[Mod] Morebricks [morebricks]

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

[Mod] Morebricks [morebricks]

by CalebJ » Post

Introducing Morebricks

This mod adds 27 new types of bricks, with compatibility with moreblocks circular saw. I am interested in keeping this mod active, so if you have ideas for new bricks, say so! And, I'll try to add them.

License: MIT
Dependencies: default, moreblocks

You want a screenshot? Okay, here.
Spoiler
screenshot_20190604_080240.png
screenshot_20190604_080240.png (212.3 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
You can download or view it here and please let me know if you have any problems with the mod. Thanks!

UPDATE: Morebricks v2.0 can be downloaded here, with vertical bricks and moreblocks compatibility.
Last edited by CalebJ on Fri Oct 07, 2022 18:26, edited 5 times in total.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] Morebricks [morebricks]

by Linuxdirk » Post

Please add a license file to the repository and do not upload a zip file to GitLab but the code.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Thanks, Linuxdirk, I have fixed it. I'll keep that in my back pocket for future mods.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Have you thought of maybe using the new global texture options for the bricks.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

This looks sweet now.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Nathan.S wrote:Have you thought of maybe using the new global texture options for the bricks.
No, I haven't. I like uniqueness for each texture, some are industrial (no blemishes on the bricks), while others, for example Yellow, are mottled and would work good for an ancient building. Can you explain how this might work?

Thanks, Linuxdirk!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

CalebJ wrote:I like uniqueness for each texture, some are industrial (no blemishes on the bricks), while others, for example Yellow, are mottled and would work good for an ancient building
Maybe make them all look industrial and add a chipper tool or something that makes them look good for an ancient building.
Other than that: +1
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

That's a great idea, Lone_Wolf, thanks for the constructive critique. Perhaps it would be "Brick Aging Tool", and punching the brick with it, ages it accordingly?
Depends on what others think, but I'm willing to do this.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

CalebJ wrote:That's a great idea, Lone_Wolf, thanks for the constructive critique. Perhaps it would be "Brick Aging Tool", and punching the brick with it, ages it accordingly?
Anything works for me. I just want them industrial bricks >:)
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

CalebJ wrote:
Nathan.S wrote:Have you thought of maybe using the new global texture options for the bricks.
No, I haven't. I like uniqueness for each texture, some are industrial (no blemishes on the bricks), while others, for example Yellow, are mottled and would work good for an ancient building. Can you explain how this might work?

Thanks, Linuxdirk!
I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by global texture options. This pull request on the engine explains it fully. https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/6105 Each style of brick can/should remain different, but they could have small differences between each node as part of the larger texture.
This structure in the image is just one node, using this new feature.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Okay, sorry, I completely misunderstood you. I don't think I want to use this for the mod, but I'll consider it: I'll test it out to see what it does to my brick textures. Thanks!
Lone_Wolf wrote:Anything works for me. I just want them industrial bricks >:)
I'll be working on the code pretty soon, then. :D

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

CalebJ wrote:Introducing Morebricks

This mod adds 17 new types of bricks, with compatibility with moreblocks circular saw.
Do you want to say that there're possible horizontally sloped bricks now? If so, you have my big HIGH FIVE for that! (Gosh, this would probably fix once and for all the basic builder's kit :) )
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Nathan.S wrote: I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by global texture options. This pull request on the engine explains it fully. https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/6105 Each style of brick can/should remain different, but they could have small differences between each node as part of the larger texture.
This structure in the image is just one node, using this new feature.
This! What?!?! WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!?! This changes everything for texture pack makers.

AND THE WORLD ALIGNMENT WORKS FOR NODEBOXES TOO!!!!

This is figuratively all I ever wished for!

Thank you so much for coincidentaly showing me this. This changes so much for me.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:This! What?!?! WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!?! This changes everything for texture pack makers.

