[Mod] Internationalization Library [intllib]

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: game_intllib - Re: [Mod] Internationalization Library [i

by Linuxdirk » Post

snoopy wrote:Futhermore, the intllib by @kaeza is a reliable and helpful tool and seems to be both robust and compliant to the GNU gettext tool chain.
Keep in mind that intllib is entirely server-side and forces whatever locale is set on the server to the clients. So intllib is best for singleplayer or for servers that are specifically for speakers of the language whatever the locale of the server is for.
snoopy wrote:I would welcome any advice on how to improve the MT translation efforts.
Contribute here: https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/

snoopy

Re: game_intllib - Re: [Mod] Internationalization Library [i

by snoopy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
snoopy wrote:Futhermore, the intllib by @kaeza is a reliable and helpful tool and seems to be both robust and compliant to the GNU gettext tool chain.
Keep in mind that intllib is entirely server-side and forces whatever locale is set on the server to the clients. So intllib is best for singleplayer or for servers that are specifically for speakers of the language whatever the locale of the server is for.
Thank you. However, this is just my intention in continuity and the goal of my little project as mentioned before.
Linuxdirk wrote:
snoopy wrote:I would welcome any advice on how to improve the MT translation efforts.
Contribute here: https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/minetest/
Thank you and I was already aware of this (see my above ref).

Please note:
Fortunately, there is a reference to the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 a.k.a. "GDPR" in addition to the WL license agreement.

Unfortunately, the WL license agreement seems to be somewhat outdated and AFAIK does not provide a clear statement on Creative Commons policies for sharing information. Furthermore, the WL site specifically applies the CZ Civil Code and this could be acceptable but should first be agreed by the MT team or MT community.

As license issues are standard topic of FOSS projects and MT in particular, I am unsure how to procede.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Internationalization Library [intllib]

by Wuzzy » Post

The translations are under LGPLv2.1+.
Just click on the “Information” tab.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

What is 'game_intllib' and why a MT translation effort?

What is the discussion about?

One may ask, what is at the core of the discussion in this forum topic? Why the proposed need for a translation in Minetest anyway?

Why a 'game_intllib' mod for the minetest_game default mods tree? What is the purpose of the above mentioned (a.m.) so called S("string") enclosure to user-facing strings and why could this be helpful for a translation?

At the core of the discussion lies the demand of freedom to enjoy MT in your language of choice.

You are invited to contribute

This is about the Minetest (MT) game software and how to improve the user experience for any player of the game.

The normal user of MT games may seek some better understanding or may find a way to contribute to the upcoming translation efforts in the future. A free software project needs contributions in many ways and you are invited. Please note one can contribute to a translation without any knowledge of computer programming. How to get involved and further information:
Translation efforts and code development

MT is a Free and open source software (FOSS) and this definition starts with the word "Free" and one should acknowledge the liberty of choice.

Thank you in advance and happy hacking.

Apparently, the combined task of software translation needs some help by the developers to help translators in catching all user-facing strings. It would be good to see co-working and to build a team.

Furthermore, readers with some development skills may follow the technical principles discussed in the tutorial and the code examples included. Some more ambitious translator-developer may even use this tutorial to test the included example code with a MT client at your own risk.

A little tutorial on MT software translation (part 1)

Please note:
This text and the tutorial are WIP i.e. work in progress. I will irregularly edit and plan to gradually improve the text.

Introduction

Please be aware, this is for educational and experimental purposes only. This is not an official MT development documentation.

This little tutorial is about software translation to the Minetest (MT) game software engine functionalities and how to improve the user experience for any player of the game. The MT game is made happen by software. The GUI i.e. the graphical user interface of the MT game is divided into the outer GUI of the client (the MT client window) and the GUI in the inner world view of the MT client (the view on the world, player hand and tools, inventory etc.).

The so called mods (short for modifications or modules) are the foundation of games which add or modify various features. Here you find the actual source code of games. Players can also add additional own mods to extend a particular game.

