I'm leaving.

Piezo_
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

I'm leaving.

by Piezo_ » Post

Hello, anyone who's heard of me around the forums, used my mods, or played on any servers with me online.

I've enjoyed participating in this community, and creating a few mods to make things more interesting.
However, every moment that I've spent diving head-first into this community is a moment that I've been letting my life fall apart on the the real side of the computer screen.

The fact is, the time I've had to create all that I have made here is a result of obsession, and I need to move on before it destroys me.

I can't do this any more, for my own health.

I enjoyed contributing to a piece of Free Software that other people were also working on, and I'm sure the experience of having written code in an environment where so many other programs could interact with it will prove infinitely valuable in the future.

For what fun I had, thank you.
while (true) { suffer(); }

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: I'm leaving.

by Pyrollo » Post

Good luck in real life, be careful, it's full of non-cubic stuff.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Good Luck and thanks
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Piezo_ wrote:Hello, anyone who's heard of me around the forums, used my mods, or played on any servers with me online.

I've enjoyed participating in this community, and creating a few mods to make things more interesting.
However, every moment that I've spent diving head-first into this community is a moment that I've been letting my life fall apart on the the real side of the computer screen.

The fact is, the time I've had to create all that I have made here is a result of obsession, and I need to move on before it destroys me.

I enjoyed contributing to a piece of Free Software that other people were also working on, and I'm sure the experience of having written code in an environment where so many other programs could interact with it will prove infinitely valuable in the future.

For what fun I had, thank you.
Sorry to hear this.

MT as any other engaging and immersive activity may become addictive. I've figured it out some time ago when working on my Sunny TP - this game has a potential of becoming sort of a drug. But it doesn't mean that this is evil; everyone has to balance the time spent on virtual activities and real life. When this is treated just as a nice addition, it's ok and I hope that you'll derive yet some pleasure from Minetest -- and from the fact, that for some users your work prooved to be a very valuable and important enrichment of the fun which gives Minetest.

For that fun, especially that of Hang Glider mod, I want to thank you once again. Take care and all the best to you, Piezo.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

AiTechEye
GitHub: AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

hey, i have exacly same problem, just look the list of my mods

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&aut ... =titleonly

i left 1 time, but returned cuz i could not stop my self from testing more things, the solution: stop playing and programing minetest for a while, or so, atleast works the first times, and make 1 or 2 alternativ interests..

bhree
GitHub: bhree
IRC: bhree
In-game: bhree

by bhree » Post

I've seen many bad to worse things as hobby and I think MT is not one of them as long as we can have balanced resource allocation with other things. Some people write poems, essays, plays and others write programs. There is situation where anything can goes beyond normal and start consuming your life. Not only programming or MT even excessively doing nothing, staring blank at empty wall can be bad.

AiTechEye
GitHub: AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

This has nothing with "as fun as you can't stop" or monotonous to do, it is when your fokus locks and just can't drop the activities from your mind, called "hyper fokus" this can lead to health problems.
This focus is stealing attention from everything else.

the normal balance doesn't exist, just getting more and more intensive.

so if you can't cooldown, it is necessary to stop completely.
Last edited by AiTechEye on Sun Jun 09, 2019 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Good luck with everything in your life!

uwu

by uwu » Post

So long, and thanks for all the hang-gliders :)

damongang

by damongang » Post

Well, thank you for the mods. I use some of them so I appreciate your work. I wish you the best.

runs

by runs » Post

Nooooooo

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

I'm so sad to hear this, your mods are awesome. I hope you find your way back to the minetest community in a more healthy manner.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Sad to see you go, your mods were awesome! But your health is much more important
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Piezo_ wrote:I've enjoyed participating in this community, and creating a few mods to make things more interesting.

Very sad to see this, and even guilt-inducing in some way. We (for all Minetest contributors) are doing our best for this game, and this makes people suffer. We always assume that people are responsible of what they do, but sometimes it might not be the case.
I would say, it would be great if you don't stop completely, at least coming up from time to time, but if you think you aren't able to control yourself, follow your health first.

For my part I had some troubles like this some years ago (2014 to 2015), I was basically spending 90% of my free time coding/playing, it happened many times that I missed my bus to school because of this (and on the countryside there were only 4 buses a day…) and that I was unable to sleep because couldn't cool down. But I eventually reached some kind of stability. I think the key was to find other hobbies, it's basically when I went back to playing the piano, and started sport, that I was able to control myself better.

I wish you the best for the future, good luck.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:
Piezo_ wrote:
For my part I had some troubles like this some years ago
I've noticed that, specifically when pursuing better textures for my worlds, or playing around with the parameters of the Valleys mg, time ceased to exist. I quickly realized that this can lead to serious real-life disruptions, both on logistic and emotional level. But this phenomenon is not restricted to video gaming, it's well known for centuries regarding young artists which allowed art to feed on their lives (there was even a saying in ancient Greece, that the one who is loved by muses doesn't live long). So keep all the necessary safety measures in right place :)
Last edited by voxelproof on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

(doubled by mistake)

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Post

AiTechEye wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 17:31
hey, i have exacly same problem, just look the list of my mods
Kinda same here...

I kinda silently left MT for a while, just to be obsessed with another Community...
Then silently left that Community, to probably get obsessed with MineTest again...
Then probably gonna silently leave MineTest for a while, to be obsessed with the other Community again for some time, then leave that Community again, to be obsessed with MineTest...
for i=1,∞ do
MineTest.chat_send_all("Then gonna silently leave MineTest again for a while, to be obsessed with the other Community again for some time, then leave that Community again, to be obsessed with MineTest...")
end

I kinda do have some free time left after my job... so y not?