[Mod] Crafting Guide [2.0] [craftguide]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.4] [craftguide]

by Wuzzy » Post

Awesome! It's great to see you are working on this mod again.

The fact that progressive mode now remembers your progress is very good and crucial. The previous behaviour wasn't really useful, as you had to mess around with your inventory all the time and look again and again in craftguide to see if something has changed. This forced me to (sadly) disable Progressive Mode in MCL2 a long time ago. Looks like I can revert this step finally. :-)
Now progressive mode is actually useful and it allows to add a true spoiler-free craft guide to games. That's awesome! Something that I always wanted.
It always bothered me with craftguides these days that they overwhelm players with millions of recipes when they don't even know yet what a torch is. xD

The new graphical improvements are pretty good. First of all, the arrow goes in the right direction, yay!
The new default size is better, the old one was annoyingly too small.
The use of icons is pretty neat as well. I noticed you also use tooltip for the tiny informational icons.
Maybe the icon for “shapeless” needs explanation, I doubt everyone knows what this word “Shapelss” means. Maybe a short (!) sentence could help: “Shapeless recipe: Items can be arranged at will”.
I like the idea with the “bonus flame”. I would have not come up with it myselves, but it surely is useful. The mod is basically saying: “Oh, by the way, this item is a fuel, too. You're welcome!” xD
I also noticed that the “fuel” usage always comes last in the list. This is a clever attention to detail. It was a bit annoying that fuel came first before.
One minor complaint: The fire icon does not have such a tooltip yet, I wanna bet it was just forgotten? Also, I think it seems fitting to remove the “Burning time” from the item icon, and to write it below the flame icon instead. For example: “15 s”. But maybe only under the “big” fire icon to keep visual clutter as low as possible.

The idea of recipe filters seems awesome, but how do players access these? Is this integrated in the formspec or do I have to somehow code some external formspec magic to allow the player to choose?

In the advanced settings, there is no description for the settings. Please add these, the names are not self-explanatory.

But one thing that always irritated me in this mod is that when you just click through the icons, the craftguide often “randomly” hops between “Recipe” and “Usage” mode. In the item list, items which can be crafted are mixed with items that can not be crafted, only be used. So these are two entirely different meanings mixed in the same list.

I find the way that Unified Inventory deals with this much more logical. First, it never “randomly” switches from Recipe to Usage mode, you have to explicitly instruct to do so. Also, if there are no uses/recipes, it shows a special icon for that instead of forcefully switching modes against the user's wishes.
As for repeat clicking on the same icon: I think it would be better to use it to cycle through the alternatives instead of switching the mode. Clicking through all alternatives is a task you need to do way more often than to switch the modes.
Mode switching is something you usually tend to do less often, so it should only happen if you click that bottom on the bottom left.

Oh yeah, that button on the bottom left. It could be improved as well: Please add a forwards/backwards button, this will be helpful for items with insane amounts of recipes.
Also add a button to explictly switch modes. It says “Show uses (X)” or “Show recipes (X)”, where “X” is the number of recipes or uses available.

Woah, I did write a lot, but I have to say, I like the new improvements a lot. I will probably use the new version in MCL2.

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

Thanks for your feedback :)
The idea of recipe filters seems awesome, but how do players access these? Is this integrated in the formspec or do I have to somehow code some external formspec magic to allow the player to choose?
You don't have to do anything with the formspec. This is all about dealing with an array of items that you filtered in your own way. That is all.
I find the way that Unified Inventory deals with this much more logical. First, it never “randomly” switches from Recipe to Usage mode, you have to explicitly instruct to do so.
This implies to add a dedicated button for that. And for ergonomical reasons, I refuse to add a new button. "Randomly" is the wrong term to describe the current behavior, you knowingly *chose* to alternate between recipes and usages.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

"Randomly" is the wrong term to describe the current behavior, you knowingly *chose* to alternate between recipes and usages.
No. Just click through all item buttons in order, one click on each button. Sometimes the mode switches, sometimes it doesn't. This is freaking me out! XD Hardly it way my explicit choice to jump between modes, and this behaviour is not predictable unless you already know already all recipes (which you don't).

I know it's not really “random”, but it “feels” random because I cannot predict when a click is going to switch mode or not.
This implies to add a dedicated button for that. And for ergonomical reasons, I refuse to add a new button.
Well, I have explained why the current design is not optimal either. Clicking on the same item icon multiple times switches modes, but this is not optimal ImO.
So for the more common use case of cycling thru all alternatives, you have to move the mouse and click on the button on the bottom left. This is one step more than cycling thru all the alternatives by repeated clicking.
If you want to quickly cycle thru the alternatives of ALL items, you have to move the mouse to the special button every time you selected a new item. This quickly gets tedious.
Granted, if you want to switch the mode, a single click (no mouse movement) is enough, but my argument is that this mode switching you need to do much less often.

How about just flipping the meaning? If you click repeatedly on an item, it cycles thru alternatives, and if u click on the icon on the bottom right, it toggles the mode.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

Just click through all item buttons in order, one click on each button. Sometimes the mode switches, sometimes it doesn't.
I think this is the expected behavior. Some items have no recipes, but only usages.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

w00t! checking out new changes :) thanks jp.