As an english person you may be fully happy with the MT game certainly in the current 5.0.1 stable version. As somebody from a different background you may enjoy the experience of a MT game but at the same time would welcome a MT game GUI and MT interaction with phrases in your language of choice. This is why we discuss translation and why we should have a look into the MT software.

The MT software and translation

The MT game and translation

The developers of the software code of the MT game (comprising the core code and the minetest_game code) for historically and other reasons started the project by use of the EN locale i.e. English language. This is quite natural and most software programming languages (like C and Lua) are using english words for the text syntax of source code anyway. Unfortunately, this leads to some complex issues if you want to improve and to translate in a situation where you have a huge amount of source code for a well established software project and many users of many languages.

In general one should consider the GNU gettext project & documentation for further information.

All main functionality of a MT game world is established by Lua code. The view of many flowers which look as if growing in some biomes can only be enjoyed because the 'flower' mod provides the code to make this happen in a nice way. The player's creative inventory GUI is provided by a 'creative' mod in a similar way.

The mods 'game_intllib' and 'intllib'

This forum topic of '[Mod] Internationalization Library [intllib]' and the 'intllib' mod were established by @kaeza as developer. IMHO the 'intllib' mod is a reliable and helpful tool and I have found it to be both robust and compliant to the GNU gettext tool chain.

My 'game_intllib' mod is a derivation of the 'intllib' mod and just a small migration of the original code. The deviation from 'intllib' is for technical reasons only and I may explain more on this later. Please note the basics of this little tutorial are nothing new and obviously have been the basis to the development of 'intllib' in the past already.

The 'game_intllib' mod is for translation inside the default minetest_game mod tree and not for other mods. For external mods one should make use of the original 'inttlib' mod in continuity without interference to the game_intllib mod and it's functions.

Example (1): The MT inventory GUI

The MT creative inventory GUI

Anybody playing MT in the creative mode is aware of the creative inventory of the GUI in the MT client. There are five main tabs named 'Crafting', 'All', 'Nodes', 'Tools' and 'Items'. You may start your MT client and may start a game play in creative mode and have a look. The inventory GUI is popping up as you type the 'I' command key and is providing a view on crafting and items.

This is all fine. But how could we translate the names of the a.m. five tabs if we seek so?

The phrases and names like any other text of a GUI have a representation in software called 'string'. If we want to change the name of a tab we have to find the applicable string defined inside the software code and should change the text of the string respectively.

All the main functionality of a MT game world is established by Lua code. The creative inventory GUI is provided by the 'creative' mod which is located as a folder creative inside the minetest_game mod tree. You could take a look into your files or browse online into the GitHub repository to find the ./minetest_game/mods/creative path for the current minetest_game-5.0.1 version. In the folder creative as with any MT mod there is a file named init.lua which is the entry point for the functionality of this piece of software.

For the benefit of this example we will momentarily ignore the file init.lua and will have a look into the file inventory.lua instead. However, we will come back to the file init.lua later as we will learn that software translation is a more complex task as it may look at first glance.

Like inventory.lua all main functionality of a MT game world is established by Lua code. This is called the source code of the MT software. This source code is just readable text in a strange format called the Lua software syntax (that is why the file suffix is '.lua' and not '.txt' but nevertheless it is holding text). You can have a look into the source code i.e. text of such a file by help of a text editor of your choice.

How to find the name i.e. the string "All" for the a.m. tab named "All" now? If you have a look into inventory.lua you will find many words containing "all" like "allow" or "all" or other. That is why we make a more targeted search (you may call it advanced search) for the 'entire word' and the 'Case sensitive' word "All" explicitly.

The explicit search for "All" in the file inventory.lua will give you this code segment:

Code: Select all

creative.register_tab("all", "All", minetest.registered_items)
creative.register_tab("nodes", "Nodes", minetest.registered_nodes)
creative.register_tab("tools", "Tools", minetest.registered_tools)
creative.register_tab("craftitems", "Items", minetest.registered_craftitems)
So we are lucky and did find all four names of the creative inventory GUI in one place. But wait, did I not mention five main tabs (see above) and not only four tabs? We will come back to this later again as translation of software is a more complex task.

