Serverlist - ping is (only) netherland Europe

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

again, maybe but

when minetest really want to grow more, and want to have worldwide servers and gamers than this list has to grow also.

Fakt:
Many gamers are complaining about lag,
but even if they know how to read the ping at the clients list, it is wrong as not there locations ping to server.

--added--
Solution: for now
"Minetest-ping-sort"
doyousketch2 wrote:Spend a minute to find the server nearest you, for the fastest gaming response.

sudo apt-get install fping
./pingmt.py
I tested it, and ferfect. Just may need to create a "copy" of that serverlist to load, but if ju just check your favorite servers as of there real ping from YOUR location, then you might change to a more nearby server.
--added end ---

As the server is located in "servers.minetest.net Netherlands Noord-Brabant Roosendaal" it will show IPs nearby faster then the one over Ocean (North and south America) or in Asia - depending on networks that are good together.
* I from Thailand have 217 ms to there
* from Germany it is 43 ms
* so from USA should be 140
* and Japan 290

But when I play from here in Thailand (ok, extreme but the future goes worldwide)
* to me it should be 15 ms (Thailand has a very fast fiber net even with neighboors)
* to japan (there are 3 servers) 110
* to Europe between 220 - 240
* to USA 290

So a European gamer near the ping-serverlist gets nearly the right show about ping speed and can choose right, if ping is also important,
but a USA gamer is getting a plus from about 140 ms to just a server to his neighborhood - not mentioning that this server would be best for fast and less lag gaming !!!

But to keep all servers together it is not possible with an just copy and install of the servers-master (I failed even to do this), as that mean separate of lists, and only the servers changed there settings and clients changed there settings can use this configuration.
But can do ... if easier. As also favorite server kept in extra file.

Anywhere the client users would have to change it,
but the servers.minetest.net would need to share the servers to the second lists, which are then doing there own ping and offer the list to those who use it. This make sure all gamers, what ever list they use, see
* the right ping
* all servers available

If really think about bigger community there is no way to think about this.

A link about this and what servers are available, that the user know it, can check and use the list is better for him should work easy.

So when i open my client here in Thailand and see the server-list, I see my own server like a joke, 3 bars green, not 6 or 7 like the one nearby the serverlist-server location.

But that is WRONG !

And that is misleading gamers to choose the right one, and we still have complaints (we always have but hope never dies) but admins would have then later less far distance gamers and so also less lag.
I know how the CTF gamers complain when I and my daughter coming in. Hihi - but she like so much

Solutions:

* the client itself should check the ping of available servers (maybe on request with a button) after received.

or

* minetest.net needs copies of serverlist running on more continents (i guess main north America and as I see Asia 5 servers)
= main list the server report to: servers.minetest.one
with copy at servers.minetest.one, take "report" from main server, and calculate ping, and also offers to clients choose this list
and sure we will find one in USA help us there

Beside: If I get help about that server-list, sure I will build one here that coders can think about how it would work.

edit: not the first one, sure not tha last one
* Logic behind the server list ping?
* Online menu: Do not show ping to server list, use `lag` instead
Last edited by Festus1965 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 04:19, edited 3 times in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

mhh, searching: found serverlist.cpp

Code: Select all

if (action != AA_DELETE) {
		bool strict_checking = g_settings->getBool("strict_protocol_version_checking");
		server["name"]         = g_settings->get("server_name");
		server["description"]  = g_settings->get("server_description");
		server["version"]      = g_version_string;
		server["proto_min"]    = strict_checking ? LATEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION : SERVER_PROTOCOL_VERSION_MIN;
		server["proto_max"]    = strict_checking ? LATEST_PROTOCOL_VERSION : SERVER_PROTOCOL_VERSION_MAX;
		server["url"]          = g_settings->get("server_url");
		server["creative"]     = g_settings->getBool("creative_mode");
		server["damage"]       = g_settings->getBool("enable_damage");
		server["password"]     = g_settings->getBool("disallow_empty_password");
		server["pvp"]          = g_settings->getBool("enable_pvp");
		server["uptime"]       = (int) uptime;
		server["game_time"]    = game_time;
		server["clients"]      = (int) clients_names.size();
		server["clients_max"]  = g_settings->getU16("max_users");
		server["clients_list"] = Json::Value(Json::arrayValue);
		for (const std::string &clients_name : clients_names) {
			server["clients_list"].append(clients_name);
		}
		if (!gameid.empty())
server["gameid"] = gameid;
but so far I can read it, no ping ms time is included to receive. So how ... the wrong show in the client?

got to: "tab_online.lua" where the table seams to be made

Code: Select all

retval = retval .. "tablecolumns[" ..
		image_column(fgettext("Favorite"), "favorite") .. ";" ..
		image_column(fgettext("Ping")) .. ",padding=0.25;" ..
still no glue where the ping time is got from or generated.

