Random tricks and tips (Minetest Game)

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

Re: Random tricks and tips (Minetest Game)

by orwell » Post

Wuzzy wrote:More tips! Not just for Minetest Game.
  • Nerdpoling: Build a block on your feet, then jump. Repeat forever to quickly reach new heights. Probably the most-known trick ever. :D
NOOOOOOO!!!! What have you done! You are encouraging new players to nerd-pole!
Those "Nerd poles" are maybe useful IN SINGLEPLAYER, but I hate seeing them on servers in places where there is an elevator or a stair about 10 meters away.
So, as a message to all newbies who read this:

Yes, nerd poles are useful, but please look a bit around if there's already a stair up to the height you want to reach.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Whatever, a random trick from me:
The "Radar view" of the minimap can be useful to find caves while you're underground. You just need to know that it does not give any clue on at which height to find the cave. To find a cave, given you have dug some sort of "shaft":
1. Position yourself somewhere inside a green blob
2. Tunnel straight up until you either reach a cave or the blob disappears on the map
3. Go back down and tunnel down until you reach the cave.

EDIT: It is possible that you accidentally dig the bottom of a lava pit, so take steel ladders with you!

A nice trick to dig a tunnel "straight up" or "straight down" while actually building a stair that you can go safely down/up again is

1. Vertically shifted up or down 1 node, dig out 3 nodes vertically
2. Turn 90 degrees
3. repeat

This way, you build a spiral staircase where there's exactly 1 node between layers. Note that it breaks when you accidentally dig out 4 nodes high.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

So I lerned from this thread about the use of cacti as a fuel, which proved helpfull on a server which doesn't have leaf decay.

In return you get this:
I very recently learned something about the inventory wich I didn't see mentioned anywhere. You can drag a stack of items over empty slots while holding rightclick and it will deposit one item in the slot on each pass, similar how Minecraft does it. BUT it only works after you have already once deposited an item via rightclick in the inventory section you want to use this in. e.g. It works for the main inventory and the crafting grid seperately.

Another thing not mentioned here yet is that you can craft 10 items at once via middle click.

Hope I spared your mouses some suffering.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I very recently learned something about the inventory wich I didn't see mentioned anywhere. You can drag a stack of items over empty slots while holding rightclick and it will deposit one item in the slot on each pass, similar how Minecraft does it. BUT it only works after you have already once deposited an item via rightclick in the inventory section you want to use this in. e.g. It works for the main inventory and the crafting grid seperately.
I noticed this too. This sounds like a convenience feature that was implemented a little buggy.

Pudding

by Pudding » Post

If you disable “Always fly and fast” in advanced settings (client, controls) it makes it a lot nicer to build while flying.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

If you play minetest with shaders, you can open client/shaders/nodes_shader/opengl_fragment.glsl in your shared minetest path and change

Code: Select all

vec4 col = vec4(color.rgb * gl_Color.rgb, 1.0); 
to

Code: Select all

vec4 col = vec4(color.rgb, 1.0); 
(line 198) to be able to see in the dark.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .glsl#L198

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

A little trick:

If you have the 'fast' privilege, use is used to run. But if you don't hold any movement keys, use works as a brake. So, if you're running really fast, let go of all movement keys but continue to hold down use and you will stop quickly.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:If you have the 'fast' privilege, use is used to run. But if you don't hold any movement keys, use works as a brake. So, if you're running really fast, let go of all movement keys but continue to hold down use and you will stop quickly.
Since you don't gain any momentum while running just tap backwards once to immediately stop any forward movement.

rolandm
In-game: roland

by rolandm » Post

The F9 minimap is disabled by default in 5.0.0. Craft a Mapping Kit and keep it in main inventory (bag isn't enough :<) to get the over ground minimap back.
Does anyone know how to get the under ground radar now?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Radar mode has been removed from Minetest Game as overpowered.

It's only available in Creative Mode now, or if you use mod like Orienteering.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Radar mode has been removed from Minetest Game as overpowered.

It's only available in Creative Mode now, or if you use mod like Orienteering.
So basically survival games that depended on the radar mode, are suddenly deemed obsolete. Or rather, this is an instance where Minetest 0.4.x is superior for certain styles of gameplay.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

NO!

I said "Minetest Game", not "Minetest". Other games are unaffected by this. Your own game can still choose whether to allow radar mode or not.

It is now possible to allow surface mode, but not radar mode. In the previous versions, you could only enable/disable the entire minimap (both surface and radar mode at once). So 5.0.0 is an inprovement and NOT a downgrade.

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

What is the default behavior of the engine? Is it to keep the minimap fully enabled (radar and surface) in survival?

If the default is different than 0.4.x then yes it is a "downgrade" since it requires having to manually reconfigure the minimap. And since the vast majority of custom games are based on or derived from or even depend on Minetest Game, then yes this is a huge breaking change as far as gameplay. And this extends, of course, to servers that with only a handful of exceptions are all running Minetest Game, just with additional mods added on top.

rolandm
In-game: roland

by rolandm » Post

This is getting offtopic.
How about offering a small mod to activate radar for those who need it in 5.x?
Since the code is still included, it shouldn't be much effort, right?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

What is the default behavior of the engine? Is it to keep the minimap fully enabled (radar and surface) in survival?
Yes.