In-Dev Game Concept. [.Zip files]

ShadMOrdre

In-Dev Game Concept. [.Zip files]

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I'd like to share my "development" environment. This is a collection of mods in which I develop. I am working to consolidate most of this, and it is my opinion that mods providing API functionality should be separate from those mods that use the API and provide inworld objects, be it mobs, items, or otherwise.

There are lots of mods included in this package, and it is roughly an 80MB download in total. There are also additional mods that should be included, but are currently broken or otherwise will not work, and so I've left those out so as to provide a fully functional game prototype.

What is the purpose of this game? The goal is to provide a framework in which everyday users and players can create and tailor a game of their choosing simply by selecting a few options.

Game possibilities: RTS, RPG, 3D Shooter, 4x Turn based, parkour, escape room, CTF, hide and seek, stop the train, you name it.

The devil will be in the details, many of which are not yet fleshed out.

I know, no one likes a .zip file. For those willing to download and investigate, you'll understand why. There is a lot of development work going on in multiple mods simultaneously. There are a lot of mods included. This is simply too much to get posted to github individually, at this time. This should be done, but there is so much overlap between some of these mods, that it doesn't seem entirely fair to post them as either of the parent mods, when some will disappear, having been absorbed into other mods.

Take a peak, and share your thoughts, if you are willing to suffer a .zip file(s).

DOWNLOAD:
Download from github

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: In-Dev Game Concept. [.Zip files]

by TumeniNodes » Post

is this a "game", or mods?
I followed your instructions and get nothing... something's missing in the set up instructions

I did, at one point tried to launch the world under MTG (as no new game is installed), but it threw a naming conflict for xocean
I became frustrated after my fourth attempt.
A Wonderful World

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Tumeni,

Thanks for pointing out my omission.

The download package is a world folder, within which is a game/mods folder. In the mods folder are 5 .zip files that will also need to be unzipped. This was done to accommodate githubs file size limit of 25mb. Each of the zips are collections of mods, organized into modpacks. Once the mods/.zip files have been extracted, you should be able to load the world.

This is a "game" that is currently distributed as a world map. You can, if you choose, create an entirely new world of your choosing, and copy the game folder to the new world folder, thus enabling this game concept on any world.

There is also a readme file that should contain some more info.

Please let me know if this works for you, or if I need to rethink this method of distribution.

Thanks much for the feedback!

Shad

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Ah, ok now I get it... it threw me off being rather unconventional.
I'll give it another go tonight or tomorrow. Thank you

It may be better to package it up as just a game, this may throw others off and will impact the number of people testing it out. (just an opinion)
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

So far, I just get spawned into a completely empty world.
I followed the instructions to the letter (I think) :P
Will try again at a later date, as I am very interested in parts of the world you've been showing
A Wonderful World

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Tumeni,

I thought about a game package, but thought most people were more likely to download a worldmap as a zip file, than a game as a zip.

As for the completely empty world, it should not be. You should see the lib_materials / lib_ecology mods in action, right at spawn, in the tropical flora that surrounds you, assuming you spawned into the provided world.

Towns should spawn in various places, you'll have to seek those out. There are Gambit, Medieval, Tent, and Sand cities from mg_villages mod, as well as some custom village types I've toyed with, including schems from Farlands, and the settlements mod.

If you spend a short amount of time at spawn, elephants, zebra, and others should spawn nearby. Currently, all the mobs in the included mobs_animals_2 mod should spawn inworld. This is especially true of ocean life.

Many of the mods that are included that "should" spawn something may or are outright broken, only due to craft recipes using default nodes, instead of the lib_materials / lib_ecology nodes that make up the worlds in this "game" / "map" project.

The devil is in the details. There are many. Most of them are standardized, just not aliased properly. A pull request was submitted for lib_materials to add correct aliases, and I do believe that would actually solve some of this. Ultimately, however, I feel that many of the mods can be / should be consolidated, rewritten, rethought, or otherwise worked in such a way that they would probably diverge too much from the parent mod.

Shad