New world ancient ruins map idea

Red_King_Cyclops

New world ancient ruins map idea

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

I was thinking about building a map that featured builds of ancient new world ruins, but I would like to know if it would be a good idea. Here are some notable ruins that could be built in Minetest:
Spoiler
Teotihuacan

Tenochtitlan (note: building Tenochtitlan would be a reconstruction, since there are almost no ruins of Tenochtitlan left)

Machu Piccu

Chichen Itza

Tiwanaku

Chan Chan
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Fri Jun 28, 2019 01:08, edited 2 times in total.
Currently working on new mods.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: New world ancient ruins map idea

by twoelk » Post

there are some projects about recreating historic places that could easily be turned into ruins :-D
and there ae ruins of Tenochtitlan, although only few

Red_King_Cyclops

twoelk wrote:there are some projects about recreating historic places that could easily be turned into ruins :-D
and there ae ruins of Tenochtitlan, although only few
Your examples have given me the idea to make separate maps for each ruin, if I build the ruins.

solars

by solars » Post

I love the idea of a Minetest-Map of Machu Piccu.
But one warning for you: Its a very big task.
You will need time to build such a map. Much time. Months... Years...

If you start your building, I hope, you show us Images from your work.

My tips:
- Build it 2:1 (1 Minetest-Block is 0,5m) - The buildings looks more real then.
- Don't us to much mods. You will build a long time on the map. Not every mod will be working for years. The only mod, I recommend for such a map is WorldEdit.
- Make your own Texture Pack. Then, you can build a very realistic looking version with MinetestGame alone.

I hope, you have much fun with the building of original historic American cities. :)
My big Minetest map Karsthafen: English thread / German thread / Youtube / German webpage

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:I was thinking about building a map that featured builds of ancient new world ruins, but I would like to know if it would be a good idea.
Yes, it would be a very good idea on one condition: you'd have to take it very seriously and make your map a valuable educational tool. And this - as solars has mentioned in the previous post - needs time, quite a lot of time if you'd like to add considerable amount of veracity to your project. And not only time, but also some devotion and specialization - you'd need to make some research and study of the chosen site, decide on what scale you'd like to apply to your map, then, well, probably make some custom textures to make your buildings look more like architecture and not yet another casual sandbox creation. So... are you ready for this?... :)

Blocky buildings need perhaps even more work to look interesting. In Minecraft there's an ongoing project "Roma Antiqa" (yup, it's misspelled) in which the builder re-creates ancient Rome with stunning detailedness. It's only then that such large maps are interesting, in any other case, I'm afraid, it's waste of time given thousands of already existing maps of different interesting real structures done with little care about their accuracy and aesthetic polish.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Red_King_Cyclops

solars wrote:I love the idea of a Minetest-Map of Machu Piccu.
But one warning for you: Its a very big task.
You will need time to build such a map. Much time. Months... Years...

If you start your building, I hope, you show us Images from your work.

My tips:
- Build it 2:1 (1 Minetest-Block is 0,5m) - The buildings looks more real then.
- Don't us to much mods. You will build a long time on the map. Not every mod will be working for years. The only mod, I recommend for such a map is WorldEdit.
- Make your own Texture Pack. Then, you can build a very realistic looking version with MinetestGame alone.

I hope, you have much fun with the building of original historic American cities. :)
voxelproof wrote:
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:I was thinking about building a map that featured builds of ancient new world ruins, but I would like to know if it would be a good idea.
Yes, it would be a very good idea on one condition: you'd have to take it very seriously and make your map a valuable educational tool. And this - as solars has mentioned in the previous post - needs time, quite a lot of time if you'd like to add considerable amount of veracity to your project. And not only time, but also some devotion and specialization - you'd need to make some research and study of the chosen site, decide on what scale you'd like to apply to your map, then, well, probably make some custom textures to make your buildings look more like architecture and not yet another casual sandbox creation. So... are you ready for this?... :)

Blocky buildings need perhaps even more work to look interesting. In Minecraft there's an ongoing project "Roma Antiqa" (yup, it's misspelled) in which the builder re-creates ancient Rome with stunning detailedness. It's only then that such large maps are interesting, in any other case, I'm afraid, it's waste of time given thousands of already existing maps of different interesting real structures done with little care about their accuracy and aesthetic polish.
This is all very good advice. I'm not sure if I will build New World ruins, but it seems like a fun challenge that would pay off at the end. To get a feel for what I might try to do, I built a small Aztec peasant house with the earthbuild mod.
The earthbuild mod is somewhat good for building the houses, but I think it would be best if I made a texture pack, as you both were saying. I would definitely need a texture pack or a specialized mod for making shrines, friezes, etc., since the shrine in the corner is currently just an obsidian block.

Also, if I were to build Machu Picchu, should it be what it looked like about 500 years ago or what it looks like today (minus the tourists)?
Attachments
Inside
Inside
screenshot_20190627_130458.png (413.24 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Outside
Outside
screenshot_20190627_130451.png (616.13 KiB) Viewed 553 times

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Also, if I were to build Machu Picchu, should it be what it looked like about 500 years ago or what it looks like today (minus the tourists)?
If I was to build Machu Picchu I'd probably re-create it as ruins. Reconstructions of how the site looked like in the past when it was a thriving local settlement are more or less a matter of speculation, moreover ruins like these look more impressive than the complete urban structure, leaving more space for imagination.
(minus the tourists)
Oh no, just the opposite >:-> Tourists are necessary as sadly unavoidable staffage. There's actually ready to use mod featuring tourists ('zombies') if only the models were changed to make them look into their smartphones and take selfies all the time ;)

edit: The MC project I've mentioned in my previous post is "Roma Antiquae" (still misspelled cause the correct title should be "Roma Antiqua"). The YT trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rn4Dn13aMA
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

voxelproof wrote: Oh no, just the opposite >:-> Tourists are necessary as sadly unavoidable staffage. There's actually ready to use mod featuring tourists ('zombies') if only the models were changed to make them look into their smartphones and take selfies all the time ;)
Love that idea! Please create fitting textures! The zombies mod might not be the most fitting one. Most aggressive mobs in MT know just one thing: Stretch out your arms in front of you, aim at next best player, attack. That's not a very typical tourist behaviour. They "attack" places, not other humans. Perhaps there could be a special node that is very attractive for the tourist mobs ("you have to take a photo of this!") where they try to go to. Machines selling food and drinks could also be attractors. The "tourists" would need to loose intrest in one place after a short time and look for a new attraction to swarm to.

Tourists could also be a great way to turn all the food (especially the special food not needed for your hunger) and drinks into some form of money by selling it to them. They certainly wouldn't buy tons of cobble (though, perhaps, a *selected* special pebble *might* gain their intrest).

Not too large, pre-built ruins with tourist attractors could be placed by mapgen. And then the player might step in and build a bus stop and some vending machines to exploit the tourists :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

Red_King_Cyclops

Excellent idea, voxelproof. Those tourists! They would probably cause whole towns of museums, gift shops, and air bnbs to be created around the small ruins. If a tourist mod existed and was compatible with paleotest, it should cause the dinosaurs to try to eat the tourists.