[Mod] Skinsdb [skinsdb]

kurktu
In-game: kurktu

Re: [Mod] Skinsdb [skinsdb]

by kurktu » Post

bell07 wrote:By the way, I do not use the updater scripts anymore since the skinsdb supports the 1.8er skins. Now I just create and/or modify existing skins on https://minecraft.novaskin.me/ and use them. Preview file can be done using "Photo" functionality on the page.
Ahh ok thx, did that to create a cool skin for me now, albeit that approach contradicts the initial idea of skinsdb already written in the name and initial post, that is syncs with a database automatically. :D

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

albeit that approach contradicts the initial idea of skinsdb already written in the name and initial post, that is syncs with a database automatically. :D
I newer used the word "automatically" :D

My approach is changed. Prevous I was happy to have as many skins as possible, now since I had many skins I start to choose and pick. But the mod is still useable in previous approach. It would be nice to have a novaskin downloader ;-)

hajo

by hajo » Post

bell07 wrote:1325 skins as of 08.02.2018
Many skins look very similar, but appear on different pages of the list,
so it is hard to compare.

It would be nice to be able to sort / group skins by appearance,
eg green/blue/black shirts, etc.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

The skins updater/grabber scripts are removed all because of incompatible license reasons. New GPL-3 compatible updaters welcome.

bell07

Re: [Mod] Skinsdb [skinsdb] HELP

by bell07 » Post

Please provide skins that I can add to this mod!

Since the Skin updater scripts are removed, there is no easy provided skins anymore with this mod. Installing skins is manual effort on files level.
For the new Content database I think we need to add some pre-installed skins to the package. I think at least 4 (2x male, 2x female). Since 1.8er skins are supported I prefer this format.
This is an appeal for default skins to be pre-installed with this mod. I need the
- Skin file (png)
- Skin preview file (front foto) to be shown in inventory *_preview.png
- Skin name
- Author
- License

TillCoyote

by TillCoyote » Post

bell07 wrote:Please provide skins that I can add to this mod!

Since the Skin updater scripts are removed, there is no easy provided skins anymore with this mod. Installing skins is manual effort on files level.
For the new Content database I think we need to add some pre-installed skins to the package. I think at least 4 (2x male, 2x female). Since 1.8er skins are supported I prefer this format.
This is an appeal for default skins to be pre-installed with this mod. I need the
- Skin file (png)
- Skin preview file (front foto) to be shown in inventory *_preview.png
- Skin name
- Author
- License
I recommend this: http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/

bell07

by bell07 » Post

TillCoyote wrote:U recommend this: http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/
The removed updater was working with this page and I still have my last export with ~1000 skins. But I disklike to add all of them to the mod.

I look for free 1.8er skins, and direct proposals which skin should be provided with skinsdb. 4-5 skins are enough.

Keep in mind it is for the content database version primary, whose player may no idea about placing files to folders and expect installed mod just works.

EDIT: Did anyone ever Sam for 1.8 model?

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Hey, I really like this mod and went to use it on a server i've made.
Why did you get rid of the update script?
I can make my own, but would like to know the reasoning?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

PolySaken wrote:Why did you get rid of the update script?
I can make my own, but would like to know the reasoning?
The reason was not compatible license.See https://github.com/minetest-mods/skinsdb/issues/19
New updaters are welcome: https://github.com/minetest-mods/skinsdb/issues/21

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

What wasn't compatible with What?
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

The slickest solution would of course be to extend ContentDB to index license-compatible player skins in its own section. =)

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

texmex wrote:The slickest solution would of course be to extend ContentDB to index license-compatible player skins in its own section. =)
Yes, and also have an api to get these skins

texmex

by texmex » Post

PolySaken wrote:
texmex wrote:The slickest solution would of course be to extend ContentDB to index license-compatible player skins in its own section. =)
Yes, and also have an api to get these skins
…during runtime!

bell07

by bell07 » Post

PolySaken wrote:What wasn't compatible with What?
The updater script license (CC-BY-NC-SA) is not compatible with the skinsdb mod license (GPLv3).

If you write new updater script, please license them to anything GPLv3 compatible.

texmex

by texmex » Post

bell07 wrote:
PolySaken wrote:What wasn't compatible with What?
The updater script license (CC-BY-NC-SA) is not compatible with the skinsdb mod license (GPLv3).

If you write new updater script, please license them to anything GPLv3 compatible.
Isn't GPL for graphics a bit weird?

bell07

by bell07 » Post

there should not be issue with the license of provided textures. I am about the script updater code license. Pls. read the github issues I posted above.

_E7

by _E7 » Post

bell07 wrote:there should not be issue with the license of provided textures. I am about the script updater code license. Pls. read the github issues I posted above.
I haven't seen the code that included the script but if we are talking about an external script i don't think there is a license problem. The GPL only triggers if you "link" to something. What "link" actually means is admittedly very vague in various contexts but bundling another standalone application is one of the cases where it's quite clear that no "linking" happens. Even interacting with said application through a "regular interface" (like command line arguments and reading output) should be perfectly fine regardless of the license of the target application.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

_E7 wrote:
bell07 wrote:there should not be issue with the license of provided textures. I am about the script updater code license. Pls. read the github issues I posted above.
I haven't seen the code that included the script but if we are talking about an external script i don't think there is a license problem. The GPL only triggers if you "link" to something. What "link" actually means is admittedly very vague in various contexts but bundling another standalone application is one of the cases where it's quite clear that no "linking" happens. Even interacting with said application through a "regular interface" (like command line arguments and reading output) should be perfectly fine regardless of the license of the target application.
I'm no legal acrobat, but it sounds like bell can put the updater back?

bell07

by bell07 » Post

The updaters was broken. I fixed the bash script updater but learned later I am not allowed to do that trough license :-/

_E7

by _E7 » Post

bell07 wrote:The updaters was broken. I fixed the bash script updater but learned later I am not allowed to do that trough license :-/
The shell script says it's under CreativeCommons-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. Why wouldn't you be allowed to modify it? All that needs to be done is keeping the license and attributing the original author. On top of that commercial use is disallowed but that obviously doesn't matter here.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

_E7 wrote:
bell07 wrote:The updaters was broken. I fixed the bash script updater but learned later I am not allowed to do that trough license :-/
The shell script says it's under CreativeCommons-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. Why wouldn't you be allowed to modify it? All that needs to be done is keeping the license and attributing the original author. On top of that commercial use is disallowed but that obviously doesn't matter here.
I thought NC wasn't allowed on the forums

_E7

by _E7 » Post

PolySaken wrote:
_E7 wrote:
I thought NC wasn't allowed on the forums
Oh, you know more than i do then. I haven't been here for long so i don't really know the local customs yet. I admit NC clauses are a bit messy and can be a headache. Technically it doesn't stop him from releasing patched versions though as long as he is not making money with it. If that renders his mod unwelcome on the forums is another question which i don't really know anything about though.

On a side note: Why do people have to select all those complicated licenses? In 99% of all cases it's not like they are going to enforce them if someone decides to ignore the requirements (if they even notice...). All they are doing is giving people headaches and wasting time of those who actually care enough to try to abide by their terms. If you are going to donate code to the public just slap something like 2/3 clause BSD on it and accept the fact that people are going to do as they please... /rant

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Not sure if this is the type of thing your after?

Drawn by me if you wish to use it, it's CC0/Public Domain

farmer.png
farmer.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
farmer_preview.png
farmer_preview.png (901 Bytes) Viewed 2410 times
edit:added a preview
Attachments
farmer_preview_preview.png
farmer_preview_preview.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
Last edited by sirrobzeroone on Sun May 26, 2019 05:56, edited 2 times in total.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Female Farmer

Same again CC0/Public Domain

farmer_female.png
farmer_female.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
farmer_female_preview.png
farmer_female_preview.png (783 Bytes) Viewed 2410 times
edit: added preview
Attachments
farmer_female_preview_preview.png
farmer_female_preview_preview.png (870 Bytes) Viewed 2410 times
Last edited by sirrobzeroone on Sun May 26, 2019 06:03, edited 1 time in total.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

CC0/public Domain

castaway.png
castaway.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
castway_preview.png
castway_preview.png (1013 Bytes) Viewed 2410 times
Attachments
castway_preview_preview.png
castway_preview_preview.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
Last edited by sirrobzeroone on Sun May 26, 2019 06:16, edited 2 times in total.