by ratmix » Post

Please help test our new Game Mode: King of the Hill

Server info ratmix.com:30000

Testing to be done on...
February 23rd at
CST+6 = UTC = 8pm or 20:00
UTC+1 = CET = 9pm or 21:00 Middle Europe
2:00pm US Central Standard Time

This is a Minetest 5.0.0-dev server, so you will need a 5.0.0-dev client.

We have done extensive testing but need multiple players (hopefully 20+) to load test and get gameplay/debug feedback.

If you would like to help test please reply to this post.

From the server's welcome page:

Welcome to our unique and epic Minetest game mode "Capture the Point". Here you will participate in all-out war to control and occupy the map's Capture Point. Here’s how it works:

To arm yourself, see a list of our weapons kits by typing /kits

To receive the kit that best suits your desired combat role, type /kit <kitname>

Move toward and besiege the point on your HUD labed ‘CP’. This is the point your team will need to control for 3 minutes to win the game.

To control the point, your team must be the sole occupier of the capture point area, which is a 30 block radius around the capture point.

After 10 seconds of being the sole occupier, you will see your team color light turn on within the console on your screen.

If the enemy intrudes in your area, but your team still maintains the majority within he capture area, a 45 second timer pause will begin. If the enemy is not flushed out within this time or the enemy becomes the majority in the capture area, the pause will end and you will need to regain control of the area.

There is also an overall game timer set to 25 minutes. If no team have controlled the capture point for 3 minutes by the time the game timer reaches zero, the team with the most control time wins.

TNT factories: Some maps include TNT factories which supply the TNT necessary for kits with explosive weapons, i.e. the RPG. If the factory core node in side the factory is destroyed, the entire factory will detonate. If a team no longer has a TNT factory, kits with explosive weapons will not be available.

This server is community moderated. You can start a vote to kick a player only if they are hacking, using profanity or intentionally team killing. Use /vote_kick <playername> to start a vote to kick a player.

You can also start a vote to end the match by typing /vote

To vote yes or no to any vote, including a vote you started, you will need to type /yes or /no in your terminal.

To see a list of credits, type /credits

To see this information again, type /info

Last edited by ratmix on Sat Feb 23, 2019 04:10, edited 8 times in total.
King of the Hill :: Modern Warfare Server RATMIX.COM:30000 | King of the Hill Community Site

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: Testers needed for King of the Hill (Alpha) Server

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Tried it a little today. Had a lot of fun. Could use more players though
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Hello ratmix,

I am Thomas, was testing, but have no chat ... or no reaction about what I write.

So far I know Hill game, weapons i got, and also to craft some more items

lag 2.6 but me from far = RTT 289s
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

ratmix
In-game: ratmix

by ratmix » Post

@Thomas - Thanks for testing. The server is located in central US, so ping will be about that much to Europe.
Hope to see you Saturday.
King of the Hill :: Modern Warfare Server RATMIX.COM:30000 | King of the Hill Community Site

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

ratmix wrote:@Thomas - Thanks for testing. The server is located in central US, so ping will be about that much to Europe.
I joined from Thailand, so I use fiber via Taiwan, Hawaii, San Francisco
Europe comes via France/Britain ... from the West and should be like shown at server-list about 120 ms maybe.

I still search why my 5.0.0-dev Client Linux has no chat ... and no sound

edit: Saturday, February 23rd at 2:00pm Central US Central Time

link timeanddate.com/time/map

CST+6 = UTC = 8pm or 20:00
UTC+1 = CET = 9pm or 21:00 Middle Europe
UTC+7 = ICT = 4am or 04:00 at me Thailand = I am sleeping (or CST+13)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I will be there!

PS: You should use UTC by default, when announcing any event on the Internet. But thanks for recalculating @Festus1965.

ratmix

by ratmix » Post

Yeah sorry about the US central time thing - updated original post with Festus' times. I guess many players are in Europe so the time of day may have been less than ideal.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Ill try to be there.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

My unstructured quick and dirty review:

Bugs:
- The time notes/event messages at the top are doubled and spammy
- Many sounds are heared globally
- When you start swimming in water, you get 10/50 breath
- Kit name “grenadeer” is a typo, it should be “grenadier”
- Trapper kit has unknown item
- At start of game, this chat msg appears: “Match starts in 240 seconds”. This is a lie. It starts in 30s.
- Stamina does not reset after a new round starts or you respawn
- Most inventory goodies are broken or useless
- The inventory help talks about weird flag stuff
- Once ESC-ed away read the initial game rules, they are gone for good, with no chance to make them re-appear
- Some interactable blocks are broken. Example: Furnace, chests. Maybe remove all formspec magic from these blocks?
- Deathlog does not display all forms of death, e.g. due to an explosion of a mine
- When you dig in your base, there is some senseless message about a flag

Ugly:
- Chat commands are mandatory for kit selection
- Chat command is mandatory to see the ranking
- Kit selection is klunky due to annyoing chat commands. Kit selection must be FAST with 1-2 mouse clicks tops
- afkkick is too aggressive. You barely have enough time to read the initial rules!
- Too much chat spam with pointless “hint” messages that get repetitive after 10 minutes of playing. The tips get boring after the 200th time I saw them. Suggestion: Remove all hints (at least from chat)
- When you die, you don't see your dead body or the cause of death because you insta-teleport. You just ... die. Very frustrating to never know what hit you :-(
- You randomly switch teams all the time which is very confusing
- The damage/hit sound (when you hit an enemy) seems unreliable. Sometimes I hear the hit sound, sometimes I don't. I don't know the logic behind it
- All weapon shots seem laggy
- The bullets seem to be very slow. I find it very hard to hit anything that moves
- I find it very hard to remember which bullet type belongs to which weapon
- The whole game in general still needs a LOT of polish, but it seems to go kinda sorta in the right direction
- Medic seems massively OP and is very hard to kill due to all the food.
- If you start with a strong fighter kit and survive for 90 seconds, kits unlock again and you can select medic. Now you have lots of medipacks AND weapons and you're basically an unkillable murder machine
- Inventory management is time-consuming and potentially deadly. You can't afford to re-order your items in 5 seconds in a heavy battle.
- Ammo fills up precious hotbar slots
- It is not clear where the capture area begins and where it ends. If you step outside the capture area even just for 1 second, your capturing stops
- When the game goes down to 0, it shows “00:00:00” for a second, which is wider than the time field

