Post your mod requests/ideas here

Lord_Vlad

Re: Post your mod requests/ideas here

by Lord_Vlad » Post

Hi, I would really like to disable all flowing liquid blocks and only have source liquids (which move thanks to dynamic_liquid) How can I do this ?

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Unfortunately that isn't possible with the way dynamic_liquid is written right now. To make the ABM that dynamic_liquid uses more efficient it only moves source nodes that are adjacent to flowing nodes, since normally the only situations where it would need to move stuff is when there's flowing nodes present.

It should be possible to tweak the dynamic_liquid mod so that it tests source nodes adjacent to air nodes for movement, but this would result in a lot of needless extra checks being done - consider the ocean, its surface is adjacent to air so every second the ABM would need to check every surface node for movement possibilities.

I suppose this would be fine if the liquid type was rare, though. I'm curious what the purpose behind your question is, are you just wanting a node type that "wanders" randomly? Like some sort of weird magic rock that slides around on the ground, or something like that?

Lord_Vlad

by Lord_Vlad » Post

Basically with dynamic liquids, watersources are flowing liquids, so for me it makes no sense that it creates flowing water blocks near it... basically what I'm really annoyed at is the liquids that will just invade any given space... like flow everywhere but you can only pick up source blocks anyway. Some caves are completely flooded by a single lava source slowly making it's way down. but you still have to find the source to stop the rest.

Maybe just reduce the length of the flowing then ? Like if it could only flow one block instead of what... 8 ?
I know it's going to look weird but since the liquid is moving it makes sense to me. It would only wander randomly on a flat surfaces... otherwise I prefer to say find a way down...
It kinda already does the weird stuff anyways since if you drop a bucket on a flat surface you will see the top move weirdly.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

The "flowing" nodes adjacent to source nodes fulfill two basic functions in the context of dynamic_liquid: They look nice, and they are free "pathfinding" provided by the engine's C++ code. LUA code is slow to execute so it's important to avoid it as much as possible, so it's a huge savings to be able to just check "does this liquid source node have a flowing node adjacent to it?" before doing any further work. If a source node doesn't have a flowing node adjacent to it, then there is nowhere that it can move to and nothing further needs to be done. We never even get into the LUA code because the ABM never triggers for that node in the first place.

The nice look is also important, because without flowing nodes smoothing the surface of the liquid out it just looks like a bunch of translucent cubes sliding around chunkily. Minetest is visually crude enough as it is, eliminating the smooth surfaces of liquids is a step pretty far down.

Anyway. There is indeed an option to lessen the effect without eliminating it entirely. The key property you'll need to adjust in the liquid's definition is liquid_range. By default liquid_range is 8, meaning the flowing liquid will stretch out 8 nodes away from a source node on a flat surface. If you want to see a shorter range in action, try placing some river water on a flat surface; its liquid_range is only 2.

If you want to set the liquid_range on existing node definitions such as water and lava, this code should do it:

Code: Select all

minetest.override_item("default:lava_source", {liquid_range = 2})
minetest.override_item("default:lava_flowing", {liquid_range = 2})
minetest.override_item("default:water_source", {liquid_range = 2})
minetest.override_item("default:water_flowing", {liquid_range = 2})
(Note: code is untested)

Just stick that in dynamic_liquid's init.lua file somewhere and all liquids will behave like river water does. Note that if you have a steep slope you'll still get the liquid extending all the way down it, but with the reduced range it will be a lot less likely to find ways to reach slopes like that.

Cussock
In-game: Cussock

by Cussock » Post

I think it would be very cool if we could get a Lovecraft inspired mod, with idols to all the old ones (Shub-Niggurath, Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, Yig, etc.)

I wouldn't recommend having these entities being in-game mobs though, as the very nature of them means they're incapable of the natural form of death, but rather giving players an in-game armor set (like cultist robes or horrific ooze) that goes with them that could be crafted by sacrificing other players. As for possible mobs, I would suggest Nightgaunts and Mi-Go. Ghouls would also be appropriate if spawned in little generated graveyards. As for the function of these gods, I think it would be very fun to sacrifice other players with "ritual daggers" that gave them special items when killing someone else/a mob with said daggers. It would also give an actual use to the randomly generated dungeons Minetest already had if the code was tweaked and these were turned into Great Race of Yith libraries/labs with special mobs (abominable floating polyps) and items, making these structures widely sought after in servers. I dunno, I thought it would be very cool to add lovecraftian elements into the game. We need more eldritch abominations in Minetest. Let me know what ya'll think, and if anyone would like to work on it!