From some common knowledge in coding and from this specific code line we can presume the name "All" of the a.m. tab is defined by the second argument of function creative.register_tab which is just the "All" string.

creative.register_tab("all", "All", minetest.registered_items)
One could now change this user-facing string (i.e. the EN word "All" as the string "All" in the second argument of function creative.register_tab in the above code line) to a word in one's language of choice. The same would apply to the three other lines of codes and the user-facing strings "Nodes", "Tools" and "Items" respectively.

On to software translation and a language of choice: The capitalized EN word "All" is a pronoun and could presumably become PT "Tudo" or FR "Toutes" or PL "Wszystko" or HE "הכל" or RU "Всё" or ZH "凡事" or ST "tsohle" or JA "すべて" or DE "Alles" or other. Please accept my apologies in advance if one of this examples may be incorrect or you do not find your preferred language included. The two-letter ISO 639-1 codes apply and you should note ISO 639 is a standardized nomenclature used to classify natural languages.

Obviously, the MT software translation like other software translation needs a sustainable solution for a flexible translation.

A bad idea and poor approach

An impatient and quite ambitious translator-developer may want to experiment with this example already. You can do this at your own risk and should make a copy of the MT game installation under a different name on your computer. Do not make changes to files of the official MT installation as this may easily break the installation and you would be blocked from enjoying the MT gaming experience in the meantime unfortunately.

In the exemplary DE locale i.e. the German language one appropriate word for the EN pronoun "All" as the name of the a.m.tab is "alles" or more specific the capitalized DE pronoun "Alles" in this case. As an obvious solution we could just put the word "Alles" into the string for a DE i.e. German translation instead of the word "All" of the original code. See the exemplary changed code below. However, this would be a bad idea and poor approach.

creative.register_tab("all", "Alles", minetest.registered_items)
Why would the above be a bad idea? Please recall we want to provide a language of choice. Hard coding a string is not providing a choice (that is why it is called 'hard' coded) and we seek a better and more flexible solution naturally. If we would hard code again we would just produce the same problem in another languages as the developers of the code did before. Please note we may not blame the developers (see above).

So a translation by just a change to the hard coding of the string is not a good solution. We need a better idea and an improved approach to provide an sustainable solution for a flexible translation.

A better idea and an improved approach

The goal is to provide a MT software translation by a language of choice. Any selection or choice could be understood as some functionality in software and can be coded as a function. Computers and software are just made for this.

Momentarily, we may accept there is a function 'S' i.e. 'S()' which takes one (or more?) arguments and can provide a choice for a translation based on the original string which is just the argument in the function call. The return value of 'S()' is either the original string or the translation of the original string or any other value.

The code of the function 'S()' can be defined elsewhere. Please note we have no need for this example to discuss how the choice happens inside the function. We accept there is a function established and can trust there is a computable solution provided.

The solution seems to be a reasonable small change to the original code and the extra code for the function 'S()' can be typed by help of only three characters in a short and easy way presumably. This is the a.m. S("string") enclosure.

The application of the S("string") enclosure on all of the four names of the creative inventory GUI provides the following code:

creative.register_tab("all", S("All"), minetest.registered_items)
creative.register_tab("nodes", S("Nodes"), minetest.registered_nodes)
creative.register_tab("tools", S("Tools"), minetest.registered_tools)
creative.register_tab("craftitems", S("Items"), minetest.registered_craftitems)
Obviously by somewhat minor changes to the original code and by help of the S("string") enclosure to user-facing strings of the creative inventory GUI we and a developer can provide a language of choice for the interface. We may have found an improved approach to provide a sustainable solution for a flexible translation. However, please keep in mind the task of software translation can be a more complex task as it may look at first glance.

The file 'init.lua' of the 'creative' mod

The creative inventory GUI is provided by the 'creative' mod which is located as a folder creative inside the minetest_game mod tree.

The task of addressing strings which directly involve the GUI seems to be obvious and is a "look, search and enclose" misson. However, there may be other user-facing strings embedded in the software which sometimes may be quite obvious or may be hidden and only found by coincidence. Some advice from the developers would be helpful.