Note: Definitely a lot faster although had to tweak a few lines to work on 0.4.17 :)

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

although had to tweak a few lines to work on 0.4.17
There is a 0.4.17 branch already: https://github.com/minetest-mods/craftguide/tree/0.4.17

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.5] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

craftguide 1.5 released!
  • Some cleanups and fixes to the Progressive Mode.
  • Use the engine translator instead of intllib.
  • Added french translations.
  • Added an API call to open the crafting guide.
  • Added an API for custom formspec elements.
  • Added an API for search filters.

gigomaf

by gigomaf » Post

I'm using Inventory plus, Skins and Craft guide mods. If I click Craft guide tab, and I click back to Crafting tab, then my Skins button permanently disappears. Are thery any compatible versions of those mods?

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

gigomaf wrote:I'm using Inventory plus, Skins and Craft guide mods. If I click Craft guide tab, and I click back to Crafting tab, then my Skins button permanently disappears. Are thery any compatible versions of those mods?

[img]hxxps://i.postimg.cc/SRp9XXkN/screenshot-20190505-105534.jpg[/img]
I added a pointless button to the inv+ formspec
it does nothing, but when you push it the buttons will reload

here is my altered version of Inv++ if you want to look at it for some ideas
not sure if its still compatible with recent updates, haven't messed with it in awhile.

gigomaf

by gigomaf » Post

Thanks :) It's working well even without clicking on reload button. In addition it eliminates error during viewing pages on ALL tab in creative mode :)

vincentux
GitHub: vincentux

by vincentux » Post

Bonjour,

I get a mistake when I start the game with this mod. (see attachment)
I use Minetest version 0.4.17.1 under Xubuntu 18.10
How can I fix this problem?
2019-05-08_17-13-44.png
2019-05-08_17-13-44.png (30.57 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Vincentux.

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.5.1] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

craftguide 1.5.1 released

This minor update brings a few polishes, cleanups and fixes.
vincentux wrote: I get a mistake when I start the game with this mod. (see attachment)
I use Minetest version 0.4.17.1 under Xubuntu 18.10
How can I fix this problem?
This has been fixed by now.

vincentux
GitHub: vincentux

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.5.1] [craftguide]

by vincentux » Post

Great,
thank you for this quick fix.

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.6] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.6 released!
  • Added a new Minecraft-like way of registering custom crafts. Example:

Code: Select all

craftguide.register_craft({
    	grid = {
    		"X  #",
    		" ## ",
    		"X#X#",
    		"X  X",
    	},
    	key = {
    		['#'] = "default:wood",
    		['X'] = "default:glass",
    	},
    	result = "default:mese 3",
    })

• Added a smooth-sliding Steam-like HUD for new discovered recipes in Progressive Mode:

Enjoy!

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Excellent! I totally love how this mod is actively developed!

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Woot, sliding HUD elements? Do they work satisfactory in multiplayer too?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

jp, thanks for continuing to work on this mod. Its a really nice addition to MT.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I am very skeptical of this change. Won't this be uber laggy in online multiplayer? How does it work? Because moving HUD elements are not supported in Minetest. So I fear you would be forced to send a round-trip for, like, every frame, every 20 frames, or so.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I am very skeptical of this change. Won't this be uber laggy in online multiplayer? How does it work? Because moving HUD elements are not supported in Minetest. So I fear you would be forced to send a round-trip for, like, every frame, every 20 frames, or so.
Exactly this. I would opt for a static notification element.

This, again, also calls for a unified, stackable and API-enabled notifications system of HUD elements for any mod that don't want to spam with chat messages, instead of inventing yet another single-mod notifier. It's begging to be made :D

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

I'd like to get feedbacks from actual server operators and online players about the smoothness of this sliding HUD element.

Or I could just add a new function (hud_move) to the engine.

texmex

by texmex » Post

jp wrote:Or I could just add a new function (hud_move) to the engine.
Do you mean like a client-side function for sliding HUD elements around? That would be great as it animated elements would have a lot of use cases and improve UX in general.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

Yes, the HUD is client-side, but the function calls from the server. That would be only 2 calls for the notification's back and forth versus tens of calls.
Last edited by jp on Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:42, edited 2 times in total.

texmex

by texmex » Post

jp wrote:Yes, the HUD is client-side. That would be only 2 calls for the notification's back and forth versus tens of calls.
Then yes please! Animate all the HUDs!!

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.7] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.7 released!
  • The UI has been significantly improved.
  • Custom recipes can now be registered in-game dynamically.
  • The craftguide can now display recipes up to 8x8 items (without any slowdown for custom recipes).
  • Added an API to set a custom background.
  • Changed craftguide sign's texture.
Enjoy!

zing269

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.7] [craftguide]

by zing269 » Post

Getting this error:

Code: Select all

ERROR[Main]: Invalid background element(5): '1,1;1,1;craftguide_bg_full.png;true;10'
and sure enough there is no background