Post your mod requests/ideas here

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

Re: Post your mod requests/ideas here

by Hugues Ross » Post

Since I'm familiar with HTML, C++, and Python, I'm hoping it won't be too hard to use Lua. Can someone confirm that this won't be too complicated as a first mod?
Lua's syntax and quirks (arrays start at 1, for instance) may take some getting used to, but it's a pretty simple language overall. Go for it!

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

My wishlist for mods would be in a modular realism. Mods that add single aspects of reality. So that players can get just the ratio they want of realism and escapism.

I'd like to see:
A geologist grade mapgen, so that I might actually learn stuff about the real world prior to human modification while I play.

Primitive Technology (YouTube channel) style crafting. Not in the sense of time consumption but the same chain of progress. So that at least the order of operations so to speak matches reality.

A chain of such craftings that lead to fission and explore the actual history of science. As per the show "Connections."

A way to play as a golem or robot or transhuman so I can have character progression/controls that make sense and don't break immersion. I want to eventually be able to glide and dive.

A place to put a back story to tie all this together even if it's just text boxes. Playing the game is very cathartic relaxing and dreamlike for me. Imagined context helps.

These are the directions I tend to lean in when it comes to mod choices and eventual mod creation.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

Has someone already made a mod where you have to read a personalized password from the tooltip of a button_exit in order to get interact on a server?
This might be a pretty reliable protection against mobile players.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

DS-minetest wrote:Has someone already made a mod where you have to read a personalized password from the tooltip of a button_exit in order to get interact on a server?
Ha! I love it!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

DS-minetest wrote:Has someone already made a mod where you have to read a personalized password from the tooltip of a button_exit in order to get interact on a server?
That is one of the best mobile protections I've heard yet. And constantly teleport them to a certain area if they move at all without entering the password... yes, it's all coming together.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

Free from Android [free_from_andoid]

texmex

by texmex » Post

Nice work bosapara, here's another design:

Attachments
pw.png
pw.png (8.24 KiB) Viewed 734 times

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

texmex wrote:Nice work bosapara, here's another design:

Your variant is better, more minimalistic Image

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

see that last idea with the stop tab/phone users,
how it works - cant android users see it ?

but not all of them are bad,
even PC users can come in make trouble with there low connection most as using bad, full wifi

can we build a mod, that
* on request of /privs server
* show the RTT of a gamer that is just online ?

Or change a mod, that shows together with the IP at Greetings also the ping result ?
So than I can tell that gamer, sorry - but
* choose more nearby server from your location
* ask him to optimize his wifi connection (possible, as use 11 MB/s to get much more stable than most use 54 MB/s for nothing but fail often)

I wanna better filter out, as I experienced that especial low RTT gamer take also the server down for everyone.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Innomen

by Innomen » Post

Festus1965 wrote:see that last idea with the stop tab/phone users,

but not all of them are bad,
even PC users can come in make trouble with there low connection most as using bad, full wifi

can we build a mod, that

Or change a mod, that shows together with the IP at Greetings also the ping result ?
So than I can tell that gamer, sorry - but
* choose more nearby server from your location
* ask him to optimize his wifi connection (possible, as use 11 MB/s to get much more stable than most use 54 MB/s for nothing but fail often)

I wanna better filter out, as I experienced that especial low RTT gamer take also the server down for everyone.
Agreed. Disgustingly elitist. Honestly thought it was a joke at first. Satire. But apparently not. Open source is a double edged sword, like free speech. /smh

Desour
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

I like that my idea was actually made to a mod. ^ ^
Festus1965 wrote:see that last idea with the stop tab/phone users,
To see the tooltip, you have to hover over the element with your mouse. Nobody thought of a way yet how to display tooltips for android users, so they simply don't see it.

Maybe it would be good to add a note to the formspec that says that you can only play if you are able to read the password here and that you must not annoy others if you can't. Or maybe just kick players that exit the formspec without entering the password.

Note that the mod can simply designed in a way that you just have to join with a pc once.
It's not really elitist, and it's not about the internet connection, but there might be servers that don't want to design everything in a way that mobile players can easily use it, eg. formspec sizes. Also it can be annoying if the server is filled with mobile players that have limited capabilities and often do nothing but filling the server with dead players.
There should be more things that encourage to use the pc to play minetest, minetest is a pc game, and pc players are much more likely to become modders or developers or at least community members that keep minetest alive.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Why would anybody need "protection against mobile players". I ran a server for nearly 3 years, mostly catering to mobile players (including the unofficial forks) and rarely had any issues.
minetest is a pc game, and pc players are much more likely to become modders or developers or at least community members that keep minetest alive.
I started out as a mobile player in 2015. I frequently played the just test server and ESM server using BuildCraft (an unofficial fork for iOS) completely unaware there even was an official PC client called Minetest. Then several months later I got into a discussion with SolDeNoche on ESM, and was told about the Minetest Project. And that was the life changing event for me.

