Please go crazy, and break all the things!
- Add online content repository (games, mods, modpacks, texture packs)
- Add Carpathian mapgen
- Android: Rewritten controls. Add joystick and modify up on-screen buttons
- Mods and games can be translated
- Rename 'subgame' to 'game'
- Modding: More node drawtypes: disconnected nodeboxes (more ways to create connected blocks), plantlike_rooted (useful for algae and other seaplants)
- Modding: Customizeable max. health and max. breath for players
- Modding: Custom player collision box
- Modding: A great deal of new map generator features
Known Remaining Issues
- HUD elements may appear twice - ie: with hudbars, the old health won't disappear. issue | PR
- Rotation accuracies - you're unlikely to bump into this, but if you use the new issue for it and an open PR method with allows full rotation, you may notice some issues and inaccuracies. There's an
Breaking ChangesAs a major release, 5.0.0 will break some mods written for 0.4.x versions.
We tried to keep the breakages as small as possible whilst fixing long standing issues.
All worlds and most mods should continue to work. Most (sub)games are likely to break if they don't receive updates
- Minetest now uses C++11 instead of C++03, make sure you have a compatible system (Windows Vista, Debian 8, Ubuntu 16.04, CentOS 7, macOS 10.7, …)
- Breaks network compatibility with 0.4.x. 0.4.x clients won't be able to connect to 5.x servers and vice-versa. Fix: update clients and servers to 5.x
- Attachment and entity model positions have changed. Fix: **todo**
- Formspec theming using prepended strings. This may cause wrong backgrounds to appear on formspecs. Fix: see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20646
- depends.txt and description.txt have been deprecated. Fix: use ''description'', ''depends'', and ''optional_depends'' in mod.conf, game.conf, modpack.conf, or texture_pack.conf instead
- modpack.txt has been deprecated. Fix: rename to or add ''modpack.conf''.
- Use of deprecated methods such as ''object:setpos()'' is now warned about. Fix: replace them with correct functions
- ''player:get/set_attribute()'' is now deprecated. Fix: use ''player:get_meta()'' instead
- ''nodeupdate()'' was removed. Fix: replace with ''minetest.check_for_falling''.
- Clouds API: changed speed param from 'y' to 'z'
- Some client-side scripting functions were removed (see below)
- Win32: https://gitlab.com/minetest/minetest/-/ ... s/download
- Win64: https://gitlab.com/minetest/minetest/-/ ... s/download
- Android: coming soon
.deb: https://gitlab.com/minetest/minetest/-/ ... s/download
Compile portable build:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install -y git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(nproc); cd ../bin; ./minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by double-clicking \"minetest\" in the \"bin\" folder of the \"minetest\" folder in your home folder.\nYou can install mods in ~/minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"