AND THE WORLD ALIGNMENT WORKS FOR NODEBOXES TOO!!!!
Yes, this is absolutely gorgeous. Even if world-aligned textures are not used for the nodes that it was initially made for.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Voxelproof, do you mean like this, for a retaining wall?
screenshot_20190605_102021.png
screenshot_20190605_102021.png (135.53 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
You can also use half slopes (slabs in the above screenshot), to make the transition smoother.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Version 1.1 released!

There are now 17 Industrial bricks, and 10 Aged bricks, all compatible with moreblocks. The "Aged" recipes involve dirt. In the future I may add a feature, where if an industrial brick is adjacent to water or dirt, it ages. That's for you to decide though :)
I've updated the Repository, and the old version will now go into hiding in my private projects.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

CalebJ wrote:Voxelproof, do you mean like this, for a retaining wall?

You can also use half slopes (slabs in the above screenshot), to make the transition smoother.
I mean something like this (this was built using "Noncubic" mod, but it covers only default bricks and uses micronodes which changes appearance of the textures):

Attachments
angled_wall.png
angled_wall.png (421.56 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Okay, now I follow you. But look what happens in the following screenshot:
Unfortunately, it seems, the bricks are placed horizontally, not vertically! That's a pity. It seems to be directly associated with the texture, and to fix it, I would have to make the whole block with horizontally facing bricks (which I will not do). Or, is there another way I can fix it?
Attachments
screenshot_20190605_143608.png
screenshot_20190605_143608.png (508.56 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

CalebJ wrote:Okay, now I follow you. But look what happens in the following screenshot:
Unfortunately, it seems, the bricks are placed horizontally, not vertically! That's a pity. It seems to be directly associated with the texture, and to fix it, I would have to make the whole block with horizontally facing bricks (which I will not do). Or, is there another way I can fix it?
Rotate the UV on that face (Assuming you made that model yourself with Blender....)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

If you use the moreblocks model: this is not fixable without replacing the model when it's sideways, using a new model with the correct UV mapping as Lone_Wolf said. World-aligned textures do not work on models, only on nodes and nodeboxes.

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I have been looking at some IRL examples of brick usage, to see whether I should fix this or not. It seems that vertical bricks are a thing, strangely, and their primary use in buildings is around windows. One size doesn't fit all, but multiple sizes can fit all: Therefore, I propose that I make all 27 current bricks craftable to "Vertical ______ Brick Block". The verticals will be able to be cut into correctly facing slopes, and you can use the vertical bricks for your windows ;-)

This would make a problem: then there would be 54 blocks (with moreblocks = 2ManyNodes), instead of the moderate 27. And whether its that big of a deal, I don't know.
However, I'm willing to fix it. If you want me to do this, I'll make it as a seperate version and people can download the 27 node version, or the 54 node version.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Maybe add a configuration option for that instead of having a second mod basically being the same code but rotated textures?

When the option is enabled for each node a second node with rotated texture is registered.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

CalebJ wrote:I have been looking at some IRL examples of brick usage, to see whether I should fix this or not. It seems that vertical bricks are a thing, strangely, and their primary use in buildings is around windows. One size doesn't fit all, but multiple sizes can fit all: Therefore, I propose that I make all 27 current bricks craftable to "Vertical ______ Brick Block". The verticals will be able to be cut into correctly facing slopes, and you can use the vertical bricks for your windows ;-)

This would make a problem: then there would be 54 blocks (with moreblocks = 2ManyNodes), instead of the moderate 27. And whether its that big of a deal, I don't know.
However, I'm willing to fix it. If you want me to do this, I'll make it as a seperate version and people can download the 27 node version, or the 54 node version.
Yes, it would be much more professional attitude from a point of view of architecture. MT's mods are already pretty close to making up a modest yet sufficient "young architect" playing tool (Dreambuilder is closest to this simple idea) and it would be a pity to fall short of providing such a fantastic and educationally valuable game :) I was even pondering creating a simple mod with all the brick textures coupled by their vertical twins, and re-registered in relevant mod (morebricks) however I'd be ashamed to go to the Forum with such a clumsy and unelegant from the coder's perspective solution.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Morebricks v2.0 Released!

Vertical bricks and recipes have been added.
View the repository here!