A look into the source code for possible user-facing strings in the file 'init.lua' of the 'creative' mod provides the following code and only one user-facing string apparently:

minetest.register_privilege("creative", {
	description = "Allow player to use creative inventory",
	give_to_singleplayer = false,
The application of the S("string") enclosure to the just one identified possibly user-facing string in the file 'init.lua' of the 'creative' mod provides the following code:

minetest.register_privilege("creative", {
	description = S("Allow player to use creative inventory"),
	give_to_singleplayer = false,
We now introduced the S("string") enclosure to five lines of code, four in the file creative.lua and one in the file init.lua for this example and the time being.

The file 'gintllib.lua' as a necessary mod addition

The ambitious translator-developer may use this example to test the code and would immediately get errors by starting the MT client after the a.m. changes and will see an apparent failure. This may be obvious to the well established code developer but this is a tutorial and we want to evolve for the benefit of less misunderstanding in the forum and better understanding in the community.

The S("string") enclosure provides a call to the function 'S()' and this function is not defined. Please note that an already defined but different function 'S()' might be even worse as it could lead to unwanted results.

Obviously, there is a requirement for some additional piece of code which provides a sufficient definition of the 'S()' function to the Lua code without endangering the functionality of the original software. This is where the file 'gintllib.lua' comes into play.

The file 'gintllib.lua' is provided as a template file and normally resides in the lib folder of the 'game_intllib' mod path. The file 'gintllib.lua' should be copied into all the respective mod folders where at least one of the files holds an user-facing string and where a S("string") enclosure was or will be added to the original code. However, any such copy of the file 'gintllib.lua' can only provide its code as definition of the 'S()' function successfully if it is somehow included into the Lua code of a respective existing code file in a way compliant to the software syntax.

The inclusion of the definitions of another file into the code of an existing code file is possible by means of the dofile statement in the Lua code of a MT mod or any other Lua software. The respective code segment including a commentary line as preface and another line for a path check for including 'gintllib.lua' is:

-- Load support for game_intllib.
local MP = minetest.get_modpath(minetest.get_current_modname())
local S, NS = dofile(MP .. "/gintllib.lua")
This code segment has to be respectively copied once to the head of any and all '*.lua' files where a S("string") enclosure was or will be added to the original code. Please note there is an additional NS("string") enclosure defined hereby. This additional definition is for good reasons and will be explained later.

Furthermore, the code dofile(MP .. "/gintllib.lua") reads the definitions of the 'gintllib.lua' file in the same folder to be compliant to the mod security requirements by the MT developers. This is the reason why we have to copy the 'gintllib.lua' file into all applicable mod folders and cannot address a different solution without such copying. Please note the documentation may be outdated and the functionality of the former 'security' mod may be integrated into the MT core code but the principle concepts apply.

Please find a Beta-release of the discussed 'gintllib.lua' file in the attach below (see at the foot of this forum contribution). The normal user may investigate the contents of the ZIP-file for the benefit of understanding this tutorial. However, the ambitious translator-developer may use this file for experiments at your own risk. The license included inside the ZIP-file applies.

Inside the 'gintllib.lua' file there is a check for the 'game_intllib.lua' mod being enabled or not. The code definitions provide a sufficient stub if the 'game_intllib.lua' is disabled and the functions 'S()' and 'NS()' will just copy the value of the enclosed original string as return value.

Testing the preliminary 'game_intllib' additions

We now have discussed the code additions to the original Lua code of both the 'init.lua' and the 'ceative.lua' file and the addition of the 'gintllib.lua' file to the folder of the 'creative' mod as an example for a MT software translation. Please consider the preliminary 'game_intllib' additions explained for the purpose of this tutorial.

The ambitious translator-developer may now use again this example to test the code in an improved way. This is at your own risk and please remember to:
  1. copy the 'gintllib.lua' file into the 'creative' mod folder
  2. check for all of the a.m. five code changes by S("string") enclosure both in the 'init.lua' and the 'creative.lua' file,
  3. put all three lines of the a.m. code segment into both the 'init.lua' and the 'creative.lua' file of the same folder.
Afterwards you may start your experimental copy of the MT client with the a.m. code additions. In the creative mode play the inventory GUI should be popping up as you type the 'I' command key and should provide a view on crafting and items. Such experiment should get no errors and you should avoid a code failure if you did follow all steps correctly.

Please note we will momentarily see no change to the view on the names of tabs in the creative inventory GUI as we did not provide any true translations yet. However, this was intentional for this part of the tutorial and the experimental copy of the MT game software should be running without hassle.

Last not least, the reader and the translator-developer could appreciate there is a way to introduce a 'S()' function by S("string") enclosure to user-facing strings of the Lua code in the MT software. This is a success to an experimental effort which may lead to a translation solution later and which is not producing a code break in the mean time.

We start small but have high ambitions. We could call this a proof of example.

This is the end of part 1 of the document and you may continue with the part 2 of my little tutorial if you like. Thank you for your attention.
gintllib_2019-05-11b.zip
The 'gintllib.lua' file as Beta-release.
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by snoopy on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:48, edited 4 times in total.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The translations are under LGPLv2.1+.
Just click on the “Information” tab.
@Wuzzy : Thank you. However, please differentiate between the:
  1. WL hosting and costs
  2. CZ host of WL registration
  3. CZ host terms of the WL licensa agreement
  4. MT: MT translation project WL information page - license models: CC0-1.0, GPL-3.0+, LGPL-2.1+, MIT, WTFPL
  5. MT core: MT - MT core translation project WL information page - license model: LGPL-2.1+
  6. MT game: a new ML game translation project within the MT translation project on WL
You are adressing number #5 apparently while I was adressing number #4 and number #2 & #3 specificaly.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with WL or WL hosted projects yet. Please understand I want to avoid both some hassle with #1 and possible license infringements before I would start a new MT game translation project.

I am neutral on #5 MT core but have to understand how to intregrate #6 MT game into #4 MT first. Last not least it would be quite helpful if I could get a contact to somebody responsible for #4 MT i.e. the MT translation project.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

A little tutorial on MT software translation (part 2)

Preface

Welcome to the second part of my little tutorial. You may skip the Introduction if you are familiar with the first part of this document.

Please note:
This text and the tutorial are WIP i.e. work in progress. I will irregularly edit and plan to gradually improve the text.

Introduction

Please be aware, this is for educational and experimental purposes only. This is not an official MT development documentation.

This little tutorial is about software translation to the Minetest (MT) game software engine functionalities and how to improve the user experience for any player of the game. The MT game is made happen by software. The GUI i.e. the graphical user interface of the MT game is divided into the outer GUI of the client (the MT client window) and the GUI in the inner world view of the MT client (the view on the world, player hand and tools, inventory etc.).

The so called mods (short for modifications or modules) are the foundation of games which add or modify various features. Here you find the actual source code of games. Players can also add additional own mods to extend a particular game.

As an english person you may be fully happy with the MT game certainly in the current 5.0.1 stable version. As somebody from a different background you may enjoy the experience of a MT game but at the same time would welcome a MT game GUI and MT interaction with phrases in your language of choice. This is why we discuss translation and why we should have a look into the MT software.

Example (2): The MT inventory GUI (revisited)

A view on the MT inventory GUI with translation

Please recall in the first part I made the claim there is a function 'S' i.e. 'S()' which takes one (or more?) arguments and can provide a choice for a translation based on the original string which is just the argument in the function call. The return value of 'S()' is either the original string or the translation of the original string or any other value. This is the so called S("string") enclosure.

Without any view or proof of a picture you may ask why you should appreciate part 1 of my tutorial and how there could be a reason to introduce a 'S()' function by S("string") enclosure to user-facing strings of the Lua code in the MT software. So let's have a view on the image below.

The above image shows a view on the MT creative inventory GUI of a changed MT client with the 'game_intllib' mod included to the ./minetest_game/mods/creative path as an example. Obviously, there did some translations happen as four of the five tabs show new names and the one selected node shows a translated tool tip. As you can see e.g., the "All" named tab is presenting a translated text as the tab is named "הכל" in Hebrew.

In particular the relevant user-facing strings are :
  1. "Crafting" -- not translated and of EN origin
  2. "הכל" -- "All" is translated to HE
  3. "Yзлы" -- "Nodes" is translated to RU
  4. "lisebelisoa" -- "Tools" is translated to ST
  5. "Przedmiotów" -- "Items" is translated to PL
  6. "Erde mit Trockengras" -- "Dirt with Dry Grass" is translated to DE
Please accept my apologies in advance if one of this examples may be incorrect or you do not find your preferred language included. The two-letter ISO 639-1 codes apply and you should note ISO 639 is a standardized nomenclature used to classify natural languages.

Obviously, a translation to text in the MT creative inventory GUI did happen and the 'game_intllib' can provide translations by language of choice. Voila!

The MT inventory GUI translation explained

Anybody playing MT in the creative mode is aware of the creative inventory of the GUI in the MT client. There are five main tabs named 'Crafting', 'All', 'Nodes', 'Tools' and 'Items'. In our example the application of the S("string") enclosure on four out of five tab names of the creative inventory GUI is provided by the file ./minetest_game/mods/creative/inventory.lua and the following code segment:

creative.register_tab("all", S("All"), minetest.registered_items)
creative.register_tab("nodes", S("Nodes"), minetest.registered_nodes)
creative.register_tab("tools", S("Tools"), minetest.registered_tools)
creative.register_tab("craftitems", S("Items"), minetest.registered_craftitems)
The application of the S("string") enclosure on the node name selected in the above view is provided by the file ./minetest_game/mods/default/nodes.lua and the following code segment:

minetest.register_node("default:dirt_with_dry_grass", {
	description = S("Dirt with Dry Grass"),
	tiles = {"default_dry_grass.png",
However, this only shows details of the original Lua code are changed by the S("string") enclosure. How does this 'S()' function make the obvious translation happen and why in five different languages of choice?

In general one should consider the GNU gettext project & documentation for further information.

In particular we have a look into some more details of the 'game_intllib' mod and further additions to the original code inside of path ./minetest_game/mods/ of the MT software. Please be aware, this is for educational and experimental purposes only. This is not an official MT development documentation.

The 'game_intllib' mod introduces a 'locale' folder in path ./minetest_game/mods/game_intllib/locale of the MT software. Inside this folder certain PO-file definition tables for translations exist. For purpose of this tutorial this should be a sufficient explanation and you may consult the a.m. GNU gettext documentation.

The choice of language is done by the MT preference setup and/or by the language=de setting in the applicable file of the MT client. Maybe more on this later.

Let's have a look at a part of such a '*.po' file. This file was created through copy of a template file 'template.pot' which can be automatically established by help of the 'game_intllib' mod tools after a manual request on the commandline. This handling and the format is derived from the original 'intllib' mod and is compliant to the GNU gettext tool chain.

This is the partial content of the respective 'de.po' file which I adjusted specifically to our example as follows:

# Do not use, this is an excerpt and holds explanatory text additions:

#: carts/rails.lua         <- the files become listed alphabetically
msgid "Powered Rail"
msgstr "Antriebsschiene"

#: carts/rails.lua
msgid "Brake Rail"         <- strings are listed by sequential search
msgstr "Bremsschiene"

#: creative/init.lua
msgid "Allow player to use creative inventory"
msgstr ""                          <- empty and awaiting translation

#: creative/inventory.lua          <- refers to the file of the string
msgid "All"                        <- presents the original string
msgstr "הכל"                       <- presents the translated string

#: creative/inventory.lua
msgid "Nodes"                      <- this is just the name of the tab
msgstr "Yзлы"                      <- this a russian text in UTF-8

msgid "Tools"
msgstr "lisebelisoa"               <- this is Sotho (ST)

msgid "Items"
msgstr "Przedmiotów"               <- this is Polish (PL)

#: default/chests.lua
msgid "Locked Chest"
msgstr "Verschlossene Truhe"

#: default/chests.lua
msgid "Locked Chest (owned by @1)"       <- special (see below)
msgstr "Verschlossene Truhe von @1."     <- special (see below)

#: default/nodes.lua               <- refers to the file of the string
msgid "Dirt with Dry Grass"        <- presents the original tool tip
msgstr "Erde mit Trockengras"      <- this is german text (DE)

# The ambitious translator-developer may use the file attached below.
Please have in mind that the above 'de.po' file was specifically adjusted for the purpose of this example. The standard procedure is to represent any language of choice by its own '*.po' file respectively. To present the a.m. languages would require five different files namely 'he.po', 'ru.po', 'st.po', 'pl.po', and 'de.po' or e.g., additionaly 'de_DE.po', 'de_AT.po', 'de_CH.po' files as variants.

The ambitious translator-developer may use the file in the attachment (not included yet) which holds no explanations and is in a compliant format. After copying the file to ./minetest_game/mods/game_intllib/locale you should see the same view in your experimental copy of the MT client software. Obviously, this would require to have followed the steps in part 1 of this tutorial in the necessary way.

This text is work in progress and to be continued in the future.

Please consider reading the section "You are invited to contribute" in my forum commentary "What is 'game_intllib' and why a MT translation effort?" & "A little tutorial (part 1)" in the meantime.
Attachments
A &quot;creatively created&quot; MT creative inventory GUI with translated text as a proof of example.
A "creatively created" MT creative inventory GUI with translated text as a proof of example.
creativeGUI_01.jpeg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Last edited by snoopy on Mon May 13, 2019 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

Beware of false guidance!

by Wuzzy » Post

Sigh. What the so-called “tutorial” above does NOT tell you:

1) Intllib historically was created as a hack, and today it's still a hack. It was created long time ago, when Minetest didn't have a native mod translation system. As a hack, it is NOT the preferred solution for any game
2) Minetest, since 5.0.0, has a native mod translation system built-in (minetest.get_translator. The tutorials are completely silent on this. There is absolutely zero justification given on why the native system should not be used
3) It does not say a single word about the fact that this mod-based system is fatally broken because the server is forced to push the same translation to all clients. So this “approach” does not give users any actual choice

I am not going to comment the whining about Weblate because it's off-topic.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

We need fresh air, some friendly thoughts and a more open discussion.

At the core are the file template.pot and the improved MT game code with S("string") enclosures which matter most and my 'game_intllib' establishes both for good reasons.

This discussion on "justification" is again a poor misunderstanding.
Wuzzy wrote: 2) Minetest, since 5.0.0, has a native mod translation system built-in (minetest.get_translator. The tutorials are completely silent on this. There is absolutely zero justification given on why the native system should not be used
@Wuzzy may be correct but IMHO not very helpful. Unfortunately, with no good advice and AFAIK the MT-dev-wiki translation pages missing some documentation on the apparent native mod translation built-in minetest.get_translator, there is good reason to continue with 'game_intllib' and my little experiment.

Please note: I am just enjoying playing around with Lua code, the MT forum BBcode and MT Git & Github (including MacPorts and port install git with MT 0.4.17 and 5.0.1 installs) in my personal spare time and to enjoy some refreshed learning in programming. I am free to make my little code and my little text as I am free to enjoy the MT game or to just ignore it.

If you have considered my 2d8d7f4 commit and report for details, you should have become aware of this statement:
There is no requirement to include the 'game_intllib' mod into the
game code basis if an alternative solution for a translation of
user-facing strings of the default mods inside the game is in place.
However, the 'game_intllib' and tools may be helpful in assisting the
task of translation of user-facing strings of the default mods prior
a new release of the game and after introduction of new game code.
AFAIK the Github stable-5 branch of the MT game code does not hold any S("string") enclosures yet.

One should acknowledge the main effort in MT software translation is not the code but the introduction of the S("string") enclosures into the code. So my main effort is not the code but the translation of user-facing strings in the software.

IMHO both the built-in minetest.get_translator, and this poor 'game_intllib' mod are both compliant to the GNU gettext tool chain.

It is very basic, at the end one could just ignore the new Lua code of 'game_intllib' and just use all of the S("string") enclosures by means of the built-in minetest.get_translator when this is in place. It should be very easy for developers to delete or ignore the mode/game_intllib/ folder and gintllib.lua files but at the same time to accept most if not all of the S("string") enclosures into the existing code of the MT game.

Have a nice day.
Last edited by snoopy on Mon May 13, 2019 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

snoopy wrote:and a more open discussion.
The horse is dead. Why keep beating it?

There is no reason in maintaining intllib implementations let alone starting new ones. It is legacy code that should be kept while switching to a modern-times translation system (i.e., the built-in one) and then be removed without replacement.

It’s like jQuery or BBcode. Those were once relevant but stuck in the year they were created. No sane developer would use them in new projects because they were created with and for the technology of their time.

Same with intllib. Back when Minetest had no built-in translation system this was a thing (even if it was not made for multi-language servers), nowadays it is just something that should be removed from mods. No-one in the right mind would start a NEW project with intllib or would add support to an already existing mod instead of using the built-in translation feature.

Any afford in keeping or maintaining intllib is a waste of time.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

@Wuzzy may be correct but IMHO not very helpful. Unfortunately, with no good advice and AFAIK the MT-dev-wiki translation pages missing some documentation on the apparent native mod translation built-in minetest.get_translator, there is good reason to continue with 'game_intllib' and my little experiment.
This is very revealing. You have basically admitted your own incompetence here. Nice.
It is not my job to educate you on the functionality of the Lua API.
Besides, the Minetest Dev Wiki is NOT the official documentation. I repeat: It's NOT. Do not trust it. It is full of mistakes, holes and even internal inconsistencies.
You must refer to the official documentation instead, which is lua_api.txt. This document explains how it all works. Rubenwardy has even posted a more readable HTML version of it somewhere, by the way.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Besides, the Minetest Dev Wiki is NOT the official documentation. I repeat: It's NOT. Do not trust it. It is full of mistakes, holes and even internal inconsistencies.
(1) You may consult the WP article on "Wiki" and should consider a published position on Wiki characteristics as:
A wiki is not a carefully crafted site created by experts and professional writers, and designed for casual visitors. Instead, it seeks to involve the typical visitor/user in an ongoing process of creation and collaboration that constantly changes the website landscape.
(2) As of today there was a update on the a.m. MT wiki page on Translation by someone called 'Wuzzy' ...
13:05, 13 May 2019‎ Wuzzy (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (5,308 bytes) (+231)‎ . . (Mention mod translation briefly)

Translating mods and games

Please refer to the official Lua API documentation (lua_api.txt).
Thank you very much for your competent answer and your MT wiki contribution.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Please consider this Pull request for the minetest_game in GitHub:
Add support for MT 5 game translation #2364

runs

by runs » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
@Wuzzy may be correct but IMHO not very helpful. Unfortunately, with no good
Besides, the Minetest Dev Wiki is NOT the official documentation. I repeat: It's NOT. Do not trust it. It is full of mistakes, holes and even internal inconsistencies.
It is official since is hosted inside the official domain.

:-)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

runs wrote:It is official since is hosted inside the official domain.
It’s an official wiki, yes. But it was stated several times by the devs that the wiki is not the official documentation of the Minetest API.

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

This is a very good and handy mod.
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

runs

by runs » Post

Miniontoby wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:36
"was". Deprecated, now it is better to use the new core translation feature.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 22:22
Miniontoby wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 17:36
"was". Deprecated, now it is better to use the new core translation feature.
Yeah but how it works?

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

This is how I use the core translation feature in Protector Redo, and if not found (using older minetest) it will then default to Intllib instead: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/protector/ ... it.lua#L14

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This thread should be moved to Old Mods.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 09:41
This is how I use the core translation feature in Protector Redo, and if not found (using older minetest) it will then default to Intllib instead: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/protector/ ... it.lua#L14
Cool, thanks i can use that. I did though about it