Recent forum and wiki downtime 2019-05-01...2019-05-03

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: Recent forum and wiki downtime 2019-05-01...2019-05-03

by sorcerykid » Post

Great news everyone!

I was able to recover 2225 lost forum posts between March 13, 2019 and April 28, 2019. Here is a digest sorted by author.

https://sorcerykid.github.io/minetest-f ... igest.html

Over the weekend, I compiled and collated over 400 cached pages from Google, Bing, Yandex, and the Wayback Machine. I estimate that I was able to recover at least 60-70% of the missing content.

Feel free to permalink to any of the pages in the digest above, as they will remain static for reference purposes.

NB: Some of the topic titles aren't being parsed correctly by my awk script, but I'm working on a fix!

WayBack Machine

by WayBack Machine » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I was able to recover...
Haven't looked yet, but Well Done! Respect! Your effort and skill are much appreciated. Can it be officially merged somewhere, maybe a new Crashed-Forum sub-forum? In case of uwu's Bus factor
Linuxdirk wrote:Is it me or is the server noticeably slower?
Not just you. Plenty of 504 Gateway Timeout here too.

Kilarin wrote:You don't realize how much you really needed something until it's gone.
And this is just a forum about Software. Sorry to go serious, but, if this was a wake-up call, what about real-life?

Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi said it in song half a century ago. Rachel Carson's seminal book too, about pesticide-induced loss of Nature, Silent_Spring. Little wonder the well-respected filmmaker David Attenborough's getting ever more vocal in his twilight years, about Climate Change, Plastics and monoculture mega-plantations like Palm Oil.

You have to wonder, is a certain Western nation's industrial corporate capitalism actually a "Griefer" and "Hostile Mob" in the real-life world? If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..
uwu wrote:Bus factor

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

rhere was a question about the backup size, with answer 5 GB each.

But the most important question is:

When now, every day, week, ... the backup will be done ?

before I start any longer post anymore ... why should I trust anymore ?
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

celeron55 intends to backup more often from now on.

Also, i think it's best only celeron55 stores backups, no offence to those who offered.

malah

by malah » Post

due to a VPS crash and disk corruption.
Your VPS provider doesn't have a backup or they don't run RAID? I would switch from them
the necessary cron jobs to prune old backups on your end
I definitely suggest rsnapshot. It's incremental, automated, and uses rsync to do the heavy lifting. You can use before / after scripts to dump databases. You can create local backups this way.

Then setup a cheap VPS with a different provider / location and use rsnapshot to also remotely create backups.

Been doing this for about 5 years now and it has saved me more then a few times

runs

by runs » Post

When the lost post of the no convenient mods out of the ContentDB I remained in silence, but now:

1) This demostrates my theory I could not explain or I did not want. If Minetest is an OPEN SOURCE thing the communitty (the peak of the pyramid) has to have access to ContentDB. 'It is a Rubenwardy project' I read. Ok, but then if Rubenwardy dies, in the 2100 year of course, or his house gets on fire, etc. WTF, that project, HOSTED below the minetest.net umbrella, included in a tab as an INSEPARABLE PART OF THE ENGINE, will be lost inevitably.

2) I think that forums has to be ruled by a leadership of three people at least, by the same motive as 1. The minetest forums are a not important as ContentDB but SHOULD BE PART OF THE OPEN SOURCE SPIRIT.

IMO of course.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

May be now is a good time to suggest either more donations for celeron55, or a community led effort to create an official non-profit to support MT, both in funding for the forum servers and offsite backups of the forums, and in general, getting the word out.

Kimapr
GitHub: Kimapr
IRC: Kimapr
In-game: Kimapr

by Kimapr » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I'm not very comfortable with random people being handed the keys to the castle (no offense Fixer, it's nothing personal :)

It is my understanding that the forum database contains private messages, hidden subforums, hashed passwords, and IP addresses. Even if fully encrypted, that's a lot of sensitive, personal information that is just begging for a privacy breach to happen. We've all seen the news of major companies and even government agencies in the line-of-fire for not properly protecting confidential data ;) In my view, nobody else except the core developers and moderators should be trusted with access to the forum database.

Why not look into a cloud hosting solution? I've been using ADrive for automated weekly backups of my server. They support all the industry standard protocols including rsync, sftp and scp. And of course under Linux, you can remote mount the filesystem via SSHFS. The 100 GB storage plan is just 25 USD for an entire year. This way you could maintain a centralized, secured backup that is always online. And only appointed staff would be give the login credentials.
How cloud hosting solution is different from random people being handed with keys to the castle?
Ek59C88tAsaQuRAw6PCPsGFDozj1FuZ4

Drachenbauer32

by Drachenbauer32 » Post

Hello

I got a gataway timeout arror today for some minutes (about 20:45 - 20:50 german time).

was there a short downtime?

heavy gale
GitHub: heavygale
IRC: heavygale
In-game: Max or heavygale

by heavy gale » Post

Looks like it's currently impossible to register new accounts for this forum. Every attempt fails because the IP address, username oder email-addess is supposed to be a known spammer. Is this intentionally?

Drachenbauer32

by Drachenbauer32 » Post

i was able to create my account by using my smartphone, as i had ths issue on my pc.