[Mod] Wells, Rainbarrels, Non-Apocalyptic Water [rainbarrel]

Piezo_
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

[Mod] Wells, Rainbarrels, Non-Apocalyptic Water [rainbarrel]

by Piezo_ » Post

Any Minetest Server operator knows that one substance alone is the ultimate griefing weapon, the bane of protection mods, and the apocalyptic substance of lag, capable of unleashing biblical floods if it falls into the hands of an evil player, which is highly likely, since it is painfully common, and infinitely obtainable.

This destructive element is known, and feared as it spills through land and sky with no regard for protection.
It goes by many names... it is l'eau, akvo, mizu, water.
To those who dread it most, it is default:water_source.

The developers have been silent when it comes to giving us a register_on_renewliquid function, or anything at all to limit the server-destroying power of water, but I haven't. I'm throwing my code into the ring, for what it's worth, and offering my partial solution to this problem that works for both players and admins!

And so, I present
rainbarrel!

The rainbarrel mod changes the manner by which water is renewable.
Instead of simply making an obscenely unrealistic "water generator", players must use rain barrels or wells, which slowly accumulate water.

Wells fill only half as fast as rain barrels, but have 4 times the capacity.

Also, if you have my fork of snowdrift installed, rain barrels will fill twice as fast, but only in the rain, for more realism.

Obviously, this mod will break water generators, and remove the ability to quickly fill artificial lakes/etc.

Download
License:
code: LGPLv2.1
textures/models: CC BY-SA 4.0
while (true) { suffer(); }

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Wells, Rainbarrels, Non-Apocalyptic Water [rainbar

by Sokomine » Post

Nice idea, and nice models. Only problem is: It seldom rains. Thus, we might starve while waiting for the water for our farms!

Water can be destructive for a server, but lava is even worse. Most servers get around this by disallowing the usage of buckets in any area that is not owned by the player.

I've just recently completed a small tree trunk well myself. Rnds extreme hardcore skyblock server reminded me that my skyplatform is still waiting for machines to obtain ressources. Handling out water sources in skyblock like games feels a bit odd, thus, the well. I was a bit disappointed that it's not really possible to add new buckets. A wooden bucket that works like a normal bucket but cannot hold lava would be fine.

And yes, making water sources not renewable automaticly but adding a well definitely sounds good.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Sokomine wrote:Only problem is: It seldom rains. Thus, we might starve while waiting for the water for our farms!
Ah, you've forgotten. These devices are the only means by which water is renewable, not the only means of obtaining it! You can still just take a good ol' scoop out of the ocean, it just won't fill back up.
Sokomine wrote:Water can be destructive for a server, but lava is even worse. Most servers get around this by disallowing the usage of buckets in any area that is not owned by the player.
If you ask me, banning all buckets outside protection seems a bit extreme (I'd just block lava), and also still circumventable (Just make a small, temporary claim a few hundred nodes above someone's precious creation, and the damage is done)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Piezo_ wrote:(Just make a small, temporary claim a few hundred nodes above someone's precious creation, and the damage is done)
Just make it high enough above so the actual creation is unloaded, then drop the lava and wait until it spreads on top of the unloaded area then go down to make it load to cover the whole area in lava instead of just one single stream.

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Just make it high enough above so the actual creation is unloaded, then drop the lava and wait until it spreads on top of the unloaded area then go down to make it load to cover the whole area in lava instead of just one single stream.
I suppose it's pointless to ask the devs for any kind of liquid-spread callback?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Piezo_ wrote:I suppose it's pointless to ask the devs for any kind of liquid-spread callback?
I guess ... But this would be the optimal solution, yes.

In the meantime unloaded areas should not behave as solid nodes ... You can even walk on unloaded areas and land on them without fall damage what makes it possible to fall thousands and thousands of nodes deep without dying because you land on unloaded areas every few nodes when falling fast enough. But it's going too off-topic here :)

Piezo_

by Piezo_ » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: You can even walk on unloaded areas and land on them without fall damage what makes it possible to fall thousands and thousands of nodes deep without dying because you land on unloaded areas every few nodes when falling fast enough.
I've been accused of fly-hacking when this happened to me at the absolute perfect time on skywars...