If instead I had been blocked simply for being a mobile player, I wouldn't even be here today. And it makes me wonder how many other potential community members, mod developers, server operators, and game designers would be lost as well if they had never had even a chance to discover the Minetest Project.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Why would anybody need "protection against mobile players". I ran a server for nearly 3 years, mostly catering to mobile players (including the unofficial forks) and rarely had any issues.
minetest is a pc game, and pc players are much more likely to become modders or developers or at least community members that keep minetest alive.
I started out as a mobile player in 2015. I frequently played the just test server and ESM server using BuildCraft (an unofficial fork for iOS) completely unaware there even was an official PC client called Minetest. Then several months later I got into a discussion with SolDeNoche on ESM, and was told about the Minetest Project. And that was the life changing event for me.

If instead I had been blocked simply for being a mobile player, I wouldn't even be here today. And it makes me wonder how many other potential community members, mod developers, server operators, and game designers would be lost as well if they had never had even a chance to discover the Minetest Project.
I did use this, back in the 0.4.x days:
https://github.com/thomasrudin-mt/guest ... it.lua#L19

It rejects the unofficial app users with a message about the official minetest app hoping that they switch to that...

Anyhow: i think we are off-topic now :P
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:It rejects the unofficial app users with a message about the official minetest app hoping that they switch to that...
Checked your mod. Unfortunately not, players still can play with unofficial app with advertising. Name checking can't help with it.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

SAMIAMNOT wrote:Is there a mod where I can see all the online and offline players on a server?
Yes, Auth Redux lets you view a list of all online and offline players for a server. You can also query by different criteria (such as first login date, total session length, specific privileges, various username patterns, etc.) using cascading selectors.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Innomen wrote:Agreed. Disgustingly elitist. Honestly thought it was a joke at first. Satire. But apparently not. Open source is a double edged sword, like free speech. /smh
I want to play the latest Call of Duty on a potato but they won't let me. Such elitist, much banning free speech. ;D

Joke aside, there can be several reasons for keeping out tablet players. When designing a game the designer must know roughly what the target platform and peripherals are. Tablet players can't be expected to perform game actions in the same way as PC players.
  • What if item tooltips contain notjust names but status, level and other data as well?
  • What if node looking is a concept in the game, much different from node punching?
  • What if the game is competetive in such a way that tablet players ruin the experience simply by not being able to operate as fast as mouse users?
I've full understanding if a server owner want to offer an experience that can't be served on tablets.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

The problem is, Minetest is not Candy Crush Saga, yet many expect it to be (at least somewhat similar) as far as controls, ease of use, and bling.
Another problem, most young kids on tablets, are annoying as all hell, and are also normally undisciplined brats who are given a phone or tablet in lieu of a nanny, who cause problems on servers because they are bored and starving for attention, and have zero social skills or manners. (this is progress)
I do not blame anyone who wants to keep their server mobile-user-free.
Perhaps if something could be designed which could identify the platform the user is on?
There are methods to tell if a user is on Android, or Windows, etc.. just not sure if it is something which could work in this instance.
A nice pop up which states "Whoopsie Doodle, this server does not support your platform"
A Wonderful World

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:I do not blame anyone who wants to keep their server mobile-user-free.
Thanks - I want, as I am sure low ping and/or also low data-transfer gamer have a bad impact on the hole server. I think I have seen this long time, but was not sure where it is coming from, But Gaming Minetest near 10 hours a day ... gives me 90% proof already.

Desour

by Desour » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote:I do not blame anyone who wants to keep their server mobile-user-free.
Thanks - I want, as I am sure low ping and/or also low data-transfer gamer have a bad impact on the hole server. I think I have seen this long time, but was not sure where it is coming from, But Gaming Minetest near 10 hours a day ... gives me 90% proof already.
It's not really the internet connection that makes people hate mobile users, it's more their behaviour. They are comparable to Guests, but even worse.

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Does anyone has got a mod request for me, so that I can try to make a new mod??
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

DS-minetest wrote:
Festus1965 wrote:
It's not really the internet connection that makes people hate mobile users, it's more their behaviour. They are comparable to Guests, but even worse.
Sure, I see it of the (my) new server open all with 0.4.x version - the hell in game.

Miniontoby wrote:Does anyone has got a mod request for me, so that I can try to make a new mod??
- yes, I wrote obove
can we build a mod, that

mean like on demand per command /showrtt player

or at join
* player jonied the game with RTT: x.xxx

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Festus1965 wrote: Sure, I see it of the (my) new server open all with 0.4.x version - the hell in game.
I've been running a custom fork of 0.4.14 for years, and never experienced this problem. Even mobile players with high network latency have no impact on performance or reliability. They simply time out, as would be expected.

I seem to recall your server has a lot more problems than other Minetest servers, so I'm inclined to think the issue is with your configuration. Perhaps you should check for hardware conflicts, BIOS and operating system updates, etc.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I seem to recall your server has a lot more problems than other Minetest servers, ...
I didnt talk about only my server, I see it on near 5 server I am often and get knowledge about some gamer, where and how.

But I will check my server ... when
* we have a server-list on every continent (same servers, but own ping showed), also client can choose which to use
* we can block other clients (the mobile blocker is a chance)
so that mean = I will check my server never hihi

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Miniontoby wrote:Does anyone has got a mod request for me, so that I can try to make a new mod??
- yes, I wrote obove
can we build a mod, that

mean like on demand per command /showrtt player

or at join
* player jonied the game with RTT: x.xxx
I think that I can't make that
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Can anyone make a slimeblock mod?