Ideas:
- Add fast (!) kit selection. Pro-tip: A chat command is NOT fast. Maybe add special blocks in the base, one block for each kit. To equip a kit, just rightclick the corresponding block. Buttons in inventory would also be nice
- Add mod: show_wielded_item
- Show type of death/weapon in deathlog
- Make rankings available via GUI
- In general, make the game less dependent on chat commands. You could still them as alternative if you want
- Display health of your team mates, very important for medics
- Display damage you dealt after a successful hit, like in Xonotic
- In HUD, make visible the remaining ammo
- The game should automatically select maps based on the number of players. Huge maps should not be played if there are only 2 players.
- Revert max. breath back to default. Max. breath of 50 means you can dive in water for way over 100 seconds!!

General comments: The general game idea seems quite fun, but the overall execution still seems pretty klunky.
The biggest problem with the game atm are the laggy and slow bullets which make it hard to hit anything. This is definitely not the same gameplay as with your average first-person shooter, which are much smoother.
I think the general klunkyness is also due to Minetest's server-only architecture, you can't do much about it atm. Minetest is clearly never meant for first-person shooter style games. ;-)
Don't get me wrong, I still had some fun in the about 3 hours I playtested the game, despite the clunkyness.
There's a lot of weapons to choose from. It takes a while to get used to them. It would be nice if there would be a list of all weapons somewhere, so they can be easily compared. It is clear this game is best played with lots of players. It is very boring for 1vs1 or 2vs2 matches.
But the game still needs a lot of work and polish for it to “feel” like a real action game.

The sound system is also very broken and inconsistent and I have no idea if I have even hit anything. It needs rework badly. What the game also lacks is polish of the user interface. Especially the event messages are all over the place, and the chat is abused too much as well. In general, important game events should be printed in the center, like Xonotic does. Otherwise, they can be missed too easily.

The top time bar looks nice, but it could be still improved:
Show the current “score” of each team on the colorful bars (“score” = number of seconds owning the capture point). So you can always see who is ahead. The message that says “XX:XX remaining until team Y wins” can be removed then (as its redundant).

The maps are huge which is fine if you have lots of players, but not fine for small games. There should be smaller arenas.

Anyway, as this is probably a very early version of the game, I hope it will be improved in future. Bye.

ratmix

by ratmix » Post

Thanks Wuzzy and everyone who helped test today. And Wuzzy, many thanks for taking the time to make that fantastic detailed list of bugs and improvement suggestions! Many great points.

The server will now remain live 24/7. I hope to have a Beta test session in the next couple of weeks.

I was able to make a long list of improvements as well from today's testing.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

oh that was a long and massive list ...
I am from so far, sorry if difficult to kill me, lag RTT 280 most.
Trapper kit, yes one unknown item at first position

but as some think this is more a killing map/server than i see already complaints about hiding, using trapper to get under the zone
like german gamers complain on CtF about tunneling ...

It is possible, and it is not a fault ... but with people like this ... better not game. Good luck

Client:
- linux 5.0.0-dev-0ad96cc - have no sound, no main chat, only team
try now
- win - 5.0.0.bba4563 (most used on all PC here, running good)

ratmix

by ratmix » Post

@Festus - Just fixed the missing item. Players cannot hide under the CP, you must be at or above the CP HUD waypoint to start occupation. Thanks for the feedback.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

ratmix wrote:@Festus - Players cannot hide under the CP, you must be at or above the CP HUD waypoint to start occupation. Thanks for the feedback.
Above ... how far distance allowed ? hehe

ratmix

by ratmix » Post

Festus1965 wrote:Above ... how far distance allowed ? hehe
Each map has a different CP area, but it typically extends 5-10 nodes above the top of the CP structure, to allow for building sniper towers, etc.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

ratmix wrote:... to allow for building sniper towers, etc.
thought for hiding, up to 28 distance we had ...
then i trained explosives and found some fun storage of the TNT haha, and tried to disappear hill counting area ... with a big hole under ... haha, worked ... so far enought for today ... I am not the fast crash shuting gamer anymore, still sniper, tunneling ... take time

Coder12

by Coder12 » Post

I noticed that empty gun shells are ejected from the back of the players head.
Spoiler
Attachments
screenshot_20190301_185214.png
screenshot_20190301_185214.png (364.95 KiB) Viewed 712 times

ratmix

by ratmix » Post

Coder12 wrote:I noticed that empty gun shells are ejected from the back of the players head.
Thanks for that. Yeah I just noticed yesterday, will work on a fix.

UPDATE for the server:
We have added a new map "LavaWars"...
Spawn loadout provides 3 wood boats. Capture the Ship at CP. TNT factory cores located in ships adjacent to each spawn ship. Supply crates found in the map will provide a few special items (working on crate functionality now)

Please report any issues with the map.