The start of use Ping seams to have happened from 0.4.15 to 0.4.16
as change-log show this
Server list: add ping indicators (kilbith)
Last edited by Festus1965 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 06:45, edited 2 times in total.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: Serverlist - ping is (only) netherland Europe

by sofar » Post

This has been discussed ad nauseam on github. The result is that unless someone writes a patch to show the proper ping times, it is unlikely to change.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

sofar wrote:This has been discussed ad nauseam on github. The result is that unless someone writes a patch to show the proper ping times, it is unlikely to change.
That mean for my understanding, this would be the "solution" the client does it himself.

So the other option, the server-list is available with "copied" servers, but own ping, and send the list to clients is still another option, to keep in mind.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Maybe a better idea would be to geolocate each server to a region, so that players can choose based on that - e.g. a split per continent or country would make sense. The serverlist could probably do this.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

If like that, than also it would be possible just to remove a sum of ping time (average) depending on location, as that is the problem, gamer see high ping, but ...
but still I keep the mirrored server list in mind, as gamer see all servers, with local ping time anyway, if he choose to change in settings

doyousketch2
GitHub: doyousketch2
In-game: Sketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

ok, first of all that's MY app. I don't know who you are, so if you're gonna link something, it should be to my repo, which is safely hosted on GitHub. Credit where credit is due.

https://github.com/doyousketch2/Minetest-ping-sort

Notice, that's not some made up minetest URL. I wouldn't go to your site if you paid me.
Minetest.NET and nothing else

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

doyousketch2 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 09:18
ok, first of all that's MY app.
lol, but fact is, that I need to start this app several times until it gives an result.
But as I stopped all support to minetest, never mind.

Thanks for your app also, helped me a lot - and may should updated like a possibility to integrate it into the client, or export the results to be used by the client.

doyousketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

The point is: I don't trust any website that's Minetest (dot) and then anything-other-than NET

I would NEVER muddy the waters of what is an official site by leading others to a stray page with such an extension, and for you to use my app in such a manner is antithetical to what I believe in.

In fact, you could say it goes against the Affero License agreement, because viewers time and attention are worth $$ and for you to profit thusly, goes against the spirit of the law.

If you won't take the link down, admins should.

And I would strongly recommend that they scrub the forums for any similar links that lead to websites of the "minetest.xxx" format that aren't specifically Minetest.NET

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

(off topic)
your decision, and as the website no longer exits, wasted time ... to write, to ask for link delete, for others

doyousketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

Don't care. Thanks for the praise, now take the link down. The problem I've got with it is: you're blurring the lines of who's who. You had NOTHING to do with it. You have no authorship. Why should you be getting people to your website for my work? This is the first hearing about this thread. There was no email. Been to the forums, and it never showed in my mentions.

You're talking to the guy who *literally* has, and has had "minetest.Net" as his Discord status for YEARS; specifically to remind people of the distinction, and twhart any possible confusion, thereof.

You'd have already seen that, if you actually knew me.

Who - in the entirety of the Minetest population - has *ever* seen my Discord status as anything other? Truly, anybody is welcome to speak up here, if they've ever seen it changed.

I'm not a party to your brandjacking scheme, so drop it. Remove the link. You, specifically, are hereby banned from ever using any of my software. Black3.0 It's my copyright, I wrote the app. Consider this your DMCA takedown notice; take the link down. You broke TOS by using a modified form of it on your server, without making the source-code available to me. Edit the post, take that link off the forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandjacking

What are you, a Vogon? It's on GitHub, how hard is it to post a note there? a tweet, an email, something? Just told you that I religiously will not go to that brandjacked website - that absolutely is not something I will, or would ever, do. So for you to place my app somewhere that isn't available, that's FUBAR.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

I am searching for it... but can take years ... - will delete the wrong/dead links ...

I found 3 links, and deleted them, feel free to tell other locations, that I might take them down.