is special for German gamer, as maybe thought about a GE language server, this server and his owner, is/are interacting with EU citizens, and so might have/get the same problems.


Now what you said makes more sense....and it is something I already stated.

To re-iterate this: (If you read the the faq: https://eugdpr.org/the-regulation/gdpr-faqs/)

It mentions "organizations that offer goods or services to, or monitor the behaviour of, EU data subjects".
"companies processing and holding the personal data of data subjects residing in the EU, regardless of location".

The problem is that the regulation doesn't define what an organization is, nor does it define what exactly a good or service is or what is meant by monitoring behavior (that is its meaning under the law).

However, to be compliant servers would only need to inform users of the data being collected and by joining the server they are "opting-in" and also giving the users the right to view any and all collected information as well giving them the ability to delete it or request it to be deleted.
 

User avatar
Festus1965
Member
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:58
Location: Thailand - Chiang Mai (+5-6h to MEZ)
GitHub: Minetest-One
In-game: Thomas Explorer

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Festus1965 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 13:08

is it needed to forward private address areas ?

This one: wikipedia or luck other services that my be more involved.
* 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
* 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
* 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
Ok, to join from private (own IP) is most not often, but still a useless check, as they are limited.
Maybe drop the check if like those.

My private meaning:
An used proxy main VPN IP address has no problem with EU data, as this is not his/her private, more a public and this services ARE set up for this - getting false answer.
And further is the IP stored then either in the mod after checked ? If so, that should be done different then, drop the last octet.
I own minetest.one. Server Asia Thailand Minetest.one (5.0.1) via server.minetest.one:30001 using [Mod]s and build some own Mods.
 

User avatar
Lejo
Member
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Lejo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 19:15

Festus1965 wrote:..., but still a useless check, as they are limited.
Maybe drop the check if like those.

Yes it' a useless check but it happens almost never. You also don't get a logic answer see here
My private meaning:
An used proxy main VPN IP address has no problem with EU data, as this is not his/her private, more a public and this services ARE set up for this - getting false answer.

Nastyhosts has pretty much false answers but iphub works perfect.
And further is the IP stored then either in the mod after checked ? If so, that should be done different then, drop the last octet.

Yes it must be cached Because the check starts on prejoin and while joining the client can't get kicked and when the player fully joined it gets kicked etc.. The second reason why I cache the ips is to prevent checking multiple times for one client.
What about hashing the ip and just checking with the hash? Then it should be EU-OK.
PS1:I know Sha1 is insecure but we aren't sharing out bank datas so this should be ok.
PS2: Same for ban mods?
PS3: I know you can brute force all ips on the world in a short time. But it's better than nothing.
 

Sires
Member
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 21:00
Location: :noitacoL
GitHub: Sires0
IRC: Sires
In-game: Sires Sores Siri Seris or anything ppl call me

Re: [Mod] VPS Blocker [vps_blocker]

by Sires » Sat Apr 06, 2019 13:37

Nathan.S wrote:I feel it's unlikely somebody will go out and buy a VPN just to bypass an IP ban, but I guess if somebody is having trouble with players doing that this could be useful. I do like that you implemented a way to allow people that do use a VPN to still connect if the admin/mods know they are a good player.

Oh it happens >.< there is a server with a player known as "beanies" we already banned about 30 ips all just from him. And he is really annoying troll. Or they are just using a free vpn(not I have no idea on how it works) :P
In the middle of the road was a stone
was a stone in the middle of the road
was stone
in the middle of the road was a stone.

I shall never forget that event
in the life of my so tired eyes.
I shall never forget that in the middle of the road
was a stone
was a stone in the middle of the road
in the middle of the road was a stone.
 


Return to Mod Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests