[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

by Andrey01 » Post

Chibi ghost wrote:sorry I did look but couldn't see it for the life of me
The download links are in first post where is written highlited word Download: in the description. Look for still time.

Gibeinumo

by Gibeinumo » Post

I currently discover features of this mod during survival gameplay and noticed that a worn off steel axe used to create coconut milk is replaced by a new steel axe. You might want to change that.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Does anybody have a minetest-mapper colors.txt file for this or the Plantlife modpack?

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

https://daconcepts.com/vanessa/hobbies/ ... colors.txt (1.3 MB file, about 29000 entries).

It covers virtually everything in Dreambuilder, in minetest_game 5.0.1, and that which is on my more esoteric Minetest servers (Banana Land and MTZ). I'm sure a few things are still missing, but this ought to do the job.

I just brought it up-to-date a day or two ago, in fact. It's what's used on my overview maps.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Fantastic! thanks.

LordVlad
In-game: LordVlad

by LordVlad » Post

I like this mod... all trees are amazing, but i hate the name of the saplings can be confused with default sapling :/.... maybe you can modify that later please..

greetings..

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

In this mod as of late last night, I have changed the names of minetest_game's "default apple" trees/saplings/etc. to remove "apple" from their names -- thus putting them back they way they were in 0.4.x -- since Moretrees has REAL apple trees (prior to the minetest_game devs making that change, those default trees were closer to walnut or beech than apple, at least when they had no apples present).

As far as I can see, there's no significant potential to confuse anything.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Chrozayis

by Chrozayis » Post

I'd really like to see this mod rebalanced to work better with v7 and carpathian.

Currently all the water-bound trees other that jungle are exceedingly rare to non-existant.
Exception being cedars in v7 and coconuts in carpathian, which I finally found after hours of searching, right next to an arctic biome :/
And sequoias are everywhere in carpathian.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod was written with mapgen v6 in mind -- v7 and carpathian didn't exist yet. Pull requests welcome. :-)

Chrozayis

by Chrozayis » Post

Is there a way to conveniently get the temperature and humidity values in game? It would be helpful.
On the other hand, I think the problem is with biome_lib, not so much moretrees.
Working on biome_lib's temperature and humidity maps is probably over my head for the time being.
The remaining option I see is to maintain a fork of moretrees that doesn't use the temperature and humidity features and abuses the near/avoid node features instead.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't think there are any helpers for reading-back biome_lib's temp/humidity noise, no. Should be easy to add, though. That said, what's really needed is to make biome_lib just use the engine's temperature/humidity maps instead of its own, for the mapgen in question, and use the engine's decorations feature where possible.

Mods would need tweaks to their biome definitions to best-fit the chosen mapgen, too.

Clyde
GitHub: acmgit
In-game: clyde

by Clyde » Post

Hi Vanessa,

has the functions to regrow the coconuts and dates of your mods some trouble?
When the trees are generated, they have coconuts and dates on it,
but if i take the nuts from the trees, the coconuts goes into the blossom and then it stuck.

Dates doing nothing after them.

Greetings, Clyde.
Attachments
moretrees.jpg
moretrees.jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
My Server: Welcome to Zeitsprung - deadsoft.org:49152 Jungle The next Gundul - jungle-tng.deadsoft.org:49152

Oblivious
In-game: Brielle

by Oblivious » Post

Vanessa, I recently discovered an annoying incompatibility (for lack of a better word) with a few of the tress that also have versions in default and ethereal.

There are trees that look the same, or at least their truck and planks do, namely Jungle in default, and Birch and
Palm in Ethereal. But the wood is not the same item, they don't stack, strangely I can't get cocoa to grow in the [moretrees] Jungle trees, and I can't make fences out of the wood though I can with their counterparts. (Of course I happened to find the wrong ones.)

Obviously you don't want it dependant on Ethereal, but is there some way you could make the wood function as the same item when you have both mods installed? The leaves and saplings can stay different since there's certainly a difference between the palm trees if not the birch trees.

Alternatively, you could give them a different texture to reinforce the fact they're not the same trees.But I don't think we want that.

I do love how you trees look and the diversity of them.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The default jungle tree issue has been fixed by a patch from flux, and he also submitted a patch (which I merged) to add moretrees fences, but I can't do anything about Ethereal

divergent43

by divergent43 » Post

Thank's for this mod, but i have a problem with rubber tree (i need it for technic), on valeys mapgen, after exploring more zone, i haven't found rubber tree.

Seed of mapgen valley game : 17186360690767309017

Chrozayis

by Chrozayis » Post

Technic disables its rubber tree generation if moretrees is present. You can disable this by going into your mods folder and editing mods/technic/technic_worldgen/init.lua

Here's what my tweaked version looks like:

Code: Select all

local modpath = minetest.get_modpath("technic_worldgen")

technic = rawget(_G, "technic") or {}
technic.worldgen = {
	gettext = rawget(_G, "intllib") and intllib.Getter() or function(s) return s end,
}

dofile(modpath.."/config.lua")
dofile(modpath.."/nodes.lua")
dofile(modpath.."/oregen.lua")
dofile(modpath.."/crafts.lua")

-- Rubber trees, moretrees also supplies these
--if not minetest.get_modpath("moretrees") then
--  dofile(modpath.."/rubber.lua")
--else
	-- older versions of technic provided rubber trees regardless
--	minetest.register_alias("technic:rubber_sapling", "moretrees:rubber_tree_sapling")
--	minetest.register_alias("technic:rubber_tree_empty", "moretrees:rubber_tree_trunk_empty")
--end

-- moretrees doesn't supply rubber properly on new worldgens
dofile(modpath.."/rubber.lua")
minetest.register_alias("technic:rubber_sapling", "moretrees:rubber_tree_sapling")
minetest.register_alias("technic:rubber_tree_empty", "moretrees:rubber_tree_trunk_empty")

-- mg suppport
if minetest.get_modpath("mg") then
	dofile(modpath.."/mg.lua")
end
I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it seems to be working.

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

Overall, I think this is my favorite of the mods I have experienced so far. (Other possible contenders include caverealms, moreores, unified inventory.) The moretrees mod does a really good job of enhancing surface exploration, greatly broadens the selection of available woods to build from, and does all this without fundamentally altering the design of the game: it remains a game of exploration, resource gathering, and building. Which is good. (If I wanted to play a game where you dig fifty tiles down, find the rarest materials in the game within the first five minutes, and then start working through a huge checklist of various glitch-exploiting infrastructure projects you feel like you have to do in order to have resources because just exploring to find and gather the resources the intended way isn't practical, I know where to find that game. Don't want to turn MTG into that, thanks anyway.)

But I do have some more detailed comments, and a couple of nits to pick.

* With v7 mapgen, I failed, after significant exploration, to find the following trees naturally occurring: date palm, rubber tree, poplar, apple. It's possible that they're just rare, which would be ok, so if other people are seeing them, don't mind me. Just providing data points. I did find all the others, some more readily than others. (Having some things be more rare than others is actually good, IMO. It incentivizes exploration early, because you start finding things, then continues incentivizing more exploration, because you can still find more things.) Also, it's possible that v7's tendency to make sheer cliff faces is making certain elevations (and the trees that would spawn there) much rarer than they would be in some of the other mapgens. (I have *briefly* explored other mapgens but haven't spent much time in them, and am internally debating which one to use the next time I start a world that I intend to spend significant time in. Am willing to consider suggestions of which mapgen would yield the best variety of terrains; I particularly would like my world to have both flat areas and tall mountains, a wide variety of biomes, etc. Having both oceans and also higher-elevation lakes and rivers would be a nice bonus.)

* I looked at the tree models, and I am somewhat baffled. I doubt if this is the mod's fault; but it feels unfortunate that the format for that is so non-human-readable. Also, I haven't finished reading the lua documentation and MT modding guide yet, but if there's a specific place where this is documented, I wouldn't mind a pointer.

* I think overall my favorite of the trees added in this mod, is the willow. Its overall shape is just *such* a good match for how willow trees look IRL; and it's just about the right balance of rare-but-not-impossible-to-find, and consistently spawns near water, which is exactly right. I don't think it would be possible to do a significantly better willow tree, within the limits of the fundamental design of the game (working entirely with large cubes, using 16px square textures, perf issues, etc.)

* My least favorite is the oak, for a couple of reasons. My least important criticism here is, it doesn't look like an oak to me. Oak trees that I have seen (including red oak, black oak, white oak) are shaped much more toward tall/skinny than this, are much more irregularly shaped (way less spherical) and have a MUCH higher ratio of leaf-to-branch. Somewhat more seriously, the oak plank texture is just a little too high-contrast; those black grooves between the planking just stand out too much, making it very busy if you build anything more than one block across with it. But the biggest issue is, I don't like the game balance property of making harvesting wood literally faster and more repetitive than quarrying stone, because stone has more interruptions in it (gravel, sand, caverns, etc.) compared to these oak trees, which are just layer after layer of row after row of column after column of pretty much nothing but logs (a few leaves at the edges), and several steel axes later you have a chest full of oak logs. I don't mind some trees being easier to bulk-harvest than others (that's true in vanilla, certainly, and variety is good in any case), but this oak just takes it too far.

* The date palm has an interrupted trunk, i.e., the trunk goes up for a ways, and then there's leaves and air for several blocks, and then one more block of trunk higher up. This seems to be consistent, and I can't help but wonder if it's intentional, or a bug. I've never seen a date palm in real life (I live in a temperate region), but this seems sufficiently odd to me, that I thought I'd mention it.

* I think this mod is responsible for the fact that jungle trees now come in a somewhat wider variety of shapes and especially sizes. If so, could something similar be done for the pine? The scale of the moretrees trees just makes the pines seem like they're not in proportion. Having some of them be small is fine, but it'd be nice if there were some larger ones too. Pines should not be as large as something like sequoia, but the tallest ones should be of similar height to an oak or birch or cedar, but with more of a straight/vertical shape. (The _shapes_ of pines in vanilla are fine, IMO; only their size seems like it should be scaled up to match the moretrees trees.) The default tree (assuming it's not altogether phased out in favor of beech) seems more reasonable, even though it's shorter, because it has apples, which brings me to my next point:

* The moretrees apple trees seem larger than any apple tree I've ever seen. Apple is one of the smaller trees IRL, seldom taller than a two-story house, less than half the height of something like a poplar or aspen or oak or maple. Speaking of poplar, it should be _skinny_ compared to other trees, but I question whether it should be shorter on average than aspen or birch.

* Although I don't know enough about jungles to be specific (again, I live in a temperate zone), I'd kind of like to see the generic "jungle tree" replaced with several actual specific types of trees that normally grow in jungles.

* And if I can wish for the moon, and if it's possible to make a type of tree exceptionally rare to encounter naturally (perhaps via a particularly unusual combination of humidity, temperature, and elevation?), I'd like to see a type of tree that looks like the ones from The Lorax. With the really narrow trunks and the fluffy, fluffy top parts. I know, I know. I can dream. I've wanted one of those trees in my yard since I was a kid.

* With a couple of exceptions, the artwork for the saplings seems not as good as the rest of the artwork (leaves, trunks, planks, etc.), and also not as good as the vanilla saplings. But I don't have the artistic skill to do better.

Anyway, thanks for this mod, and I hope it continues to be maintained. It's one of the best mods I've found, and I think it's my personal favorite so far.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The trees all use Minetest's L-system language, a sort of procedural, almost fractal-like thing. I absolutely suck at using that language, hence RealBadAngel did most of the models. :-)

Jungle trees: yep, it adds its own version of those. The variable size trick can be used for some others as well, but, I seem to recall having removed pines, in favor of the ones provided by minetest_game.

Oaks and apple trees: yeah, I'm not happy with them either, never have been, but see above.

Palms are kind of a screwy situation, since they need to "lean" to look right, which is very difficult in an environment with 1m-cube resolution. :-)

Mapgen v7: well, trees spawn according to biome_lib's rules, and it doesn't play well with mgv7 (unless there's been some update I've forgotten about), so if a tree isn't showing up, that's why. That said, that's also your door for adding those Lorax trees ("truffula" is the fictional species you're looking for). Just don't go making any Thneeds with them. :-P

Saplings: yeah I... kinda half-assed their textures here and there.

I'm always open to pull requests to fix these things. :-)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

The trees all use Minetest's L-system language, a sort of procedural, almost fractal-like thing. I absolutely suck at using that language, hence RealBadAngel did most of the models. :-)

Jungle trees: yep, it adds its own version of those. The variable size trick can be used for some others as well, but, I seem to recall having removed pines, in favor of the ones provided by minetest_game.

Oaks and apple trees: yeah, I'm not happy with them either, never have been, but see above.

Palms are kind of a screwy situation, since they need to "lean" to look right, which is very difficult in an environment with 1m-cube resolution. :-)

Mapgen v7: well, trees spawn according to biome_lib's rules, and it doesn't play well with mgv7 (unless there's been some update I've forgotten about), so if a tree isn't showing up, that's why. That said, that's also your door for adding those Lorax trees ("truffula" is the fictional species you're looking for). Just don't go making any Thneeds with them. :-P

Saplings: yeah I... kinda half-assed their textures here and there.

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

VanessaE wrote:The trees all use Minetest's L-system language, a sort of procedural, almost fractal-like thing. I absolutely suck at using that language, hence RealBadAngel did most of the models. :-)
From the brief look at it that I took, it doesn't seem easy, yeah.
I'm ok with the coconut palms. The limits of working in a cube-grid world, are what they are. I think the coconut palms are a reasonable execution of that tree type, within that framework. Though, I live in Ohio, so I am not to be taken as some kind of expert on palm trees. I don't see them IRL.
Ah. If only I had the artistic skill to go for the sapling images. But alas.

I will contemplate thinking about pondering the possibility of considering the option of maybe looking for some documentation on this L-system DSL, but I make no promises.

And don't worry: I have no need, for a thneed :-)

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

jonadab wrote:
VanessaE wrote:The trees all use Minetest's L-system language, a sort of procedural, almost fractal-like thing...
From the brief look at it that I took, it doesn't seem easy, yeah.
Actually, upon closer inspection, it's not nearly as bad as I first feared. It appears to be based on those old "Turtle graphics" systems that were used when teaching introductory computer programming on 8-bit micros, in combination with languages like BASIC and Pascal. This would be terrible, except that it has position/orientation push/pop, so each part of the model can be treated as more or less independent. So it's not so bad. The randomness mechanism is clunky (you get to define four rules, a-d, each of which has a different percentage chance to happen when called), but apart from that, this seems workable.

So I am messing around a bit with the date palm model. Thoughts?

(For future reference, the above two screenshots correspond to the state of the date palm model as it exists in commit 9917c92d114d.)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Looks good to me. :-)

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

The apple and oak trees are going to take more time to get right. In addition to a bug that happens about half the time, wherein leaves only appear above and below branches and never beside them, I think my current apple tree model is overcorrected and is now too small, though perhaps (if I can fix the bug) it could be a dwarf or semi-dwarf variant? Not sure. We'll see what else I come up with. Here's a screenshot showing two apple trees, one of which shows the bug, and the other not.

Those both came from this version of the model:

Code: Select all

moretrees.apple_tree_model={
        axiom="TTFcAFcbF",
        rules_a="[&&&D][&&&++++d][&&&----d]",
        rules_b="[&&&++d][&&&--d][&&&------d]",
        rules_c="F[---f][+++f]",
        rules_d="FFccc&&Fccc",
        trunk="moretrees:apple_tree_trunk",
        leaves="moretrees:apple_tree_leaves",
        angle=30,
        iterations=1,
        random_level=0,
        trunk_type="single",
        thin_branches=true,
        fruit="default:apple",
        fruit_chance=15,
}
Progress on the oak is even slower, but nonzero. I think I am going to try turning thin branches on; as much as I think thick branches make more sense for oak than for most other tree types, it appears to be making them nearly as thick as the trunk, which is really too much. Perhaps I can tweak the model to create merely double-wide branches.

jonadab

by jonadab » Post

Ok, working on oaks, and I am playing around with several different tree models at once now.
Relevant code snippet:
http://jonadab.jumpingcrab.com/pastebin/1167.txt

To facilitate discussion, I've color-coded the trunks so we can easily tell which model is which in the screenshots:
ImageImage

Clearly I'm not done yet. But I think I have reached the point where I need feedback to help me decide how to proceed with regards to model C (the ones with the yellow trunks). Closer-in shots of just those:
ImageImage

And one shot with the leaves removed, so you can see the branch structure better:

Thoughts?
Last edited by jonadab on Tue Apr 28, 2020 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Hard to say for sure, but I think they look pretty decent; every oak tree I've ever seen was sprawling and all "scraggly" -- so your blue-trunk and yellow-trunk ones look promising. You might thin out the upper branches a little on the yellow ones?