[Game] The Infinite IKEA [Pre-Alpha]

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

[Game] The Infinite IKEA [Pre-Alpha]

by benrob0329 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:27

The Infinite IKEA is a Pre-Alpha Game based on SCP-3008. Basic game mechanics and biomes are currently being developed, but I'm posting this here as a formal "hey, this is a thing that's being made". Help is appreciated, even if it's just discussion or information gathering.

Attachments
ikea.png
(410.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Social: YouTube Peertube Matrix Room: #minetest:tchncs.de | Games: The Infinite IKEA

Chem871

GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Nyx Serris

Re: [Game] The Infinite IKEA [Pre-Alpha]

by Chem871 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 21:15

You like SPCs?!!??!
Also, nice idea. Should have some monsters with khaki pants.
What is SCP-055 again? I forgot.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Jun 13, 2019 01:03

Chem871 wrote:Should have some monsters with khaki pants.

Customers who got lost, or people working there on the run from customers?
A list of my mods can be found here.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Sat Jun 15, 2019 17:51

benrob0329 wrote:The Infinite IKEA is a Pre-Alpha Game based on

Your game got interested me a lot. Since I worked some time in another huuuge store, I may hint a few ideas which you might consider adding into your game. First and foremost: CEOs as bosses. Secondly: managers as common monsters. Game scoring: placing certain items on shelves in given configuration in limited time with 'power-ups' consisting on changing orders in the last minute. Third idea: health points deteriorationg after each morning stand-up meeting with manager.

And the game would gain a lot using Horror TP :-o

Interesting. Looking forward to the progress of your endeavour :)
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>

GreenDimond

GitHub: GreenXenith
IRC: GreenDimond
In-game: GreenDimond

by GreenDimond » Sat Jun 15, 2019 23:48

This game is based on SCP-3008 (see OP for link). If you don't know what this is, then please read a little bit.
The only mobs [for now] will be SCP-30008-2, which are similar to IKEA employees. They will behave as they are depicted in the SCP entry.
+ Sneak peak
Y▹uTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord | GreenDimond#3232

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Wed Jun 19, 2019 20:21

Since IKEA is a Swedish store, maybe you could have some items have Swedish names.
2+2=4. Always.

TalkLounge

GitHub: TalkLounge
In-game: TalkLounge

by TalkLounge » Tue Jun 25, 2019 16:55

depends.txt with light_api is missing in the warehouse mod, because the warehouse uses light.register_light in Line 19 from the light_api mod
Subgames Server: Sky World Subgames German Survival Server: Wildes Land 2 E-Mail: talklounge@yahoo.de

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 21:18

depends.txt is deprecated, mod.conf is used now.
Social: YouTube Peertube Matrix Room: #minetest:tchncs.de | Games: The Infinite IKEA

migdyn

GitHub: migdyn
In-game: migdyn

by migdyn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:49

I read the SCP-3008 story that you provided. I'm also 100% that it's fake. It doesn't say any information about the location. It's just a scam.
"When I try to send e-mail, the whole Internet shuts down!'
CLICK TO SEE MY MT MODS Poll: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21728

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Aug 08, 2019 15:54

migdyn wrote:I read the SCP-3008 story that you provided. I'm also 100% that it's fake. It doesn't say any information about the location. It's just a scam.

This is absolutely valid information about a facility located at ████.

migdyn

by migdyn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 21:05

It can't be valid information, the same website has pages in it that describe other completely made-up stories + they threaten their readers that they will kill them. It also includes a guide about writing these fake stories.

The game idea is great, but the thing that you were inspired by is a complete scam.
CLICK TO SEE MY MT MODS Poll: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21728

pandaro

GitHub: pandaro

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 23:43

It's not a scam, it's a creative story that is organized as though it were a real thing. I'm sure everyone here knows without a shadow of doubt that the story is made up.

Stix

IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Fri Aug 09, 2019 00:33

v-rob wrote:It's not a scam, it's a creative story that is organized as though it were a real thing. I'm sure everyone here knows without a shadow of doubt that the story is made up.

Well he also fell for an obvious april fools joke by mojang and used it to crap on them, to his own embarrassment, so i wouldnt be suprised ;)

About the game, i think its a really neat concept, and ill definitely be trying it out when its at a working version. Im really glad i saw this post when it came out because it introduced me to the SCP series :)
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

migdyn

by migdyn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 08:51

It's okay as long as these stories have a header like [THIS IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY], [THIS IS A CREEPY-PASTA, DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY], etc.

All these unmarked april fools jokes create a Boy Who Cried wolf situations. After seeing a few of them on the MT forums, I was convinced that VanessaE's post about her husband/her (I don't exactly remember who) having cancer or some other disease as an April Fools joke.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:27

Dude … The whole SCP thing is so over-the-top that such disclaimers are absolutely unnecessary. I’m sorry for you that you don’t get the entertainment and chilly fun from it like it’s intended.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 15:49

migdyn wrote:It's okay as long as these stories have a header like [THIS IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY], [THIS IS A CREEPY-PASTA, DON'T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY], etc.

That's not necessary here because it's obvious to most readers that the story is made up (it does contradict what we know about our reality) - like an Outer Limits episode or (to go back further in history) a fairy tale. Entertaining, fun, may even carry a message or inspire some thinking (often in science fiction stories: "What makes us humans?", or "Did the hero act correctly? How can such a moral dilemma be solved?").

migdyn wrote:All these unmarked april fools jokes create a Boy Who Cried wolf situations.

There are some indications that may help. For example, if someone posts something about another person who also participates on the forum, then that is in general not so trustworthy information. It may be true; even if it is true, the poster may have misunderstood what the other one was trying to say; the reader may have misunderstood something; it may also be completely made up. If what was posted feels important, I usually try to seek confirmation from other people who have proven to be trustworthy in the past. There's also the topic a joke is about. Not all stories on the internet about someone having a disease or having died are true. Our feelings for other human beeings are important. Descent people with taste don't joke about such topics. Yet sometimes bad things happen to people, and sometimes they're shared on the internet with friends.

migdyn wrote:It can't be valid information, the same website has pages in it that describe other completely made-up stories + they threaten their readers that they will kill them. It also includes a guide about writing these fake stories.

You did the right thing: You were usure about a web page and investigated further what else can be found there and how believable it is. That already provided enough information to figure out that the story is imagined and doesn't have much to do with reality. That's good! Almost anybody can claim almost anything on the internet. It's important to know what to do in order to find out if something may be true or not. You'll get better at it with more practice, and it is definitely worth and necessary to practice, but you'll also never reach perfection. There's a local newspaper here that published some stories that where made up. The guy responsible seemed such a friendly person that all the safeguards the newspaper had (and they had many) failed. This is of course an exception. But all people write and say will also be biased to some degree. Who says something with which motivation is often important. People may also just err and believe something to be true because they are mistaken. Some people are ill and can'd distinguish between what is true and what is not.

So, in the end, let's just say that life is complicated and we all try to get along as well as we can :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

migdyn

by migdyn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 19:53

I know. I just didn't realize it's a creepypasta website. At the first glance it looked a bit like one of these sensational fake news websites

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 04:58

I assure you that the SCP Wiki contains completely real and factual information which has been declassified by the SCP Foundation and is not in any way, shape, or form a collaborative writing project founded on 4chan.

migdyn

by migdyn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57

The SCP-3008 didn't mention them, but are you going to add these Smalland play areas? This was just a suggestion

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 14:32

It won't be high on the priority list, but it'll most likely be added at some point. (Merge Requests welcome)

Return to WIP Games