IcyDiamond
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

by IcyDiamond » Post

Sires wrote:Uhm minetest needs mods like "Towny in MC".
May our collective wish be my command.
Web developer | Systems Administrator

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

IcyDiamond wrote:
Yes please! Personally I’d like to see it supporting MineClone2 as well as MTG…

IcyDiamond
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

by IcyDiamond » Post

texmex wrote:
IcyDiamond wrote:
Yes please! Personally I’d like to see it supporting MineClone2 as well as MTG…
It's happening! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21912
Web developer | Systems Administrator

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

I'm requesting a persian-cat mod.
https://www.anyabozartist.com/persian-cat-gallery

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:I'm requesting a persian-cat mod.
So scary!

It would be a bit hard to make the hair, I think.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote: Could CityEngine be implemented in minetest?
https://graphics.ethz.ch/Downloads/Publ ... _Par01.pdf
That's definitely a very intresting project. Yet I fear it may be far too large for MT worlds. Just keep in mind how few of the world around us we actually see in the game. Players in a really huge city would be lost. Also generators tend to be a bit at a loss when it comes to create intresting/realistic buildings. Skyscrapers may seem easy, but...either they're too large (big obstacle with nothing inside), or feel far too small at their base.

The village generator nore wrote and which I used for mg_villages does work procedurally already. It can create very large villages. It's just that quite a lot of diffrent (pre-built) buildings are necessary in order to make it look good.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Sokomine wrote: The village generator nore wrote and which I used for mg_villages does work procedurally already. It can create very large villages. It's just that quite a lot of diffrent (pre-built) buildings are necessary in order to make it look good.
Maybe you can add a function to register house generator functions which take boundary coordinates, a height map, pseudorandom function, and other data and calculate a building which looks different almost every time.
Pre-built buildings can then be added as one house-generator function (instead of hard-coding for modularity).

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

DreamGuardian
In-game: Dream_Guardian

by DreamGuardian » Post

1 Has anyone thought of adding Godzilla or maybe the Titans from Attack on Titans?

2 Tents please,i want to make it a camp feeling theme so anything related to camping

Sires
GitHub: Sires0
IRC: Sires
In-game: Sires Sores Siri Seris or anything ppl call me

by Sires » Post

DreamGuardian wrote:1 Has anyone thought of adding Godzilla or maybe the Titans from Attack on Titans?

2 Tents please,i want to make it a camp feeling theme so anything related to camping
Just to clarify things a bit, minetest is usually built up on mods, what you would call of a "modpack", some mods that makes up a whole gameplay is called a "game" in minetest. So one does not add something to minetest, we can add something to the minetest game, but the minetest game is made to be very simple. So if you want to have godzilla or all that stuff you need a mod or maybe a game ;)
I don't have anything important to say.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

setlight mod so you can set the light per node using a special tool
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

niwla23
In-game: Niwla

by niwla23 » Post

Can somone make a mod that depend on worldedit and add an //overlay command? This would set a block over every other block, except air. That would be good for terraforming: //brush sphere 5 stone and then //overlay and the rocks are finish!

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Dye + torch = torch with dyed handle. Maybe 8 torches per dye or something. To use as breadcrumbs when exploring caverns. And to give a practical use for dyes. :)

elfang
In-game: elfang

by elfang » Post

"Quickstart" modpack so a new user does not have to hunt through the forums trying to figure out how to fit all this together, complete with hunger, decent inventory, and all the basic expansions.

Desour
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

I request a mod that adds Bumcivilian.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Moustachiarty
GitHub: zefram-cochrane

by Moustachiarty » Post

I'd like to see TurtleMiner with worldedit capabilities. That would be the best mod ever!

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

Could someone help me with this?
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22603
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Is there a mod where I can see all the online and offline players on a server?
I test mines.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Another mod request is a spectator mod where you can watch a specific or random players on a server in a zoomed-out, third-person view?
I test mines.

Desour

by Desour » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:Another mod request is a spectator mod where you can watch a specific or random players on a server in a zoomed-out, third-person view?
https://krock-works.uk.to/minetest/modS ... =spectator

Ender3Guy
GitHub: MisterPrintf

by Ender3Guy » Post

I've been using Mobs redo, and the stroke times for the wood and stone swords are driving me crazy. I had an idea for a mod for better swords, where you can make a stronger and faster sword by first crafting a sword blade and then tempering it in the furnace, in the case of mese, steel, iron, and stone. After the blade has been tempered, you can add a stick for a handle in the crafting grid.

Since I'm familiar with HTML, C++, and Python, I'm hoping it won't be too hard to use Lua. Can someone confirm that this won't be too complicated as a first mod?

Oh, and I can use Blender and Fusion 360 to create custom nodes for the swordblade, with Paint.net for the textures.